Author Topic: What is killing natural bodybuilding  (Read 17816 times)

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
Re: What is killing natural bodybuilding
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2006, 03:39:24 AM »
I took that statement to mean that Figure is less challenging that Fitness....so that is why it is gaining in popularity. I realize it is not 'politically correct' to say. ...but it is. Obviously the physique goal is identical in both, with the only difference being the inclusion of the routine skills. One arms pushups, all splits, straddle hold, pike holds, high kicks etc + just the ability to move at a very high pace while looking decent doing it for 2 minz - is a hell of a lot harder than making 4 turns on a stage. Not saying Figure is easy, cause it's not, but IMO as it less challenging than Fitness and far easier to prepare for,we will see Fitness going down...well we already are...

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2006, 07:43:36 AM »
I took that statement to mean that Figure is less challenging that Fitness....so that is why it is gaining in popularity. I realize it is not 'politically correct' to say. ...but it is. Obviously the physique goal is identical in both, with the only difference being the inclusion of the routine skills. One arms pushups, all splits, straddle hold, pike holds, high kicks etc + just the ability to move at a very high pace while looking decent doing it for 2 minz - is a hell of a lot harder than making 4 turns on a stage. Not saying Figure is easy, cause it's not, but IMO as it less challenging than Fitness and far easier to prepare for,we will see Fitness going down...well we already are...

People are placing more emphasis on a body's appearance and less on what it can actually do. The irony of it all is that fitness shows were supposed to spell the death of female bodybuilding. When people saw fitness competitions as virtually nothing but T&A, the women went ballistic, swearing that they were legitimate athletes.

That came to backfire on them, once the girls with heavy gymnastic backgrounds started to dominate. Later, someone came up with the Galaxy, which had an objective way to measure "fitness": an obstacle course. Of course, we saw more of the same. Many of the girls, who were more sinew than silicone, vaulted up the placings chart by way of their obstacle course time. Case in point: Raye "Zap" Hollitt competed in a Galaxy show. She didn't fare that well in the bikini round (still carried a lot of muscle from her bodybuilding/American Gladiator days). But, she smoked the obstacle course, which vaulted her to third place finish, overall.

The biggest problem was the fitness shows that had three rounds, with 25% of the score going to the evening gown round. The remaining 75% of the score cause the controversy. Some shows put 50% of the score in the bikini round and 25% in the fitness round; others did the exact opposite 50% fitness routine, 25% bikini round.

Those with great "pin-up girl" bodies (pretty faces, blonde hair, and freshly-purchased silicone mammaries) but modest athletic ability prospered in the former scenario. The ones with good-looking bodies, who could spin on their heads, launch themselves in the air, stick their feet in their mouths, and have them coming out their ears (while doing push-ups) dominated in the latter scenario.

Now, these ladies, by migrating to figure, are becoming the very thing people said all along. Granted, a number of the gymastic girls are heading to figure, too (their 30+ year-old bodies can't take the beatings, anymore). But, the desire to prove their athleticism has apparently disappeared. They'd rather just look the part; in essence, it's back to T&A.

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2006, 05:55:12 PM »
whats killing natural bodybuilding is that none of them are very impressive.   or "awe inspiring" if you will.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

jonno gb

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2006, 03:28:37 AM »
Natural bodybuilding is alive and kicking in Great Britain.Competitors and audience numbers are on the up.Check out www.npa-bodybuilding.co.uk for more information.

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2006, 01:56:34 PM »
What is killing Natural Bodybuilding?

This...

LOL>..thats Great!  ;D

OakExpress

• Getbig II
  • Amateur Natural Bodybuilder
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2006, 02:00:21 PM »
Nothing is killing natural bodybuilding in my opinion.  Some of the biggest shows in Colorado have been natural shows.  At my first show we had 1200 in the audience (or so I was told).  The competition was awesome.  Sure the physiques were not the freaky sized guys but they were very good nonetheless.  Largely the people who attended were friends and family, with a handful of hardcore BBers that don't miss a show.  Is that really so bad?

Like all sports, there is a genetic component.  I won't be a star center for the LA Lakers because I'm 5'9" and there is not a thing I can do about that.  In the same way, naturally some folks simply cannot compete because there bodies don't enable them to put on serious mass.  However, there are folks that have great genetics and can be great natural bodybuilders.

I have better than average genetics and I had to figure out over the last 2 years what made my body grow.  Now I've found the formula that works for me and I'm packing on the muscle.  The ole American work ethic is what I was in to.  Lift like crazy (e.g. high volume).  What I found that worked was a low volume high intensity program and the greatest anabolic weapon available to natural athletes - good clean food.

So, we will never be like the IFBB.  So what.  I have a place where I can go to do what I love to do.  I've met a bunch of great guys and we have a real comraderie.  I don't plan on making a living at this (although I have been in magazines - didn't make anything by the way).  I'm a software guy who loves to bodybuild.  I consider myself blessed that God has given me so many blessing including the ability to enjoy this sport.

Friends.. let's just have some fun with this.  Let's not put limitations on ourselves.  Let's find out what great nutrition and training can do.  Let's take pride in knowing that we aren't risking long-term health with potentially dangerous drugs.
Romans 1:20

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2006, 10:37:45 AM »
I always figured, why not put an 1/8th of an inch on my arms...Ill eat well and train hard and a day or two after the workout it was there.  I remember 15 1/2...15 5/8....15 3/4....etc.  All th eway to over 20"....................It was small increments and i expected it from my body!!

Brianx is right,  Your mind can work for you or against you...you decide. ;)

Tier

• Getbig III
  • Lift light with sloppy form
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2006, 07:07:24 PM »
Natural bbing is 'crap' to most people cos of roids.

For example if roids didnt exist , natural bber's would be awe inspiring to the avg joe.....go to a mall and take a look at the majority of the population , either skinny and frail or fatter than an elephant :)

bigandbrolic

• Getbig II
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2006, 03:01:34 AM »
i can tell you what is not helping natural bodybuilding!!!

everytime someone post pics of themselves stating that they are natural and someone who can't, won't or will not put the feeort in to push their bodies jumps and accuse them of not being natural.

whenever i meet someone that say they are natural i have to believe them because since i was 18 people have been accusing me of steroid use i chose not to then, and my wife would leave me if i did now.  not a tough choice at all!!

here are some pics of me and gregg val, ronnie and shawn.  in the pic with ronnie i was 250, 3 weeks from mm atlantic 02
I am a grown ass man

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2006, 05:19:41 AM »
^ Like someone said, it's a compliment.

Tier

• Getbig III
  • Lift light with sloppy form
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2006, 11:38:59 PM »
bigandbrolic stop hogging all the good genetics and give me sum!  ;D

OakExpress

• Getbig II
  • Amateur Natural Bodybuilder
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2006, 06:09:56 AM »

everytime someone post pics of themselves stating that they are natural and someone who can't, won't or will not put the feeort in to push their bodies jumps and accuse them of not being natural.

whenever i meet someone that say they are natural i have to believe them because since i was 18 people have been accusing me of steroid use i chose not to then, and my wife would leave me if i did now.  not a tough choice at all!!

here are some pics of me and gregg val, ronnie and shawn.  in the pic with ronnie i was 250, 3 weeks from mm atlantic 02

You rock bro!  It's cool to see natural guys pushing the boundaries.  Keep up the great work and thanks for chiming in on the topic.
Romans 1:20

Nathan

• Getbig III
  • 5'11 185 lbs
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2006, 08:13:15 AM »

Exactly right! The drug users are in the processe of shooting them selfs in the foot anyways, lol I mean look where it's at now ??? They dont even worry about defanition or propotion barley anymore it's just straight out size. And like Marolyn Manson, Eminem, or the WWE you can only raise the bar so far then u reach a limit, and that limit becomes normal or old news, it stops being a note worthy spectacle then the whole thing falls down like a house of cards. (the truth is that which remains the same)

At the end of the day though it's all you, and the ppl that are around you, and the example you set through who you are and wat u become! THAT is what is truly improtant no matter what you do!
Because as a serious wieght lifter and fighter, I have come to see every one is sleeping at the wheel. And if I can do somthing, to show that ppl's idea of what can be done and what serious focus and effort can do?
Then i dont care how much attention i get I've done my job! Lots of ppl have said I'm on roids too even when i was only 5'11 175lbs lol, but those are the same ppl looking for an excuse anyways, (seek and ye shall find) so i dont concern myself with them....

BTW: BigAnd Good Job u have a truly inspiering physique, and an inspiering attitude, well done!
P

bic_staedtler

• Getbig IV
  • That is all.
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2006, 11:10:06 PM »
How can you kill something that's not alive???....

Natural Bodybuilding has lots going against it...cheaters, for one, without a proper method of testing for that fact.

Also, there aren't many shows to compete in.  No central association, and with the emphasis on making dollars, you're never going to have a clean sport.

Sorry, dudes.

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2006, 11:59:55 PM »
For most people, natural bodybuilding is about challenging yourself to look the best you can. It's good for your health too.
"Shut the F up and train"

Nathan

• Getbig III
  • 5'11 185 lbs
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2006, 10:12:47 PM »
How can you kill something that's not alive???....

Natural Bodybuilding has lots going against it...cheaters, for one, without a proper method of testing for that fact.

Also, there aren't many shows to compete in.  No central association, and with the emphasis on making dollars, you're never going to have a clean sport.

Sorry, dudes.

Things can change sorry dude but ur pessimism does not serve you

And lots of things die that are not living because they cease to exist?
When ppl eventually get sick of bloated body's the truth will return, it always does!
lies can last a long time but never forever ;)
P

bic_staedtler

• Getbig IV
  • That is all.
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2006, 12:36:39 AM »
Things can change sorry dude but ur pessimism does not serve you

And lots of things die that are not living because they cease to exist?
When ppl eventually get sick of bloated body's the truth will return, it always does!
lies can last a long time but never forever ;)

...umm, return?...to where?...they were never there to begin with!...when natural bodybuilding was 'there' was over 45 years ago, and they weren't recognized then, nor are they now.  Not at least as many who fantasize about the 'popularity' of natural bodybuilding.  I've read some good posts on this thread, but for those who think pro bodybuilding is going to go away and the fans will start paying to see natural shows are delusional.

patrinos2003

• Getbig I
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2006, 05:59:36 AM »
"natural bodybuilding" ? sorry there's nothing really natural in bodybuilding!
-is it natural to eat 200grams of protein every day?
-is it natural to drink creatine?
-is it natural to hit till exhaustion the muscles of your body?
so I guess your main concern is some ergogenetic aids ;)

ryanlemley1

• Getbig II
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2006, 01:59:01 PM »
gustavo baddell is totally natural..ask him and he'll tell you  youtube.com (gustavo baddell)

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2006, 02:58:57 PM »
Legit natural bodybuilding , as a whole, NOT an individual, isn't gonna happen today.

real simple, the test are b.s.!  that's the only thing that needs to be known.  like another poster said, the poly is garbage...even by the FBI a 2 hour poly test often incriminates INNOCENT people (2 cases recent, 1 in florida accused a grandmother of kiiling grandduaghter and other inutah accused a dad of killing wife and kids) BOTH not true even after FBI test said differently.

Urine, unfortuanately doesn't work ESECIALLY if the promoting organization allows the use of pro hormones.  Then ANY positive is questionable and you must changed the ratios.
If organization does not allow pro hormones then you have to deal with gh, insulin, clen, suspended test and fast acting drugs used throughout training....All this completely discredits organization and it's competitors even if they are truely natural for life or 5 years.
How to solve it = It can not happen!  As long as drugs that get by screens are around "natural" competitors and organizations will always be suspect, especially if they are good.  Unfortunate but true.  basically, just be happy with your own physique and your own knowledge that you are truely natural, but if you think their can ever be a truely natural org your mistaken....even when I began competing in natural shows at 14 in 84 there were guys that used drugs and competed......the days were over probably around late 70's.   

HFTrainer

• Getbig I
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2006, 05:47:12 PM »
BigandBrolic I know what you mean. I'm not going to chime in and say my genetics are superior but myself being 235 currently @12-13% BF. i'm 20 y.o. I'm going to compete in my first natty competition in May 07. I plan to compete 210-215. My goal years down the road will be 240+ @ 4% BF competition shape.
Mr. MN countdown 7 days..

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2006, 11:35:20 AM »
[What is killing natural bodybuilding ]

Simple, no possible way to actually detect user and alot of people that simply do not care if they use and compete in natural shows.  Therin lies the problem, you or i can and never truely know if the guy in front with the winning or losing physique is natural.  At least in regular shows it is what it is and the best man wins, same with olympics.  if anyone actually believes that it is "cheating" to compete at olympics while using your very naive....The playing field is LEVEL because EVERYONE uses and i got no problem with that.  Wake up world.

Vickymc

• Getbig II
  • the natural choice
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2006, 12:19:13 PM »
People like Legbreaker who cant believe the best of people. Yeh people will cheat but I do believe the majority of people competing in natural organisations are clean and the ones who are cheating it is usually because they dont have the genetic or the work ethic to make it on a level playing field so they try for an easy option and take on the naturals however they often get beat as the naturals at the top have great genetics, drive and determination(which cheats often dont have).

Legbreaker stick you pics on you claim to have a pro card is it a natural one? Who are you? Do you still compete as a natural are you one of the minority who would cheat to win a natural show?

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2006, 12:45:56 PM »
Vicky, the truth hurts naive people or makes them wake up.  Of course there are legit natural people competing in shows, I never said there was not.  However, in the bigger "natural orgs" there are many winners that are not.  For you information, I competed AND won 4 natural shows at 15-16 years old in the NPO (ny, Peter Neff, anabel Lopez, etc)) which then went on to get involved in ANBC.  As a 16-17 year old natural I won the NPC NY state teen class, years later I did use stuff for NPC shows then stopped at age 23.  After 8 years with out hormone use I competed in muscle mania and even though I was by far the most shredded guy there i was way over dieted and didn't place well.  I realized after speaking with some of the other contestants that did place and win, "natural" was a dream for that show.  2 years later and 10 years without hormones I decided to again compete and did in the NABF and won in NY at 223 about 1-2 weeks off a perfect condition.  In 2002 i again decided to compete but at NPC and again won at 235 over dieted but in shape.  2003 I was 265 and flat an hour before nationals pre judge.  that's it, Vicky, it is what it is. Good for your buddy, i could care less if he is or isn't natural and i did NOT accuse him of anything just made a very educated and knowledgeable observation.  Move on, we have diferent opinions.     

Vickymc

• Getbig II
  • the natural choice
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2006, 01:54:49 PM »
Well done you! shame you couldnt have stayed Natural.