Author Topic: Mark Dugdale "Driven" dvd launch...  (Read 11973 times)

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
Re: Mark Dugdale "Driven" dvd launch...
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2006, 02:19:31 PM »
Markus' "Made in Germany" is really good. Monster workouts and Markus is a funny guy. The scene were he goes shopping is classic.

ssparty

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2006, 03:36:39 PM »
from the other side.....

DRIVEN
The review
By Steve Buccilli

The DVD market is saturated. Just about every month, 2 or 3 new dvd’s hit the public, each vying for our hard earned dollars. Over the year’s many people have made their mark in this industry. Dorian with his Blood and Guts, Mits with his BFTO’s and other athletes such Markus Ruhl, Jay Cutler, Dennis James, and Ronnie have all put out numerous dvd’s; each putting their unique spin on this take of their training and lifestyle.
A lot of dvd’s are good, provided you’re a fan of that specific athlete. Some entertain and others educate. Some new dvd’s actually de-emphasize training in favor of lifestyle (Lee Priest new series is one example). So why should you buy Mark Dugdale’s new DVD? I’m about to tell.
It would be a crime, in my opinion, to call this a dvd. Why? Because its more of a film. It’s done so well that it looks like a documentary you might see on the discovery channel or even in a theater. I truly mean this. I truly believe if it would be slightly re-edited to reduce some of the training routines, that this film could be seen on TV or at film festivals. I also think that if it was presented in this way the general public would both understand and appreciate what bodybuilders go through, gaining some much need respect in the process.
The film is broken down into various segments. Lifestyle, relationships, family, business, eating and nutrition, contest footage, and training. So that is how I will tackle this review.
Training footage. Hardcore fans will love and appreciate these scenes. Although I was somewhat disappointed that there is no quad routine, that feeling quickly left, when I saw how intense and heavy Mark trains. He uses extremely good form and high intensity. He is not as big as Dorian, but his workouts are very Dorianesque. Highlights include, super heavy dumbbell presses, heavy incline presses, super strict back workouts, an awesome delt workout. There is one scene in which Mark is doing stiff legged deadlifts for hamstrings. He has about 4 or 5, 35 lbs plates per side. I thought to myself why use the 35’s? Why not the 45’s? Then I see why. You can lower the bar farther down and get a better stretch. DUH! Also the banter that goes between Mark and his wife and training partners is funny and entertaining.
Contest footage. We see in this film, the footage from the 2006 Ironman. It begins with the weigh in, tanning, Christina oiling him up, his mandatory’s and his posing routine. During his posing routine Mark hits some of the same poses Bob Paris made famous and let me say this. He is the only modern day bodybuilder who can pull off that kneeling twisting, on arm behind the head shot. He looks like a statue that Michelangelo himself created. There is some gym posing footage and that’s when you how big and ripped Mark truly has become.
Business man. Marks business is a fresh food supplier specializing in vegetables. His two factories are huge. In this segment which is somewhat short, the viewer gets the appreciation for what it takes to be successful in business, and juggle the discipline of a bodybuilding lifestyle.
Nutrition, shopping, and eating. There is one segment that is a little funny in which we see Mark get all his supplements read for the day. It looked to me that there had to be at least a 100 different pills (I’m exaggerating). His trip to the store has Mark buying chicken breast, oatmeal and orange roughy. We also see Mark eat his fish while the family eats a spaghetti dinner. Its refreshing to see a family having dinner together.
Lifestyle, religion, family and love story. This is actually my favorite segment. Mark’s religion is very important to him, and yet he never once comes across as a “holier then thou” type of person. His strong Christian beliefs are ingrained in every aspect of life, from raising his beautiful 3 daughters, to his wonderful loving relationship with Christina. Mark and Christina both talk about how they met and fell in love. Mark also has footage of reading to his girls and putting them to bed. As well as just being a great father around the house, as he helps out with dinner and with the girls. Going out to eat and going to church are also footage that is included.

The bottom line is that this film is truly unique. I have never seen anything like and truly love it. I can watch this over and over again. Its truly a love story for both Mark’s love of bodybuilding but also his love for his wife and family and Christ.
Mark truly represents everything that is good about our sport, but also can teach all of us what is important in life.
Instead of ending this review like I typically do, I want to say thank you to Mark and Christina for letting us into their lives and showing us what is truly important.

Thanks Mark and Christina.

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2006, 04:24:37 PM »
Isn't this starting to become soliciting which is prohibated here ;D
I

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2006, 05:21:56 PM »
from the other side.....

DRIVEN
The review
By Steve Buccilli

The DVD market is saturated. Just about every month, 2 or 3 new dvd’s hit the public, each vying for our hard earned dollars. Over the year’s many people have made their mark in this industry. Dorian with his Blood and Guts, Mits with his BFTO’s and other athletes such Markus Ruhl, Jay Cutler, Dennis James, and Ronnie have all put out numerous dvd’s; each putting their unique spin on this take of their training and lifestyle.
A lot of dvd’s are good, provided you’re a fan of that specific athlete. Some entertain and others educate. Some new dvd’s actually de-emphasize training in favor of lifestyle (Lee Priest new series is one example). So why should you buy Mark Dugdale’s new DVD? I’m about to tell.
It would be a crime, in my opinion, to call this a dvd. Why? Because its more of a film. It’s done so well that it looks like a documentary you might see on the discovery channel or even in a theater. I truly mean this. I truly believe if it would be slightly re-edited to reduce some of the training routines, that this film could be seen on TV or at film festivals. I also think that if it was presented in this way the general public would both understand and appreciate what bodybuilders go through, gaining some much need respect in the process.
The film is broken down into various segments. Lifestyle, relationships, family, business, eating and nutrition, contest footage, and training. So that is how I will tackle this review.
Training footage. Hardcore fans will love and appreciate these scenes. Although I was somewhat disappointed that there is no quad routine, that feeling quickly left, when I saw how intense and heavy Mark trains. He uses extremely good form and high intensity. He is not as big as Dorian, but his workouts are very Dorianesque. Highlights include, super heavy dumbbell presses, heavy incline presses, super strict back workouts, an awesome delt workout. There is one scene in which Mark is doing stiff legged deadlifts for hamstrings. He has about 4 or 5, 35 lbs plates per side. I thought to myself why use the 35’s? Why not the 45’s? Then I see why. You can lower the bar farther down and get a better stretch. DUH! Also the banter that goes between Mark and his wife and training partners is funny and entertaining.
Contest footage. We see in this film, the footage from the 2006 Ironman. It begins with the weigh in, tanning, Christina oiling him up, his mandatory’s and his posing routine. During his posing routine Mark hits some of the same poses Bob Paris made famous and let me say this. He is the only modern day bodybuilder who can pull off that kneeling twisting, on arm behind the head shot. He looks like a statue that Michelangelo himself created. There is some gym posing footage and that’s when you how big and ripped Mark truly has become.
Business man. Marks business is a fresh food supplier specializing in vegetables. His two factories are huge. In this segment which is somewhat short, the viewer gets the appreciation for what it takes to be successful in business, and juggle the discipline of a bodybuilding lifestyle.
Nutrition, shopping, and eating. There is one segment that is a little funny in which we see Mark get all his supplements read for the day. It looked to me that there had to be at least a 100 different pills (I’m exaggerating). His trip to the store has Mark buying chicken breast, oatmeal and orange roughy. We also see Mark eat his fish while the family eats a spaghetti dinner. Its refreshing to see a family having dinner together.
Lifestyle, religion, family and love story. This is actually my favorite segment. Mark’s religion is very important to him, and yet he never once comes across as a “holier then thou” type of person. His strong Christian beliefs are ingrained in every aspect of life, from raising his beautiful 3 daughters, to his wonderful loving relationship with Christina. Mark and Christina both talk about how they met and fell in love. Mark also has footage of reading to his girls and putting them to bed. As well as just being a great father around the house, as he helps out with dinner and with the girls. Going out to eat and going to church are also footage that is included.

The bottom line is that this film is truly unique. I have never seen anything like and truly love it. I can watch this over and over again. Its truly a love story for both Mark’s love of bodybuilding but also his love for his wife and family and Christ.
Mark truly represents everything that is good about our sport, but also can teach all of us what is important in life.
Instead of ending this review like I typically do, I want to say thank you to Mark and Christina for letting us into their lives and showing us what is truly important.

Sounds different as far as videos go.

Shawn Ray

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • Digital Muscle Media
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2006, 06:31:22 PM »
Mark nice job with the DVD!
I got it last week and watched on my trip back from the NY PRO. Takes me back in time, watching you with the Passion, Singleminded Business like fashion you approach the sport yet caring and giving to your family.
I'll be there to support you Sunday. ;D
Stay the course and handle your business, the sport should be honored to have you as an ambassador of this industry.
Kiss the girls, thanks for the Behind the Scenes view point too!
Shawn

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2006, 06:32:53 PM »
I got it last week and watched on my trip back from the NY PRO. Takes me back in time, watching you with the Passion, Singleminded Business like fashion you approach the sport yet caring and giving to your family.
Stay the course and handle your business, the sport should be honored to have you as an ambassador of this industry.
Shawn

Great post, Shawn!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2006, 06:33:27 PM »
The guy has a great physique and to have a good family that is supportive ,esp the wife make's competing easier .prop's too him.

gettinhuge

• Getbig III
  • Comming Soon ME!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2006, 07:56:08 PM »
I had the great pleasure of meeting Mark and his wife...Two very lovely people, I got the DVD and liked it alot true life living having two boys of my own i can appreciate what Mark does for his family great DVD we should have it in our collection. ;D

Mark_Dugdale

• Pros
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2006, 09:24:06 AM »
Shawn
Thank so much Shawn!  It's so cool getting to hang out with one of the guys who inspired me to compete in bodybuilding... look forward to seeing you Sunday and/or Saturday night at the Cal.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2006, 12:49:28 PM »
Mark,

You'd mentioned time was a consideration for your abbreviated Dorian-style workouts. If time wasn't a factor, though ... still short/intense?

Thanks.

(Hint: Answer yes.)

Mark_Dugdale

• Pros
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2006, 03:16:14 PM »
Mark,

You'd mentioned time was a consideration for your abbreviated Dorian-style workouts. If time wasn't a factor, though ... still short/intense?

Thanks.

(Hint: Answer yes.)
Yes, my workouts would still be pithy (thought you might enjoy that word) even if my schedule allowed otherwise.  Low volume/high-intensity seems to work best for me.  Lately I have been giving Dante's DC training a shot.

Stavios

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2006, 03:58:26 PM »
Lately I have been giving Dante's DC training a shot.

What do you think about it ?

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2006, 04:04:56 PM »
presumptuous and assuming

Mark_Dugdale

• Pros
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2006, 04:13:05 PM »
What do you think about it ?
Honestly the jury is still out for me.  I mean the widowmakers sets and stretching can be brutal, but I want to wait another couple months before I give my opinion.  My training style has always been slightly more volume than Dorian - 2 sets per exercise vs. 1, so DC has been a good change of pace.

MADMAX6

• Getbig III
  • Max Muscle Venice
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2006, 07:29:02 AM »
You guys are unbelievable!
Check often for updates @

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2006, 08:24:21 AM »
from the other side.....

DRIVEN
The review
By Steve Buccilli

315lb. stiff legged deadlifts, what a monster. ::)
Jaejonna rows 125!!

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2006, 08:43:33 AM »
mark is great
he has a body which everyone here wants to have
i would rather look like dugdale than ronald coleman

Mark_Dugdale

• Pros
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2006, 09:27:02 AM »
Okay, Big Poppa J and friends, I will take the bait this one time.  But you are accurate; this is exactly why I don’t post on this forum.  Taking pot shots at people was entertaining when I was in Junior High, but not anymore.  I deal with enough drama at home raising little girls; I don’t need more by frequenting this site.

I did the video for Muscle Gallery in 1999, and trust me it is strictly training.  Someone who I trusted at a major fitness magazine suggested the opportunity.  Hindsight being 20/20, yeah I wish I never did it.  At 24 I was naive about what went on in the “sideshows” of bodybuilding.  Since then the site has evolved and is blatantly slanted much more to gay men.  I suppose I could take legal action to try and get them to remove my pictures, because obviously it isn’t something I enjoy being associated with, however, I agreed to do it (mistake or not).  From an integrity standpoint, the owner of the site has a right to run his business and make money; I don’t feel I should fight that because of personal regrets.

So I am a hypocrite, huh?  I would like to know which one of you has seen the video from Muscle Gallery?  My guess is that 1) You have never even seen the video, or 2) You bought it and were sorely disappointed that it was rated G and my clothes stayed on the entire time.  So which is it?  People on this site what to throw stones at me for having an opinion on right vs. wrong from a moral standpoint.  Who’s judging whom?  It certainly seems you are the ones drawing lines in the sand. 

I want to see some biblical evidence that what I did in the Muscle Gallery video was wrong.  People who disdain others with faith, quoting scripture, this should be entertaining!

PM me the evidence, since I am growing tired of this thread getting off-topic.  The only reason for this thread is the launch party this Sunday at Max Muscle.  I could care less if you buy DRIVEN, but I hope you come and pick up some Max Muscle gear from Dave – he’s one of the nicest guys you will ever meet!

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2006, 09:30:31 AM »
Okay, Big Poppa J and friends, I will take the bait this one time.  But you are accurate; this is exactly why I don’t post on this forum.  Taking pot shots at people was entertaining when I was in Junior High, but not anymore.  I deal with enough drama at home raising little girls; I don’t need more by frequenting this site.

I did the video for Muscle Gallery in 1999, and trust me it is strictly training.  Someone who I trusted at a major fitness magazine suggested the opportunity.  Hindsight being 20/20, yeah I wish I never did it.  At 24 I was naive about what went on in the “sideshows” of bodybuilding.  Since then the site has evolved and is blatantly slanted much more to gay men.  I suppose I could take legal action to try and get them to remove my pictures, because obviously it isn’t something I enjoy being associated with, however, I agreed to do it (mistake or not).  From an integrity standpoint, the owner of the site has a right to run his business and make money; I don’t feel I should fight that because of personal regrets.

So I am a hypocrite, huh?  I would like to know which one of you has seen the video from Muscle Gallery?  My guess is that 1) You have never even seen the video, or 2) You bought it and were sorely disappointed that it was rated G and my clothes stayed on the entire time.  So which is it?  People on this site what to throw stones at me for having an opinion on right vs. wrong from a moral standpoint.  Who’s judging whom?  It certainly seems you are the ones drawing lines in the sand. 

I want to see some biblical evidence that what I did in the Muscle Gallery video was wrong.  People who disdain others with faith, quoting scripture, this should be entertaining!

PM me the evidence, since I am growing tired of this thread getting off-topic.  The only reason for this thread is the launch party this Sunday at Max Muscle.  I could care less if you buy DRIVEN, but I hope you come and pick up some Max Muscle gear from Dave – he’s one of the nicest guys you will ever meet!

People were suggesting that it was "something else" that was immoral. The bible tells Christians to follow man's law unless it contradicts Jebus's law.

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2006, 09:31:19 AM »
greetz to your family
say ironneck wants to have such a cute family just like yours one day

Naked4Jesus

• Getbig IV
  • You can save a IFBB Pro today by donating a kidney
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2006, 09:35:37 AM »

I'm buying your video, not because I believe everything you say about muscle gallery, drug use, religion, etc. but because you're a great bodybuilder who manages to have a real life, job and family apart from bodybuilding and I think that's fascinating since most people seem to think that all Pros do is eat, train, sleep and repeat.   I'm not into the whole Max Muscle look since so much of it seems so cheesy or more for the gay community.  Either way I wish you both all the best.

Stavios

« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2006, 09:39:46 AM »
Once I find out how that paypal thing works, I'll buy Mark DVD too.

I tried a couple of times to buy things on the internet but that never works

Naked4Jesus

• Getbig IV
  • You can save a IFBB Pro today by donating a kidney
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2006, 09:43:02 AM »
Once I find out how that paypal thing works, I'll buy Mark DVD too.

I tried a couple of times to buy things on the internet but that never works

You don't need to have a paypal account.  Buy it at MesoRX.com.  Here's the link: http://www.mesomorphosis.com/store/videos/mark-dugdale-driven.html

No more excuses now.

Mark_Dugdale

• Pros
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2006, 10:38:48 AM »

People were suggesting that it was "something else" that was immoral. The bible tells Christians to follow man's law unless it contradicts Jebus's law.
Wrong, the deleted posts had to do with me being on a gay website.  However, I just knew once I explained my involvement some unrelenting knucklehead would move to plan B with the stone throwing.  Congrats oh righteous and holy LuciusFox - you win :)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2006, 10:48:46 AM »
Good luck, Mark.  

I'd split too, but, you know, what then?

For these guys, I mean. I'm all they got.