Author Topic: What Is The Proper Way Of Doing The Lateral Raise?  (Read 11716 times)

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
Re: What Is The Proper Way Of Doing The Lateral Raise?
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2016, 12:27:53 AM »
Bro science.  ::)

Though it's written like a true bro scientist, I believe there's some truth in his words. You're stronger when your hands are above your elbows, simply because the resistance shifts from the lateral to the front head of your shoulders, which is a stronger part of your shoulder. A side raise becomes much more challenging for the lateral part when you perform them with your elbows on top.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2016, 01:53:37 AM »
Though it's written like a true bro scientist, I believe there's some truth in his words. You're stronger when your hands are above your elbows, simply because the resistance shifts from the lateral to the front head of your shoulders, which is a stronger part of your shoulder. A side raise becomes much more challenging for the lateral part when you perform them with your elbows on top.
The Side raise is mainly for the "Medial Head" and but gives minor stimulation to the posterior and anterior heads.. but please feel free to post a video demonstration of your side raise   :)
shifting stress to the anterior head is defeating the object of the exercise.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2016, 02:10:48 AM »
This one ..

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2016, 04:55:27 AM »
The Side raise is mainly for the "Medial Head" and but gives minor stimulation to the posterior and anterior heads.. but please feel free to post a video demonstration of your side raise   :)
shifting stress to the anterior head is defeating the object of the exercise.

You can talk about biomechanics as much as you like, but the inner homo in you still wants to see & meet other male members of this forum...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2016, 04:58:26 AM »
You can talk about biomechanics as much as you like, but the inner homo in you still wants to see & meet other male members of this forum...
no wonder you wrote you need a "Personal" trainer...  ;)

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2016, 04:59:53 AM »
no wonder you wrote you need a "Personal" trainer...  ;)

Why not post my quotes right away?

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2016, 05:14:00 AM »
a

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2016, 06:39:39 AM »
Do it the way Arnold did in his 1980 rebuilt comeback video ...

Just kidding

WoooSHHHHHHHHH

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2016, 06:59:55 AM »
i DO MINE BEHIND THE BACK...........MUCH BETTER STRETCH AND SHIT!!

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2016, 07:37:21 AM »
i DO MINE BEHIND THE BACK...........MUCH BETTER STRETCH AND SHIT!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2016, 07:41:21 AM »

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2016, 07:43:54 AM »

Hahaha.  Straight out of Vegas.  I knew I liked him for good reason.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2016, 12:04:34 PM »
you should care because unlike you i do not need a "Personal" trainer. you might learn something.

Funny when you, yourself wrote that you work as a "personal" Trainer.. ;D

stick to your Online business.

Again, nobody cares Pedonkyfucker

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2016, 02:13:17 PM »
Just my view...whatever:   The proper way to do lateral raises would to use a Nautilus shoulder/delt machine (original version), with the 3 phase cam.  Where the resistance is on the elbows during the raise, where it should be, for better leverage and recruitment of the delt's themselves. . There are copied versions around, some fairly close to the original Nautilus machine, without the patten cam.  Can also work well, as long as the resistance is kept on the elbows....the main advantage of such machines.

The DB proper way.....purist BB'ing: The DB lateral raise is an extension movement, where the elbows should always lead the upwards motion, not the DB's themselves. Try keeping the focus on the path of the elbows and not on gripping the DB's (light grip preferred). Start with the DB's against the side of the legs, not in front of the body, and keep the elbows in line with the shoulder/head...even back a bit, if you can. Raising the elbows/DB's much higher that the shoulder girdle can bring the traps into play.  Releasing some tension on the delts themselves, though they are still involved.

Might suggest doing one hand/delt at a time, allowing a deeper focus on the lateral raise. Either with a machine (nautilus for example) or a DB. Sitting can be a better option for a lot of guy's, reducing any body English that may be involved.

(with heavier style lateral head/delt workouts, cheating is pretty much the thing. Even running the rack, which can be an ultimate delt destroyer. Pretty intense going up and back down a DB rack to the original pair of 10's you may have started with. One rep, grab  the next DB in line, one rep, than to the next heavier DB, etc, etc, etc.. Than back down the rack again. Believe the original concept was for DB overhead preses or DB curls. Another delt style is to start with DB's in front of the body, raise them all the way up and than lowering them behind the body, than raise again and back to in front of the body...that's considered one rep. DB lateral raises, with the arms bent at around a 45 degree angle, is still pretty common also. And as in most versions, the elbows lead)

Good Luck.
F