Author Topic: Bench Pressing Tips  (Read 13836 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Re: Bench Pressing Tips
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2018, 02:30:58 PM »
I stopped bench pressing over 10 years ago. That said, my best bench numbers were 315lbs for 10 reps and a 1RM of 450lbs. After having shoulder surgery a number of years back, I swore to never fuck around with barbell bench presses and only stick to either dumbbells or machines presses. I have now truly fallen in love with machine presses (I know, what a faggot).

Anyway, in my early days, I always found that a way to increase reps on a weight range that you struggled with was to go heavier and work on getting good reps with the higher weight.

For instance, if I could only do 225lbs for 4-5 reps, I would instead stick to 235lbs for 2-3 reps and continuously work to improve the reps with the higher weight for about 2 months. By month 3, I would then fall back to the 225lbs and usually I would then be able to get 8-10 reps, assuming I improved my reps with the higher weight.

I know it sounds basic as fuck, but it did work.

Another trick was to change the grip on the barbell, don't tuck in your thumbs, use a false grip instead, but be careful, you can kill yourself.

"1"

I tried that before, but perhaps I shall try it again.
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2018, 02:32:15 PM »
Yeah my chest was it’s biggest when all I did was heavy flyes and heavy dB benches so fuck benching all it did was ruin my shoulders.rather look like I can bench 400 and bench 200 than bench 400 and look like I can do 200.

My normal chest workout is something like this:

Flat barbell bench press
Flat or incline flyes
Dumbell incline presses
Smith machine presses or hammer strength
Dips
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2018, 02:33:18 PM »
Go into the power rack. Place a flat bench inside. Set bars to chest level. Start the pressing movement from the chest not the rack. Each rep you do come to a complete stop on the bars at your chest then press up again.  Leave your ego at the door. Watch just how fast you get powerful in this lift by doing it this way. It takes all the cheating and momentum out of the movement and forces all muscle needed to lift to perform at full intensity. Do not use a spotter. Repeat, do not use a spotter, all effort on you.

Ive stated above that I have tried to pause the bar on my chest for a second, then press.

Would this be any different?
X

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2018, 02:37:17 PM »
Big back = big bench

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2018, 02:39:13 PM »
Big back = big bench

Clearly, that is not the case for me, as my back is perhaps my top bodypart, and my bench press sucks.

I think I may be back/shoulder and arm dominant because my chest SUCKS!! It's pretty flat.

Im a lifetime natural. Yes, I realize I am nothing special, but never claimed to be.

ps: flame away getbiggers

X

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2018, 02:41:10 PM »
As stated above, I have tried the pausing at the bottom of the movement--but still didn't work. Thanks for the advice anyway!

I am looking forward to the day that you, Vince, Fitness Frenzy and myself all move in together in Vince's new home.  :D :D
can’t wait till the 4 of us are relaxing in his hot tub discussing what the next topic is for the Vince Goodrum show on the magnificent deck of his new home

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2018, 02:43:57 PM »
Clearly, that is not the case for me, as my back is perhaps my top bodypart, and my bench press sucks.

I think I may be back/shoulder and arm dominant because my chest SUCKS!! It's pretty flat.

Im a lifetime natural. Yes, I realize I am nothing special, but never claimed to be.

Nothing to flame. Power and strength for the sake of this discussion are based on percentages and supplemental lifts that reinforce the main lift. Quick answer, conjugate

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2018, 02:44:33 PM »

What's to flame about?  Whether that's you or not, that's  a good strong build.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2018, 02:47:10 PM »
Nothing to flame. Power and strength for the sake of this discussion are based on percentages and supplemental lifts that reinforce the main lift. Quick answer, conjugate

I don't understand. How much more can I keep trying to build my back to get a bigger bench press? After all these years, it just seems like a hopeless endeavor, though I shall not give up!
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2018, 02:48:10 PM »
What's to flame about?  Whether that's you or not, that's  a good strong build.

Thank you. It is 100% me. There are more than enough people who can verify its me.

Lifetime natural! No drugs here, rarely drink, no cigs, and no gambling. I guess you could say I lead a pretty dull life ha lol

X

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2018, 02:50:29 PM »
The other day, I did 100 pound dumbbell presses for a clean 9 reps on the flat bench. I believe the most I ever pressed were the 115's on flat for a few reps.

The thing is, my barbell bench press sucks. I've never barbell benched more than 185 on the flat (45 and 25 on each side + 45 pound Olympic barbell). I could do like 185 for 2-3 reps.  I have tried everything to increase my barbell bench. Low reps, high reps, fast reps, slow reps, different hand positions, smith machine, hammer strength, benching like a power lifter, arms flailed out, elbows tucked in--you name it, I have tried it.

How is possible to be strong with the dumbbells, but so substantially weak with the barbell?  ??? ???

And, is there a way to overcome this deficit?

How far down are you going with those dumbbells?  If you are doing half reps then of course 185 will seem heavy. If you can lower 100lbs to maximum depth to full extension you should be repping 225 with ease. Every gym I go to lately guys are try to lift the weight in the easiest way possible instead of the hardest that would tax the muscles. I can grab 100lbs dumbbells and do a bunch of reps stopping when  my upper arm is parallel to the floor.  That's about a half rep. Instead I use the 80lbs and go deep for the full rep. Having said all that the bench is the most over rated exercise going. Every gym you see guys benching and curling.

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • "The World Meets Nobody Half Way"
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2018, 02:52:15 PM »
Interesting, I train with a guy who reps 315 for 8 reps flat bench barbell and incline barbell, but can't even get the 75 lb dumbells  for 5 reps, exact opposite of you, and his chest is terrible, very weak on dips as well, very strange.

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2018, 02:55:45 PM »
Interesting, I train with a guy who reps 315 for 8 reps flat bench barbell and incline barbell, but can't even get the 75 lb dumbells  for 5 reps, exact opposite of you, and his chest is terrible, very weak on dips as well, very strange.

Really,that is very weird.75lb bells for 5 yet 315 for 8s?that really makes no sense.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2018, 02:57:20 PM »
I don't understand. How much more can I keep trying to build my back to get a bigger bench press? After all these years, it just seems like a hopeless endeavor, though I shall not give up!

I’m taking in terms of Strength not necessarily size. When I meant big back yes I did mean size but I also met Strength. Sorry about the typos I am dictating right now

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2018, 02:57:31 PM »
How far down are you going with those dumbbells?  If you are doing half reps then of course 185 will seem heavy. If you can lower 100lbs to maximum depth to full extension you should be repping 225 with ease. Every gym I go to lately guys are try to lift the weight in the easiest way possible instead of the hardest that would tax the muscles. I can grab 100lbs dumbbells and do a bunch of reps stopping when  my upper arm is parallel to the floor.  That's about a half rep. Instead I use the 80lbs and go deep for the full rep. Having said all that the bench is the most over rated exercise going. Every gym you see guys benching and curling.

I always use a full ROM. I always use excellent form in the gym. I lower the dumbbell to maximum depth to where the outside of the dumbbell touches my chest.

I should be repping 225 with ease with a, but obviously I am not.

I get under the bar and it just doesn't happen. Very baffling.  ???
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2018, 02:59:12 PM »
I’m taking in terms of Strength not necessarily size. When I meant big back yes I did mean size but I also met Strength. Sorry about the typos I am dictating right now

Well, I guess I have a strong back. I don't know. How does one determine if they have a strong back?  ??? ??? I don't deadlift due to a past double inguinal hernia. I primarily do wide grip chins, barbell rows, t-bar rows, dumbbell rows and some machine work (different lat pulldown attachments). I surmise my back is pretty strong, but I really have no way of measuring how strong it really is.
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2018, 03:05:47 PM »

Its a mystery.  ??? ???
X

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • "The World Meets Nobody Half Way"
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2018, 03:06:28 PM »
Really,that is very weird.75lb bells for 5 yet 315 for 8s?that really makes no sense.
Dude it's strange, he only calls me to train chest because he's trying to bring up his chest, he's strong as shit in certain exercises, but has no endurance, can't handle any volume, sucks at dumbell work, can squat a ton as well as deadlift, it's the strangest thing I've ever seen lol.

Kahn.N.Singh

• Getbig IV
  • Die Weltgeschichte ist das Weltgericht
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2018, 03:10:53 PM »
it's the strangest thing I've ever seen lol.

Not any more.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2018, 03:11:31 PM »
Well, I guess I have a strong back. I don't know. How does one determine if they have a strong back?  ??? ??? I don't deadlift due to a past double inguinal hernia. I primarily do wide grip chins, barbell rows, t-bar rows, dumbbell rows and some machine work (different lat pulldown attachments). I surmise my back is pretty strong, but I really have no way of measuring how strong it really is.

As long as you are strong on the movements you mention here, why the need to "measure" your back strength?  Deadlifts use a lot of leg strength too, so they're not a very accurate gauge of back strength on it's own.  If you can BB row your bodyweight for 10 strict reps, that is pretty strong.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2018, 03:12:12 PM »
can’t wait till the 4 of us are relaxing in his hot tub discussing what the next topic is for the Vince Goodrum show on the magnificent deck of his new home

Vince can teach us all about he intricate world of finance and business.
X

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2018, 03:22:24 PM »

What are the tattoos of, on the inside of your forearms? 

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2018, 03:28:46 PM »
As long as you are strong on the movements you mention here, why the need to "measure" your back strength?  Deadlifts use a lot of leg strength too, so they're not a very accurate gauge of back strength on it's own.  If you can BB row your bodyweight for 10 strict reps, that is pretty strong.

Well, I was just saying that if back strength helps bench pressing, and I assume I have a strong back, then its baffling why my bench press is not more.

Yes, I can BB row my own bodyweight for 10 strict reps.
X

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2018, 03:29:19 PM »

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2018, 03:34:36 PM »
Wrong thread; sorry.