Author Topic: California Pizza Huts lay off all delivery drivers ahead of minimum wage hike  (Read 598 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/california-pizza-huts-lay-off-234021911.html

Pizza Hut is laying off more than 1,200 delivery drivers in California.

The layoffs, which will take place through the end of February, come as California's minimum wage is about to go up by $4. Fast-food workers in the state are set to get a pay bump of close to 30% in April as the minimum wages rises from $16 to $20 an hour.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/california-pizza-huts-lay-off-234021911.html

Pizza Hut is laying off more than 1,200 delivery drivers in California.

The layoffs, which will take place through the end of February, come as California's minimum wage is about to go up by $4. Fast-food workers in the state are set to get a pay bump of close to 30% in April as the minimum wages rises from $16 to $20 an hour.

They were going to do this anyway and a lot of other establishments as well and it has nothing to do with wage hikes.   Most people place orders with DoorDash and Grubhub and the drivers are independent contractors meaning that you don't have to pay things like health insurance, 401k, etc.   

Its the wave of the future....hourly and salary jobs are going to the wayside and being replaced by independent contractors.   Even customer service jobs are as well....getting kind of nuts these days
A

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
^^^^the Chief Economist Melvin Vinny Goodrum has spoken.
T

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden

They were going to do this anyway and a lot of other establishments as well and it has nothing to do with wage hikes.   Most people place orders with DoorDash and Grubhub and the drivers are independent contractors meaning that you don't have to pay things like health insurance, 401k, etc.   

Its the wave of the future....hourly and salary jobs are going to the wayside and being replaced by independent contractors.   Even customer service jobs are as well....getting kind of nuts these days

So, absent the minimum wage increase, those drivers would've been laid off in two months anyway?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
^^^^the Chief Economist Melvin Vinny Goodrum has spoken.

He has spoken and he is correct. Times change much as we hope most things would stay the same or better yet as they once were back in 'good old days.'

In Germany, food service staff are paid more and so tips are smaller compared to the USA. Rule of thumb is to round up the bill.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
If a job can't be made to pay enough to support a person/or family...Then that job is bad for your society...

IroNat

• Getbig V
If a job can't be made to pay enough to support a person/or family...Then that job is bad for your society...

No.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V

I can't believe a bootstraps entrepreneurial type like you will still stay on the democrat plantation. The mental gymnastics and excuses you have to make must be exhausting.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Interesting point of view. Expand on how you think that works.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit

Entry level jobs aren’t for supporting a person or a family. They’re, ready? …..entry level

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden

My first job was as a cashier at a NYC supermarket.  It paid $3.35/hour and would not have supported me, let alone any family. 

If that job paid for what you seem to be describing as a “living wage,” I would have never gotten it.  It would’ve gone only to someone who was already skilled as a cashier.

CA had a minimum wage increase some years ago, and where my wife worked, they cut hours for new employees, and full-timers went from 40 to 32 hours.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V

This is how you end up paying $100 for a pizza genius. Guess what? That ends the middle class.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Did sync pulse come back to explain how his idea would work?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
So, absent the minimum wage increase, those drivers would've been laid off in two months anyway?

Everyone is getting laid off.   Fucking companies are either shipping jobs like my old one at Verizon to India or just hiring on people as independent contractors so they don't have to pay benefits or 401k's and stuff typically afforded by a regular employee. 

They are doing that shit for practically everything
A

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!

I can't believe a bootstraps entrepreneurial type like you will still stay on the democrat plantation. The mental gymnastics and excuses you have to make must be exhausting.

What the fuck do you think happenned to my job at Verizon???   Someone out in India is doing what I'm doing.   I know from personal experience.

If it can be outsourced, it will be.....if you can hire the person as a freelance contractor, they will.   
A

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)

What the fuck do you think happenned to my job at Verizon???   Someone out in India is doing what I'm doing.   I know from personal experience.

If it can be outsourced, it will be.....if you can hire the person as a freelance contractor, they will.

I had to call a store about a pending order yesterday.  I told my wife:  watch the person answering be from India or the Philippines.  I was right.  Philippines. 

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
I had to call a store about a pending order yesterday.  I told my wife:  watch the person answering be from India or the Philippines.  I was right.  Philippines.
I cannot stand that bullshit. Avoid companies who outsource, unfortunately few and far between.
T

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. Are you inferring that only the GOP exports jobs? If so, you are stuck in the 90s politically.

So by that logic then - the party the opens the border flooding the country with low skill low wage and drag on social programs ... deserves your backing... because?

IroNat

• Getbig V
Bill Clinton got NAFTA passed.

IroNat

• Getbig V

Vince,
Have you considered moving to India?