Author Topic: “We’ve gone in with this cavalier attitude, that a calorie is a calorie, but..."  (Read 3384 times)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Kind of. Inefficient means more work is being done than is necessary. More work = More calories burned.

Well, no. There's nothing 'thermic' about sugar, hfcs, or any high GI carb. I think you're confusing nutritionally inefficient (poorly nourishing but high calorie) with metabolically inefficient (calorie content reduced by metabolic processes), and I'm pretty sure you're doing it to annoy me.  >:(

Look and see. There are tons of malnourished fat people lumbering around. There really is such a thing as empty calories. And if you're dieting it's real important to make good nutritional use of the calories you've allotted yourself.

If you just like yummy things then eat 'em up and tell everyone that you're a powerlifter. But a sage fellow here said years ago, and correctly, that if you haven't seen your abs in a few years then you're not a bodybuilder.

*meltdown intensifies*

And never mind about the bodybuilders. What about every performance athlete in the world? I'm sure you can find a story about someone eating a Big Mac but do you really believe Olympians (the real ones, I mean) are paying no attention to macros and micros? Are UFC guys KFC guys? Shit no. Or how about non athletes? Just coincidence that the lower classes who subsist on crap also look like crap, while the macrobiotic whole foods crowd are fitter and healthier?

Do an experiment. Eat clean for a month. Don't hem & haw and get lost in the minutiae. You know pretty much what that means. You won't be the worse off for it so what have you got to lose?

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
 I don’t doubt the value of nutrition for overall health, especially in the long run, however, from what I’ve seen, it’s overrated for athletic performance.  It comes down to talent and training with nutrition being a distant third.

I recently heard a podcast with an Olympic gold medalist, Mathew Centrowitz who admitted that his diet was shit and that he’s just starting to pay attention to nutrition. I also heard one with the current United States marathon champion who says he eats pizza all the time. So we’re not talking about isolated incidents here. Usain Bolt is known for not paying much attention to nutrition.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
I don’t doubt the value of nutrition for overall health, especially in the long run, however, from what I’ve seen, it’s overrated for athletic performance.  It comes down to talent and training with nutrition being a distant third.

I recently heard a podcast with an Olympic gold medalist, Mathew Centrowitz who admitted that his diet was shit and that he’s just starting to pay attention to nutrition. I also heard one with the current United States marathon champion who says he eats pizza all the time. So we’re not talking about isolated incidents here. Usain Bolt is known for not paying much attention to nutrition.

Me vs Usain Bolt, ya, all the tuna and cottage cheese in the world isn't going to change the outcome.

But me vs me, I recover better and feel better with high protein when dieting. I can be full all day and still in calorie debt but if I shovel down a double quarter pounder at lunch I'll be hungry at night if I stick to my calories.

I do believe the rules relax when coasting or gaining. I like cheeses and butter sauces and will indulge. Scotch and wine. As far as drive thru food goes tho, I really don't dig it. Never got how TA would push big macs as yummy.

Anyway, forgive my obsession. It's just what gets me through the day best as a construction guy. I'm working on calisthenics (iron cross, maltese, planche, front lever),  going for the health look without extra pounds, so am in dieter mode.

Wes is the guru tho. He had tons of write ups including one on carb cycling.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
So, if the body can’t process processed foods as efficiently, it would stand to reason that your body is using more energy to process these foods and burning more calories. So, processed foods will make you leaner than the same amount of clean food?

That would explain why there's a fit and lean epidemic plaguing society. But another crazier option could be that the body would only process a fraction of the calories.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
Eat more calories than you burn, you get fat.

Eat less, you get leaner.

Fat people are not malnourished. They are over-nourished.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud

That would explain why there's a fit and lean epidemic plaguing society. But another crazier option could be that the body would only process a fraction of the calories.

The obesity epidemic is a result of over consumption. There’s a difference between eating a couple of cookies and the whole box, a slice of pizza and half the pie.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Eat more calories than you burn, you get fat.

Eat less, you get leaner.

Fat people are not malnourished. They are over-nourished.
over-nourished............eating a ton of excess foods would hardly qualify as being  over-nourished.

I hope you`re  trolling.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
Sounds like witchcraft/homeopathy to the Hulkotron

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
And it is rare to find carbohydrates and fat in the same food in nature

What?  Really?  What about milk?  What about avocados and olives?  What about coconut, peanuts, cashews, and all other nuts and seeds? 

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Stupid thread makes stupid claims

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox

On a diet of some meat (fish, monkeys, tarantulas and other insects) and plenty of carbs (plantains, mangoes, corn, yucca, etc.).

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

On a diet of some meat (fish, monkeys, tarantulas and other insects) and plenty of carbs (plantains, mangoes, corn, yucca, etc.).
Sounds yummy !!  LOL  ;D

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
The obesity epidemic is a result of over consumption. There’s a difference between eating a couple of cookies and the whole box, a slice of pizza and half the pie.

Which is precisely what the study is looking at.  Are there triggers for overconsumption that can be explained beyond a lack of self-control?

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
What?  Really?  What about milk?  What about avocados and olives?  What about coconut, peanuts, cashews, and all other nuts and seeds? 

I highlighted that passage for the wank and it still took more than a page and a half for someone to latch on to it. Still, rare does not mean non-existent. That's still a pretty limited number of examples considering the scope of available foods.

Carbs which were not part of ultraprocessed food.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
over-nourished............eating a ton of excess foods would hardly qualify as being  over-nourished.

I hope you`re  trolling.

No, I'm serious.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
All righty then.