Author Topic: Training for decades,are you still re-inventing the wheel in the gym?  (Read 21228 times)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Re: Training for decades,are you still re-inventing the wheel in the gym?
« Reply #175 on: May 17, 2017, 09:30:03 PM »
I consider Larry Scott and Vince Gironda the two best exercise technicians we have seen. Both knew the body well and how to do the best exercises.

Larry is particularly interesting because he was an ordinary kid with narrow shoulders and became Mr Olympia. Maybe he couldn't do it today but in

the sixties he was amazing....especially those well proportioned arms.

Larry had to invent methods to keep his large muscles growing. He used various techniques and equipment and had very painful protocols.

Up and down the rack for shoulders and biceps.

Well, I can recommend a variation on the calf machine guaranteed to generate DOMS in most of you guys....even Adonis!

Use a standing calf machine. Start with 100 pounds for 5 reps, then add 10 pounds and do another 5 reps. No rest, just change the pin.

Keep adding 10 pounds until you can't do 5 reps. Then rest for about 15 seconds and do the maximum you got to but try to get 10 reps.

Then reduce 10 pounds and do another 5 and so on until you are down to 100 pounds. Very painful and just one giant set.

I recall a young couple wanting me to train them. I assumed they had done calf work before. So I gave them one long up and down on the

machine. The woman was so sore the next day she couldn't walk. The next day her husband had to carry her to the car then to her work!

So beware of doing this protocol. Naturally, once you are used to it you can try 2 sets up and down.