Author Topic: ESPN $5.6b Debacle: Football Semifinal Ratings down 32% from 2014  (Read 24936 times)

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
Re: ESPN $5.6b Debacle: Football Semifinal Ratings down 32% from 2014
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2017, 10:57:19 AM »
Jay Cutler is white though.

Brianthehulk

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2017, 11:38:10 AM »
Yes look for Disney to dump ESPN if they can, they will keep ABC, that is just there showcase for Disney owned shows right now.
I work for Fox Sports, I see it first hand, all news outlets are losing money, Sports, business, tabloid etc.
There are too many ways besides tv to get information.

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2017, 11:40:18 AM »
Yes look for Disney to dump ESPN if they can, they will keep ABC, that is just there showcase for Disney owned shows right now.
I work for Fox Sports, I see it first hand, all news outlets are losing money, Sports, business, tabloid etc.
There are too many ways besides tv to get information.

brian i really think that in another 10 to 15 years cable will be obsolete these younger kids will not pay for it, when they can stream everything , through there phone or a roku box  , stick etc,   

the amount of money espn has tied up in  broadcast  contracts is enormous.   you got midlevel nba players making 20 million a year now.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2017, 11:48:26 AM »
Fuck Disney, ESPN and the NFL and the NBA.  Professional athletics is ridiculous.

And again, fuck Disney.  What a disgusting turd of a company its become.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2017, 02:22:32 PM »
So much for the narrative that his teammates consider him a "distraction" and don't support him  :-\

This is the real reason.  ESPN has been losing about 300,000 subscribers/month for a few years now.  People are just tired of paying for cable packages that provide hundreds of channels they dont watch

The real embarrassment is ESPN's contract to air 1 Wildcard game each year .. they pay $100 million for ONE game that the NFL chooses, and it's not even exclusive rights!  That game this year?  The Raiders-Texans wildcard game, which is on the worst timeslot and featuring the worst playoff quarterback matchup we've seen in a long time

TV is an outdated medium and if cable companies don't smarten up real quick, they're going to be left in the dust

That's 3.6million a year. That makes me think they'd be at zero after 9 months. ???

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2017, 03:21:01 PM »
as a french watching nfl it's clear that the game turned to shit because of too much control of violence on the gridiron.

Dick Butkus is my favorite player, he was a linebacker for the bears during 60/70. Watching highlight of Butkus, where he was destroying everybody and watching nfl today and you can see how the game have been pussyfied.

James harrisson from steelers had to pay 250000 buck of penalities for "violence", and you can hear the commentator, when he hits, saying stuff like "the quarterback is defenseless" "there is no way he can see Harrisson coming to kick his ass" etc etc
asstropin

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2017, 03:37:25 PM »
Like stated already, the NFL's crap caught up to them.  They have exploited the military for years with all the fighter jet fly overs, life feeds from soldiers in the middle east watching games, camo jerseys and apparel etc...I could go on.  The NFL couldn't give two shits about the military.  It's a business and all they care about is ratings which equals money.  In this case, they probably gambled with allowing the kneeling during the national anthem, thinking it would pay off and it didn't.  I haven't watched a complete football game in probably 7 or 8 years so maybe my take on it is way off.

In any case, I've always felt the NFL's days were numbered anyways due to the increased awareness of head injuries and the sharp increase in emphasis on safety.  There is no way the league will ever go back to what it was decades ago in terms of toughness and brutality.  As popular as it may have seemed as of lately, I believe it's a sport that is slowly dying.  There's too many other sports for young men to do these days that don't involve the injury risks. 

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2017, 04:43:21 PM »
Like stated already, the NFL's crap caught up to them.  They have exploited the military for years with all the fighter jet fly overs, life feeds from soldiers in the middle east watching games, camo jerseys and apparel etc...I could go on.  The NFL couldn't give two shits about the military.  It's a business and all they care about is ratings which equals money.  In this case, they probably gambled with allowing the kneeling during the national anthem, thinking it would pay off and it didn't.  I haven't watched a complete football game in probably 7 or 8 years so maybe my take on it is way off.

In any case, I've always felt the NFL's days were numbered anyways due to the increased awareness of head injuries and the sharp increase in emphasis on safety.  There is no way the league will ever go back to what it was decades ago in terms of toughness and brutality.  As popular as it may have seemed as of lately, I believe it's a sport that is slowly dying.  There's too many other sports for young men to do these days that don't involve the injury risks. 

The older generation of HUUUUGE football fans will all eventually die of Liver disease or heart attacks in the near future.  it will still stay popular in cities with jack shit else like a niche sport in about 15 years.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2017, 05:21:56 PM »
I am glad they penalize them for the dancing an over-zealous acting when they score a touchdown. Its annoying and should be removed from the game.

On the other hand, helmet to helmet contact should be allowed. They know the risks. That is why they get paid so much. Don't want to risk injury, don't play. Its funny, people talk about personal responsibility, yet want to blame the NFL when people get concussions from helmet to helmet. Again, you don't want a concussion, don't play. If you get a concussion from helmet to helmet, take responsibility for choosing to play the game.

The helmet to helmet thing is retarded.  The NFL could take out the hard shell and make them wear NERF helmets and they'd be safer but they care more about the look and shiny helmets.  Hope that whole fucking league implodes.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2017, 05:29:21 PM »
The helmet to helmet thing is retarded.  The NFL could take out the hard shell and make them wear NERF helmets and they'd be safer but they care more about the look and shiny helmets.  Hope that whole fucking league implodes.

Don't know where my post went.  ??? ???

Anyway, I agree with you. The only game I watch is the super bowl and I will most likely forgo watching it this year. I hear there is penalty for just about everything.  ??? ???
X

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2017, 05:38:04 PM »

Anyway, I agree with you. The only game I watch is the super bowl and I will most likely forgo watching it this year. I hear there is penalty for just about everything.  ??? ???

Plus, Spirit Cooking enthusiast, Lady GaGa will be the halftime entertainment.

Gays Rejoice everywhere.
a

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2017, 05:48:15 PM »
Plus, Spirit Cooking enthusiast, Lady GaGa will be the halftime entertainment.

Gays Rejoice everywhere.

Nothing wrong with a little Spirit Cooking to lighten the mood.
X

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2017, 05:59:34 PM »

And whatever is lacking in penalties is more than made up for in reviews and commercials.
K

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2017, 06:05:23 PM »
And whatever is lacking in penalties is more than made up for in reviews and commercials.

So, there are pretty much commercials after every whistle?  ??? ??? ???
X

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2017, 06:06:11 PM »
So, there are pretty much commercials after every whistle?  ??? ??? ???

It's bad enough during the regular season, but it gets worse as the playoffs progress and is almost comical during the actual Super Bowl.
K

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2017, 06:07:12 PM »
Nothing wrong with a little Spirit Cooking to lighten the mood.
I hear Aldi has amazing deals.  ;)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2017, 06:15:55 PM »
It's bad enough during the regular season, but it gets worse as the playoffs progress and is almost comical during the actual Super Bowl.

I watched the last Super Bowl and it was pretty bad. Yet, people seem to LOVE the commercials--they get all excited about NEW commercials. I find them annoying. Why should I care if a commercial is funny or witty?  ??? ???
X

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2017, 06:17:09 PM »
I watched the last Super Bowl and it was pretty bad. Yet, people seem to LOVE the commercials--they get all excited about NEW commercials. I find them annoying. Why should I care if a commercial is funny or witty?  ??? ???

They get leaked on YouTube a week beforehand now.

Really, absolutely no reason to waste 3+ hours of life on that garbage.
a

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2017, 07:05:11 PM »

Even when I followed football more closely, I always felt that Divisional Playoffs weekend was the peak...the conference title games and super bowl so often proved anticlimactic.
K

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2017, 07:07:09 PM »
Even when I followed football more closely, I always felt that Divisional Playoffs weekend was the peak...the conference title games and super bowl so often proved anticlimactic.

Like the horribly boring superbowl last year. Talk about a snoozefest.
X

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2017, 07:07:25 PM »

Most companies know they can get more views online and for free just by claiming to be "The Big Game" commercial since they aren't allowed to say Super Bowl

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2017, 07:09:40 PM »
Nobody is taking the bait....  ;D

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2017, 07:56:29 PM »
That's 3.6million a year. That makes me think they'd be at zero after 9 months. ???

Yup, 3.5 million subscribers lost yearly is the average for the past five years or so.  They're currently at 88-89 million subscribers according to Nielsen data:
http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-loses-621-000-subscribers-worst-month-in-company-history-102916

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2017, 09:17:42 PM »
Aren't NFL ratings down pretty big as well? Personally, I'm sick of watching the refs controlling the fate of a lot of these games with their subjective calls. Goodell sucks and ESPN sucks, so I hope the ratings keep nosediving

The amount of commercials the NFL throws at the viewer just kills the whole experience of watching a football game on TV. Greedy fucking bastards and its a huge reason people are tuning out imop. And the fact that over half the games are almost unwatchable even for the extreme football fan. Thursday night Football is like watching paint dry with the match ups this year. Just Brutal. Also the whole WAR on the white man that the NFL/ESPN is helping try to push is just out of control when 70% of your viewers are white. ESPN tries to make just about every white man seem like a cuck at every opportunity. ESPN couldn't get enough of deflategate trying to bring down the GOAT quarterback as they try to elevate the retarded Afro mediocre players.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2017, 09:36:33 PM »
Yup, 3.5 million subscribers lost yearly is the average for the past five years or so.  They're currently at 88-89 million subscribers according to Nielsen data:
http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-loses-621-000-subscribers-worst-month-in-company-history-102916

I thought us population was like 300 somerhing million... So 1/3 or is houses are subscribed to ESPN?

I haven't bothered with cable or subscriptions for years.