Author Topic: Getbig Server Found In Poland  (Read 3144 times)

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
Getbig Server Found In Poland
« on: September 28, 2016, 03:23:39 PM »

by Brittany Goetting — Tuesday, September 27, 2016
Battered But Not Beaten Commodore C64 Survives Over 25 Years Balancing Drive Shafts In Auto Repair Shop

One common complaint in the twenty-first century is that nothing is built to last. Even complex, expensive computers seem to have a relatively short shelf-life nowadays. One computer in a small auto repair shop in Gdansk, Poland, however, has survived for the last twenty-five years against all odds.

In January a photo was taken by Facebook user Bartek for the page Retrokomp/Loaderror. The picture recently resurfaced on Commodore USA’s Facebook page. The computer in question is a C64C that has been balancing driveshafts non-stop for a quarter of a century. The C64C looks like it would fit right in with a scene from Fallout 4 and has even survived a nasty flood and pigeon poop.

The Commodore 64, also known as the C64, C-64, C= 64, is an 8-bit home computer. It was released in January 1982 and is currently the best-selling computer of all time. At its unveil, it cost around $600 USD or $1,481.25 in 2016. The computer was finally discontinued in April 1994.

http://hothardware.com/news/battered-but-not-beaten-commodore-c64-survives-over-25-years-balancing-drive-shafts-in-auto-repair-shop

OB1

• Getbig IV
  • "Happiness equals reality minus expectations."
Re: Getbig Server Found In Poland
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 03:25:38 PM »
Easy.
It is not that complex technically.
Anyway, nice.
©

SquidVicious

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 04:19:48 PM »
i guess they finally decided to upgrade their VIC-20.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 04:32:20 PM »
Doesn't surprise me one bit.  Commodore 64's and Atart ST's were all the brainchild of Jack Tramiel...a very obsessive personality and micromanager similar to Steve Jobs.  Computers from the 80's were built to last a lifetime.  My first real computer (not a flea market piece of junk) was an Atari 1040 STF.  I used that computer for many years.  Nowadays, computers are pretty much throwaways.

As far as this article is concerned.  Why buy a new one if its still doing the job.  MOS 6510 processors are still available so parts can be replaced.  In fact, the Commodore 64 can be easily modified to use SD cards
A

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 05:02:54 PM »
Doesn't surprise me one bit.  Commodore 64's and Atart ST's were all the brainchild of Jack Tramiel...a very obsessive personality and micromanager similar to Steve Jobs.  Computers from the 80's were built to last a lifetime.  My first real computer (not a flea market piece of junk) was an Atari 1040 STF.  I used that computer for many years.  Nowadays, computers are pretty much throwaways.

As far as this article is concerned.  Why buy a new one if its still doing the job.  MOS 6510 processors are still available so parts can be replaced.  In fact, the Commodore 64 can be easily modified to use SD cards

Vince, what kind of server does Caliber Fitness Solutions run on?
X

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 05:09:57 PM »

He's calling his boy in India for the exact specs. The indian fella has gotten very efficient at multitasking, cooking fried chicken for his master while keeping the Caliber Fitness empire websites up and running.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 05:19:41 PM »
Load "*",8,1

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 06:11:30 PM »
He's calling his boy in India for the exact specs. The indian fella has gotten very efficient at multitasking, cooking fried chicken for his master while keeping the Caliber Fitness empire websites up and running.

Caliber Fitness is an Empire.  8) 8)
X

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 06:49:46 PM »

Quad Core VPS server with 3GB RAM, 75GB SSD RAID storage, with a monthly bandwidth limit of 2000GB that runs on CENT OS.  ....enough juice to run all of my websites.  Its also 100% Green Energy powered by wind.

I also recently set up another VPS server that Windows Based that will run my Scrapebox and Xrumer programs.
A

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 07:22:27 PM »
As far as this article is concerned.  Why buy a new one if its still doing the job.  MOS 6510 processors are still available so parts can be replaced.  In fact, the Commodore 64 can be easily modified to use SD cards

The same reason you replace any computer.  Moores law.  A MOS 6510 processor has 3,510 transistors compared to 3.3 billion transistors in an A10 processor in the IPhone 7.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 07:28:29 PM »
The same reason you replace any computer.  Moores law.  A MOS 6510 processor has 3,510 transistors compared to 3.3 billion transistors in an A10 processor in the IPhone 7.

But all the computer does is balance tires and if it does its job then its all that matters.  Besides, the software and equipment to do the same job would run well over 5 figures so I can understand why they are still using the same setup.
A

C-BuZz

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 07:29:03 PM »

Quad Core VPS server with 3GB RAM, 75GB SSD RAID storage, with a monthly bandwidth limit of 2000GB that runs on CENT OS.  ....enough juice to run all of my websites.  Its also 100% Green Energy powered by wind.

I also recently set up another VPS server that Windows Based that will run my Scrapebox and Xrumer programs.

Server with 3gb ram ?? LAL. Then again, there's only 2 hits a day both coming from your home pc so doesn't need much.

Is that a laptop?

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 10:53:13 PM »

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 02:05:35 PM »
The chips on the C64 will give out some day.
Jack Tramiel was a cut throat.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 02:17:25 PM »
The chips on the C64 will give out some day.
Jack Tramiel was a cut throat.

If they stay cool there is no reason why they won't last forever.  The motherboard might crap out as solder tends to get loose but they built computers with super heavy plastic to last a lifetime.  Fucking Ipad was dropped two inches onto the counter and the entire soft aluminium corner caved in.  At least they replaced it for free.

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 03:38:32 PM »

Quad Core VPS server with 3GB RAM, 75GB SSD RAID storage, with a monthly bandwidth limit of 2000GB that runs on CENT OS.  ....enough juice to run all of my websites.  Its also 100% Green Energy powered by wind.

I used to live next door to the now chairman and past and founder/ceo of RAID.  Cool guy and we still hang out on occasion.

OB1

• Getbig IV
  • "Happiness equals reality minus expectations."
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2016, 04:13:32 PM »
If they stay cool there is no reason why they won't last forever.  

Nothing will last forever.
©