Author Topic: Cowboys Win NFC East, Capture #1 Seed & Home-Field Throughout Playoffs  (Read 159754 times)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
2,000 yards rushing in his rookie year??  ??? ???

In the past three full months, Ezekiel Elliott has sold more jerseys than any other NFL player.

That's an impressive stat for the current Dallas Cowboys and former Ohio State running back, given that players who were already in the league had a 27-day jump on Elliott, who was drafted fourth on April 28. Elliott's home and away jerseys were available for preorder later that night.

Based on sales from April 1-June 30 on NFLShop.com, the league's official online site, Elliott beat out New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, who despite the focus on Deflategate finished in the second spot, followed by New York Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr., Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton and Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski. Carson Wentz, who was picked second in the draft by the Philadelphia Eagles, finished sixth.

Elliott undoubtedly had quite the momentum coming into the league, given Ohio State's huge fan base. In January 2015, Elliott ran for four touchdowns in the team's 42-20 victory over Oregon, giving the Buckeyes the first College Football Playoff title.

That's why it's no surprise that after Dallas, Columbus is the city that has ordered the most Elliott Cowboys jerseys, according to data from Fanatics, which runs the league's site.

But Elliott also has done his part by attracting plenty of additional attention with his "crop top" look, appearing on the draft day red carpet showing his abs and rolling up the jersey for the NFLPA Rookie Premiere in May, which was the first time he wore the full Cowboys uniform. Elliott won't be able to do that in the league, as rules stipulate that a jersey must be tucked into pants and can't be cut off.

Sales on the official online store do not include sales from the Cowboys store, which is run separately from the league's teams. The Cowboys are the only team to distribute its own merchandise and control the sales channels for the products. Therefore, the team does not split revenue on the sales it generates in its own channels.

In May, the Cowboys signed Elliott to a deal worth $24.9 million that included a $16.3 million signing bonus. Elliott also has a separate endorsement deal with Nike.

The highest a Cowboys player was on the best-selling jersey list last season (from April 1, 2015-Jan. 30, 2016) was No. 9 (wide receiver Dez Bryant). Tight end Jason Witten finished 10th.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Re: Cowboys rookie RB Ezekiel Elliott tops NFL jersey sales
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 03:23:29 PM »
Looked pretty damn impressive on the road versus a very tough Seattle defense and without Dez or Romo.

Glimpses of patience and vision ala Emmitt Smith but also quick enough to turn the corner and the power to run through defenders, including Kam Chancellor, one of the toughest, hardest hitting safeties in the league.

@1:07 and 1:20   :o

Beefjake

• Getbig IV
  • Oh fuck it.
Re: Cowboys rookie RB Ezekiel Elliott impresses in preseason debut
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 01:06:18 PM »
Cam was pissed and came to get him after that first one. Didn't.
Still, as an older pro, I think that come real season Cam can crank it up a couple of notches.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Re: Cowboys rookie RB Ezekiel Elliott impresses in preseason debut
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 11:32:15 AM »
Ezekiel Elliott's 546 rushing yards are more than 23 NFL teams have total

ARLINGTON -€”- Early in Bengals-Cowboys clash as Ezekiel Elliott's offensive line whacked and razed everyone in front of them, Elliott began spinning his right hand in front of his mouth, scooping as if he had a spoon in hand.

"I was telling the coaches to keep feeding me," Elliott said afterward, grinning.

Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett soon summoned Elliott next to him. Garrett performed the spooning motion. He told him to watch it, that it could lead to a taunting penalty.

And then Garrett and the Cowboys kept "feeding" Elliott anyway.

You take the radiant running of Elliott and the efficient playmaking of rookie quarterback Dak Prescott, toss them behind the NFL's most crushing offensive line and you've got one scrumptious meal. Blend in special teams that function and a defense that is reactive and you get a 21-0 blitz to start a game. This is what the Dallas Cowboys did to the Cincinnati Bengals en route to a 28-14 victory on Sunday at AT&T Stadium.

This was Dallas taking a quality opponent and displaying "a recommitment to our values," Garrett said.

That would be:

We have massive, strong, scary people up front on offense. Let's make sure they maul. They did. They annihilated the Bengals. It was Bengals cornerback Adam Jones who succinctly and accurately described it: "Those guys were better than I thought. I take my hat off to them. Now I see why he has a hundred million dollars on his line. Those guys blocked their asses off. To come out here and get beat like this, this is embarrassing."

The guys Dallas didn't block, Elliott handled. He ran it 17 times for 134 yards and plowed through Bengals on his 13-yard scoring rumble and outran them on his 60-yard touchdown burst. He dialed it in every way. This league-leading rusher is the core of the Dallas offense. He will be fed.

Prescott efficiently orchestrated the offense, passing and rushing, displaying variety of talents. Keep putting him in great spots and he looks capable of continuing deliverance.

Special teams, stay active, and the defense, neutralize a team's top threat (Bengals receiver A.J. Green was a ghost) and hit the quarterback (four sacks of Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton).

Dallas owner Jerry Jones has seen this recipe before.

But not as exacting as this since the Cowboys Super Bowl champion days.

"That first half of football was the best I've seen around here in years and years and years,"  Jones said, smiling. "This was more about who we were than what Cincinnati wasn't."

It made the Cowboys 4-1 and winners of four straight. It gave them first place in the NFC East. They play next at Green Bay, a bye follows and then home against Philadelphia. That is when Tony Romo is scheduled to return from back injury.

The way Prescott is producing, the Cowboys may give Romo more time to heal. But Jones said that the plan now is that when Romo is ready, he will play.

If Dallas can physically maul good teams like this, it hardly matters.

"I thought the physicalness of the game in all three phases was the difference in the game," Garrett said. "I think you felt it out there. I know our team did."

That is a lousy indictment of the Bengals. They play the Pittsburgh Steelers twice a year every year in some of the most rowdy football the NFL offers.

"We played hard but got dominated in all phases of the game," Bengals receiver Brandon LaFell said, who earned two fourth-quarter touchdown catches that were more cologne than game-altering.

Bengals offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth said: "I think that's a helluva football team over there. They've got some special players."

So do the Bengals. It's how they've made the playoffs for five straight seasons. So, what happened?

"We'll have to just look at it very hard and make corrections and move forward quickly," Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said.

Quite quickly. The Bengals play next at New England. The Bengals are 2-3 with victories over the Jets and Miami, teams that have combined records of 2-8. The Bengals' losses are against Pittsburgh and Denver, and now Dallas, each by eight or more points. Getting flattened and controlled like this in Dallas can shake confidence. That will be Cincinnati's chief chore, moving on and returning to its rougher edge with improved execution.

Dallas, however, is feeling good. It is starting to feel supremacy in how this offensive line matches up across the league. Guard Zack Martin talked about getting the Bengals "on the ropes." Tight end Jason Witten said the Cowboys have been talking all year about starting fast and keeping the pedal down, and now they showed themselves just how they can do it. Receiver Terrance Williams was targeted five times and caught every pass, all over the field, and afterward said these Cowboys don't "blink" where past teams here did.

It is a new day in Dallas, one where the Cowboys without Romo and injured receiver Dez Bryant are surprisingly infused by a beastly offensive line and two frisky rookies, Elliott and Prescott.

"I know, for myself, this is the player I am, this is the man I am," Elliott said. "I'm not surprised by it. I expected it."

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Troy Aikman: Cowboys rookie Ezekiel Elliott should 'absolutely' be in the NFL MVP conversation

Considering he's leading the NFL in rushing yards, Cowboys rookie running back Ezekiel Elliott is clearly in the running for Offensive Rookie of the Year honors. But now the MVP talk is starting to bubble up.

On The Dan Patrick Show, former Cowboys quarterback Troy Aikman agreed with the host when he was asked if Elliott should be considered for the MVP race Monday morning "Absolutely," Aikman said. "I agree with that clearly, assuming he stays healthy."

"It's hard to imagine him not leading the league in rushing when it's all said in done. Heck, he might even set some records before it's all over with.His offensive line is outstanding. They've gotten even better."

But Aikman's praise for Elliott didn't stop there. He pointed out that Elliott seems ahead of the curve for rookies and happens to be great at many aspects of his job.

"But this guy Ezekiel Elliott is the total package," Aikman said. "He's a home run threat because of his speed. Again he's tough. He runs between the tackles, he can catch the ball, he can pass protect. I think it's been a long time -- I can't think of anyone that comes to mind that I've seen step into the league at his age and do all the things that he does not just well, he does them exceptionally well. He's great in all those areas, and that's difficult for any young player, especially a running back in pass protection. But he does a great job."

Earlier in the broadcast, Patrick admitted that it's still a little early and he's definitely offering a hot take, but he said that he has to consider Elliott in the MVP talk.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott - NFL MVP???
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 12:12:05 PM »
for sure already has rookie of year sown up.
F

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Re: Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott - NFL MVP???
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 08:53:27 AM »
for sure already has rookie of year sown up.

Something tells me he is going to bust out a 200 yard game soon.

Maybe against the Browns in a couple weeks.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
The Dallas Cowboys Are The Best Team in The NFC
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 09:13:25 AM »
NFL Power Rankings — Week 8: Broncos vault to second in a new-look top 10

Each week, national NFL writer Mark Maske will provide his ranking of the league’s 32 teams. The Bills, Falcons, Redskins, Steelers and Cardinals fall from the top 10, giving way to a new rotation in the upper tier.

1. New England Patriots (6-1) | Last Week’s Rank: 1

Tom Brady’s passing production in his three games since returning from his suspension would translate to these numbers over a full 16-game season: 5,355 yards, 43 TDs, no interceptions. So yes, he’s playing well.

2. Denver Broncos (5-2) | Last Week’s Rank: 7

The Broncos got a running game going Monday night, which opened up some things in the passing game for QB Trevor Siemian. And the defense simply dominated the Texans’ Brock Osweiler, who made no one in Denver wish that he’d stayed.

3. Dallas Cowboys (5-1) | Last Week’s Rank: 4

The bye week is over and Dak Prescott remains the Cowboys’ QB. Going back to Tony Romo is not an option yet. And, really, it shouldn’t be a realistic option as long as Prescott keeps playing like this. The Prescott-led offense could have WR Dez Bryant back Sunday night against the Eagles.

[Don’t look now but the NFC East isn’t terrible. Far from it, in fact]

4. Seattle Seahawks (4-1-1) | Last Week’s Rank: 3

How in the world did the Seahawks not lose that game Sunday night in Arizona? Then how in the world did they not win it? In the end, the tie probably hurts the Cardinals more than it hurts the Seahawks. But the bigger issue for Seattle could be QB Russell Wilson. Anyone who applauded the decision for Wilson to play through his ankle and knee injuries might need to reassess. He didn’t take time to heal and now his mobility clearly remains affected.

5. Minnesota Vikings (5-1) | Last Week’s Rank: 2

The focus was on QB Sam Bradford for his three-turnover performance in the loss at Philadelphia. But the bigger worry going forward is the state of Bradford’s patchwork offensive line.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: The Dallas Cowboys Are The Best Team in The NFC
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 01:01:48 PM »
Epic over compensation for Texas Rangers playoff failure.
Y

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 04:13:45 PM »
Epic over compensation for Texas Rangers playoff failure.

Possible similar Dallas Stars thread if the Cowboys season doesn't pan out as well.  ;D

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 05:41:22 PM »
Possible similar Dallas Stars thread if the Cowboys season doesn't pan out as well.  ;D

;D ;D

In truth, the whole NFC, actually NFL, is kind of bad.
Y

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 10:57:40 AM »
;D ;D

In truth, the whole NFC, actually NFL, is kind of bad.

I'm actually kind of liking the fact that the NFC East is hanging in there.

All teams have a winning record thus far.

Could make for some very interesting December football.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 08:48:17 AM »
Looking like Tony Romo in OT, Dak Prescott pulls one out for Cowboys

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Will the Dallas Cowboys finally think about what they are going to do at quarterback as Tony Romo inches closer to 100 percent health?

Their 29-23 overtime win against the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday was their sixth straight and they have a two-game lead in the NFC East, but Dak Prescott finally looked like a rookie.

Until he looked like Romo at the most opportune time.

In overtime, Prescott finally pulled out his magic, completing all five of his passes in the extra session for 56 yards, including a 5-yard, game-winning touchdown pass to Jason Witten.

On the play -- second-and-goal from the Philadelphia 5 -- Prescott ducked inside, spun backward, rolled left and found a wide open Witten in the end zone.

How many times has Romo done something like that in his career?

Will Romo get another chance to show he can get it done when fully cleared to play in a game?

With the way Prescott started the season, there never seemed a way he would have a night like Sunday, but every rookie has a day like this. The Cowboys have slow-played Romo's return from a compression fracture in his back. Last week marked the first time he took part in a portion of practice -- he was limited Thursday after throwing scout-team 7-on-7 drills -- and this week he could get more time if not be completely ready to play against the Cleveland Browns.

Except for a 53-yard completion to Dez Bryant in the first quarter, Prescott was simply off all night. His most egregious mistake was an interception in the Philadelphia end zone late in the second quarter. With the score tied 10-10, Prescott forced a pass to Brice Butler that Jordan Hicks picked off.

The Eagles turned Prescott's first interception at home into a 55-yard field goal to close the half.

In the second half, Prescott underthrew an open Bryant in the end zone. On third down, Terrance Williams saved his second red-zone interception with an offensive pass interference penalty, which allowed the Cowboys to kick a field goal.

Cole Beasley entered the game leading the Cowboys with 33 receptions. He did not have a catch until the fourth quarter. Witten entered second with 28. He caught one pass. Bryant, playing for the first time since Sept. 25, caught two passes.

Yet with 6:26 to play, Prescott had a chance to extend his magical run and answered with a 22-yard touchdown pass to Bryant to tie the score at 23-23 with 3:04 to play. He had a chance to win the game with 1:42 to play, but three straight incompletions forced a punt. A final-minute drive was fruitless as well.

But overtime proved to be fruitful. Prescott had completions of 10, 24, 7, 10 and 5 yards. He also converted a fourth-and-1 with a quarterback sneak.

Prescott finished the night 19-of-39 for 287 yards with two touchdowns and an interception.

Sometimes it's not how good it looks as long as it gets done.

That was the case Sunday.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 02:01:40 PM »
I hate the Cowboys, but that Prescott kid looks like the real deal.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 09:41:23 AM »
I hate the Cowboys, but that Prescott kid looks like the real deal.

To come away with the new franchise quarterback and the nfl rushing leader in the same draft...not bad.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2016, 10:06:15 AM »
To come away with the new franchise quarterback and the nfl rushing leader in the same draft...not bad.

Trade Romo to Denver today.
Y

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2016, 11:02:13 AM »

Unfortunately. 

Beefjake

• Getbig IV
  • Oh fuck it.
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2016, 01:04:34 PM »
Elway won't pay.
I think Romo will become a Jet, after this season.

Romos value might be surprisingly low. 36 and more suspect body than Joe Montana had.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2016, 01:50:24 PM »

Only if you get something decent back.

Having Tony Romo backing up your rookie qb is a pretty good thing to have.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2016, 07:05:59 AM »
Prescott, Cowboys Massacre Winless Browns 35-10, Extend Winning Streak to 7 Games

CLEVELAND -- The rookie show of quarterback Dak Prescott and running back Ezekiel Elliott accounted for all five touchdowns on Sunday, when the Dallas Cowboys' potent offense rolled to a 35-10 victory over the winless Cleveland Browns.

Prescott threw a 26-yard touchdown pass to tight end Jason Witten on the Cowboys' first possession after Cody Parkey kicked a 31-yard field goal for the Browns on the opening drive of the game. The Cowboys (7-1) never trailed again as they won their seventh straight game.

The Browns are 0-9 -- their worst start since they were 0-9 in 1975. That 1975 team beat the Cincinnati Bengals in Week 10 and won three of its last five games.

"I know we can do better, we will do better, but the same things keep rearing their ugly head," said Cleveland coach Hue Jackson. "It starts with me. We have to slow the run down. We have to control the other team's better players.

"No other players are going to walk in here. The first place I'm going to look to is us as coaches and leaders. Then we have to get our players better and put them in the best position we can and hopefully we'll make some of those plays down the stretch."

The Browns gave up at least 25 points in each of their nine losses. They have allowed 22 touchdowns through the air. Prescott had nine touchdown passes before the game and added three against the Browns.

"This is a grown man's game," Witten said. "It's mentally challenging, especially at the quarterback position. Zak doesn't act like a rookie. When he makes mistakes, he takes ownership. When you look at what he's done through eight weeks, it speaks to him and his preparation."

Prescott has now thrown eight touchdown passes and one interception on the road. His passer rating Sunday was 141.8.

Once again, the Cowboys' offensive line provided excellent protection for Prescott and opened freeway-sized running lanes for Elliott. The Cowboys used the same formula all season to soar into first place in the NFC East.

Dallas dominated time of possession, 39:39 to 20:21 for the Browns. The Cowboys basically had the ball twice as long as Cleveland.

"I don't know the exact numbers, but we took care of the ball and executed as a team," Cowboys guard Zack Martin said. "Our defense was lights out today. We pride ourselves in being able to run the football and we were able to show that today."

Elliott entered the game as the NFL's leading rusher with 799 yards despite the Cowboys playing one fewer game than teams that have yet to have their bye. He finished the game with 92 yards on 18 carries.

Elliott opened up a 14-3 lead for Dallas on a 10-yard run with 10:02 left in the second quarter and added a second rushing touchdown on an 8-yard scamper in the third quarter to open up a 28-10 Cowboys lead. They were his sixth and seventh running touchdowns of the season.

In between the Elliott touchdowns, Prescott threw a 6-yard touchdown pass to Cole Beasley for a 21-3 advantage. Prescott added another touchdown pass with 1:41 left in the third quarter when he hit tight end Gavin Escobar for 2 yards.

The Browns had a brief flare of momentum when they scored a touchdown with 23 seconds left in the second quarter on a 12-yard pass from Cody Kessler to Terrelle Pryor, but Elliott's second touchdown sapped the Browns, who are 1-19 in their last 20 games.

"We gave ourselves a chance there at the half and cut it close," Kessler said. "We couldn't capitalize and keep the momentum going.

"They're so effective running the football and they have a great offensive line. The time of possession they have from extended drives, we have to capitalize when we get the ball. He can't have three-and-outs or five or six play drives

Kessler, in his first game back after sitting out one week with a concussion, was sacked four times behind an offensive line that has struggled all season. He was 19 of 27 for 203 yards with no interceptions. He said he will be fine for the game against the Ravens on Thursday in Baltimore despite the pounding.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2016, 07:07:53 AM »
7 and 1!!!!

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2016, 07:12:52 AM »
A Throwback To The Jason Witten of Yesteryear

Cowboys 'Old Man' Witten shows he can still ride in win; 8 receptions, 134 yards

CLEVELAND
Dressed sharply in a suit, the epitome of a professional, tight end Jason Witten stood at his locker Sunday like he has done so many times in a brilliant 13-year NFL career.

The Dallas Cowboys had won their seventh straight game, and Witten quickly credited the contributions of the team's newest offensive stars — rookies Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott, two young guns playing like seasoned vets.

As if on cue, Elliott emerged from the shower and paid his respects.

"Old Man Witten ... Old Man Witten," Elliott sang, drawing a smile from Witten.

On Sunday, one of the old Cowboys showed he can still ride.

Witten caught a 26-yard touchdown pass and finished with eight receptions for 134 yards as the Cowboys thrashed the Cleveland Browns 35-10 to improve to 7-1.

Solid and steady for years, Witten accounted for more than half of Dallas' passing yardage. He was Prescott's favorite target, taking advantage of huge openings in Cleveland's soft defense.

"He just did a great job," Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said. "Much of it was in a complementary role to what we were doing in the running game, but he was the beneficiary and he just has a really good feel for getting open.

"You hear me talk a lot about quarterback-friendly, and he's the ultimate quarterback-friendly guy. He always gets himself open. The quarterbacks love throwing to him. He was able to catch a lot today."

Witten has been doing it for a long time.

With 1,058 receptions, 11,639 yards and 10 Pro Bowls, he ranks among the best tight ends in league history. He appears destined for enshrinement in Canton, Ohio, one day. But in the interim he's doing all he can to contribute to these new-look Cowboys, who are off to their best start since 2007.

Sure, the Cowboys have been infused with youth, but Witten gives them invaluable experience.

"Of course, he's not an old guy," 74-year-old owner Jerry Jones said with a smile. "But I'm sure he feels old out there with the other football players. For all that he's done for this team and this game, I'm happy that he's able to have this type of game.

"Jason Witten is in the top five people, personally, that I've met since I've been in the NFL — coaches, owners, players, everybody. He really is that good of a man."

It was Witten's first 100-yard game in three years and it provided a perfect balance to Elliott's running and Prescott, who has quieted any discussion about Tony Romo returning to the lineup anytime soon.

As Ellliott and Prescott changed near his locker, Witten said the rookies have rejuvenated him.

"They create a lot of energy," he said. "They make me feel young. Each and every day I tell them that. They've brought energy to our football team.

"For a veteran player like myself, when you look at young guys, the first thing you look at besides the skill level and things like that is 'Do they love football?' Those two really exemplify that more than anything I've seen in a long time.

"They love football, they love it on Sundays, but they also love it during the grind of the week."

Prescott said Witten leads the way. His contributions go beyond what he brings onto the field.

"He's a great vet to have on Sundays and really on Monday, as well," he said. "What he brings to the offense, to this team, his demeanor and how he goes about his business and how detailed he is, makes you want to be great."

Witten's TD came on a play where he was left wide open. Later, he showed off a nice spin move, drawing a few "shake and bake" quotes from teammates.

Witten got a kick out of that.

"My game's never really referenced a shake and bake," he said, laughing. "I'll take that. I believe I can play at that high level at tight end that people saw me play when I was younger."

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2016, 03:58:34 AM »
Yeah buddy.
Y

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2016, 05:36:30 AM »
Yeah buddy.

I found myself hoping they would put Romo in during the 4th quarter.

Got to hand it to the giants they have had the cowboys number this year.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2016, 05:39:55 AM »
I found myself hoping they would put Romo in during the 4th quarter.

Got to hand it to the giants they have had the cowboys number this year.

Giants only won because of one good play on offense.  They were inept on that side of the ball.

Young QBs, no matter how good, tend to act like young QBs when they get pressured.

Both these teams have a good shot in the playoffs this year, if the Giants get in, that is.
Y