Author Topic: Draining your own ears...  (Read 9787 times)

slippediskmountian

• Getbig IV
  • absolute power corrupts absolutely
Re: Draining your own ears...
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2006, 10:53:44 AM »
for striking id say find yourself a really good boxer and do 6 months with him ... i spent 6 months in karate, a year in kickboxing ... and i learned more from 1 lesson with a boxing coach than i did in all my time in the other 2  :-\

basically you want someone to teach you balance and how to relax when u hit ... it all flows from there ive found (not that im a good striker, but ive come night and day from where i was last year)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2006, 11:04:19 AM »
dude does thai boxing...he's a champ in his weight class..i'd love to throw hands with him at least once...

but he's all of 5' tall and 140 lbs...but i'm sure would rape anyone within reach.  :o

you relax when you throw a punch?! not to sound ignorant...but how to you generate power?  ??? just put your body into it and follow through?

an123

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2006, 11:10:05 AM »
6'1" you might want to cut down and fight at 185, since if you are comfortable at 206 you can just dump a few pounds of fat then lose the water.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2006, 11:29:27 AM »
185lbs?! holy god how could i get down that low? i havne't seen that since hs!

an123

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2006, 11:31:01 AM »
Ask Franklin ;).  Guy walks around at 210, cuts down to 185 to fight.  Most of it is water weight.

slippediskmountian

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2006, 11:31:18 AM »
dude does thai boxing...he's a champ in his weight class..i'd love to throw hands with him at least once...

but he's all of 5' tall and 140 lbs...but i'm sure would rape anyone within reach.  :o

you relax when you throw a punch?! not to sound ignorant...but how to you generate power?  ??? just put your body into it and follow through?

sounds counterintuitive doesnt it?? .... but if you tense up you wont generate any power (youll hit hard cause youre a big guy, but not nearly as hard as you would if you relaxed) ... you only tense up at the moment of impact

reason being is power comes from the weight behind your punch and the speed at which it travells ... when you tense up you slow yourself down significantly and thus rob yourself of power

im sure someone whose a more proficient striker than me could explain it better

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2006, 11:40:28 AM »
kinda like balllistics..a slow heavy bullet hits as hard as a fast lighter weight bullet...

but when you're faster...  ;)  yeah i' can throw hands faster when i'm relaxed on the bag...

slippediskmountian

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2006, 11:45:10 AM »
kinda like balllistics..a slow heavy bullet hits as hard as a fast lighter weight bullet...

exactly ...

one of the guys i train with is a "grandmaster" in hepkido and the best all around striker ive ever seen .... he can hit at half speed harder than anyone else can at full speed cause he knows how to time the weight transfer perfectly, therefore there is more weight behind the punch/kick!

but when you're faster...  ;)  yeah i' can throw hands faster when i'm relaxed on the bag...

learn to stay relaxed and just as important keep your balance .... and focus more on the speed /double end bags if u got them ... that will really bring up your hands man