Author Topic: Apparently to climb MT Everest costs a minimum of $50k!  (Read 5609 times)

lightweight83

• Getbig IV
Re: Apparently to climb MT Everest costs a minimum of $50k!
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2018, 12:50:24 PM »
They're actually used as markers for the climbers.

J

I knew there were quite a few bodies (still wearing their original gear) on the mountain, but do they really use them as markers?  Pretty morbid, but I'd honestly assume the climbers would want it that way. 

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2018, 12:57:48 PM »
Interesting! I did not know that, JAGO.

There are a number of great books that some GetBiggers may be interested in regarding the climb to the top of the world.

Here are a few which I suggest:

TOUCHING MY FATHER’s SOUL provides insight into the culture and beliefs of the Sherpas, as well as the 1996 expedition that went so horribly wrong.

INTO THIN AIR  about  that disastrous day in May 1996, when eight  climbers died in a blizzard near the summit.

THE CLIMB … A response to some accusations made in the book INTO THIN AIR.

NO SUMMIT OUT OF SIGHT … A controversial book by a 13 year old who climbed to the top. I believe that the controversy is that he was only 13.

INTO THE SILENCE ... ??

LEFT FOR DEAD … BY Beck Weathers who was left for dead in the 1996 climb.

DEAD LUCKY .. Another book which I believe was written by Beck Weathers.

A lot of controversy and accusations in these books  regarding that May 1996 catastrophy!

Good reads!

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2018, 05:36:37 PM »
DIABLO, YSS, it is possible to take a helicopter ride to the top of Everest ....

ACCORDING TO NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC.com ....The record for the highest helicopter landing was shattered in 2005 when test pilot Didier Delsalle landed his turbo engine AS350 B3 helicopter on the top of Mount Everest.

The best time to make that trip  would be two weeks in May ... but I have no idea as to whom you would contact to make a reservation nor do I know what two weeks in May are best.

Nor do I know if it would be cheaper to fly there tnan to walk/climb there.

Nor how many days either mode of transportation would take.

One day via helicopter? Several weeks on foot?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2018, 07:35:51 PM »
Use to be incredibly dangerous and so physically hard the climbers were top athletes in their climbing.  Now the tech is making it so chubby soccer moms can do it. Next thing you know they will have an escalator to the top with stops at McDonalds along the accent.

bigkid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2018, 05:32:17 AM »
Use to be incredibly dangerous and so physically hard the climbers where top athletes in their climbing.  Now the tech is making it so chubby soccer moms can do it. Next thing you know they will have an escalator to the top with stops at McDonalds along the accent.
I think that's a little bit of hyperbole.  Everest is grueling and not for novices.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2018, 05:46:46 AM »
Use to be incredibly dangerous and so physically hard the climbers where top athletes in their climbing.  Now the tech is making it so chubby soccer moms can do it. Next thing you know they will have an escalator to the top with stops at McDonalds along the accent.

Staying alive has become easier,maybe. Modern materials like gortex, waterproof down and such. But what tech has made it easier to climb?

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2018, 07:42:23 AM »
I have heard that there are still a large number of deceased climbers up there who are never coming back.

Is it possible that there are still 200+ bodies up there or is that merely the number of people who died making the summit attempt.

yes the bodies are still there

Notomorrow

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2018, 09:39:45 AM »
At $100,000 you didn't climb Everest, you visited it.

kreator

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2018, 10:33:42 AM »
You know no black person went up there cause all those frozen bodies still have boots on

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2018, 04:22:37 PM »
Staying alive has become easier,maybe. Modern materials like gortex, waterproof down and such. But what tech has made it easier to climb?

GPS tracking to take the easiest routes. They basically winged it back then. Warmer clothing.  Better foot wear. Supplies and gear being pre dropped off at different points. Paying more people to carry your gear to the top.

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2018, 05:48:22 PM »
I watched a documentary about mountaineering. The getbigger of mountaineering (forget his name) said that Everest is for pussies who like to brag about being a  climber, real men climb K2.

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2018, 06:03:09 PM »
I watched a program all day some years ago and had/have a desire to do it. I think it would be awesome. 

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2018, 07:44:44 PM »

It has nothing to do with cold weather....its the altitude that will kill you.   You are up 30k feet.   Man was not meant to survive at that heights.   Sherpas are there because they adapted to those highs living their since B.C.   However, even they can get fucked.

Things that can fucking kill you on Mt Everest Other Than Freezing:

Avalanche
Injury from fall
Ice collapse
Oxygen tank depleted if you use them (most do)
Brain hemorrhage
Mountain sickness
Getting crushed under the serec or crevice
Heart Attack
Suspended upside down for too long
Exhaustion
Drowning (Yes you can drown)
Cerebral Edema (HACE)
Dehydration
Cerebral apoplexy
Stroke
HAPE (High Altitude Puluminary Edema)

And you can still freeze to death.  You can spend 50k to attempt it but dying is absolutely free with your purchase.   Only fucktards climb mountains

A

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2018, 08:29:08 PM »
I watched a documentary about mountaineering. The getbigger of mountaineering (forget his name) said that Everest is for pussies who like to brag about being a  climber, real men climb K2.

Getbiggers can climb the highest mountains with one arm and one leg.
X

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2018, 09:30:34 PM »
The icefall from base camp to camp 1 is a dodgy section because of the falling ice.

Climbers pass through 11 times or something on a trip but sherpas do it 50 times or something crazy as they move gear and fix ropes and many sherpas get taken out in that spot.

There was a massive blowup between climbers and sherpas not to long ago. Sherpas were fixing ropes and a climber came up and wanted to go past. They told him to go back, dude got pissed off, they got pissed off and then it was almost a riot at base camp.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2018, 10:27:22 PM »
Nobody forced them to sherp for a living.

Exactly. People who claim that others are underpaid simply do not understand economics and the free market.

Everybody always wants to pay less. Everybody always want to be paid more. When a transaction is agreed to it's because that is the best deal they could find. A sherpa can ask for $1,000 dollars and you are free to pay it, but if another sherpa offers his service for $500 you should be free to pay that as well.

People complain about cashiers making squat at their jobs but those complainers are free to toss them a few extra bucks for their hard work. This poor girl at the Dairy Queen in the mall was working her butt off so I was happy to put an extra fiver in her hand for being so polite under so much stress. More people should do this instead of complaining about what they think OTHERS should pay.

BTW, Oreo Royal Blizzard at DQ is amazing!

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2018, 05:29:30 PM »

It has nothing to do with cold weather....its the altitude that will kill you.   You are up 30k feet.   Man was not meant to survive at that heights.   Sherpas are there because they adapted to those highs living their since B.C.   However, even they can get fucked.

Things that can fucking kill you on Mt Everest Other Than Freezing:

Avalanche
Injury from fall
Ice collapse
Oxygen tank depleted if you use them (most do)
Brain hemorrhage
Mountain sickness
Getting crushed under the serec or crevice
Heart Attack
Suspended upside down for too long
Exhaustion
Drowning (Yes you can drown)
Cerebral Edema (HACE)
Dehydration
Cerebral apoplexy
Stroke
HAPE (High Altitude Puluminary Edema)

And you can still freeze to death.  You can spend 50k to attempt it but dying is absolutely free with your purchase.   Only fucktards climb mountains

I was replying to the comment that modern technology has made it easier. I was asking for an example of what and how, not this useless info.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2018, 07:28:56 PM »
Do you think there more casulties going up or coming down?

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2018, 07:39:01 PM »
Rather do free styling rock climbing

Tha Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2018, 02:59:41 AM »
Sometimes you get the elevator, sometimes you get the Sherpa

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2018, 08:29:05 AM »
PELLIUS, Going up or going down casualties!

Interesting question!

But it appears at first glance that casualties going down is the winner.

This is based on the supposedly fact that too damn many climbers reach the top at the same time on the same day which causes a delay while heading back down within the immediate vicinity of Hillery's Step in which each 'descender' must traverse individually.

I believe that was one of the major factors involved in that 1996 catastrophy .... as those at the top could not get down fast enough to avoid the oncoming storm which caused  a white-out and the eventual death of many. (8 ... I believe it was?)

I believe that it was this catastrophy that caused a number of 'rules' which limited the number of climbers who could 'visit ' the summit at any one time.

And ... An avalanche caused the death of a number of Sherpers but I don't know if they were going up or going down.

I'm sure that here must be some accurate statistics of  Everest interest someplace on this here internet.

I assume that you all realize that there is only a two week window during the month of May in which a successful summit is recommended.

So it's possible to get pretty damn crowded up there!

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2018, 09:02:03 AM »
As expected ... there is a web-sitr that collects Everest Climb statistics.

If interested go to  ...climbing@alanarnette.com and also check out the link to the HIMALAYAN Stats which contain an immense amount of up to date details.

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2018, 11:03:15 AM »
Do you think there more casulties going up or coming down?

If its deaths due to the person giving up rather than an act of nature, then itd be down.

One of the climbers in a doco had a good saying, getting to the top is optional but getting down is compulsory.

People push hard to get to the top leaving nothing to get back down so they die coming back, usually near the top. It's all sorts of fucked up, lack of oxygen and altitude sends them batty so those people are not thinking normally.