Author Topic: Eighty-plus hour work weeks  (Read 10589 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Re: Eighty-plus hour work weeks
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2017, 05:22:22 AM »
If you NEED to work over 40 hours week, some/all of these apply to you...

1. You are earning a low hourly wage.

2. You lack special skills.

3. You are frivolous and are living way beyond your means.

4. You have a substance abuse/gambling problem.

5. You have kids/wife to support.

Or you simply want to retire somewhat comfortably without having to choose between moving in with your kids or living under a bridge.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2017, 05:35:43 AM »
Are these people really working all these hours?... of course not.  People who do this are putting themselves on the radar with some company bean counter.  Eventually their hours will be cut back or they'll be fired.
And the company bean counter is probably pulling the same amount of hours trying to find out who is "wasting" company money.

Simple Simon

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2017, 06:28:10 AM »
Or you simply want to retire somewhat comfortably without having to choose between moving in with your kids or living under a bridge.

Yes spend all the early part of your life (the best years) working as many hours as you can so you can live comfortably in your old age and die leaving it all to your ungrateful lids

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2017, 06:37:13 AM »
i worked hard labor from 7 am to 2 am the next day 5 days in a row m-f than saturday from 7 am till 6 pm, two weeks in a row on my christmas vacation from college in the early 70's on sunday i lifted weights.... i shit you not...this was well over 100 hours for the week. 2   weeks straight :o :o :o :o :o
F

Explorerspl

• Getbig III
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2017, 06:56:38 AM »
Most I ever last was 4 months doing 80+ hard warehouse labor

Would do 3 13 hour days follow by 3 16 hour days.

Right now I'm doing about 65 a week in 5 days for the past 2 months, going to keep that up for another 2 months.

Then I'm starting my own business in the afternoons(4pm-12am) and working 5am-3pm at my current job(tue-fri)and though about doing a part time job sat-sun

I'll have my mortgage paid off by 26 then I can save for early retirement by 35ish probably as cost of living after mortgage gone will be 800 a month with food/gas/all bills

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2017, 06:59:28 AM »
i collect disability so thats 0 to1 hour per week
A

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2017, 07:07:39 AM »
When I started on my current business, 16 years ago, I did that kind of hours for 6/7 years without giving a fuck. It was all about making as much as I could. Now, I still enjoy working but I can work less, have some free time and make as much if not more money than I did back then. Working paid off. At one point, the greatest luxury is time. And let's face it, 80h/week is not the same if you're blue collar or white collar.

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2017, 07:14:39 AM »
"You're fired for working too hard and collecting overtime!"

No Parker, sorry my post wasn't clear. He was never working that much. Hell no one can. He was stealing time. If he had actually been working those hours I would have given his managers a threshold. The company becomes liable if you overwork someone and the become injure or in an accident in the company vehicle. These guys work with their hands.

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2017, 07:44:38 AM »
Most I ever last was 4 months doing 80+ hard warehouse labor

Would do 3 13 hour days follow by 3 16 hour days.

Right now I'm doing about 65 a week in 5 days for the past 2 months, going to keep that up for another 2 months.

Then I'm starting my own business in the afternoons(4pm-12am) and working 5am-3pm at my current job(tue-fri)and though about doing a part time job sat-sun

I'll have my mortgage paid off by 26 then I can save for early retirement by 35ish probably as cost of living after mortgage gone will be 800 a month with food/gas/all bills

Where do you live? Do you ever get laid with that insane schedule?

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2017, 07:52:39 AM »
i collect disability so thats 0 to1 hour per week
What disability do you have?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2017, 08:07:10 AM »
Yes spend all the early part of your life (the best years) working as many hours as you can so you can live comfortably in your old age and die leaving it all to your ungrateful lids

Exactly.  It's either that or enjoy the early part of your life (the best years) goofing off, partying, spending all the money you have, then move in with your kids or live under a bridge when you're no longer able to work.   :)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2017, 08:37:53 AM »
If you NEED to work over 40 hours week, some/all of these apply to you...

1. You are earning a low hourly wage.

2. You lack special skills.

3. You are frivolous and are living way beyond your means.

4. You have a substance abuse/gambling problem.

5. You have kids/wife to support.

6. Own a business

Fixed

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2017, 08:49:39 AM »
If you're running your own business and you love what you do, I would say 80 hrs per week is pretty commonplace. If it's the hourly grind, that would be murderous, even 60 would be horrible.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2017, 08:57:57 AM »
If you're running your own business and you love what you do, I would say 80 hrs per week is pretty commonplace. If it's the hourly grind, that would be murderous, even 60 would be horrible.

Agree 100%

Evo

• Getbig IV
  • you racku disapwin!
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2017, 04:58:28 AM »

100%

I work out of hours all the time.....but I dont see it as work, I enjoy designing out problems and chronicling.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2017, 05:08:39 AM »
i dont think those who log in 70-90 hours a week are actually for example construction workers of physical labor workers doing that much work. Those are mostly jobs that "you're on the clock" . I routinely average 60-80 hours a week, but for example i might be on a 12 hour flight, need to be at the airport 3 hours before, when i land  and getby the time i either get a car or go check in my hotel, thats another 2 hours, so for example in one day i "work" 17-18 hours that day. Then you have 2-3 days of work/meetings/dinner meetings which probably run from 9am-8-9 pm, so thats another 10-11 hours a day i charge. and take into account flying back, so it easily adds up to like 70 a week.
Absolutely, traveling is a colossal waste of time. A few months ago I flew to Manila for a meeting that lasted only 90 minutes. Three days spent traveling, just time and money wasted on something that should have been done via skype.

Actually the dinners are something I now expressly tell people I will not do. So evenings are mostly my own when abroad. I rather spend time alone on my own terms than talk about work until midnight.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2017, 05:19:31 AM »
the most hours that I've worked in the last 10 years or so was about 12  8)

OLKE_TEXAS

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Muscle Radio
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2017, 02:04:44 PM »
the most hours that I've worked in the last 10 years or so was about 12  8)

Good for you brother, I applaud that.
O

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2017, 02:13:15 PM »
It's called "mess work" in USMC boot camp on Paris Island MCRD.
As a recruit you work in the chow hall from 4:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. for 1 straight week.

You do all the shit work in the kitchen for endless hours. It sucks ass and you walk around like
a 'f'n zombie after a couple days.

I've seen the basic staff on cruises working long hours doing menial tasks ( cleaning, serving, etc).
I always tip them good when I go on cruises and have to respect their work ethic.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2017, 03:40:06 PM »
Anyone ever done one? Or many? I'm thinking most who say they are clicking such hours are full of shit! What kind of quality work can be done past the tenth hour of a work day?

I did 82 hours in one week.

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2017, 12:49:13 AM »
I do 5 10-12hr shifts a week. Come home and work out, practice and then sleep.

Haven't had a day off in 14 months.

Do you have a girlfriend? A wife? Kids? Friends? Anything?

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2017, 12:51:15 AM »
I have done 70 and 80 hour weeks in the past but there was always a goal in mind. I try to invest between 30 - 50K a year, and retire early. These days I have brought down that figure to 50 hours a week. Most people I work with are content to max out their pensions, and work until they are old and grey. It just isn't my thing. I want to retire by 50.

And you are how old now? Btw, working 70 to 80 hours a week at McDonald's won't allow you to retire by 50. Try getting a real designation, working 40 hours and making 4 to 12 times the amount of money.

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2017, 01:10:11 AM »
Work is for peasants

Turning pro as a bber should be the goal

Simple Simon

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2017, 01:54:42 AM »
Work is for peasants

posing for old men in motels as a bber should be the goal