Author Topic: Remember The Old Red X?  (Read 5424 times)

Fallsview

• Getbig V
  • Mr. Gulf Coast 1994,95,99
Remember The Old Red X?
« on: January 21, 2017, 06:48:08 PM »
I have to laugh, I was sitting around thinking about how the WWF used to use a red x on the TV screen labeled "Censored" whenever there was blood in a match. I remember Blackjack Mulligan applying the claw and the blood started gushing out of the forehead of some jobber and then the X appeared. God...that was pretty lame at the time but also kept a young audience very intrigued.

STAY POSITIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Remember The Old Red X?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 12:57:22 PM »
YES!!

I recall Ron Bass working an angle with Beefcake. Bass busted Beefcake opened with a knuckleduster, Brutus got color, and WWF replayed the footage with the dreaded "X" and sometimes also in black and white.

Cheesy, but effective to a degree.

Even as a kid, though, I knew why they did it, but I never understood why because I had a PWI from a couple of years earlier with Dusty Rhodes covered in blood on the cover.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 06:09:47 AM »
I got a bunch of old mags from a guy up the road one time that were full of Abdullah, Shiek, Dusty, Road Warrior victims, Flair, etc...   all busted up and bleeding gallons.  I couldn't understand why tv wouldn't show blood on wrestling but the magazines would.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 12:36:03 PM »
WWWF used to put a masking tape "X" over the lens when "The Wolfman" used to come out in chains... Funny...

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 10:42:05 AM »
I have to laugh, I was sitting around thinking about how the WWF used to use a red x on the TV screen labeled "Censored" whenever there was blood in a match. I remember Blackjack Mulligan applying the claw and the blood started gushing out of the forehead of some jobber and then the X appeared. God...that was pretty lame at the time but also kept a young audience very intrigued.

STAY POSITIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Stan Hansen had a few of these infamous red X's in many of his blood filled matches back in the day too.