Author Topic: Best Stand Up Comedy Specials  (Read 10651 times)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Re: Best Stand Up Comedy Specials
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2017, 02:22:11 PM »
Modern comics, most on Netflix/Prime:

CK (God)
Bill Burr (Jesus)
Jim Jefferies (Holy Ghost)
Anthony Jeselnik
John Mulaney
Dave Attell
Norm MacDonald
Colin Quinn
Doug Stanhope
Chris Porter
Al Madrigal
Sebastian Maniscalco
Jim Norton
David Spade
Patton Oswalt
Sarah Silverman

Also, cleaner but still funny:

Jim Gaffigan
Brian Regan
Mike Birbiglia (Acquired taste)
Demetri Martin (Diet Hedberg, sorta)

You guys already covered all the older legends. And I didn't purposely omit gals, just seems very few female stand-ups pull it off.

DarthSidious

• Getbig II
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2017, 02:51:45 PM »
*snip*

You guys already covered all the older legends. And I didn't purposely omit gals, just seems very few female stand-ups pull it off.

You nailed it.  The late Christopher Hitchens once wrote a piece about how women largely lacked the ability to be funny.  Chris was a great mind, and he made many salient observations to support his case, but I cannot wholly agree with his conclusions.  For one, I have found some of Sarah Silverman's stuff funny (even if that might be driven by an underlying desire to fuck her senseless, which I've wanted to do since her guest-starring role on a Star Trek episode).  And I think my fiancé can be crazy funny.  

Still, I reckon they are exceptions to a rule...you want funny?  Look to male comedians.  Or either gender of SJWs, as you can tolerate them.  That piece of shit Jefferson!  That jackass Ghandi!  Pretty soon their slippery slope will call for anything Reagan did since he smoked in some of his movies, and JFK?  LOL.  CIC Pussyhound, with all of his exploits, not the least of whom was fucking Marilyn Monroe ... eventually that crab-eyed fucker will be targeted, too.  

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2017, 03:40:03 PM »
WOW, JUST WOW!  Not one mention of the greatest ever in Eddie Murphy. Delirious and RAW are the best ever.

Dokey111

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2017, 03:56:20 PM »
You nailed it.  The late Christopher Hitchens once wrote a piece about how women largely lacked the ability to be funny.  Chris was a great mind, and he made many salient observations to support his case, but I cannot wholly agree with his conclusions.  For one, I have found some of Sarah Silverman's stuff funny (even if that might be driven by an underlying desire to fuck her senseless, which I've wanted to do since her guest-starring role on a Star Trek episode).  And I think my fiancé can be crazy funny.  

Still, I reckon they are exceptions to a rule...you want funny?  Look to male comedians.  Or either gender of SJWs, as you can tolerate them.  That piece of shit Jefferson!  That jackass Ghandi!  Pretty soon their slippery slope will call for anything Reagan did since he smoked in some of his movies, and JFK?  LOL.  CIC Pussyhound, with all of his exploits, not the least of whom was fucking Marilyn Monroe ... eventually that crab-eyed fucker will be targeted, too.  

I will say one thing, there is a female comedian named Rachel Feinstein, she is a very hot and she is funny as fuck.  Saw her live a couple of years ago and was crying.  And she's hot.  Too bad she is friends with that amy girl schumer.  She is way funnier and sexier.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2017, 03:58:20 PM »

Thing is, I find plenty of women funny. Julia Louis Dreyfus was probably first - hilarious on Seinfeld. Not funny "for a girl," just legit f'n funny. Then it was mostly 90s (and beyond) SNLers: Cheri Oteri, Kristen Wiig, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Rachel Dratch, Kate McKinnon, and Vanessa Bayer are/were fantastic; Molly Shannon, Maya Rudolph, and Ana Gasteyer could also be good, depending on the skit. Also think Melissa McCarthy is pretty damn funny, too.  

But none of them do stand-up, far as I know.

And, yeah, we're all supposed to bow at the thrones of Radner, Curtain, and Newman, but their stuff hasn't aged well. Roseanne Roseannadanna had me rolling at 11, but I couldn't even sit through it today. Someone wanna recommend a funny female stand-up, I'm more than willing to watch.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2017, 04:08:15 PM »
WOW, JUST WOW!  Not one mention of the greatest ever in Eddie Murphy. Delirious and RAW are the best ever.

Browsed thread quickly, figured he'd already been covered. 'Delirious,' at the time, had me in tears. EVERYONE recognized he was comedy's next-level genius. Same with Chappelle after 'Killin' Them Softly' in 2000.

Chidoman

• Getbig IV
  • Me Like'em All!! #Team Kwon All The Way!!
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2017, 07:47:10 PM »
Dude,
Best One right Now on Netflix are the four Specials done by Bill Burr, He's ranked #5 in the world as Best Comedians and He is So!
Old School, No Holds Barred and not afraid to say what he thinks, The Man is a SJW/Feminist Nightmare!

Watch them from oldest to newest and laugh your ass off!!....The Man is a Genius! ;D

bailey

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2017, 11:19:37 PM »
Chidoman: Did not know of him. Been listening to him for 2 hours now. Funny as hell!!! Thanks. :D

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2017, 12:30:10 AM »
Dude,
Best One right Now on Netflix are the four Specials done by Bill Burr, He's ranked #5 in the world as Best Comedians and He is So!
Old School, No Holds Barred and not afraid to say what he thinks, The Man is a SJW/Feminist Nightmare!

Watch them from oldest to newest and laugh your ass off!!....The Man is a Genius! ;D

Dude's brilliant, though a bit disappointed with his last special. Norton's too.

But CK's still batting .1000, no question.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2017, 07:02:51 AM »
Isn't he dead?
   yes but his comedy will live on forever.
F