Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 422041 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #450 on: April 11, 2019, 07:31:20 PM »
Cardio day: 8 x quarter miles (400 meters or 440 yards)

My fastest was 8.9 MPH or 6:44 pace.

Felt great for once. Felt like I was clicking on all cylinders.  My goal is to hit the eight quarter mile at 10 MPH (6:00 minute mile pace) eventually. I really believe intervals are one of the quickest ways to get into shape.  I finished hitting the heavy bag as usual.

Tomorrow is delt and arms.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #451 on: April 11, 2019, 07:35:41 PM »
X2,,FAIR LIFE PRODUCTS ARE THE BEST ...I USED THEM ,,ORGANIC VALLEY MAKES A GOOD ONE TO BUT 4 BOTTLES ARE 12.99 FOR 4 THATS STEEP ,,I USE ORGANIC PEA PROTEIN AND RICE PROTEIN POWDER MY STOMACH IS GREAT TOO WITH THATS BRAND..I CAN DRINK READY MADE LIKE MUSCLE MILB ,DID U EVER SEE THE INGREDIANTS AFTER THE PROTEIN BLEND PORTION ITS A CONUNDRUM OF JUNK AFTER THAT...ONE I USE POWDER 4 THINGS THATS IT..

I was using Orgain vegetable protein for awhile. I think it's pea, rice and maybe hemp. My stomach did good on that but I still had some stomach issues with it.  I think Fair Life might be the only true lactose free milk based protein. Like I wrote before I can drink it and have zero issues of any kind with it. This is coming from a guy who in his "old" age became super sensitive to all milk products.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #452 on: April 12, 2019, 11:56:34 AM »
Delts and arms:

Clean and military press 3 x 5 135lbs (watched a guy doing military presses with 155lbs in the smith machine. Never lowered the weight past his nose and many reps were just to the top of his head. Bodybuilding is full of delusional insecure clowns. He couldn't use 95lbs if he came all the way down.)
dumbbell delt laterals 2 x 10 30lbs
Single arm delt laterals 2 x 10 40lbs
Rear delt machine 2 x 10 90lbs
Barbell shrugs 2 x 10 250lbs ( I could go a lot heavier but it's such a short movement I don't want to short stroke it.)

Weighted dips 2 x 8 25lbs ( dug deep but feel weak from not doing them for awhile)
Traditional tricep pushdowns 2 x 13
Reverse grip single arm tricep extensions 2 x 12 40lbs

Dumbbell alternate curl 2 x 8 45lbs ( Just saw a video of bodybuilding star Richard Baldwin who has amazing arms.  He never does a full range of motion with his curls from the video I saw.  I guess genetics and drugs rules. Hammer curls are short stroked and everything else. )
scott barbell curls 2 x 10
concentration curls 2 x 12

forearm curls 2 x 25 95lbs
reverse pulley curls 2 x 10
wrist dumbbell extensions 2 x 15

Ab coaster 1 x 40 60lbs
ab crunch machine 2 x 20 110lbs

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #453 on: April 13, 2019, 08:18:47 PM »
Getting sick of the commercial gym. Just don't like some of the people in the gym. I try to keep to myself and I'm friendly with many but I guess in the end some people annoy the crap out of me. Many people just go to the gym to hang out. Once they get your ear they think you're there for their entertainment. I have been know to cut off people mid sentence. When I lift at home I like the solitude. I get into the zone. One negative for home training is being by myself I sometimes take too long between sets. The positive at the gym is that it really gets my adrenaline up being among other lifters. Also I can do some stuff there I can't do at home like chest cable cross overs and things like Hammer pulldowns.

Told my wife about it. She said do a week at home and a week there. Just might work.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #454 on: April 14, 2019, 11:46:53 AM »
I have the opposite problem...I tend to train too fast!

So, I time my sets with one of these:

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #455 on: April 15, 2019, 11:21:48 AM »
Back and chest:

Pulldowns with a M.A.G. bar 2 x 10
Seated lat pulley row with a narrow V handle 2 x 12 170lbs
Seated dumbbell row off a bench 2 x10 85lbs
Hammer pulldowns 2 x 10

Hammer incline press 2 x 8 (went up to three plates a side)
Incline Dumbbell press 2 x 8
Dumbbell flies 2 x 10
Cable flies 2 x 10

Dead lifts 2 x 4 315lbs
Weighted hypers 2 x 15 25lbs plate behind my head

Ab wheel roll out 2 x 23
Ab machine crunch 2x 25 120lbs

Weight used is meaningless when describing a workout. We all know the majority of trainers cheat every exercise usually by short stroking the movement so they can use a weight they couldn't handle if they did a full range of motion.  Also from machine to machine has different leverages and pulley systems. For example in my home gym I have two standing calf machines. One I use 300lbs plus of plates. The other one is heavy with 155lbs.  The commercial gym I go to when I put the pin in 180lbs and it seems heavy. Three different standing calf machines and I use drastically different weights on the three respective machines. One more example is the leg extension. My home unit is hard with 80lbs of plates.  The commercial gym I put the pin in where it says 150lbs pounds.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #456 on: April 16, 2019, 10:22:20 AM »
Cardio day: 8 x quarter miles. Fastest one in 9 MPH or 6:40 Pace. Can't believe how heavy I am. I'm 188 at 5'8".  Way too heavy for me.  Ate fairly well yesterday. Hope to continue today. I don't know if I have the diet discipline but I sure would like to be around 175lbs.   

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #457 on: April 16, 2019, 11:56:03 AM »
Cardio day: 8 x quarter miles. Fastest one in 9 MPH or 6:40 Pace. Can't believe how heavy I am. I'm 188 at 5'8".  Way too heavy for me.  Ate fairly well yesterday. Hope to continue today. I don't know if I have the diet discipline but I sure would like to be around 175lbs.   

Well, do you look fat?  Have your wife take a pic of you in shorts and see how you look.

I saw a pic of myself on the beach a year or two ago and I was pretty muscular but also had a bloated gut.

I did drop about 20lbs. but I've gained back 5-10.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #458 on: April 16, 2019, 07:09:50 PM »
Well, do you look fat?  Have your wife take a pic of you in shorts and see how you look.

I saw a pic of myself on the beach a year or two ago and I was pretty muscular but also had a bloated gut.

I did drop about 20lbs. but I've gained back 5-10.

I guess I have high expectations of myself. No, I don't look fat. Since I don't do drugs and my training is a complete mixture of different modalities I can't call myself a bodybuilder either. I split my time between lifting, running, walking and striking training. I did put up a picture in the beginning of this training log. Maybe page 2 or 3. I'm in better shape than that now. I would put up a picture but on this site someone would soon photo shop it. Of course being natural I can't compare to someone using drugs or those that lie about not using drugs. If  I could lose 10lbs to 15lbs it would be all I could expect at my age and being 100% natural without even testosterone replacement therapy.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #459 on: April 16, 2019, 07:41:14 PM »
Getting sick of the commercial gym. Just don't like some of the people in the gym. I try to keep to myself and I'm friendly with many but I guess in the end some people annoy the crap out of me. Many people just go to the gym to hang out. Once they get your ear they think you're there for their entertainment. I have been know to cut off people mid sentence. When I lift at home I like the solitude. I get into the zone. One negative for home training is being by myself I sometimes take too long between sets. The positive at the gym is that it really gets my adrenaline up being among other lifters. Also I can do some stuff there I can't do at home like chest cable cross overs and things like Hammer pulldowns.

Told my wife about it. She said do a week at home and a week there. Just might work.

You've previously dealt with this issue, if I remember correctly. Take your smart wife's advice. Obviously, she knows you well. Changing one's routine can be motivating.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #460 on: April 17, 2019, 03:11:14 AM »
If you don't look fat then no need to drop weight.

Did you start this thread in 2017?  That's as far back as it goes.

Best not to post pics.  Fodder for the mentally ill here.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #461 on: April 17, 2019, 04:26:32 AM »
If you don't look fat then no need to drop weight.

Did you start this thread in 2017?  That's as far back as it goes.

Best not to post pics.  Fodder for the mentally ill here.

Time flies. Thought it was a year ago. So two years ago.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #462 on: April 17, 2019, 04:24:35 PM »
Trained legs today. I threw in one of those sissy squat benches exercises. After doing 8 reps after squats and hacks it felt like a really bad movement. Very unnatural.  Maybe I should have done a couple of sets and maybe I would have got into a grove. I won't be doing them again.

I did my squats, hacks, kick back machine, leg extensions, and lying leg curls.  After thighs I did my now usual 55 reps of no weight body weight deep squats. I really believe in the gold of this movement.  I actually think a person could have an excellent leg routine using no weight.

I would use something like this.
1. no weight body weight squats
2. Lunge position jumps for height switching legs each jump.
3. no weight body weight one leg stiff leg dead lift
4. walking no weight lunges

5. single leg bodyweight calf raise with knee locked. Seen guys who use a big weight in the standing calf machine struggle to get 15 reps with this.
6. finish with two leg bodyweight calf raise.

I think of Wilf Sylvester winning the short Mr. Universe in 1975 only using body weight squats, leg extensions and leg curls. Previously he used the typical barbell squat, hack machine, leg extensions and leg curls. He said his new system gave him cut up thighs.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #463 on: April 18, 2019, 09:56:09 AM »
Ran one mile. Wasn't feeling it. Decided to do 80 yard sprints after. On the last one I pulled my calf.  Well this sucks. I blame making my calf stiff with calf work the day before.  Beginning to think for me at this stage I might give up traditional weight lifting calf work. I have a history of calf pulls and foot problems. All seem to point to calf work in the weight room as the precedent for the injury.  The Achilles is a spring tendon. I really believe it has gives and stores energy. Over stretching the tendon under load for me leaves it tight and inflexible for athletics. I remember Ben Johnson's coach leaving calf work out of the weight room workouts in one article I read. I wonder if it was for the same reason?

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #464 on: April 18, 2019, 07:42:32 PM »
Three warmup sets of DB laterals for delts supersetted with the rear delt machine for my shoulders then the fourth sets were the working ones. Then on to arms.

Doing barbell or dumbbell curls has gotten painful of late so today I just did DB Hammer curls but no supination.  Just Hammer curls. No pain and a good pump.  Three warmups and one working set. 

Then I did the same thing with the Smith Machine and JM Presses.  I finished up with hanging DB wrist curls.  They allow me to use a good weight and they don't hurt.   Three warmup and one working set.  Now I will rest two or three days and start over with back and chest.

Fun times indeed.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #465 on: April 19, 2019, 03:53:31 AM »
Three warmup sets of DB laterals for delts supersetted with the rear delt machine for my shoulders then the fourth sets were the working ones. Then on to arms.

Doing barbell or dumbbell curls has gotten painful of late so today I just did DB Hammer curls but no supination.  Just Hammer curls. No pain and a good pump.  Three warmups and one working set. 

Then I did the same thing with the Smith Machine and JM Presses.  I finished up with hanging DB wrist curls.  They allow me to use a good weight and they don't hurt.   Three warmup and one working set.  Now I will rest two or three days and start over with back and chest.

Fun times indeed.

No supination?

Your chances of 20 inch arms just went out the window.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #466 on: April 19, 2019, 04:54:57 AM »
No supination?

Your chances of 20 inch arms just went out the window.

;D Yup.  ;D  If only there existed somewhere a mad genius who could invent a supinator machine... ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #467 on: April 19, 2019, 05:04:39 AM »

Fun times indeed.

I didn't feel like this in my youth but with age comes wisdom. If a movement hurts don't do it even it was effective in the past.

I don't bench but foolishly try every couple of months. I was never a big bencher anyway but after my work sets and completely warmed up and shot I would try a single. Every work out I would get 275lb to 285lbs. at 180lbs. Now my shoulders makes me scream if I do a couple of sets of benches. I have a torn labrum but the shoulder works with other movements so fuck the bench.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #468 on: April 19, 2019, 05:09:18 AM »
I didn't feel like this in my youth but with age comes wisdom. If a movement hurts don't do it even it was effective in the past.

I don't bench but foolishly try every couple of months. I was never a big bencher anyway but after my work sets and completely warmed up and shot I would try a single. Every work out I would get 275lb to 285lbs. at 180lbs. Now my shoulders makes me scream if I do a couple of sets of benches. I have a torn labrum but the shoulder works with other movements so fuck the bench.

Well said, brother.  If I bench, I must use lighter weights and stick to higher reps of twenty or so.  Mostly it is cable crossovers for me and the occasional DB fly. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #469 on: April 19, 2019, 10:02:30 AM »
Delt and arms today: Some observations.

Gym was packed. I should have trained at home. New faces in the gym. I guess night time trainers. A lot of buddy training going on. I haven't trained with anyone in many decades. I think it would drive me crazy. I like to do what I want to do.  It seems these teams have pow wows what exercise to do next. If it works for them it's a good thing.

The gym was so packed I had to do exercises not in my rotation. For example at some point in biceps I do scott barbell curls but two guys were hovering over it. Instead I used the curl machine. Forgot how good that machine was. Worked great.

Saw a new free lance personal trainer I never saw before. I can't believe people pay someone to count their reps for them thinking the trainer has some guru type secret knowledge. I was better built than him and he looked about 30 years old. The owner of the gym said I could personal train there as long as I gave him half my take from the clients. Didn't sound like a good deal so I never pursued it. I wish I could be covered by my home owners to train people in my basement. That would be ideal. I have everything to train someone but liability issues stop me. Not zoned for commercial and I doubt homeowners would cover me in a law suit in a commercial enterprise in my house. Personal trainer insurance isn't enough when someone is trying for a mint in court.

I put up a youtube of a MMA fighter who had interesting views on training for MMA. It closely followed the volume vs intensity debate. He clearly followed the volume school of thought and even sounded like Bill Pearl on the matter. He basic view was train hard but not too intensely so you can have more volume which in the end will do you more good than limited training. He gives examples of that in the fight game. He said intensity is important but not for an every day training protocol. It was refreshing to hear his views.

When I was a sprinter in college I thought I could beat other guys by having a better work ethic. Of course innate ability rules. Yes it helped tremendously but also led to burn out and some bad peaking. One guy in particular that I remember appeared to be the laziest trainer. Then I thought he is relying on his God giving innate talent. He would train hard then appear for another training day and completely dog it. I would think back then damn is this guy a slacker.  Maybe he knew how to listen to his body and I was the fool hammering it every single day on the track/weight room.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #470 on: April 19, 2019, 11:29:12 AM »
There is nothing new with his volume/intensity ideas.

Intensity is generally defined as % of max.

Volume and intensity vary inversely.

Greater volume requires less intensity and vice-versa.

You can train volume or intensity but not both without burnout.  

Drugs obviously change this equation allowing faster recovery.  Weights would be higher also but % used would not differ.

Prilepin's Table is book and verse on this.

While Prilepin's research was with Olympic lifting it's principles apply to powerlifting as well as bodybuilding.

https://www.powerliftingwatch.com/files/prelipins.pdf

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #471 on: April 19, 2019, 11:41:51 AM »
There is nothing new with his volume/intensity ideas.

Intensity is generally defined as % of max.

Volume and intensity vary inversely.

Greater volume requires less intensity and vice-versa.

You can train volume or intensity but not both without burnout.  

Drugs obviously change this equation allowing faster recovery.  Weights would be higher also but % used would not differ.

Prilepin's Table is book and verse on this.

While Prilepin's research was with Olympic lifting it's principles apply to powerlifting as well as bodybuilding.

https://www.powerliftingwatch.com/files/prelipins.pdf

I keep thinking about what Jeff Everson wrote. You don't have to be a scientist to be a good bodybuilder. It was a great article. He basically said we have training theories based on empirical knowledge passed down. He said there are no training facts for optimal training. If we did everyone would be on the same split doing the same exercise using the same reps and sets. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #472 on: April 19, 2019, 12:09:58 PM »
I keep thinking about what Jeff Everson wrote. You don't have to be a scientist to be a good bodybuilder. It was a great article. He basically said we have training theories based on empirical knowledge passed down. He said there are no training facts for optimal training. If we did everyone would be on the same split doing the same exercise using the same reps and sets.  

True.

Train, recover, repeat.

Increase intensity over time.

What is intensity?

Intensity is not just % max either although in strength training it's generally defined as such.

Intensity in running is a combination of speed, distance, and time.  Could even have load in there if you carried weights while running.

It all comes down to your own recovery abilities and your goals in training.  Too many goals or conflicting goals will prevent progress.

You can't be successful marathon runner and a successful powerlifter or bodybuilder for example.  They conflict and you won't reach your potential in either.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #473 on: April 19, 2019, 03:41:32 PM »
True.

Train, recover, repeat.

Increase intensity over time.

What is intensity?

Intensity is not just % max either although in strength training it's generally defined as such.

Intensity in running is a combination of speed, distance, and time.  Could even have load in there if you carried weights while running.

It all comes down to your own recovery abilities and your goals in training.  Too many goals or conflicting goals will prevent progress.

You can't be successful marathon runner and a successful powerlifter or bodybuilder for example.  They conflict and you won't reach your potential in either.

I can't help but think of the way distance runners train how maybe we can learn something from them in the weight room. They train most of the year doing distance runs. Many are LSD (long slow distance).  It's all about getting the miles in. Don't get me wrong it's not easy training but isn't ragged to the death training either. As they get closer to the season they start including interval training to turn that acquired gas tank into speed. Instead of heading out for super long runs they save their long run for one day a week. Their distance runs turn into 5 say 5 to 10 miles instead of 15 mile plus runs.  Their intervals might start as sets of two mile repeats. Closer to season it becomes sets of half miles and quarter miles.

Maybe in lifting it might be a good idea to use volume and taper to low sets increasing the intensity vs the volume. Some trainers accomplish this with using high reps then reducing. Maybe using something likes sets of 12 to 15. Then taper for the next cycle  to 6 to 10 reps. 

Then again this isn't rocket science. It's picking stuff up and putting it down then look in the mirror to see if it's working. LOL.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #474 on: April 20, 2019, 07:52:12 PM »
Did jack today. I went to work and came home doing nothing. Went to a real high class Italian restaurant. Ate like a king with my wife. Came home feeling great. Went into the back yard and made a fire. Played Sinatra, Martin, Buble' and Louie Prima from a nice quality Bose speaker. The sky was amazing. Broke out some quality Tequila. Sure I even danced a little but my memory is slightly faded as I type this in bed. Haven't had a fire in awhile. We use to make it a regular thing in the winter. Amazing being in the dark having a cocktail by the dancing flames.  Soon summer will come and that will be abandoned. Floating in the pool will be the center of the summer. Sometimes the little things in life are truly what's life is all about. It's not the  hall marks. It's sitting in the dark having a drink with the girl you love as your knuckle head dog explores the yard. It's having your daughter come over with her daughter puts everything in life into perspective. At the end of your life if you have one person that mourns your loss you have lived the life that can't be improved on.