Author Topic: Rare Photos of Robby Robinson at the 2001 Master's Mr. Olympia Contest at 55 y/o  (Read 2528 times)

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
What happened to Nether Animal's threads that took this style?  ???

Did someone scare him off from posting these sorts of threads?  I think they were cool in that so much of Getbig talks about the seedier side of bodybuilding, that it was sort of cool to get bodybuilding content from the perspective of the fans who are not aware of all that behind-the-scenes stuff.  Sometimes Getbig is "too real".  Which is a good thing, but I really liked Nether Animal's strictly bodybuilding-related threads.  Yet there has been a sharp decrease in them lately.  :-\

Also, I love when people call anything online "rare".  ;D  As if anything online can really be rare.  But with that said, I have been buying the downloadable copies of DVDs from www.gmvbodybuilding.com, and here are some screen caps of Robby Robinson at the contest, who was 55 years old at the time.  To think that it was 26 years earlier when he was competing at the Mr. Universe contest, winning the class!  This was Robby's final contest - he won the over 50 class, and thus ended a 27 year bodybuilding career.  Incidentally, Robby is 71 now, still training, and still in amazing shape.  For his age, or any age.  Talk about genetics!

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
These are the photos I had originally planned to put in the OP, just sort of as a joke.  ;D  It's funny to me when photographers catch these candid moments - and they are important photos too, just like catching the guts hanging backstage.  My friend took one look at my Brehm room shots from the 2014 Arnold Classic and said "GH ruined bodybuilding."

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
Don Youngblood looked amazing in 2001, coming in weighing a shredded 240-lb at 5'9.  :o  He ultimately ended up laying waste to Vince Taylor at the 2002 Master's, where he won 1st place and qualified for the 2002 Mr. Olympia contest.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
Last backstage shot of Robby.  As said, this was 26 years after he won his height class at the Mr. Universe, and he was looking almost as good as he did in his prime - in some ways, you could argue that he looked even better [muscle maturity/density]:

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Great shots, what a legend Robby is!

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Don Youngblood looked amazing in 2001, coming in weighing a shredded 240-lb at 5'9.  :o  He ultimately ended up laying waste to Vince Taylor at the 2002 Master's, where he won 1st place and qualified for the 2002 Mr. Olympia contest.
Don Youngblood got the bubble gut going. Looking like a chestburster is about to pop out.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
Don Youngblood got the bubble gut going. Looking like a chestburster is about to pop out.

Very true - he had sort of a John Meadows stomach going on.

Around 2004, Don underwent angioplasty, but was still bulked up in Ron's photo of him at the 2004 Nationals - weighing about 300-lb and beet red - and had plans to compete at the 2006 New York Pro.  He was also diabetic with sleep apnea.  It sort of goes to show that for some people, bodybuilding is a - I won't say disease, but - condition/disorder.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Robby is incredible. At 55 he destroys Levrone and Wheeler.

Dieter

• Getbig III
Looks like the 2001 Masters Olympia was held at some high school and they were pumping up in the AV dept room,,,,,real big time stuff ::) ::) ::)

Simple Simon

Looks like the 2001 Masters Olympia was held at some high school and they were pumping up in the AV dept room,,,,,real big time stuff ::) ::) ::)

I competed this year and they didn't have a single mirror backstage....

Ted SuperSet

• Getbig IV
  • America first!
Great pics matt

a_pupil

• Getbig V
nearly as impressive as the physique is how his hair held up to all the aas.

falco

• Getbig V
Almost as good as Wes, at 65.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
Thanks matt. Im posting from my phone so its hard to attach pics. Robby looked insane there

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Very true - he had sort of a John Meadows stomach going on.

Around 2004, Don underwent angioplasty, but was still bulked up in Ron's photo of him at the 2004 Nationals - weighing about 300-lb and beet red - and had plans to compete at the 2006 New York Pro.  He was also diabetic with sleep apnea.  It sort of goes to show that for some people, bodybuilding is a - I won't say disease, but - condition/disorder.
Look at that pic and please tell me where John Meadows belly button is?

Simple Simon

Look at that pic and please tell me where John Meadows belly button is?

on his right quad I think...