Author Topic: Dow Crash Coming To Your 401k  (Read 222390 times)

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
Re: Dow Crash Coming To Your 401k (2018)
« Reply #300 on: December 06, 2018, 10:36:02 AM »
Dow DOWN -800 points.

More PAIN ahead.

-NT

Blood in the streets. 

All major technical levels breached.

More PAIN ahead.

-NT

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #301 on: December 06, 2018, 10:37:32 AM »
Blood in the streets. 

More PAIN ahead.

-NT

lol

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #302 on: December 06, 2018, 12:26:24 PM »
Blood in the streets. 

More PAIN ahead.

-NT

Still buying quality stocks every single week.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #303 on: December 06, 2018, 03:11:43 PM »
Is this some kind of a joke, or are you really this clueless about investing in the stock market?

You are right, I am clueless about this. Investing in the stock market has historically been good for folks in the long term. I'm 74. It is not unreasonable to view my investment as being short term. Additionally, I really don't need a big return as my income is adequate and secure. It also wouldn't noticeably improve my estate.    

Gambling is not something I am comfortable with. I enjoy living a relatively stress free life. This investment was causing me stress. It was a mistake to let my banker talk me into it. I'm simply correcting my error.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #304 on: December 06, 2018, 05:22:36 PM »
How many more years until this happens?

A little over two until it starts. Average is 26.4 months before the recession starts once the 2 year note beats the 5.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #305 on: December 06, 2018, 05:56:06 PM »
You are right, I am clueless about this. Investing in the stock market has historically been good for folks in the long term. I'm 74. It is not unreasonable to view my investment as being short term. Additionally, I really don't need a big return as my income is adequate and secure. It also wouldn't noticeably improve my estate.    

Gambling is not something I am comfortable with. I enjoy living a relatively stress free life. This investment was causing me stress. It was a mistake to let my banker talk me into it. I'm simply correcting my error.

I was in an unpleasant mood yesterday because what little faith I had in the stock market and my investment was fini. From the looks of it, today the DOW will close lower than Tuesday which means I'll lose even more before the liquidation goes through at today's closing. If we credit Trump for a good economy we can blame him when it's falling.

You seem way too stressed out and worried about the stock market for someone whose income is supposedly adequate and secure.  Buying stocks when they're high, then selling them in a panic when they're low?  That's a guaranteed loss.  That's worse than gambling.  At least gambling you have a very small chance you'll get lucky.  

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Every brother ain't a brother.
« Reply #306 on: December 06, 2018, 06:05:38 PM »

Here's a tip: Don't get investment advice from bankers.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #307 on: December 06, 2018, 06:21:04 PM »
Here's a tip: Don't get investment advice from bankers.

"Act as if every broker, insurance salesman, mutual fund salesperson, and financial advisor you encounter is a hardened criminal, and stick to low-cost index funds, and you'll do just fine." - William J. Bernstein

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #308 on: December 06, 2018, 06:53:22 PM »
You seem way too stressed out and worried about the stock market for someone whose income is supposedly adequate and secure.  Buying stocks when they're high, then selling them when they're low?  That's a guaranteed loss.  That's worse than gambling.  At least gambling you have a very small chance you'll get lucky.  

You're probably right in that it's not a good idea to stress over the little stuff, yet I do and that's the problem. Truth be told, the small amount of savings I invested in stocks not quite two years ago, doesn't mean a hill of beans compared to my total assets. If the entire investment went down the toilet, it would be less than a blip in my overall financial picture. After a lifetime of being financially cautious to the extreme, it was stupid of me to think I could cope with an investment that changes on a daily basis.

Trust me, it is not about my financial security, which is just as I said it was. The bulk of my income is from two guaranteed annuities for the rest of my life with a minimum 7.5% annual gain... more than enough to keep pace with cost of living increases. Much of the remainder is Social Security, which doesn't keep pace with cost of living. I also have a couple of tax sheltered annuities that continue to produce returns close to the amount the government requires me to withdraw each year. For unforeseen emergency expenses I have a couple of substantial savings accounts. Lastly, there is the considerable equity I have in my home. Worse comes to worse, I could get a job as a Walmart greater (do they still have them?).  :)

I presume you are young and not yet retired. Your perspective should be different that mine, because you are in a period of your life when you should focus on ways to insure your retirement income will support you.

I never strived for great wealth. I've seen firsthand how little it means in the scope of things. If I had more money, I feel confident that I wouldn't be any happier because of it. In the 60's, my stepfather aspired to profit $1,000 a week from his business. He never got there and it seemed to me that he also never felt content with what he had, thus he felt like a failure. He grew up in abject poverty and to him having wealth was everything. Thanks, impart, to him, my childhood was one of abundance. And that can be a game changer.

Stupid though my recent decision might seem to others, it was the right one for me.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #309 on: December 06, 2018, 08:20:48 PM »
Dos Equis, I shall now call you El Profeta.   :D

lol.  No you earned that name Seńor.   ;D

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #310 on: December 07, 2018, 12:11:44 PM »
You're probably right in that it's not a good idea to stress over the little stuff, yet I do and that's the problem. Truth be told, the small amount of savings I invested in stocks not quite two years ago, doesn't mean a hill of beans compared to my total assets. If the entire investment went down the toilet, it would be less than a blip in my overall financial picture. After a lifetime of being financially cautious to the extreme, it was stupid of me to think I could cope with an investment that changes on a daily basis.

Trust me, it is not about my financial security, which is just as I said it was. The bulk of my income is from two guaranteed annuities for the rest of my life with a minimum 7.5% annual gain... more than enough to keep pace with cost of living increases. Much of the remainder is Social Security, which doesn't keep pace with cost of living. I also have a couple of tax sheltered annuities that continue to produce returns close to the amount the government requires me to withdraw each year. For unforeseen emergency expenses I have a couple of substantial savings accounts. Lastly, there is the considerable equity I have in my home. Worse comes to worse, I could get a job as a Walmart greater (do they still have them?).  :)

I presume you are young and not yet retired. Your perspective should be different that mine, because you are in a period of your life when you should focus on ways to insure your retirement income will support you.

I never strived for great wealth. I've seen firsthand how little it means in the scope of things. If I had more money, I feel confident that I wouldn't be any happier because of it. In the 60's, my stepfather aspired to profit $1,000 a week from his business. He never got there and it seemed to me that he also never felt content with what he had, thus he felt like a failure. He grew up in abject poverty and to him having wealth was everything. Thanks, impart, to him, my childhood was one of abundance. And that can be a game changer.

Stupid though my recent decision might seem to others, it was the right one for me.

Ain't reading all that shiitte

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #311 on: December 07, 2018, 01:44:24 PM »
I heard a bang outside, was that my 401k ???
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #312 on: December 07, 2018, 05:20:30 PM »
Still buying quality stocks every single week.

Now's the time, my friend!!!

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #313 on: December 07, 2018, 05:42:24 PM »

Now's the time, my friend!!!

It's always a good time to buy.  Dollar-cost averaging

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #314 on: December 08, 2018, 03:31:46 AM »
I heard a bang outside, was that my 401k ???

Dow DOWN -558 points

Nasdaq DOWN - 228 points

Current position: SHORT all indexes.

More PAIN ahead. 😰

-NT

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #315 on: December 08, 2018, 03:34:48 AM »
lol

Keep laughing “gym rat”. 🐀

Soon you’ll be panicking.

- NT

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #316 on: December 08, 2018, 07:48:26 AM »

- NT

Nah...lol

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #317 on: December 08, 2018, 07:53:22 AM »

- NT

Bigger question....when they market crashes and SHTF, are you prepared? Cash won't be worth shit, gold and guns will rule the day once again. 8)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #318 on: December 08, 2018, 04:01:31 PM »
Bigger question....when they market crashes and SHTF, are you prepared? Cash won't be worth shit, gold and guns will rule the day once again. 8)

You're even more messed up than I thought.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #319 on: December 08, 2018, 05:00:43 PM »
You're even more messed up than I thought.
You think the government will protect you when those drug addicted, Antifa losers run out of bread and start climbing over the fence in your lily white neighborhood? :D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #320 on: December 09, 2018, 02:21:20 AM »
You think the government will protect you when those drug addicted, Antifa losers run out of bread and start climbing over the fence in your lily white neighborhood? :D

Yes. The West Linn police and private security are ever vigilant. :) Antifa will never get by the West Linn boundries.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #321 on: December 09, 2018, 08:12:25 AM »
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Every brother ain't a brother.
« Reply #322 on: December 09, 2018, 09:08:21 AM »
Taking charge and making decisions about money is very stressful for some people.  

It's easy to abdicate the responsibility of your money to a pseudo-professional advisor.

You feel better because you put the onus on that person to make your decisions for you.  Oz knows all.

You don't have to think about it.  

Some guy or woman who doesn't have a nickel and is in hock up to their azz will solicit you by mail or phone or be sitting behind a desk at your local financial institution.  They will be glad to offer you their wisdom for a %.

Ask to see their personal portfolio to see how smart they are.  Money talks, BS walks.

Seriously, ask to see their portfolio.  

If they're so smart why are they working at Acme Federal Savings Bank?

How is some 26 year old kid at ABC Investments going to advise you on buying stocks?

40 years old?  Even a better reason to ask them.

There may be some technical decisions they can help with but choosing investments, personal finance. etc?  

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Take some time to educate yourself.  It's well-worth it.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #324 on: December 09, 2018, 11:45:16 AM »
Uncle Sam's Misguided Children. ::) Seriously?

Read this, https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/2018/12/portland-likely-to-withdraw-from-fbi-anti-terror-operation.html and this, https://www.opb.org/news/article/oregon-portland-terrorism-task-force-fbi-withdrawal-discussion/
How does the article/opinion piece I quoted differ from the two articles you just posted?
Hint: there is no difference. Portland is pulling out of JTTF, hope you like those Antifa terrorists jumping your lily white fence. :D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!