Author Topic: Eighty-plus hour work weeks  (Read 10568 times)

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
Re: Eighty-plus hour work weeks
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2017, 02:24:34 AM »
I did 7 12's for seven weeks straight, paid for 112 hours when you work 84 hours a week. I can do that easy but the hour drive to work, hour drive back and a hour at the gym 5-6 days were a bit much. I know some guys who average 104 hours a week.  :O I am sure those guys are front loading their pensions and will work like that five years straight!   :o :o
D

Below Me

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2017, 03:07:25 AM »
If you NEED to work over 40 hours week, some/all of these apply to you...

1. You are earning a low hourly wage.

2. You lack special skills.

3. You are frivolous and are living way beyond your means.

4. You have a substance abuse/gambling problem.

5. You have kids/wife to support.

Or absolutely none of the above, Work a helluva lot of hours because of a specialized skill that pays well above average and lets me retire before 60

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2017, 04:54:18 AM »
Pretty much work from when I wake up to sleep. Owning own business  :). Even taking days off i'm on the phone to staff or doing social media/accounting etc. Then again I've saved 25K a month for the past 2 years not including cash. So I take it while it's good.

Like this except without your good money.  :D

There are no hours.  It's just my life.  It's 7:54pm and just got in from repairing a roof, I need to eat, then I'm going outside to pack the truck for tomorrow.  Then I'm going to shower and go to bed.  If a job is more than 1.5 hours away, and I don't have to pick something up on the way home, I sleep on the building site.  I haven't had a day off in about 6 months.  It's fine.  It's just the expectation of 'time off' or 'having a life' that makes people use phrases like "U work too much" and "You're insane."

the_doc

• Getbig II
  • Bigger Stronger Faster
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2017, 10:53:23 AM »
I averaged 90hours per week 2007-2009. It seems a bit crazy now looking back but I didn't mind it so much them but I was in my mid 20's. I was a surgical resident. Now it's illegal to work more than 80 hour week and in many European countries 48 hour is max for doctors.
I do about a 50 hour week now.
The Dude Abides