Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
December 13, 2018, 11:53:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JM press vs close grip  (Read 26419 times)
sceagacros
Getbig III

Happy holidays, have you considered suicide?

« on: December 24, 2017, 04:58:16 AM »

In what scenarios would you pick one over the other as a supplemental lift for raw benching (if you could only use one), and why?
Report to moderator   Logged
benchmstr
Getbig V

Heraclitus was right

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 02:02:28 PM »

In what scenarios would you pick one over the other as a supplemental lift for raw benching (if you could only use one), and why?
I have always found JM press works better for size and close grip for strength..thatís for me though

Bench
Montague
Getbig V

No such thing as an "essential carb."

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 04:41:37 PM »

I have always found JM press works better for size and close grip for strength..thatís for me though

Bench

Interesting.
I noticed the same when I did them for a time. I always felt like my wrists were my weakest link in that exercise - even wrapping them.

There are several variations that people "call" the JM press. I used a cambered bar with the technique Blakely described himself on video. Haven't done them forever since I almost never have a spotter anymore (one I trust, anyway).
benchmstr
Getbig V

Heraclitus was right

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 02:37:47 PM »

Interesting.
I noticed the same when I did them for a time. I always felt like my wrists were my weakest link in that exercise - even wrapping them.

There are several variations that people "call" the JM press. I used a cambered bar with the technique Blakely described himself on video. Haven't done them forever since I almost never have a spotter anymore (one I trust, anyway).
I actually use jm presses with lighter weight and super high reps..if Iím really after size for whatever reason I will do them in the smith machine...itís the only thing that piece of shit is good for

Bench
B_B_C
Getbig IV

change is the lot of all

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 03:51:37 PM »

Make sure you don't already have tennis elbow.

c
Sexybeast777
Getbig IV

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 05:12:48 PM »

call me crazy, but my wrists never bothered me with close grip bench presses
Jona
Getbig II

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 08:10:17 PM »

I have never done JM presses but this is the 2nd post i have seen (one on another forum). Will have to add these in
Montague
Getbig V

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 02:59:01 AM »

I have never done JM presses but this is the 2nd post i have seen (one on another forum). Will have to add these in

It's worth watching videos that demonstrate one or two variations, as well.

In one of Jim Blakely's originals, he mentions that that the technique he demonstrates is THE JM PRESS the way HE invented it. But, he also then goes on to say that there are other "versions" that are slightly different, but he feels are quite effective for many trainers.

Many videos will contain "JM Press" in the title, but if you're interested in seeing the true Jim B. original: #Invalid YouTube Link#

edit: For some reason, I've been having issues imbedding youtube videos. Here is the link instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTxOBkKDkzs
Montague
Getbig V

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 03:15:17 AM »

Here's a clip of Eric Spoto demonstrating his method:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tFLbJ0AKI0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tFLbJ0AKI0</a>

I doubt many people would argue that Eric's version is in any way inferior.
 Wink
Montague
Getbig V

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 09:04:15 AM »

Thanks, chaos!!!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTxOBkKDkzs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTxOBkKDkzs</a>
dj181
Getbig V

A slip noose hanging in my darkest dreams

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 08:52:21 AM »

I actually use jm presses with lighter weight and super high reps..if Iím really after size for whatever reason I will do them in the smith machine...itís the only thing that piece of shit is good for

Bench

Whats a light weight for you stud?

Probably 300 right Cheesy

Jona
Getbig II

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2018, 09:23:46 AM »

It's worth watching videos that demonstrate one or two variations, as well.

In one of Jim Blakely's originals, he mentions that that the technique he demonstrates is THE JM PRESS the way HE invented it. But, he also then goes on to say that there are other "versions" that are slightly different, but he feels are quite effective for many trainers.

Many videos will contain "JM Press" in the title, but if you're interested in seeing the true Jim B. original: #Invalid YouTube Link#

edit: For some reason, I've been having issues imbedding youtube videos. Here is the link instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTxOBkKDkzs

Great to know thanks for clarifying
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!