Author Topic: Is training Calves counterproductive?  (Read 17162 times)

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
Re: Is training Calves counterproductive?
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2016, 10:26:32 AM »
Last few posts disagree heavily.
I think the overall conclusion is that calves are a weird bodypart. That means VERY genetic.
I'm in my 40s and have tried al kindsa training routines for calves....they grew, sure, but not like chest or biceps or quads. I know I will never have calves like Dorian or Matarazzo or (even..) Wolf (wish I had).

says Dr Dutch

Leafeon

• Getbig I
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2016, 05:16:20 PM »
Much like the rear delts on shoulder day, calves are often neglected—or saved for the last part of a leg workout, when you're tired and barely able to muster up the energy for a couple of half-assed sets.

As you probably already know, muscles can't grow if they receive subpar training. If you really want to make your calves stand-out, you must start training them the way you train your back or chest: fresh, from every angle, and to complete exhaustion.

If you can start your leg training with calves—and train them with the same intensity as you do your quads and hamstrings—do it. If you're trying to hit your upper legs super-hard and just don't have the energy to do the same to your calves on leg day, add an extra calf day into your split or add the work to a different workout.

Whatever you choose, the point is to ensure that your calves don't suffer from lack of attention.

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2016, 07:56:33 PM »
Much like the rear delts on shoulder day, calves are often neglected—or saved for the last part of a leg workout, when you're tired and barely able to muster up the energy for a couple of half-assed sets.

As you probably already know, muscles can't grow if they receive subpar training. If you really want to make your calves stand-out, you must start training them the way you train your back or chest: fresh, from every angle, and to complete exhaustion.

If you can start your leg training with calves—and train them with the same intensity as you do your quads and hamstrings—do it. If you're trying to hit your upper legs super-hard and just don't have the energy to do the same to your calves on leg day, add an extra calf day into your split or add the work to a different workout.

Whatever you choose, the point is to ensure that your calves don't suffer from lack of attention.

That's kind of general advice for any muscle group. What exercises and techniques, specifically for calves, would you recommend?

Bigmacdaddy18

• Getbig II
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2016, 05:26:36 PM »
Low reps, heavy ass weight and train often.
Here is an article I wrote a few months back. Number one question I get in the gym is how I built my calves.

http://clinicalsportslabs.com/calf-training-up-hold-down-repeat/

light weight baby

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2016, 05:43:35 PM »
i've stopped training them

pointless, they dont grow anyway

heenok

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2016, 12:44:59 AM »
Mine grow very little but i can see improvement. Most noticable is the vascularity being more and more proeminent.

-Best exercises are donkey calf raises and standing calf raises (either on a leg press or machine)
-Seated calf raises are a WASTE OF TIME, they only work your soleus which doesnt make any difference visually.
-Pause when the calves are stretched at the bottom and then push slowly, you need to take out all the achilles tendon momentum and put all the stress on the muscle.
-Use full ROM.
-The more you do the more they grow, theres no overtraining with calves, just dont blow up your tendons.

Zillotch

• Getbig V
  • the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2017, 09:12:24 PM »
Train calves like you train everything else. They'll take time, but they'll grow.

plenty of people never grow at all.