Author Topic: Vince Goodrum's "Fuck That Shit, I Got A Better Idea" Threads  (Read 231095 times)

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
Re: 23000 dollars for a car? Fuck That Shit...got a better idea
« Reply #225 on: August 10, 2016, 05:43:27 PM »
Coming soon, Getbiggers...taking 4000 in cash down to Whiteys Auto Auction tomorrow.  This will be an epic thread....pictures will begin around 530

You got $4,000 cash and you only gave Vissy a $20 wedding present?

Lame...

MP

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy metal. The only way.
« Reply #226 on: August 10, 2016, 06:00:36 PM »

epic_alien

« Reply #227 on: August 10, 2016, 06:14:01 PM »
you guys take the bait every time ::)

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.

MP

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy metal. The only way.
« Reply #229 on: August 10, 2016, 06:24:41 PM »

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #230 on: August 10, 2016, 06:35:34 PM »
 ;D
"

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #231 on: August 10, 2016, 06:45:22 PM »

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #232 on: August 10, 2016, 07:47:36 PM »
I love machinery auctions but my impression is that in the US you'd do better with a private sale when it comes to vehicles.  Possibly.  Either way, do some googling V.  Acquaint yourself with how to assess viability.  Owning used vehicles means being at least 1/2 a mechanic.  If you don't like greasy fingers then you're better off paying for the guarantee and known history of a new car.  Mechanics fees, tows, and lost income from downtime will add up fast if you buy someone else's problem.  There's probably no test driving but I wouldn't buy anything if they won't let you crawl around on it and under it, start it, and put each gear under power for a couple inches.

Imo you shouldn't buy anything, no matter how good a deal you think it is, until you've attended and quietly observed a few of these shindigs.  I'd gravitate toward things I can work on - a minimum of computerization and a manual transmission.  I can't be too clear here - you're gonna work on it, which means tools and time, or you're gonna pay someone to work on it.

Ugly & strong is what you want.  People fling money at complete lemons if the paint is nice.  Fresh paint is a red flag.  I've seen trucks with freshly painted undersides that clearly came from salt country.  Vendors will pull some dirty shit.  Fleet/ government vehicles are good to look at since they're often swapped out at an age/mileage limit and come from a regular maintenance regiment, but there ought to be a fleet of them there at similar age - not just 1.  Individuals rarely undertake preventative maintenance at recommended intervals so maintenance logs are nice but rare, and perhaps not entirely to be trusted.  Badging means nothing.  Bling is the enemy.  You'll see bidding wars for a mercedes or jaguar with a mahogany dash and fucked engine when the rock-bottom model ford with a scratch that got clockwork oil changes can be had with minimal competition.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #233 on: August 10, 2016, 08:47:11 PM »
IA that the cat auction off of 85 going towards Simpsonville or Greenville?  ??? If so, save your cash and head to the motor mile, Greer, Spartanburg and just take 15 grand cash and you'll be aight.

Avoid that car auction off of 85 if you can.  :)

I buy all my cars at Auction.  I still have my 2001 Ford Taurus...10 years and still running like a charm.  I plan to buy another car as well as a cheap truck
A

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #234 on: August 10, 2016, 09:03:15 PM »

I buy all my cars at Auction.  I still have my 2001 Ford Taurus...10 years and still running like a charm.  I plan to buy another car as well as a cheap truck

Damn, Vincenzo, that is THREE vehicles. Why do you need so many?
X

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #235 on: August 10, 2016, 09:15:29 PM »

I buy all my cars at Auction.  I still have my 2001 Ford Taurus...10 years and still running like a charm.  I plan to buy another car as well as a cheap truck

But did you go to the one near the pet milk factory off of 85? I had a few buddies who got put through the ringer and have heard terrible stories about that auto auction.

But maybe you got a decent one.
D

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #236 on: August 10, 2016, 09:24:47 PM »

And your Jaguar, right?

Vincenzo....did MTV ever ask to do a "Cribs" episode with you?

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #237 on: August 10, 2016, 09:25:26 PM »
Burnt out Jaquar

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
« Reply #238 on: August 10, 2016, 09:27:17 PM »

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
« Reply #239 on: August 10, 2016, 09:29:45 PM »

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #240 on: August 10, 2016, 09:31:06 PM »
Jaguar

::)

Replaced perfectly good steel timing chains with plastic ones.  Which fatigued and broke.  Engines kaput.  Some top notch British engineering right there.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #241 on: August 10, 2016, 09:34:01 PM »
But did you go to the one near the pet milk factory off of 85? I had a few buddies who go out through the ringer and have heard terrible stories about that auto auction.

But maybe you got a decent one.

Want a nice cruising car for the weekend and a truck for hauling.  Pickup truck is pretty easy, 400-500 bucks for a junker bunker.  Car will be another story
A

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #242 on: August 10, 2016, 09:39:27 PM »

Ugly & strong is what you want.  People fling money at complete lemons if the paint is nice.  Fresh paint is a red flag.  I've seen trucks with freshly painted undersides that clearly came from salt country.  Vendors will pull some dirty shit.  Fleet/ government vehicles are good to look at since they're often swapped out at an age/mileage limit and come from a regular maintenance regiment, but there ought to be a fleet of them there at similar age - not just 1.  Individuals rarely undertake preventative maintenance at recommended intervals so maintenance logs are nice but rare, and perhaps not entirely to be trusted.  Badging means nothing.  Bling is the enemy.  You'll see bidding wars for a mercedes or jaguar with a mahogany dash and fucked engine when the rock-bottom model ford with a scratch that got clockwork oil changes can be had with minimal competition.

If it's a Ford truck the bidding war would be for the Ford.  Nobody in America wants a used Jaguar, but Goodrum.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #243 on: August 10, 2016, 10:01:48 PM »
If it's a Ford truck the bidding war would be for the Ford.  Nobody in America wants a used Jaguar, but Goodrum.

I've heard more nightmare stories about modern Jags and Rovers....  I get the impression they're kept afloat only by monied Brits too stubborn to consider anything else no matter how much of a headache these things are to own because the ones made in 1970 were solid.

Les Grossman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #244 on: August 10, 2016, 10:05:29 PM »
I've heard more nightmare stories about modern Jags and Rovers....  I get the impression they're kept afloat only by monied Brits too stubborn to consider anything else no matter how much of a headache these things are to own because the ones made in 1970 were solid.

I have one of the new XJ Jaguars. No problems so far. Knock on wood.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #245 on: August 10, 2016, 10:24:09 PM »
I've heard more nightmare stories about modern Jags and Rovers....  I get the impression they're kept afloat only by monied Brits too stubborn to consider anything else no matter how much of a headache these things are to own because the ones made in 1970 were solid.

Yes, Basile would agree, British Leyland made some solid automobiles in the 70's.  

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #246 on: August 10, 2016, 10:32:15 PM »
I have one of the new XJ Jaguars. No problems so far. Knock on wood.

A quick google reveals that I'm as uninformed as ever.  It wasn't timing chains themselves.  Just tensioners and guides which caused the 'uh, hi, can you bring your car back? Soon?  There's... something we have to do to it."

I'm sure they went back to steel metal of some kind by now but I have a hard time forgiving companies that make decisions like that on a supposedly premium quality product.

"... because there are no timing marks on this engine."

Again, fucking why?!  Why would anyone do that?  And what are they going to charge for the piece of milled ali with the top secret dimensions?

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #247 on: August 10, 2016, 10:59:02 PM »
I know a BMW mechanic who quit his job because he said he didn't want to be a computer programmer.  I question whether top end vehicles are any better at all on the metallurgy and machining tolerances side of things, or if they're just doing their best to make things inaccessible to anyone but a team of full time, company specific technicians.

Btw, if there are any shit-hot programmers out there, I got the impression there'd be money in creating software that would mediate (I'm totally out of my depth here) between each year's software and the 'mechanic.'  To hear that guy tell it, every year had a unique programming, and mechanics had to learn all of them.  And 9/10 problems were computer issues exclusively, or involved computer issues.  Not that there'd be any money for you from BMW tho for making their unnecessarily complicated shit accessible to someone other than a $250/hr dealership service department.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #248 on: August 10, 2016, 11:39:19 PM »
I'm feeling much better now.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #249 on: August 11, 2016, 07:06:00 AM »
Want a nice cruising car for the weekend and a truck for hauling.  Pickup truck is pretty easy, 400-500 bucks for a junker bunker.  Car will be another story

My buddy picked up a BMW from that auction for about 16 thousand and it has been nothing but a money pit.  :-\

Best of luck.
D