Author Topic: Gracie Vs Hughes  (Read 7408 times)

stuff81380

• Getbig II
Gracie Vs Hughes
« on: April 11, 2006, 07:31:11 AM »
To me Matt Hughes has nothing to gain by taking this fight and everything to lose. I say that b/c if he wins then he beat and old man but if he loses he got beat by an old man. Granted Gracie is a legend in this sport but i just don't see what Hughes has to gain.

To me i see this like someone beating the snot out of Ken Shamrock right now. If you win great you beat up a guy who is old as the hills but if you lose where does your carear go after that?

If Gracie and Hughes could fight while both in there primes this would be a great fight but I'm just cant get excited for this fight.

Does anyone else see this fight this way? Or is there something I'm missing?
bang da bang da bang

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
  • Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
Re: Gracie Vs Hughes
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 08:08:25 AM »
To me Matt Hughes has nothing to gain by taking this fight and everything to lose. I say that b/c if he wins then he beat and old man but if he loses he got beat by an old man. Granted Gracie is a legend in this sport but i just don't see what Hughes has to gain.

To me i see this like someone beating the snot out of Ken Shamrock right now. If you win great you beat up a guy who is old as the hills but if you lose where does your carear go after that?

If Gracie and Hughes could fight while both in there primes this would be a great fight but I'm just cant get excited for this fight.

i hear ya stuff, but royce gracie received his legendary status for a reason. he has continued to compete, and whether or not he has lost a little do to his age, hes still a bad dude. consider it a pro boxing comeback. they usually all come back, some do well.....some dont.

as far as gracie winning, it just again proves that he is the man. if hughes won, he beat a legend and is seemingly at the top of his game. i think youre kinda looking at it in a half empty kinda way.

do i really wanna see this fight?....i guess..
will i watch it?......yup....
who do i want to win?.....you know me...i think you can answer that yourself

an123

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 08:41:09 AM »
Hughes has a lot to gain:
1) paycheque
2) 2 more PPV's as champ (since they will give him at least one off, before they put him against GSP).

Hughes will handle Royce easily.

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 09:47:28 AM »
1) paycheque
2) 2 more PPV's as champ (since they will give him at least one off, before they put him against GSP).

3) The one he don't want which is a shot with GSP where he will get dominated!

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
  • Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 09:54:46 AM »
3) The one he don't want which is a shot with GSP where he will get dominated!

GSP is the "peoples champion"

he NEEDS the belt!!!!!

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 10:37:05 AM »
GSP is the "peoples champion"

he NEEDS the belt!!!!!

"peoples champion" + Belt= Major Pay day!!!

an123

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 10:41:40 AM »
Hughes is NOT an easy fight for anyone, including GSP.  But I could see GSP winning by decision.

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 10:43:50 AM »
Hughes is NOT an easy fight for anyone, including GSP.  But I could see GSP winning by decision.

I could see Matt trying to shoot GSP since his stand up is not even close and GSP countering with the master sprawl, then going for the K.O upon standing up!  I know that is a super tall feat to accomplish but it could happen...

stuff81380

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 12:47:01 PM »
GSP = George St Pierre?

As for Hughes winning easily I'm not sure i want to say that. I will right now give Gracie a little more credit then i will ever give Shamrock. I'm not a big Hughes fan at all due to his bible thumping ways but i have a lot of respect for what he can do in the ring.

I would LOVE to GSP fight Hughes as for i love to watch GSP do his thing in the ring.

bang da bang da bang

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 12:53:38 PM »

ive already said this several times
Scouser on Tour

torquemada

• Getbig IV
  • Billycarp ruled...
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 03:37:56 PM »
"peoples champion" + Belt= Major Pay day!!!
[/quote]

Unless you happen to be named Franklin... ;D

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2006, 07:24:09 PM »
Hughes is tough but I think Graci will submit him.

JKDMan

• Getbig IV
  • The G.O.A.T.
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2006, 10:32:43 PM »
1) paycheque

Royce has been beaten, but never "easily". And it certainly won't be easy for Matt Hughes.
Lee

Eric15210

• Getbig IV
  • poor people are crazy I'm eccentric
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2006, 11:08:46 PM »
Royce Gracie last few fights - not exactly stunning

Draw Hideo Tokoro Draw K-1-Premium 2005 Dynamite 12/31/2005 2 10:00 
 Win Chad Rowan Submission (Wrist Lock) K-1-Premium 2004 Dynamite 12/31/2004 1 2:13 
 Draw Hidehiko Yoshida Draw PRIDE-Shockwave 2003 12/31/2003 2 10:00 
 Loss Kazushi Sakuraba TKO (Corner Stoppage) PRIDE Grand Prix 2000-Finals 5/1/2000 6 15:00 

I will pick Matt Hughes
RIP Bob Probert

davinci

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2006, 09:54:36 AM »
this fight could go to gracie, hughes is good but hughes has a weak spot of giving up his back alot on teh ground and gettin choked out.. so well see what kinda defense he has against the rear naked now.

stuff81380

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2006, 01:06:19 PM »
this fight could go to gracie, hughes is good but hughes has a weak spot of giving up his back alot on teh ground and gettin choked out.. so well see what kinda defense he has against the rear naked now.

Hughes last lost was to Peen by rear naked choke but that was 1/31/2004. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that does not happen again to Hughes.

Hughes lost prior to that by a knee to the head and an arm bar. So I'm not sure he really gives up his back a lot as you say.
bang da bang da bang

davinci

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2006, 12:37:36 AM »
also to bj penn by choke and by anohter guy ill have to dig up the other guy

davinci

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2006, 11:48:51 AM »
also by trigg to the rear naked... now on there rematch trigg almost had him again by rnc but he got out of it and applied the same thing to win his match

im not saying gracie is gonna win im just saying keep an eye out for this since gracie is a ground guy ;)

my money is on hughes though

zillamonster

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2006, 12:57:12 PM »
 Matt will slam him like a rag doll. Gracie is just to old to compete with Matt.  He would have to get lucky to win this !  Gracie is old school.

an123

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2006, 02:13:47 PM »
Uhh, Hughes never lost to Trigg... He beat him twice via rear naked choke.  Only ones who have beaten him were Hallman (twice I think), Penn, and Pele.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2006, 03:14:25 PM »
hughes is a sucker for a guillotine choke as well as armbars,he,s just so strong he muscles out of them most of the time,the ronin exposed this in both their fights,even though mat won it doesnt erase that fact.royce is excellent at armbars and chokes,i agree mat will most likely win but you can never count out a great submission fighter,all it takes is one small mistake and its over
R

davinci

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2006, 07:44:05 PM »
Uhh, Hughes never lost to Trigg... He beat him twice via rear naked choke.  Only ones who have beaten him were Hallman (twice I think), Penn, and Pele.

im sorryi meant to put in that post "almost won" but in both matches with trigg he almost got the rear naked choke... im not saying hughes is goin to lose im wanting him to win.. im just saying watch for this move to happen since gracie is a ground man