Author Topic: Biggest supplement scam you were taken by...  (Read 9202 times)

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
Re: Biggest supplement scam you were taken by...
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2017, 03:05:59 AM »
met-rx ads was 'slightly' exaggerated  :D

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2017, 03:10:57 AM »
I was visiting a friend in NYC when I first heard of Cybergenics.  We took a trip to NJ to buy the product, because it warned that steroid-like gains were not possible in NY.
K

rocco-x

• Getbig III
  • when all else fails just blame it on the "man"
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2017, 04:17:25 AM »
EAS stuff. HMB was stupid expensive when it came out.

You had Bill and Shawn Phillips juiced to the gills doing photo shoots and living like kings....so naive.
yeah from about 94 all I'd buy was eas products especially hmb and creatine. I was so brainwashed if I had less than 2 bottles of grape juice in my fridge I'd freak out cause that's what they said you HAD to take the creatine with lmao!

I had the money for the top gear at that time but chose to go "natural"...but I did get hold of those oxitosonas from Syntex at times.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2017, 04:25:46 AM »
met-rx ads was 'slightly' exaggerated  :D

Out of all the bogus sups every created, MetRx was the first one with a mass ad campaign.  I would say it made the most money... more than Muscletech.  It was just simple milk protein and very expensive.

The ads were totally deceptive, but they were convincing and very well written.  I remember some of the BS claims very clearly...  

Jeff Everson said:  "If it walks like a duck... it must be a duck".  

Dr. Scott Connelly called MetRx: "Anti-catabolic" and he also said: "They feed it to burn patients".  

Phillips said: "One of the ingredients costs $1500 a kilo".  That ingredient was ASPARTAME!  At that time it was still under patent and very expensive.  Bill made people believe it was some secret muscle building ingredient.

Shit like this is what made these guys a fortune.... and it was ALL nonsense.

kreator

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2017, 05:22:02 AM »
3 of us bought one big tub of celltech because it was so expensive but we were so eager to give it a try because muscletech was really pushing it in the mags 15 years ago

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2017, 05:30:36 AM »
Cool story but GNC didn't pay Promotional Money, as they called it, for selling Cybergenics. You would have had to sell the GNC house brand Pro Performance bodybuilding kit to get the extra money.

Are you saying Howard is flat out lying?  Why would he do that?  What kind of weirdo would make up obvious lies about working at GNC and selling Cybergenics or about having a picture with Franco?

Or are you saying Howard is just simply delusional?

thebigman

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2017, 06:30:23 AM »
I bought a few of these back in the day:

http://www.naturalmatter.com/mx-testok.htm

'the strongest Bulgarian Tribulus Terrestris in existence, with a 68% protodioscin level, the part that has shown to be anabolic and is responsible for increasing muscle size, Testosterone boosting and strength'

'subjects were shown to have gained 5lb in lean muscle and add 18lb to their bench press in just 6-10 weeks'

'ZMATM was used in 28 clinical studies and was proven to increase Testosterone by 43.7%, strength by 7% and IGF-1 by a whopping 25.1% over the placebo group!'

::)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2017, 06:56:55 AM »
Out of all the bogus sups every created, MetRx was the first one with a mass ad campaign.  I would say it made the most money... more than Muscletech.  It was just simple milk protein and very expensive.

The ads were totally deceptive, but they were convincing and very well written.  I remember some of the BS claims very clearly...  

Jeff Everson said:  "If it walks like a duck... it must be a duck".  

Dr. Scott Connelly called MetRx: "Anti-catabolic" and he also said: "They feed it to burn patients".  

Phillips said: "One of the ingredients costs $1500 a kilo".  That ingredient was ASPARTAME!  At that time it was still under patent and very expensive.  Bill made people believe it was some secret muscle building ingredient.

Shit like this is what made these guys a fortune.... and it was ALL nonsense.
everson sang metrx praises pretty well..he was in ads with labrada,stoney lee grimes,milos,coleman later on ..when they expanded there products to pizza's it was then 'jumping the shark'

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2017, 07:34:53 AM »
Hell ya! No regrets!

I think you mean No Regerts!

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2017, 07:47:06 AM »
Every supplement that I ever took was a scam.  Thankfully I'm not mentally retarded so it didn't take me long to figure that out.

That shit was a huge wast of money and probably dangerous too.

The Funky White Ghost

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2017, 08:22:40 AM »
Are you saying Howard is flat out lying?  Why would he do that?  What kind of weirdo would make up obvious lies about working at GNC and selling Cybergenics or about having a picture with Franco?

Or are you saying Howard is just simply delusional?
I'm saying I worked at GNC at the time he's referring to and the pay structure was an hourly wage plus "promotional money" for selling the house brands which were Challenge and Pro Performance. There was no monetary incentive to sell Cybergenics, the incentive was to switch customers onto GNC's brands which in that case was the Pro Performance bodybuilding kit, a Cybergenics knock off. Not saying he's lying. Possibly mistaken?

Elvis_McCartney

• Getbig II
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2017, 08:50:44 AM »
After years of wasting a lot of money on supplements I can tell you that they are a waste of money they dont build muscle, spend your money on a healthy diet with nutrient dense foods like salmon, sweet potatoes, kale, berries, almonds etc, if you are not satisfied with your natural build after this then start out with 500mg of test to add more muscle then if you want to keep getting bigger just simply add more anabolics.

The Absolute TRUTH, LOL.

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2017, 09:11:14 AM »
i have to admit pre workouts do get me amped  m1's pre workout is pretty powerfull shit

SquatsRule

• Getbig IV
  • I am "teh sexy"
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2017, 09:25:11 AM »
tribulus and acetabolin.
S

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2017, 09:39:26 AM »
Don't forget Gamma Oryzanol.

I was about to post this

from the hulls of rice or some shit
"

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2017, 09:45:14 AM »
I was about to post this

from the hulls of rice or some shit
could u imagine ,,'what are you on??me,,the 'hulls of rice'

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2017, 09:56:32 AM »
By far the worst was mixing baking soda with creatine a drop of vinegar to make it bubbly.  Bill Philips claim that the body would absorb it better.  Of course HMB.  Yeah HMB might work if you take  full bottle everyday...

SquatsRule

• Getbig IV
  • I am "teh sexy"
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2017, 11:12:22 AM »
By far the worst was mixing baking soda with creatine a drop of vinegar to make it bubbly.  Bill Philips claim that the body would absorb it better.  Of course HMB.  Yeah HMB might work if you take  full bottle everyday...

I never did the baking soda method. I used to mix the original powder with grape juice. That crap was nasty.
S

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2017, 01:17:44 PM »
Everything on T nation.

K A N N I B A L

• Getbig II
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2017, 02:14:02 PM »
Everything on T nation.

...the "Anaconda" protocol  ::)

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2017, 02:33:23 PM »
Cool story but GNC didn't pay Promotional Money, as they called it, for selling Cybergenics. You would have had to sell the GNC house brand Pro Performance bodybuilding kit to get the extra money.

Depended on how the store was owned.
Corporate owned stores only gave sales commission  on the GNC house brands .
I got a straight 5% on everything I sold because I worked for a privately owned franchise in Ohio.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2017, 02:40:39 PM »
yeah from about 94 all I'd buy was eas products especially hmb and creatine. I was so brainwashed if I had less than 2 bottles of grape juice in my fridge I'd freak out cause that's what they said you HAD to take the creatine with lmao!

I had the money for the top gear at that time but chose to go "natural"...but I did get hold of those oxitosonas from Syntex at times.

I did the same stuff and by working for GNC , I managed to get my supps at a reduced cost.
Like you, I took pride in being natural , avoiding drugs and using natural  supps LOL.
No, I didn't take drugs, but I took so many natural supps, I damn near rattled from all the pills.

Hard to think we actually lived like that then huh? ;D
Looking back it seems silly, but, I was proud to be a bodybuilder.
Not sure why, but bodybuilding felt more important then??????????????

The Funky White Ghost

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2017, 03:29:14 PM »
Depended on how the store was owned.
Corporate owned stores only gave sales commission  on the GNC house brands .
I got a straight 5% on everything I sold because I worked for a privately owned franchise in Ohio.
::)

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2017, 08:07:19 PM »
ALL OF THEM.

Although Hotstuff helped put a 1/2 inch on my arm in one week. 14 workouts in 7 days.  ;D

(My arms were like 11 inches at the time  :-\ )

Desolate

• Getbig V
  • I dream of Gods
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2017, 08:37:45 PM »
I still do take vitamins and minerals.

I use protein powder.

Not much creatine anymore.