Author Topic: 70's Bodybuilding Diet  (Read 15703 times)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: 70's Bodybuilding Diet
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2016, 11:12:24 AM »
I'm pretty lean considering I'm an old man. Diet is is just no complex carbs after lunch. I don't count macros whatsoever. Lots of fruit and vegetables and moderate protein intake. Currently on an 8 week eca cycle which ends in a few days. I'm a caffeine addict anyways.

Great work dude!
Y

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2016, 11:33:26 AM »
You should try Bullet proof coffee,  you add grass fed butter, coconut oil,  and if you want mct oil to your coffee. .you can blend it to make sort of like a latte..gives you added fat (energy)

I will try it out thanks.

anyways 3 days basically protein, vegtables(mainly mixed greens) and added oils

I seem to be functioning ok on this so far, and if I get to the point where I needed a break I will get a small pizza with a can of regular coke, or a big bowl of fancy cheesy ravioli with some crusty bread. Ok I have to stop writing about those things lol.

But to be honest, it's having the sugar going down to nill that I notice, not a bad withdrawal but my body is reminding me of those first couple months after quitting alcohol and drugs, but in a mild way, its telling me I took something I was dependant on out of the equation, it's like a half withdrawal/half euphoric feeling.

Oh and I tend to get hungry only every 4-5 hours
"

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2016, 11:53:16 AM »
Great work dude!

Thanks. Still can't work out properly due to my bicep tear but I'm about 60-70% back to my pre-injury weights since my surgery in Oct. I'd lift more but I'm a little paranoid and want to give it more healing time.

Pic is pre/post sugery/current

Fook, you are about my age......could have guessed by username, I'm a fellow metalhead from 80s/90s....

Oh yeah. I like all the modern stuff too.

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • "The World Meets Nobody Half Way"
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2016, 11:57:30 AM »
I like this fat cycle approach, 3 days 70's style (red meat, eggs, cottage cheese) 3 days Palumbo style (moderate fat from nuts, oils) 1 carb day. Seems to be working well

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2016, 04:30:10 PM »
Does anyone do the low carb thing without coffee???

WannaBePro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2016, 06:08:39 PM »
hey wanna be pro when you went real  low carb did you lose water alot easier on the low  carbs  .   

At first, but then the body adjusts. Plus I ate a ton of salt haha. I'd salt the shit out of everything thinking it'll help me retain water for workouts and whatnot. I retain water naturally though, I'm a fatass at heart, so its easy for me to gain fat and retain water. Not sure if the two are related, but that seems to be the case with me.

WannaBePro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2016, 06:11:08 PM »
^^
TRY 2 tablespoons whipping cream (heavy cream) in your coffee- VERY low-carb, and it just works!!!!  Tastes like you used milk (which is too high-carb).

Nah I'm good. I'm no longer on keto, and even if I was I don't even like the taste of milk or cream. Especially cream... Never liked the taste of it.

WannaBePro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2016, 06:15:22 PM »

I usually don't have much or any coffee on weekends/holidays. I could go without coffee no problem on keto, problem is I love the taste of coffee too much haha.
I don't think coffee is diet specific, everyone who drinks it will drinking regardless of diet. And if someone doesn't like or drink caffeinated drinks, they won't on keto, unless its the first few weeks as their body adjusts and they may feel a bit sluggish. The benefit of keto is you don't have those ups and downs in energy. That's what attracted me to it in the first place. I found out later on that high fat diets are actually very muscle sparing, so that's another benefit I guess. I almost wanna just go back to eating keto now haha!

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2016, 07:27:23 PM »
. I actually did very well, mentally, on this diet. I guess I'm just one of those people who does well on fat-based diets.

Same.here. I dont see what the big deal is. Actually think all this brain fog , strength loss stuff is highly over exaggerated.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2016, 07:28:47 PM »
Thanks. Still can't work out properly due to my bicep tear but I'm about 60-70% back to my pre-injury weights since my surgery in Oct. I'd lift more but I'm a little paranoid and want to give it more healing time.

Pic is pre/post sugery/current

Oh yeah. I like all the modern stuff too.
nice man,,good to hear your healing,,nice abs' no homo'i will be 48 soon as well..

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2016, 07:40:23 PM »
At first, but then the body adjusts. Plus I ate a ton of salt haha. I'd salt the shit out of everything thinking it'll help me retain water for workouts and whatnot. I retain water naturally though, I'm a fatass at heart, so its easy for me to gain fat and retain water. Not sure if the two are related, but that seems to be the case with me.

i am the same way ,    actually, im going to try low carb again, ive been doing a ton of cardio at higher carbs but not getting as lean as i would like to .

now that i remember i had no issues with energy when i did low carb once my body got used to it, strength actually went up as well.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2016, 08:22:31 PM »
I just eat reasonably clean. It isn't difficult unless I'm near a rib joint.

Azure

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2016, 08:25:59 PM »
I'm pretty lean considering I'm an old man. Diet is is just no complex carbs after lunch. I don't count macros whatsoever. Lots of fruit and vegetables and moderate protein intake. Currently on an 8 week eca cycle which ends in a few days. I'm a caffeine addict anyways.

This. 

I tried one of these new school coaches with all that complicated diet stuff and it was a complete waste of time.  I keep it simple and basic and if I have to lean out for something, then I drop carbs except for the first meal of the day and we are good.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2016, 12:06:43 AM »
thanks for all the info wannabepro

i want to try keto at least once in my life.  just a lot of mental hurdles to get over -- atherosclerosis being the big one....

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2016, 01:14:47 AM »
Reading about diets of fhe 70's bbodybuilers, majority of them were pretty much doing a keto diet with a weekly carb up, fats coming from red meat, egg yolks, and cottage cheese. This diet got them in shape with little to no cardio, when did bodybuilders begin to steer away from this diet and venture into incorporating the lower fat, carb cycle type approach? Seems like the guys in the 70s had the right formula? I know i had success with a cutting keto diet for my second show, but now looking into doing more of this 70s type of diet as a maintainance diet any of you guys have success with this old school approach ?

You can't handle insulin eating carbs once a week.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2016, 05:28:07 AM »
^^
For about 12 years after coming back from my Bosnia deployment, I could NOT stand the smell, taste, anything to do with coffee... something to do with the cordite smell in all the artillery/mortars exploding around us near Srebrenica.  If I had just a sip, all I'd taste is a sharp SULFUR smell, I'm not kidding!!
Then, all of a sudden after 12 years it just disappeared!!  Life is funny!
P.S.  All that time, I did the Keto diet 6 days a week with one cheat day (still do) and when I couldn't have coffee, I LOVED Green Tea- the national drink of Japan!

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2016, 05:32:06 AM »

Solid for a man of your age.  Props dude. 

The ephedrine definitely helps, but the insomnia and joint pain is a bitch.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2016, 06:24:16 AM »
nice man,,good to hear your healing,,nice abs' no homo'i will be 48 soon as well..

Thanks man. 1968 was a good year.

This.  

I tried one of these new school coaches with all that complicated diet stuff and it was a complete waste of time.  I keep it simple and basic and if I have to lean out for something, then I drop carbs except for the first meal of the day and we are good.

Eating a healthy always works best imo. Keeps you young and full of energy.

Solid for a man of your age.  Props dude.  

The ephedrine definitely helps, but the insomnia and joint pain is a bitch.

Thanks. I had a few days where sleeping was tough, but that's probably due to personal shit going on and my brain running things over. Sleep went back to normal thankfully. I've never had joint pain thankfully.

WannaBePro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2016, 08:20:42 AM »
thanks for all the info wannabepro

i want to try keto at least once in my life.  just a lot of mental hurdles to get over -- atherosclerosis being the big one....

No problem, bro. Ketosis does have a lot of health benefits, a surprising amount, actually. If you want more info look up some interviews with Dr. D'Agastino, he's a wealth of information on ketosis. He does research at Florida State (I believe) on ketosis specifically, mainly dealing with seizures and health improvements. I bought some beta-hydroxy buterate, just to try it out, he's the one who developed it to help people get into nutritional ketosis faster than fasting or cutting carbs until ketosis sets in.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2016, 01:11:12 PM »
No problem, bro. Ketosis does have a lot of health benefits, a surprising amount, actually. If you want more info look up some interviews with Dr. D'Agastino, he's a wealth of information on ketosis. He does research at Florida State (I believe) on ketosis specifically, mainly dealing with seizures and health improvements. I bought some beta-hydroxy buterate, just to try it out, he's the one who developed it to help people get into nutritional ketosis faster than fasting or cutting carbs until ketosis sets in.

funny you should mention this, i just listened to a podcast with him and rhonda patrick the other day.  going to re-listen soon, i think.

i also wanna finish lyle mcdonalds "the ketogenic diet".  got about halfway through a while back -- very informative.

WannaBePro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2016, 01:36:43 PM »
funny you should mention this, i just listened to a podcast with him and rhonda patrick the other day.  going to re-listen soon, i think.

i also wanna finish lyle mcdonalds "the ketogenic diet".  got about halfway through a while back -- very informative.

I read his Ultimate Diet 2.0, very informative. Kind of a cyclical ketogenic diet, which is apparently more accurate than Dan Duchane's keto diet. I think that book was meant to be the improved version of Dan's diet ideas. But I always take these things with a grain of salt. I've read Kiefer's carb nite and carb backloading as well, and in theory it all sounds great. In practice, carb nite would work well as its just a cyclical keto diet with a refeed 1 night a week. However, he says in the book that calories don't count and you can basically eat as much as you like as long as its fat and protein. That's a fast track to getting fat, imo. In carb backloading he says to stuff your face with simple carbs at night and you won't put on fat. Again, all bullshit, unless you have a bird appetite and get full from a couple donuts or whatever it was he suggested in the ebook.
In the end its all about calorie balance, but I believe keto just makes it easier to be in a caloric deficit than on a carb-based diet.

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • "The World Meets Nobody Half Way"
« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2016, 05:18:40 PM »
I think the key to the carb refeed, is to keep the majority of the cals carbs, like 80% and the rest protein, very little fat for the day, usually by the end of the day, you can't wait to get back on keto again for the week, atleast this is my experience.

WannaBePro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2016, 07:54:32 PM »
I think the key to the carb refeed, is to keep the majority of the cals carbs, like 80% and the rest protein, very little fat for the day, usually by the end of the day, you can't wait to get back on keto again for the week, atleast this is my experience.

100% agreed!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2016, 01:59:46 PM »
What was your diet Wes? You did get in shape. Not trolling serious question.
I`m in shape right now dude............NABBA Nationals contest in November,plus I like to get lean in the summer.

If all goes as planned,I`ll be better than I ever was at 61 years of age this Nov.,...............training hard and eating clean right now!

Don`t call it a comeback !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111  :D

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2016, 02:28:35 PM »
well so far since last wednesday.

stuck to it until Saturday evening then reluctantly gave myself a 2 hour window to eat whatever I fancied
I had...
1-small cheese tortellini tray

2- 200gms grandma's potato salad from same deli

3- Peanut butter cliff bar(wanted a chocolate bar so I went with a glorified candy bar instead)

4- cheese panzerotti from pizza pizza with a real can of fucking coke

I enjoyed the meal

And went back to eating low to no carb high fat right after.

Oh and I am down 6 lbs and my strength is still intact

"