Author Topic: What does everyone think about Ronnie Coleman's post-retirement actions?  (Read 6130 times)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Re: What does everyone think about Ronnie Coleman's post-retirement actions?
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2017, 09:51:54 PM »
Getbig should reduce its word limits to 200. Anything beyond that is worthless. Damn, it’s like some of you are on meth when you post. Fuck

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2017, 10:41:28 PM »
ZONE CAPONE was a part of Piana's 5% army, lol. Apparently ran into some health problems so he filled his body with oil and tattoos instead of drugs. Check his IG  :D

I'm 40 and I warm up for up to 2 hours before heavy deads or squats, no joke  :D

40 is just around the corner for me.  And I full well expect to warm up for north of half an hour - how close I come to two hours will depend on how I feel in four or so years when I hit 40.  So far, so good.  :)  The moderate approach to weight training has worked well for me.  I feel good, and I believe that I picked the right sport in strongman - other sports definitely require younger men.  Although remarkably, Usain Bolt was beaten by a 35-year-old in the 100m sprint earlier this year.  :o

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/athletics/2017/08/05/usain-bolts-last-individual-race-live-london-2017-100m-updates

That article acts as if PEDs are some horrifying thing.  Are PEDs really tested for adequately in sprinting?  ???  I'm of the impression that drugs are in all sports...with USADA in the UFC now, PED use appears to be on the decline, but at the end of the day, are people seriously shocked by the fact that PEDs are in sports?  I just take it as a given.  Furthermore, testing seems to reward those who get away with drugs, rather than prevent people from using them.  In other words, those with the best coaches/chemists will ultimately have an advantage.  How is that fair?

how does talking about this dim witted black man enrich your life?

Fair question - I guess to me it's ultimately about a deeper issue; that being that we will eventually face aging, disease, the loss of loved ones, and death.  I myself want to look to models around me that have been best at coping with those things, so that I can handle them well when I face them myself.  Seeing Ronnie go from the king of the jungle to a person who has had difficulty walking at times has been a bit hard even for me to watch.  I can't fathom how he has been coping with it.

That's why I said that Shawn Ray is a much better model for how to deal with retirement from an activity so dependent on youth, and aging.  Shawn has focused on family, and the word of The Lord.  I respect that a lot - and I say that as a [still, currently at least] non-religious person.

As I said, we all face these things right?  So why not learn from the mistakes of others, and not make those mistakes ourselves?  If there is something to learn from Ronnie it's that it is perfectly fine to put on the brakes at some point!  We don't need to be giving 100% all of the time.  Maybe I'll make 2018 the year that I win Strongman Nationals in my weight class, then finally move on to a more moderate program - with added cardio, more warming up [as Van_Bilderass says he does], and stuff like that.  I do believe that I have the potential to win Nationals, and I don't want to be 50 years old asking myself what I could have done had I tried harder.  On the flip side, I don't want to be in a wheelchair regretting the time that I decided to train way too hard in order to ultimately just win a plastic trophy.

In other words - as usual - I relate the experiences of Ronnie Coleman to myself, and try to learn from him.  So yeah, it's all about me once again.  ;D  Sorry.  :-\ :-X

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2017, 10:43:03 PM »
40 is just around the corner for me.  And I full well expect to warm up for north of half an hour - how close I come to two hours will depend on how I feel in four or so years when I hit 40.  So far, so good.  :)  The moderate approach to weight training has worked well for me.  I feel good, and I believe that I picked the right sport in strongman - other sports definitely require younger men.  Although remarkably, Usain Bolt was beaten by a 35-year-old in the 100m sprint earlier this year.  :o

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/athletics/2017/08/05/usain-bolts-last-individual-race-live-london-2017-100m-updates

That article acts as if PEDs are some horrifying thing.  Are PEDs really tested for adequately in sprinting?  ???  I'm of the impression that drugs are in all sports...with USADA in the UFC now, PED use appears to be on the decline, but at the end of the day, are people seriously shocked by the fact that PEDs are in sports?  I just take it as a given.  Furthermore, testing seems to reward those who get away with drugs, rather than prevent people from using them.  In other words, those with the best coaches/chemists will ultimately have an advantage.  How is that fair?

Fair question - I guess to me it's ultimately about a deeper issue; that being that we will eventually face aging, disease, the loss of loved ones, and death.  I myself want to look to models around me that have been best at coping with those things, so that I can handle them well when I face them myself.  Seeing Ronnie go from the king of the jungle to a person who has had difficulty walking at times has been a bit hard even for me to watch.  I can't fathom how he has been coping with it.

That's why I said that Shawn Ray is a much better model for how to deal with retirement from an activity so dependent on youth, and aging.  Shawn has focused on family, and the word of The Lord.  I respect that a lot - and I say that as a [still, currently at least] non-religious person.

As I said, we all face these things right?  So why not learn from the mistakes of others, and not make those mistakes ourselves?  If there is something to learn from Ronnie it's that it is perfectly fine to put on the brakes at some point!  We don't need to be giving 100% all of the time.  Maybe I'll make 2018 the year that I win Strongman Nationals in my weight class, then finally move on to a more moderate program - with added cardio, more warming up [as Van_Bilderass says he does], and stuff like that.  I do believe that I have the potential to win Nationals, and I don't want to be 50 years old asking myself what I could have done had I tried harder.  On the flip side, I don't want to be in a wheelchair regretting the time that I decided to train way too hard in order to ultimately just win a plastic trophy.

In other words - as usual - I relate the experiences of Ronnie Coleman to myself, and try to learn from him.  So yeah, it's all about me once again.  ;D  Sorry.  :-\ :-X

Case in point

werewolf operative

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2017, 10:59:18 PM »
What Ronnie does is not logical. But you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Just let him do his thing, he's not changing.

He still talks about a competitive comeback  :-X

Regarding Dorian, his training wasn't extremely heavy and it was low volume so not a huge amount of overuse trauma. But he was unlucky to have brittle tendons. Dorian wouldn't have survived many days training like Ronnie. Enormous volume, enormous loads, horrible form.

Training wasn't extremely heavy? Compared to who?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2017, 11:16:15 PM »
What Ronnie does is not logical. But you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Just let him do his thing, he's not changing.

He still talks about a competitive comeback  :-X

Regarding Dorian, his training wasn't extremely heavy and it was low volume so not a huge amount of overuse trauma. But he was unlucky to have brittle tendons. Dorian wouldn't have survived many days training like Ronnie. Enormous volume, enormous loads, horrible form.

Unless it’s genetics (which I doubt) it’s poor training knowledge when it comes to programming. Same scenario with ACL injuries in the NFL. 40+ this season and we’re only half way through. Muscles too strong for connective tissue leads to injury. Add in PED’s and you make the problem worse. For years I’ve been preaching to take the knowledge and science from the actual Strength and Conditioning world (where training research is actually done) and apply to bodybuilding. Connective tissue for healthy doesn’t happen unless it’s genetics later on in life. Bodybuilders in general just don’t know the sciences of training besides hypertrophy. Most of not all (even Layne Norton, Stoppani, etc) that I know of don’t look beyond that.

Fortunately I actually developed a bodybuilding template some years back just for that.

Simple Simon

Tha Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2017, 03:42:34 AM »
Dorian trained heavy the whole time. 6-8 rep heavy, only deadlifts he went a bit lighter because of his bicep tear.

Should have at least gone lighter 6-8 weeks before a show.

I remember the first few years of training anything over 6-8 reps i didn't like, didn't feel the same. I couldn't even warm up on leg press with under 700 pounds. But after years you feel everything a lot better and going that heavy would be scary because i would feel the risk of injury. You just need to wake up and realise it rather than keep doing the same thing and risking not even training for long periods.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2017, 03:48:41 AM »

He was a high intensity advocate, heavy partials, and took a muscle to the point of negative failure

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2017, 03:56:28 AM »
Case in point

LOL.

Honestly, with time we all sort of refine things and become better...what I have been wondering is if the 80/20 principle can apply to my posts.  Is it possible that I could make posts that are 20% the size, but contain about 80% the information?

Because that tradeoff is one that I would accept.  If I could manage to make my posts 80% as informative while reducing their size by 80%, that would be the best case scenario - I would have posts about the size of this one, while hitting on all the points I'm trying to make.

I hope I can do it.  That would actually see my posts get read more, allow me to spend less time writing, and just be a win all around.  I hate being wordy, but I do try to pack a lot of facts in with my posts.  I hope I can do it.  8)

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2017, 04:16:45 AM »
LOL!!!

I missed the NelsonMuntz piece on me, and was like "I'll go read it later", and somehow managed to not get to it until now, and yet go on in this thread like nothing happened, haha.

Looks to me like I have feared for Ronnie Coleman's health for quite some time now:

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=623372.0

I fear for everyone's health!  I fear for the health of Marty Champions' 99-year-old grandmother!  I fear for her health even more than I fear for Ronnie's health.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2017, 05:54:40 AM »
The one thing you can say about Ronnie, is that he has a positive "can do" mindset approach to everything. Even when he was in rehab, he didn't give off a "woe is me" depressed vibe. He was chipper, and approached his rehab like he approached training, "light weight", and was happy. Granted he was in pain. But, I think he does understand that there is a cost to be the boss, and he accepts it.