Author Topic: Bill Pearl’s 1980 Training Strategies Seminar  (Read 6250 times)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Re: Bill Pearl’s 1980 Training Strategies Seminar
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2017, 06:05:58 PM »
"Read Haney articles and listen to him.

He did not do volume.

3 sets per exercise.

12 sets for entire bodypart."

LOL. 12 sets IS volume!

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2017, 06:09:03 PM »
still not a single argument why anybody - anybody - should train like dorian. that includes dorian himself.
x2 dumbest way to train , will injure u n make u fat with hit bs
A

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2017, 06:16:07 PM »

He did not do volume.

3 sets per exercise.

LOL. 12 sets IS volume!

quoted for truth
"

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2017, 06:56:25 PM »
Those of us who started training in the late 1950s were never sure we knew how to make muscles grow. So it was a continuous journey to find out more.
We read the magazines from cover to cover. Out of nowhere came Larry Scott. He came up with absolutely brutal workouts. Must be good because he
was an ordinary guy with narrow shoulders but built some of the best arms ever seen. Just as Larry was crowned King two wannabes appeared to just
about spoil things for everyone who lifted weights. Sergio Oliva and Arnold. Both really huge guys. I mean, after seeing these guys why even bother
lifting weights? We were never going to be like those two.

Well, many of us did persist and what did we learn?  I tried HIT, Scott burns and so many other methods. Nothing helped me get really big arms. Sure,
we all heard the rumors about steroids and most of us tried small doses that didn't get us anywhere near Sergio-Arnold. Should we have taken more
gear? Or perhaps we were at the maximum size we were ever going to develop? I never believed that most of us were anywhere near our maximum
muscular size.

Let me explain a factor that affected just about everyone who lifted weights back in the 1970s. Nautilus and Arthur Jones. The net effect of what
Arthur preached was not to do any more training than was necessary. Also, he stated that intensity was the main factor behind hypertrophy.

On the one hand there was Larry Scott's method advocating brutal painful workouts. Lots of rapid sets to failure. Compare that to HIT where you
tried to do the least amount of sets to stimulate growth. Train more intensely but also keep the workouts short. In fact, if you trained to absolute failure
several times in a workout it had to be brief. What I ended up doing was to apply Larry's idea about training for the maximum pump. I applied the Jones
principle of doing this is the fewest number of sets. Including warmup sets I needed about 7 sets to reach a maximum pump. So that is all I did. It was
always a pyramid and when I did a set with the maximum resistance there ended my workout. On some occasions I would reduce the resistance and do
one or two more sets. Did this protocol get my arms bigger? Nope, they stopped just short of 18 inches cold. I could pump them to 18 1/2 or slightly more.

When you run a gym you meet new guys who are bigger than you. That is a good time to watch what they do. One day this big South Sea Islander came
in for a workout. I trained back with him. We started lat pulldowns with 15 X 5 kg plates. A heavy resistance to start with! I did something like 15 reps. This huge
guy also matched what I did. On the second set I managed only 12 reps. The big guy did another set for 15 reps. On my third set I was down to about 8 reps.
He continued and did over 12 reps. Then he went to do seated rowing for lots of sets. Well, I was blown away since we didn't rest after the other guy did his set.
3 or 4 sets and I was done. He kept doing several additional sets with the same resistance. I was impressed. I also concluded what big muscles were good for.
Since I was just as strong as he was for a single I couldn't keep up with him for endurance. Big muscles were necessary to lift a heavy weight for 10 reps over
and over and over and over again for something like 8 to 10 sets. There I was always stopping at the maximum set. What I should have done was count that
final set as my first training set and continue to do another 5 or 6 sets with the same maximum resistance. Rest long enough to get your target number of reps.
I always started with something like 15 to 20 reps. What happens is that by the 3rd set you can't do as many reps. You try to keep every set over 10 reps to get
the best pump and avoid swinging or cheating to finish the sets. Therein is the secret I longed for since 1958. Warm up and keep adding weight until your training set.
Once at the maximum resistance keep doing set after set after set with the same resistance. The accumulated time under tension is what triggers more hypertrophy.
That is why Bill Pearl didn't have to go to failure. He knew that all he had to do was keep doing heaps of maximum sets. 5 or 6 should be enough. Well, imagine using
this protocol for squats! Would be damned hard. Not so bad for arms and calves.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2017, 07:01:58 PM »
Bill Pearl at 55 long after he stopped competing.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2017, 07:06:43 PM »
Bill Pearl always gave out good training advice. His biography "Beyond the Universe" is a great read. One of the few that made real money at bodybuilding. The guy had an incredible life. He was in the military, a musician, owned many antique cars that he restored, collector of antiques, and many other interesting things. His relationship with Arthur Jones is something. One thing he did for decades. He woke up at 3 or 4AM to train. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2017, 07:07:42 PM »
He competed at over 250lbs when that was unheard of.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2017, 08:54:16 PM »
weird how very few people on this site actually view the Training board

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=561467.0

French

• Getbig IV
  • Solana @ 2000$
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2017, 11:38:39 PM »
It seems that Lee Labrada is the best advocate of HIT.
25 minutes max per muscle group.
4-5 training session per week.
Any stories on his training ?
$

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2017, 02:50:58 AM »
Bill Pearl always gave out good training advice. His biography "Beyond the Universe" is a great read. One of the few that made real money at bodybuilding. The guy had an incredible life. He was in the military, a musician, owned many antique cars that he restored, collector of antiques, and many other interesting things. His relationship with Arthur Jones is something. One thing he did for decades. He woke up at 3 or 4AM to train. 

I mentioned this about AJ a few posts up

Desolate

• Getbig V
  • I dream of Gods
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2017, 08:40:47 PM »
Actually I was not even thinking of roids until you broought it up

Speaking of which this is a good video the first 5 to 10 minutes on that subject of training on drugs versus off

these guys response is 100% on for the excuse making  morons out there.

I don't know who those two idiots are, but they look like a couple of fat juiceheads.

They is nothing funnier than a juicer who is obese at the same time.

still not a single argument why anybody - anybody - should train like dorian. that includes dorian himself.

Six Sandows. Money. Relatively good health compared to many others who couldn't even win the title. ;D

Desolate

• Getbig V
  • I dream of Gods
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2017, 08:45:08 PM »

He did not do volume.

3 sets per exercise.

LOL. 12 sets IS volume!

You consider twelve sets total to be volume?

Yeah, it's more than Yates, but less than half just about everyone else who does volume.

And stop posting in color, Vince. It is gayer than gay.

It seems that Lee Labrada is the best advocate of HIT.
25 minutes max per muscle group.
4-5 training session per week.
Any stories on his training ?

And he didn't have great genetics, and yet it could be argued he was robbed of two Olympia titles in 89' and 90'.

Again, what does that tell us?