Author Topic: Jean-Claude Van Damme - Thoughts on his Legacy?  (Read 8092 times)

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Re: Jean-Claude Van Damme - Thoughts on his Legacy?
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2018, 04:22:10 AM »
He probably looked his best in Kickboxer.

True, but his best acting was found in "Black Eagle"

Q

chuckles

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2018, 04:32:52 AM »
          bronson opened the doors for all action stars... nothing special as an actor but a commanding screen presence.he not only acted but looked the part.

thatrandomguy#7

• Getbig II
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2018, 04:54:45 AM »
charles bronson did the death wish 5 at 73 years old

and the death wish remake with Bruce Willis (age 62) will be out soon.

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2018, 05:27:13 AM »
Id say "the quest" when we see him for his first fight after training on the island.
But he's always had a pretty consistent physique and looked good in recents years off screen.

He probably looked his best in Kickboxer.

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2018, 10:25:38 AM »
His Legacy will live on in his children Bianca and the son.

Q

Da Freak

• Getbig IV
  • Get BIG! Or DIE trying!
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2018, 04:33:03 PM »
His Legacy will live on in his children Bianca and the son.

his daughter is gorgeous. inherited her mothers looks.

some people here do not know that JCVD used to be a competitive bodybuilder once upon a time and he won the Mr. Belgium bodybuilding title in 1978.

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2018, 04:39:59 PM »
charles bronson did the death wish 5 at 73 years old

CHARLES BRONSON WAS THE FUCKING MAN,LOVE DEATHWISH MOVIES.

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2018, 04:41:21 PM »
Van Damme movies were fucking great,kickboxer,lion heart,blood sport etc... used to love watching them over and over and practice kicks and splits.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2018, 05:54:35 PM »
timecop, double impact, kickboxer, bloodsport, and universal soldier are all great movies

the problem with van damme is his movies didn't have a broad appeal, they were guy movies made for guys

arnold had movies like the terminator and twins, stallone had rocky, those movies appeal to everybody of all ages and that is why they are bigger stars

E
E

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2018, 09:02:35 AM »
Van damme coulda been bigger but he screwed it up for himself,  in his own words he blacklisted himself in hollywood. Made demands for so much per picture and was hooked on cocaine, shame.

timecop, double impact, kickboxer, bloodsport, and universal soldier are all great movies

the problem with van damme is his movies didn't have a broad appeal, they were guy movies made for guys

arnold had movies like the terminator and twins, stallone had rocky, those movies appeal to everybody of all ages and that is why they are bigger stars

E

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2018, 09:11:12 AM »
He was a GREAT action star but seems have severe health problems now - just look at his face.
His only sin, like so many others, was not stopping at the right time and letting it end gracefully.
And yes, awesome genetics and moves.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2018, 09:34:32 AM »
DUDE was gold early on,,good on screen,looks.build,

no retreat no surrender,,probably his biggest 'not lean'build wise
cyborg,,early straight to video type movie ,
bloodsport,great movie,
kickboxer,esp end scenes best build ripped and big
double impact..good story and way he pulled of twins different builds /dress
universal soldier was good movie ,big budget
 other good movies..

1993  Nowhere to Run
 Sam Gillen

Sudden Death
 Darren McCord

1994  Street Fighter
 Colonel Guile

1994  Timecop
 Walker
 1990  Death Warrant
 Louis Burke

Lionheart

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2018, 11:27:36 AM »
He was a GREAT action star but seems have severe health problems now - just look at his face.
His only sin, like so many others, was not stopping at the right time and letting it end gracefully.
And yes, awesome genetics and moves.

He did cocaine, he had a coke habit for many years that almost took him out,

https://www.popdust.com/my-night-with-jean-claude-van-dammea-kilo-of-cocaine-and-a-bottle-of-l-1889770519.html

The action film star reveals how Stallone, marriage to a good woman and dogs pulled him back from the drug-fuelled brink

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2012/aug/10/van-damme-expendables-2

He laughs at his own arrogance.

"I was fucked up, man. But you know, it was not about the money. The people in the UK will read this and say, 'What a fucking piglet.' Sorry about my expression!

I was making movie after movie, and in between movies I was doing promotion. I was tired.

Everything I was touching was making money.

Jim Carrey was being paid a fortune.

And I wanted to play with the system. Like an idiot. Ridiculous." They hung up on him. "I was on the blacklist. That was it."

Ten grams of cocaine a day will do that to you.

He was partying hard: crashing cars into nightclubs, fighting with paparazzi, getting arrested for drink-driving. His films got worse and worse and made less and less. He starred in Double Team, which climaxes in Rome's Colosseum, filled with explosives by Mickey Rourke, who sends a tiger to eat Van Damme's baby.

A near suicidal Van Damme was diagnosed as bipolar. Rehab didn't work for him, so he went cold turkey and sweated it out in the gym, remarried his third wife (after a disastrous marriage with a fourth), and it's been happy families ever since.
Q

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2018, 11:50:21 AM »
He did cocaine, he had a coke habit for many years that almost took him out,

https://www.popdust.com/my-night-with-jean-claude-van-dammea-kilo-of-cocaine-and-a-bottle-of-l-1889770519.html

The action film star reveals how Stallone, marriage to a good woman and dogs pulled him back from the drug-fuelled brink

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2012/aug/10/van-damme-expendables-2

He laughs at his own arrogance.

"I was fucked up, man. But you know, it was not about the money. The people in the UK will read this and say, 'What a fucking piglet.' Sorry about my expression!

I was making movie after movie, and in between movies I was doing promotion. I was tired.

Everything I was touching was making money.

Jim Carrey was being paid a fortune.

And I wanted to play with the system. Like an idiot. Ridiculous." They hung up on him. "I was on the blacklist. That was it."

Ten grams of cocaine a day will do that to you.

He was partying hard: crashing cars into nightclubs, fighting with paparazzi, getting arrested for drink-driving. His films got worse and worse and made less and less. He starred in Double Team, which climaxes in Rome's Colosseum, filled with explosives by Mickey Rourke, who sends a tiger to eat Van Damme's baby.

A near suicidal Van Damme was diagnosed as bipolar. Rehab didn't work for him, so he went cold turkey and sweated it out in the gym, remarried his third wife (after a disastrous marriage with a fourth), and it's been happy families ever since.

Excesses are normal but in his case it seems a bit on the harsh side. He looks seriously ill not worn out. Shizzo for example did a lot of cockaine and is still looking young.

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2018, 01:05:17 PM »
Excesses are normal but in his case it seems a bit on the harsh side. He looks seriously ill not worn out. Shizzo for example did a lot of cockaine and is still looking young.

Not as much or as often as Van Damage.
Q

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2018, 01:43:58 PM »
Q

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2018, 02:36:51 PM »
Bah.

If a man as disciplined as Van Damme can go down the bad road with drugs once he is inundated with free time, money, and abundance/largess, then it can likely happen to anyone.

Once I earned my first million dollars, I tried to immediately invest every dollar I made in order to trick myself psychologically into "feeling poor".  But then Bitcoin went nuts, and I couldn't even pretend I was poor anymore.  I had money everywhere.

Now I try to hire three friends a day for about $40 each, in addition to paying the mothers of my children child support + the money I spend on my children directly [it's March Break now, and both have birthdays this month, which will cost me at least $850].

Still though, it's not enough to make me feel poor.  I have stopped working out.  I have gotten lazy.  It's like Getbig and renting movies on Google Play is all that I have been doing lately.  :-\

As I said, if drug addiction can happen to someone as disciplined as Van Damme, it can happen to anyone.  Another example is sex: I consider myself HIGHLY sexually restrained, but how many women can offer me sex before I snap and start indulging?

I really believe anyone, in the face of THAT much abundance [as Van Damme had, with both drugs and sex] will eventually snap.  Only the most disciplined can avoid indulgence.

I think this is why it's important to have people and hobbies in place to keep us grounded.  If we have this, we should be able to do ok.  But I still revert back to Van Damme...if it can happen to him, I believe it stands to reason it can happen to a lot of people - most people, even.

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2018, 02:50:03 PM »
Talk about beeping your own horn sheeshh... Beep beep matty..

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2018, 03:47:16 PM »
Matt is rich, and that's why we love him.
Q

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2018, 04:45:13 PM »
if matt is so rich how come he doesnt have a rolex watch on each arm

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2018, 09:46:01 PM »
if matt is so rich how come he doesnt have a rolex watch on each arm

I live in poverty.  Squalor.  That's why I'm rich.  Why buy one big house when I can buy a bunch of small ones and rent them for $1,250 monthly each?

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2018, 03:02:18 AM »
I'm posting this since I'm watching Hard Target right now...you have to feel sorry for the overweight Randal character in that movie...like WTF did he do wrong?  Poor guy.

Was this Jean-Claude's top physique/form?

Bit tough to judge - that is quite clearly a digital painting (good one though)