Author Topic: ESPN $5.6b Debacle: Football Semifinal Ratings down 32% from 2014  (Read 25087 times)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Re: ESPN $5.6b Debacle: Football Semifinal Ratings down 32% from 2014
« Reply #125 on: April 29, 2017, 10:16:00 PM »
What 7th round NFL draft has a $3 million Adidas deal?  That is huge shoe money for a guy like Adrian Peterson, what fringe player would get that deal?

He prepared for his NFL combine with a very reputable training company that has probably 10-15% of the combine athletes plus well known agency representing him. Don't get me wrong because this trainer is one that i learn from but having that many athletes it's hard to get that personal attention when you train in large groups. That being said, he had a poor showing (his 40 time killed him) at the combine that dropped his stock. After that he didn't want to return to him to have him prep for his pro-day. That 40 time pretty much ruined any chances of him even making the draft. Long story short, one my guys knew and he came and worked with me for about 2-3 weeks preparing for his pro-day. He had a great proday showing, we managed to knock off about a little more than a 1/10th of a sec and wound up in that late 7th.

The adidas deal was done anyway just waiting to be signed when he got picked up. Had nothing to do with me, the training, etc. just that bad 40 at the NFL combine. He was already on the radar and projected late 5th- early 6th. Dave, there's so much money being thrown around it's ridiculous. I think that deal is something like over 3-4 years not sure tho.

Correction, he signed that deal after his pro-day not after he was picked in the draft. My mistake.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #126 on: April 30, 2017, 05:48:32 AM »
He prepared for his NFL combine with a very reputable training company that has probably 10-15% of the combine athletes plus well known agency representing him. Don't get me wrong because this trainer is one that i learn from but having that many athletes it's hard to get that personal attention when you train in large groups. That being said, he had a poor showing (his 40 time killed him) at the combine that dropped his stock. After that he didn't want to return to him to have him prep for his pro-day. That 40 time pretty much ruined any chances of him even making the draft. Long story short, one my guys knew and he came and worked with me for about 2-3 weeks preparing for his pro-day. He had a great proday showing, we managed to knock off about a little more than a 1/10th of a sec and wound up in that late 7th.

The adidas deal was done anyway just waiting to be signed when he got picked up. Had nothing to do with me, the training, etc. just that bad 40 at the NFL combine. He was already on the radar and projected late 5th- early 6th. Dave, there's so much money being thrown around it's ridiculous. I think that deal is something like over 3-4 years not sure tho.

Correction, he signed that deal after his pro-day not after he was picked in the draft. My mistake.

That's interesting because most 7th round picks are camp bodies and they never make a team. Ive read shoe companies have a hard time investing in NFL players.

The thought is that most people don't recognize them with the helmet off. I was standing next to Gary Barnridge and Deangelo Williams at an expo and I had no idea who they were until someone asked me if I knew them afterward, and I'm a fan enough to know who each guy is and their respective stats.  People are fans of the team and not the individual.

The article also stated its hard to market/make money off cross trainers and football cleats.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #127 on: April 30, 2017, 05:52:55 AM »
Sports is a compete waste of precious time.  Useless entertainment... that's all it is.  Funny how some people take it so serious... I laugh at them.  Your time would be better spent doing something more constructive.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #128 on: April 30, 2017, 07:59:16 AM »
That's interesting because most 7th round picks are camp bodies and they never make a team. Ive read shoe companies have a hard time investing in NFL players.

The thought is that most people don't recognize them with the helmet off. I was standing next to Gary Barnridge and Deangelo Williams at an expo and I had no idea who they were until someone asked me if I knew them afterward, and I'm a fan enough to know who each guy is and their respective stats.  People are fans of the team and not the individual.

The article also stated its hard to market/make money off cross trainers and football cleats.

I don't doubt it. He didn't start or even play most of the season but stayed on the practice squad. He got traded late in the season and wound up starting 3-4 games. I think the endorsement $$$ lies between the companies and his agent negotiating it. I was standing right next to his agent at his proday and talking to him (just trying to make a connection to have him send his guys to us more than anything) and he sounds like he can BS pretty good, not that he was BSing..lol

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #129 on: May 01, 2017, 07:54:55 AM »
I was listening to ESPN radio yesterday and there are two dudes and one chick.  The chick was complaining about the NFL drafting two players known for either hitting a woman or accused of rape.  And the self hating men starting saying how Men are vile and disgusting people and stupid etc....  I just changed the channel.  Fuck you assholes. 

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #130 on: May 01, 2017, 09:21:00 AM »
I was listening to ESPN radio yesterday and there are two dudes and one chick.  The chick was complaining about the NFL drafting two players known for either hitting a woman or accused of rape.  And the self hating men starting saying how Men are vile and disgusting people and stupid etc....  I just changed the channel.  Fuck you assholes. 

Fascinating

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
« Reply #131 on: May 01, 2017, 01:07:21 PM »

x2

Serious white knighting going on there.

In related news...

Liar Priest chilidogged booty.

They should spank black kids harder in schools.  They've tried everything else.
K

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #132 on: May 01, 2017, 01:13:49 PM »

Well, don't most teams stay away from these types of players, since they often cause trouble for the organization by bringing negative attention to the team? I just thought it was good PR to stay away from players who have a past criminal history, no matter what the criminal history his.

For the most part, football and other sports is a monumental waste of time, but I guess it brings enjoyment to people on Sunday afternoon.
X

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #133 on: May 03, 2017, 10:24:28 AM »
ESPN’s Michael Smith: ‘If You Are a City in America, You Are a Racist City’

ESPN “SC6” co-host Michael Smith had a strong reaction Tuesday to a group of Boston Red Sox fans using racial slurs towards Baltimore Orioles center fielder Adam Jones Monday night with one fan throwing peanuts at him.

Gov. Charlie Baker (R-MA) and Boston Mayor Marty Walsh both apologized and shot down any notion that Boston is a racist city, but Smith refused to accept their apologies.

“If you are a city in America, you are a racist city,” Smith stated.

Partial transcript as follows:

Why does it take such an extreme act of obvious racism and bigotry to get people sickened and disgusted? You want to know why in 2017 this still happens? It’s because we don’t recognize racism when it’s in our face every day. It’s because the nuanced, subtle, beneath the surface racism every day is argued and shut down because we’re in a “post-racial society,” because we’re past that.

But let somebody say the n-word — “Oh, this is disgusting.” What about the people that think it every day, that act on it every day in policy and practice that are saying it, maybe not to players on the field, but are saying it to other patrons in the parks or when they go outside in the streets.

When you say this is not when we’re about, we’re better than this if you are a city in America, you are a racist city. That’s who we are as a society still and unless until people come to grips and get comfortable with discussing every day day-to-day racism and bigotry, not just the n-word or not just throwing a banana on the field or peanuts on the field, we [are going to] still spin our wheels when it comes to this conversation.
a

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #134 on: May 03, 2017, 10:54:35 AM »
I don't think blacks realize that half this country hates them and would gladly return to the 1800's if they could.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #135 on: May 03, 2017, 01:00:33 PM »
The Slow Death of ESPN, and other Sports Thoughts
Flopping Aces ^ | 05-03-17 | Brother Bob
Posted on 5/3/2017, 1:04:04 PM by Starman417

After enjoying the three day festival known as the NFL Draft, as well as the excellent picks made by my beloved Philadelphia Eagles, this seemed like a great time to weigh in on a few sports-related topics.

The Conservasphere has been having a blast dancing on the soon-to be grave of ESPN. After a few years of increasingly obnoxious radical left wing politics being forced on its viewers, as opposed to sports reporting, ESPN is in an economic death spiral. The Nation's resident sports scold, David Zirin, dropped a surprisingly coherent summary:

As Ley and others have explained, these layoffs are about the staggering multi-billion dollar price tags that sports networks are paying for the rights fees to broadcast games because live sports are the last shows that people are willing to sit through commercials to watch. They are also related to changing viewing habits that has more people “cutting the cord” of cable and the high costs of having ESPN as part of our cable packages.
But naturally Zirin couldn't just give us a smart take before going full idiot:
If you see any article that tries to blame ESPN’s economic struggles on the “liberal” tilt of the network, use those to line your birdcage. First, it’s not true. Second, it seems to be a reaction to the fact that ESPN actually has a laudable commitment to diversity and putting women, black people, and people of color in a position to actually talk about sports. This sends the alt-right sewers of the Internet and their minions at publications like the National Review into fits of hysterics. It’s an unserious argument made by unserious people.
Yep, the ink was barely dry on a fair point when Zirin had to fall back to that tired Leftist cry of racism. If you want a really good analysis of ESPN's downfall, head over to The Federalist for Sean Davis' story.
I'm right there alongside the many who've gotten tired of ESPN. After their heyday of the 90s ESPN started becoming unwatchable in the early 2000s. There wasn't a 15 minute interval that could pass without either some Sportscaster host belting out his catchphrase, one of those awful sponsored segments (remember those "Here's to football" Coors Light segments?), or two random guys screaming at each other trying to mimic the two idiots who started it all, Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon on "Pardon the Interruption". I slowly watched ESPN less and less until we finally decided to cut the cord. Shortly before we did (although this did not influence or decision), ESPN hit a low point for me in September of 2014.

For some backdrop, my favorite day of the football season is opening day - the optimism, the return of football, the unofficial start of fall. On this day the Eagles would storm back from a 21-0 first half shutout to beat the Jaguars. Even better, our division rivals Giant and Redskins lost, and our most hated rivals, the Dallas Cowboys lost to the SF 49ers in a three-interception game by their Quarterback Tony Romo. I hadn't looked forward to the following day's Sportscenter like this in a while. Instead of the football bonanza, the hour of programming was dominated by... the domestic abuse story concerning Ravens running back Ray Rice. So instead of enjoying football highlights half of the episode featured some of ESPN's personalities in a round table with some feminists lecturing us on violence in sports.  Not that the Rice story should have been ignored - it absolutely deserved reporting, but not a 30 minute screed that was guaranteed to appeal to absolutely nobody who is tuning in to catch sports highlights. Sound familiar?

To Zirin's credit, he did briefly lament at the top of his post that the people being laid off are journalists, not the on air personalities before becoming your typical leftist tirade. The smarter analysis came from the close of Davis' post, which sadly I doubt ESPN will follow:

"The most interesting aspect of the mass layoffs on Wednesday isn’t that they happened, it’s who the network targeted. Not the high-priced carnival barkers and the know-nothing loudmouths doing their best to make Rachel Maddow proud. Nope. ESPN targeted sports reporters. In an effort to cut some fat from its bottom line, ESPN exchanged a scalpel for a chainsaw, skipped the fat entirely, and went straight to cutting out muscle.
If ESPN wants to once again be the worldwide leader in sports, it should refocus on covering sports, which used to be a refuge from politics and the news."

On to the next topic, we stay with Zirin. who back in March was calling for the players to go on strike and not play in the Final Four games of the tournament:
In 2016, ESPN college basketball broadcaster and longtime NCAA critic Jay Bilas dropped a bomb on a March Madness telecast when he said:
I think it’s almost offensive for those that are paid and making millions to tell those that are unpaid and the engine generating millions that they are blessed is equally laughable and kinda sad. Because [a boycott of the Final Four] has been discussed among players.

If this sounds vaguely familiar to regular readers it's because I addressed this same issue two years ago when Zirin made a similar demand of Duke's Coach K. drop everything, turn his back on his team and carry the flag for the Radical Left's outrage of the day. But regarding players unionizing, I came out in full support of this idea two years ago, If college athletes were to unionize I think they would get more of a practical education than anything they could possibly learn in those re-education camps passing for classrooms. As proof of the power of athletes Zirin cites the "success" of the University of Missouri's football team:
Anyone who doubts the economic power of young athletes need only look back to 2015 when Mizzou’s football team refused to play in protest of the school administration’s inaction in the face of on-campus racism. The university faced a $1 million fine and the president was gone within a week.
Some triumph. As I pointed out when this went down, in the era of online profiles every member of the football team is going to have a hard time finding work after graduation. And after my post went up Missouri became even more of a racial SJW hornet's nest, and as a result enrollment has plummeted while alumni donations shriveled. The beauty of being a Leftist is not giving a damn about who gets hurt by your ideas!
How about Colin Kaepernick? Last year I threw in my two cents on how the Radical Left praised his kneeling during the National Anthem, while ignoring a retired NFL player of far greater character. Apparently now Kaep is out of work not because of his actions but because of a conspiracy against the former 49ers quarterback! According to WaPo's Kevin Blackstone:

(Excerpt) Read more at floppingaces.net ...

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #136 on: May 03, 2017, 01:05:49 PM »
The Slow Death of ESPN, and other Sports Thoughts
Flopping Aces ^ | 05-03-17 | Brother Bob
Posted on 5/3/2017, 1:04:04 PM by Starman417

Brother Bob at floppingaces?  Holy fuck.  You morons can cry fake news all day but then follow these trash sites like gospel.  Fucking moron.

I do agree that ESPN has gone full black and because of that is going to die a quicker death.

Conker

• Getbig IV
  • looks like you went for the overcooked potato look
« Reply #137 on: May 03, 2017, 02:59:28 PM »
I don't think blacks realize that half this country hates them and would gladly return to the 1800's if they could.

they probably do and that's probably the reason they don't care for the shty flag or anthem.

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: May 03, 2017, 05:13:05 PM »
they probably do and that's probably the reason they don't care for the shty flag or anthem.

They never turn down government cheese or any other handout.
K

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: May 03, 2017, 08:08:16 PM »

From your mouth to God's ears...

Marlo Stanfield

• Getbig IV
  • You want it to be one way,but it's the other way.
« Reply #140 on: May 04, 2017, 03:17:19 AM »
NFL numbers are declining mostly because of the political statements and the excessive rules and penalties thanks to Goodell (just my opinion) ESPN is taking a hit because they can't help injecting their left leaning politics from sports. No one (no, not even me) wants to hear political BS when trying to keep up with the sporting world.

I disagree... They suck because they just suck period. Gone are the glory days of 2003-2008 ish when you actually would want to watch SportsCenter. They broadcasters were amazing, they actually talked sports, and they offered great analysis. Now everyone and their mother has some sort of show, which is fine, but the shit they talk about is nonesense. I remember one time, their intro for the next section was that Steven A. Smith is going to share his favorite lasagna recipe or some shit like that... seriously???

i mean we're talking about sports, and at some point, the scalability hits a point of diminishing return, especially when they talk about the same few sports over and over again, like there isnt that much going on to have 10-12 hours of Live broadcasting shows across 3-4 or however many channels they have, there just really isnt that much to talk about on a daily basis, especially when they mostly focus on American sports (the big 4, NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL).

The analysts suck, nowadays its not about analysis and breakdown, its mostly about personal anecdotes , thats what i think is the problem, but then again i havent had cable TV for the last 6 years, i'll just stream whatever i want to watch

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #141 on: May 06, 2017, 11:47:04 AM »
They never turn down government cheese or any other handout.

True dat.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #142 on: June 05, 2017, 10:26:11 AM »
ESPN trying to save face? Too late, me thinks.

a

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #143 on: June 05, 2017, 10:51:57 AM »
ESPN trying to save face? Too late, me thinks.

So fucking sick how Country music is the opening for all NFL broadcasts.  Country Music and Military ass kissing.  Just play the fucking game and open up with Metallica.

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
« Reply #144 on: June 05, 2017, 08:06:11 PM »
So fucking sick how Country music is the opening for all NFL broadcasts.  Country Music and Military ass kissing.  Just play the fucking game and open up with Metallica.

I don't mind Hank, but I would also prefer Metallica. 
K

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #145 on: June 05, 2017, 09:16:50 PM »
Fuck ESPN, Disney and the NFL.

Fuck 'em all to hell. 

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #146 on: June 05, 2017, 11:04:49 PM »

Better than rap or hip hop

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #147 on: June 06, 2017, 06:07:31 AM »

True, very true.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #148 on: June 06, 2017, 07:27:42 AM »

You've got to tune in to SC6 for that. 

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #149 on: June 06, 2017, 08:21:02 AM »
You've got to tune in to SC6 for that. 

I was watching PTI before and left the TV on, took a shit, came back and was wondering what the fuck was on the tube and realized it was this SC6 shit.  How the fuck does ESPN think this is a good thing?