Author Topic: Trump says Amazon.com has 'a huge antitrust problem'  (Read 814 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Trump says Amazon.com has 'a huge antitrust problem'
« on: May 12, 2016, 08:49:15 PM »
I guess now it's the job of the US President to "go after" private companies in the USA.   :-X

U.S. Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump said on Thursday that Amazon.com, the world's biggest online retailer, has "a huge antitrust problem."

In an interview on Fox News, Trump also said Amazon Chief Executive Jeff Bezos, who owns the Washington Post, is using the newspaper to influence politicians in Washington to help Amazon on taxes.

"This (Washington Post) is owned as a toy by Jeff Bezos, who controls Amazon. Amazon is getting away with murder tax-wise. He's using the Washington Post for power so that the politicians in Washington don't tax Amazon like they should be taxed," Trump said.

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads
"He's using the Washington Post ... for political purposes to save Amazon in terms of taxes and in terms of antitrust," Trump said.

"He thinks I'll go after him for antitrust. Because he's got a huge antitrust problem because he's controlling so much, Amazon is controlling so much of what they are doing," Trump said.

Amazon did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
Re: Trump says Amazon.com has 'a huge antitrust problem'
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 10:34:43 PM »
I guess now it's the job of the US President to "go after" private companies in the USA.   :-X

It is if they are in violation of antitrust...Think of Standard Oil...

Amazon needs breaking up...and online retailers need to be subject to the sales tax of where the purchaser lives.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 10:51:21 PM »
It is if they are in violation of antitrust...Think of Standard Oil...

Amazon needs breaking up...and online retailers need to be subject to the sales tax of where the purchaser lives.

Maybe, but how are the in violation? By lobbying?

What company doesn't do that?

Also, why does Amazon need breaking up?

sync pulse

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 10:54:56 PM »

Also, why does Amazon need breaking up?

Too much influence...again...thin k of Standard Oil at the turn of the 19TH to 20TH Century...

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 11:05:08 PM »
Too much influence...again...thin k of Standard oil at the turn of the 19TH to 20TH Century...

Influence isn't necessarily bad.

Just because you break up a company doesn't mean it's for the best.

Think about AT&T in the 80s... Government breaks them up and tens of thousands of jobs are lost.... innovation is stifled.

I think Amazon is fine and should be left alone.

sync pulse

• Getbig V

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 11:28:50 PM »
For the third time...Think of Standard Oil.   If you can't see the parallels...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Oil_Co._of_New_Jersey_v._United_States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman_Antitrust_Act

Why would I care about Standard oil? Amazon doesn't have a monopoly. Everyone sells shit online.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 11:35:02 PM »
Why would I care about Standard oil? Amazon doesn't have a monopoly. Everyone sells shit online.

...it's wearisome to try and teach American History post 1865 in a series of text messages...

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 12:03:50 AM »
...it's wearisome to try and teach American History post 1865 in a series of text messages...

I understand what you are trying to say. I just don't see the correlation between them and Amazon.

Sorry.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 06:33:35 AM »
Is it the job of the U.S. President to name certain companies to target?

Does he own stock in Amazon competitors? ;)

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 08:02:53 AM »
Technically he's right on this point as well. I don't disagree with some of the general ideas that Trump has about economics and I think anti-trust can be BS.

Think of Amazon as the new smart tech Wal Mart. They passed Wal Mart as largest retailer last year and their cloud and media and product businesses are effective as well. Their business plan is to eat up all market share at a near loss and then have control of everything...including direct shipping....even UPS and FedEx are scared as they build regional direct-ship hubs all over the US.

I see where they would fall under anti-trust but I don't know what level of intervention I would be comfortable with. I would need more info as it is true they are doing some really good things with tech.

There is no way around the fact that they are killing the retailer - large and small, brick and mortar and internet - right now with their model. It's not a net job creation story, I can tell you that much.