Author Topic: SC school bans American flag from football games  (Read 4096 times)

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
Re: SC school bans American flag from football games
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2016, 03:40:07 PM »
It's a town full of red necks, just trashy, not a place that you want to visit. It used to be a good town till a few years ago and now it's worthless.  :-\ it was the talk of the gym this morning, but that's travelers rest, sadly.

Exactly....it's a place I stay away from
A

Board_SHERIF

• Getbig V
  • UK Independence Party
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2016, 03:41:07 PM »
Who wanted the ban of the flag?

Did South Carolinians complain? Or BLM maybe?

Does this Lou Lavely have an agenda of Peace?

Just                  has he ever picked up a barbell??

this was done to appease the shite stained skins of peace

K

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2016, 03:57:41 PM »
Keep the flag.  Ban the football.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2016, 03:58:59 PM »
ACLU didn't do it.

Lou Lavely, Travelers Rest High School Principal, is the moron on a power trip trying to make national news with this move.

I'm not going to disagree with you and he could have allowed it but the ACLU has the public school systems by the balls with threats of lawsuits because of the PC crap. All it takes is one complaint to the ACLU and the district gets tied up in legal. In Jan of this year I posted this up in my weightroom at school facing out into our corridor. I put it up before our 5:30am session to send a message. Late that afternoon it was removed. I asked the head coach why it was removed he stated when the principal was touring campus with the district heads they had it removed because "it might be offensive to other athletes". I told both the coach (who fully agreed with me as was just as frustrated) and the principal that my intention was just that.

https://twitter.com/joemarino1/status/691875581542162432

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2016, 04:01:24 PM »
Ban principals

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2016, 04:28:11 PM »

Yea..it's a big thing.  The fans chant USA and GO BACK TO MEXICO WHILE WAVING FLAGS.   Pretty shitty thing to do.  Its more to do with that than some actual agenda

Banning the flag won't stop anyone from saying "go back to Mexico".

So once again, we're back to the fact this move doesn't make any sense.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2016, 04:29:35 PM »
Btw, I agree this probably isn't driven by an agenda.  IMO this is just a dumb guy doing a stupid thing.

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2016, 04:35:02 PM »
Btw, I agree this probably isn't driven by an agenda.  IMO this is just a dumb guy doing a stupid thing.

Trying to gain popularity?
Q

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2016, 04:48:29 PM »
Trying to gain popularity?

I don't know, really.  But it can't make him terribly popular around many people in South Carolina.  I wouldn't want to be this guy, having to go about his business after doing this.  But it's his own fault and I hope he understands he fucked up.

But he was probably frustrated with the whiners being offended by some minor football aggression, and he made a snap decision about it.  Really dumb move, though, the way he went about it. 

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2016, 04:51:59 PM »
The Carolinas have historically been bastions of idiocy.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2016, 05:07:35 PM »
Seeing reports the Lavely guy has a history of doing things like this.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2016, 05:09:42 PM »
The Carolinas have historically been bastions of idiocy.

Explain please.  ???
D

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2016, 05:13:53 PM »
Explain please.  ???

They're letting their "officials" get away with some outrageous shit, lately, but I guess that more makes them "average" than anything else.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2016, 05:19:22 PM »
Explain please.  ???

Lots of Getbiggers!

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2016, 05:26:24 PM »
Lots of Getbiggers!

I see. I see tons of Getbiggers here when I drive to work! I embrace the Getbiggers I see on a day to day basis.  8)
D

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2016, 05:50:44 PM »
That same kid so show up to the next game with an ACLU flag the same size and start waving that around. And then record what the principle/teachers say and do to him. I'm willing to bet they do nothing to him...

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2016, 05:58:20 PM »
I know people are mentioning the ACLU in various stories, but they weren't involved at all afaik.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2016, 06:08:51 PM »
Story now seems to be that only "certain" people were stopped from entering with a flag.

Whole thing is just too much.  If there are people they need to refuse entry to (due to being 86'ed for trouble-making or whatever) then do that.

Why in the world the dumbshit principal involved flags in all this is beyond me.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2016, 06:11:30 PM »
Travelers Rest, SC (The Greenville News, WLTX) - Travelers Rest's Principal has reversed his decision to restrict the carrying of the American flag at high school football games.

People became upset and took to social media after a Travelers Rest student was blocked from carrying the flag into the stadium. Several people claimed in their posts that the decision was made before the Travelers Rest-Berea game because it might offend Berea’s large Hispanic community.

At the time, Travelers Rest’s principal, Lou Lavely, said the American flag has been used in the past to “taunt” Berea students, leading to confrontations. “Student safety (and in the case of a football game, safety of all attending) is our primary concern,” Lavely said. “It is the responsibility of the school to provide the safest environment possible, and no object, sign, chants by students, etc. would be permitted if they compromise safety.”

In a statement Monday from the district, Lavely denies that he believes or ever stated that the flag would be offensive in Berea.

He added that on Monday morning, he met with students and faculty, who told him that students should be judged on their own merits and not the actions of past students. As a result of that meeting, students will be allowed to bring the American flag to any and all Travelers Rest High School events. If needed, the the high school will address misuse of the flag or any other inappropriate behavior on an individual basis.

“I fully support Mr. Lavely’s thoughtful reconsideration, and his willingness to respond to advice and input from his community,” said Greenville County Superintendent Burke Royster in a statement. “I am appreciative of the Travelers Rest High School community for sharing its concerns and opinions on this matter in a respectful, civil manner.  I also appreciate and applaud their desire to promote patriotism and service as a part of the culture of their school and am in agreement that students’ desire to carry and display the American flag should be encouraged and supported throughout the District.”

Before this new decision was made, Berea High Principal Mike Noel issued a statement in support of Lavely.

"I am in full support of Mr. Lavely's actions at the football game on Friday night. He was protecting the greatest symbol of our nation, the American Flag. His decision was based on the premise that the American flag should not be used in a disrespectful or unsportsmanlike like manner. He made the right decision", Noel said in an email statement from the school district.

"Mr. Lavely should be celebrated for his dedication to supporting our veterans and encouraging student to love and respect our great nation", according to the statement. "We educate our students on how to display good sportsmanship and to show respect to our opponents. Both teams played hard and should be celebrated for their efforts on the field.  Both schools and communities need to embrace the spirit of competition in a positive manner, and show respect for each other's achievements."

SaintAnger

• Getbig IV
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2016, 06:12:13 PM »
if I was running for office and my base with a bunch of cop haters who love colon kapernick, then a stunt like this flag one would be a good one.

in a redneck town, seems stupid.   unless he is trying to push the confederate flag.  people in FL are suing and calling the newspaper cause schools don't let them hang the confederate flag from their trucks.

Friend of mine from Florida who lives in a nice are told me his HOA banned any owner or renter in their entire community from having a pick-up truck.

Glorious!