Author Topic: I am a physical wreck  (Read 25674 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
Re: I am a physical wreck
« Reply #175 on: July 08, 2018, 11:05:21 AM »
Are you on statins because they can cause all kinds of the problems you have described.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #176 on: July 08, 2018, 04:42:57 PM »
Are you on statins because they can cause all kinds of the problems you have described.

I am on a statin. Have been for 36 years. It would be a major shock to my system if I quit taking it.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #177 on: July 08, 2018, 05:46:54 PM »
Statins lower cholesterol but there is no real evidence lower cholesterol has any benefit and statins can have bad side effects.

If Pellius is on statins they could be causing him problems.  He has a lot of problems.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #178 on: July 08, 2018, 06:38:06 PM »
Which affect like 1% of users. They've been proven to lower LDL and raise HDL, which have A LOT to do with health. What sides? I take lipitor 10mg and don't feel any different. Cite your shit, man, this is sloppy generalization that we see on CNN and other fake news.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #179 on: July 08, 2018, 06:48:53 PM »
Lots of broscience in this thread. Thank goodness Pellius does his own research.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #180 on: July 09, 2018, 02:40:33 AM »
Statins lower cholesterol but there is no real evidence lower cholesterol has any benefit and statins can have bad side effects.

If Pellius is on statins they could be causing him problems.  He has a lot of problems.

I am not, nor have ever been, on statins. My cholesterol is always on the low side and so is my blood pressure. My issues with pain have nothing to do with internal function. It's worn out joints. Something that happens to everyone to varying degrees as they get older. You don't have to lift weights or do MMA to end up needing knee replacement. The vast majority of knee replacements are done on just ordinary people that have just gotten old.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #181 on: July 09, 2018, 02:46:05 AM »
Which affect like 1% of users. They've been proven to lower LDL and raise HDL, which have A LOT to do with health. What sides? I take lipitor 10mg and don't feel any different. Cite your shit, man, this is sloppy generalization that we see on CNN and other fake news.

The one thing I remember is that statins while it inhibits the production of cholesterol it also inhibits the production of Co Q10.

https://www.healthline.com/health/coq10-and-statins

chrisbro

• Getbig III
« Reply #182 on: July 09, 2018, 02:48:56 AM »
Lots of broscience in this thread. Thank goodness Pellius does his own research.
says the Right one. your broscience is the worst.  ::)

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #183 on: July 09, 2018, 02:56:31 AM »
I remember a doctor explaining that the common way to measure cholesterol is not the most accurate and not an ideal measure for cardiovascular risks. This is most commonly done because it's much cheaper than the more accurate way. I wish I remembered the terms used for both methods. An analogy would be that, say, your artery is a freeway and cars and passengers represent cholesterol. The first, less accurate way, measures the amount of passengers on the freeway. The second, the much better way, measure the amount of actual vehicles on the freeway. Of course there is a correlation. The more passengers you have is an indication to how many vehicles there are, but, as the saying goes, correlation is not causation. It's the amount of actual vehicles on the freeway that determines how things flow. Having one vehicle carrying six passengers causes less obstruction than six cars carrying one passenger each.

When I get time I'll try to look it up so I'll know what each test is called and maybe it can be recommended to your doctor for you next blood test.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #184 on: July 09, 2018, 12:10:31 PM »
The one thing I remember is that statins while it inhibits the production of cholesterol it also inhibits the production of Co Q10.

https://www.healthline.com/health/coq10-and-statins

Which is why CoQ10 is one of the supplements I take daily.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #185 on: July 09, 2018, 12:12:37 PM »
Shut up dummy.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #186 on: July 12, 2018, 01:09:24 PM »
Visceral fat = DANGEROUS  ;)

No it's not. An over abundance maybe but not visceral fat by definition.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #187 on: July 12, 2018, 01:43:31 PM »
I think I can now graduate from Medical School  after reading all this stuff.

Has there ever been any "bro-science" stuff that has been mediacally proven to be accurate and useful?

I always consider Bro-science to be associated with stupidity, but I'm stupid enough to be proven wrong.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #188 on: July 12, 2018, 02:10:54 PM »
No it's not. An over abundance maybe but not visceral fat by definition.

Correct, and cigarettes are not bad if you only smoke one every ten years.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #189 on: July 13, 2018, 12:52:23 PM »
Correct, and cigarettes are not bad if you only smoke one every ten years.

Zero cigarettes and zero visceral fat, makes sense to me.  :D

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #190 on: July 13, 2018, 04:08:43 PM »
They're not without their price to pay, but when your tris and ldl are as high as mine and hdl is kissing the pavement, diet and exercise can only get you so far and I do both already after 15 years of gear, mike matarazzo-style dinners, stress, 3 hrs of sleep, etc.
do you have a family history of heart disease?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #191 on: July 13, 2018, 07:35:40 PM »
It has been three day's since I've had any alcohol to drink. I've yet to have any noticeable withdrawal symptoms and I feel pretty good much like I did a few days ago. I do not miss the scotch yet. I'm anxious to see what the upcoming days and weeks hold.

One of the reasons I'm not drinking is because Coach's low carb diet looks like a plan. - Can't very well reduce carbs when drinking several shots of scotch on an almost nightly basis, often as much as 12-13 oz in an evening. From what I've been read, the fact that I don't experience hangovers is not a good thing. It just means I have a high tolerance to alcohol and that can mean I've been drinking too much and for too long.

I read today that detox can make a person cranky. We me, that might be hard to tell, since I'm so rarely ever cranky. ::) I have been sleeping a lot less which is a feature of detox.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #192 on: July 18, 2018, 07:40:27 PM »

Could be, could be a lot of things. Co worker of mine was having chronic aches and pains.. 55 years old.. went to the docs numerous times, they ran a million tests, turns out.. the baby aspirin he was taking everyday was causing his issues. He stopped and about 4 days later he was much better. Who would have thought that? Besides Dr. House after 2 prior guesses.

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #193 on: July 18, 2018, 07:59:09 PM »
Could be, could be a lot of things. Co worker of mine was having chronic aches and pains.. 55 years old.. went to the docs numerous times, they ran a million tests, turns out.. the baby aspirin he was taking everyday was causing his issues. He stopped and about 4 days later he was much better. Who would have thought that? Besides Dr. House after 2 prior guesses.

Did they explain why it was contributing to his aches and pains? I worked in the cardiovascular products industry forever and have always taken a baby aspirin at least  four or five times a week (since my 20's).

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #194 on: July 18, 2018, 08:18:18 PM »
I think I can now graduate from Medical School  after reading all this stuff.

Has there ever been any "bro-science" stuff that has been mediacally proven to be accurate and useful?

I always consider Bro-science to be associated with stupidity, but I'm stupid enough to be proven wrong.

Depends what we call Bro-science. To me it is all the anecdotal experiences passed on as something that worked.

Trouble is there could be many factors involved in bodybuilding and health. Plus we have individual differences, histories, etc.

Sure, we can listen to what others have to say about themselves, etc., but that isn't science.

Realize that medicine is part science and art....the art via diagnosing ailments. Good medicine should be

based on tested findings via science.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #195 on: July 18, 2018, 08:38:00 PM »
Did they explain why it was contributing to his aches and pains? I worked in the cardiovascular products industry forever and have always taken a baby aspirin at least  four or five times a week (since my 20's).

I take it as well and have no adverse affects. For him, the baby aspirin was causing a negative reaction. He may have had an allergy