Author Topic: Bench Press study: Higher the weight, the less will be lifted by your pecs?  (Read 5562 times)

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
Re: Bench Press study: Higher the weight, the less will be lifted by your pecs?
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2017, 03:47:46 AM »

High Rep Push-ups of Peace
a

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2017, 04:19:59 AM »
Serge Nubret:
[/youtube]

Sergio Oliva:

For every half reps pro bber do there's also many who do full reps like Arnold, levrone, Franco, and so on

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2017, 05:19:32 AM »
For every half reps pro bber do there's also many who do full reps like Arnold, levrone, Franco, and so on
Ronnie half repped his chest to 8 Mr. Os and a wheel chair. Levrone had huge tris and a decent chest, could it be that his big benches were the result of those triceps? And Franco had short arms. Arnold knew how to pose. But, yeah, you are correct.

Is Arnold half repping here or is that a 3/4 rep?
[/youtube]

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2017, 06:02:59 AM »
I guess they mean at heavier weights the triceps and delts come more into play, at lower or medium weights you can perhaps focus on having the pecs working more.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2017, 04:07:39 PM »
This article is a typical bullshittery you'll find in every fitness magazine.

Bench press is a complex movement - everyone has different technique, muscle attachment, tendons strength, mind control, etc. It's laughable to read how "scientists" have tested 12 people and now they have data accurate to a percent.

See? That's how you write for meatheads. Scientists and SMART system. ::)

Hardly an "article" from a "fitness magazine". It was published in the Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 

"By combining IEMG and camera techniques in a multimodular measuring system SMART, the scientists were also able to record the muscle activity and track the exact path of the barbell in the twenty healthy, male recreational weight trainers with at least 1 year of lifting experience (the mean +/- SD = 3.3 +/- 1.6 years) who were recruited for their study."

Now if you dismiss the scientific method on principle and prefer the "Weider Principles" and the opinions of meat heads (as you put it) then that is your prerogative. If you know of a better way to measure muscle activity under resistance then I would like to hear it.

Henryk Król, and Artur Golas, who designed this experiment, have nothing to gain or lose in regard as to how people preform a bench press. They are not selling magazines or supplements or any specific training methodology.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2017, 04:13:18 PM »
Sorry to upset you. I'm barely on getbig and haven't been really active for years. I was just browsing at work and wanted to know if your study was worth my time or not. Thanks for the Winona Rider update.

I was a bit touchy. I mistakenly put you into the group that are on this board day and night and seem to have no life outside this board and just post frivolity yet don't have a second to spare for actual bbing/resistance training information.

We're good.

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2017, 04:21:19 PM »
Ronnie half repped his chest to 8 Mr. Os and a wheel chair. Levrone had huge tris and a decent chest, could it be that his big benches were the result of those triceps? And Franco had short arms. Arnold knew how to pose. But, yeah, you are correct.

[/youtube]

;D

Arnold did bench with full reps, only on flyes to he stated

But it doesn't matter if u got the genetics to grow chest, Phil still has a shitty chest by standards of development and he half reps everything

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2017, 04:25:11 PM »

Actually, I should have specified "today's" bbers. I was surprised to see that Serge and Sergio did partials. In those days it was always suppose to be all the down and all the way up. That's why I was so shocked to see Lou in PI not only doing partials but just throwing the weights up and down.

Sometimes I wonder if all of this form, technique, mind/muscle connection is just all like pissing in the ocean. It makes little difference in the real world. You're either born to be jacked or not.

I remember those days when we would have to clean the bar first before doing shoulder presses.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2017, 08:40:18 PM »

[/youtube]

Arnold is really squeezing his chest during his benching/incline movements. I'd say Arnold's are a little over 3/4 with a lot of squeeze thru the movement.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2017, 09:30:15 PM »
A good technique for quite a few exercises is to do one full rep,followed by one half rep and so on.........each one and a half rep,counts as one rep........brutal.

Works great on Smith Inclines ,Leg Curls,and preachers just to name a few.

Lots more TUT.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2017, 11:53:43 PM »
for those who compete in the bp and use bench shirts its almost all tris

bench to neck is one of the best pec builders