Author Topic: Ernie taylor's comment on Ronnie coleman's bench  (Read 23892 times)

tom joad

• Getbig V
Re: Ernie taylor's comment on Ronnie coleman's bench
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2006, 09:32:41 AM »
I think Ernie was referring to 2 collective workouts.  8 one day and 7 reps the next workout.

yeah, i think you might be right.  who cares what he can bench in one lousy workout?  let's hear his lifetime cumulative bench numbers.

DEFCON

• Getbig IV
  • LSD, 100 µg, i.m.
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2006, 09:33:23 AM »
OK...

Don't be so quick to accuse E.T. of bullshitting.  He may have never actually said that in the first place.  It's gotten so bad, you can hardly believe anything you read in FLEX or some of the other mags anymore.  It's looking more and more like the mags are either not checking their facts, or intentionally exaggerating things under the guise of "journalistic license" just to be sensational and sell a few more issues.
even the pictures are exaggerated

andrethegiant

• Getbig I
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2006, 09:36:50 AM »
Maybe Ronnie is just really strong ???

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2006, 09:39:02 AM »
If Ronnie could bench anything close to those numbers, he could show up at a powerlifting meet any given day in the offseason and break some records.  Believing those kinds of numbers is like believing Bruce Lee was actually a badass.

Bruce Lee was a badass. He could thrust his fingers through full cans of coke (these were steel, not aluminum cans), he could send a 300 pound sandbag slapping against the ceiling with a single side-kick, he could strike from 3 feet away in .005 seconds and the list goes on...

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2006, 09:39:16 AM »
yeah, i think you might be right.  who cares what he can bench in one lousy workout?  let's hear his lifetime cumulative bench numbers.
I did 315 for 28 solid reps at the body weight of 212lbs...last January.
N

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2006, 09:39:22 AM »
Maybe Ronnie is just really strong ???

why the sad face?  you want big ronnie to be weak?

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2006, 09:40:36 AM »
Bruce Lee was a badass. He could thrust his fingers through full cans of coke (these were steel, not aluminum cans), he could send a 300 pound sandbag slapping against the ceiling with a single side-kick, he could strike from 3 feet away in .005 seconds and the list goes on...
Bruce Lee is so light, I'd club him with my forearm and he'd end up in California.  Plus, I saw the Karate Kid 6x.
N

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2006, 09:43:08 AM »

Sorry bro, but I don't get teh funny.

IMO, I think a lot of people will actully think you're serious too...

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2006, 09:46:00 AM »
Sorry bro, but I don't get teh funny.

IMO, I think a lot of people will actully think you're serious too...

YIP
Zack

I am being serious. I have studied Master Lee's life. He has taught me a great deal. These are documented facts, eye witness accounts.

body88

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2006, 09:49:20 AM »
600 would come down and drive him through the floor, he wouldn't even get it an inch off his chest, in COR he was 315 lbs. and offseason and he got a very, very hard 5 with 495.

Ya that makes sense. People tend to forget when you are dealing with huge wights like 500 lbs on a bench even 25 more pounds is alot of ground to cover

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2006, 09:51:48 AM »

Ya that makes sense. People tend to forget when you are dealing with huge wights like 500 lbs on a bench even 25 more pounds is alot of ground to cover

Maybe for you ::)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2006, 09:52:21 AM »
I am being serious. I have studied Master Lee's life. He has taught me a great deal. These are documented facts, eye witness accounts.

Ok. Let's break it down then... Moving three feet in .005 seconds is simply just not possible. A physics teacher (Howard!!) could tell you how fast that really would be.

Same thing with the 300 lbs sandbag. Bruce Lee was never able to generate that kind of force.

The only feat which may be doable, is the can trick.

Remember that anything that Bruce Lee was able to do, can be done by someone today.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2006, 09:53:27 AM »
I did 315 for 28 solid reps at the body weight of 212lbs...last January.

I just crunched some numbers and it appears I benched 11,980 lbs. last night.  True story.

Of course it was spread over 7 sets including 2 warmup and 2 drop sets.

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2006, 09:59:18 AM »
Jim Williams could "only" do around 10 reps with 530 lb, and he benched near 700.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2006, 10:00:08 AM »
Ok. Let's break it down then... Moving three feet in .005 seconds is simply just not possible. A physics teacher (Howard!!) could tell you how fast that really would be.

Same thing with the 300 lbs sandbag. Bruce Lee was never able to generate that kind of force.

The only feat which may be doable, is the can trick.

Remember that anything that Bruce Lee was able to do, can be done by someone today.

YIP
Zack

It is not possible for most people because their minds cannot imagine it. The body can only do what the mind wills it to. Have you seen video of Bruce Lee kicking his training partners 12 feet across the room? The force is about 12*140 (1680). Assuming that the sandbag is no more than 5.6 feet from the ceiling, that would be the same amount of force. I'll admit that the .005 second strike does sound exaggerated. The person probably meant to say .05 seconds, which is feasible because Bruce was said to strike in the blink of an eye, which takes place in .01 seconds.

Other people can do some of Bruce Lee's feats, but it was his combination of mind and body that made him special, and the reason that he is still discussed today.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2006, 10:02:12 AM »

i kinda disagree 25lbs when u are in that region of huge numbers is not a lot. its nly 5% of what he is working with. so so impressive nevertheless. nobody on this except probaly woolfe and onlyme in his prime cud approach those numbers.

sarcasm 18% on 500lbs is 590lbs 10lbs from 600. very feasible as there could easily be room for a 2% discrepency when using rep conversion charts.

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2006, 10:09:17 AM »
 The slowdown in improvements occurs only when one's strength potential is about to be fully realized.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2006, 11:20:01 AM »
If you remember Ernie was the same guy who thought Ronnie could do the vaccum pose.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2006, 12:16:14 PM »
in another issue of flex
eddie abbew stated he benched 630 for 6 reps
choice is an illusion

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2006, 12:17:16 PM »
If you remember Ernie was the same guy who thought Ronnie could do the vaccum pose.

HAHAHAHAHA I think Ernie just wanted Ronnie to push his shit in

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2006, 12:23:33 PM »
Lets talk about Johny Jackson's pathetic bench! 540... his squad and deadlift are over 800... whats that all about? Why is he so weak in the bench press? Does he need to train with Ronnie?
just push some weight!

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2006, 12:25:33 PM »
I'd kick Bruce Lee's skinny little ass.
"Shut the F up and train"

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2006, 01:16:29 PM »
i kinda disagree 25lbs when u are in that region of huge numbers is not a lot. its nly 5% of what he is working with. so so impressive nevertheless. nobody on this except probaly woolfe and onlyme in his prime cud approach those numbers.

sarcasm 18% on 500lbs is 590lbs 10lbs from 600. very feasible as there could easily be room for a 2% discrepency when using rep conversion charts.

you obviously know absolutely nothing about lifting judging from that statement.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2006, 01:19:48 PM »
you obviously know absolutely nothing about lifting judging from that statement.

why don't you try helping him with a reach around instead of bashing him and maybe blow him you fag
$

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2006, 01:22:30 PM »

why don't you try helping him with a reach around instead of bashing him and maybe blow him you fag
let's put it like this, when you were benching 225 for a hard 5 reps could you bench 315?
Jaejonna rows 125!!