Author Topic: The Devotionals Thread  (Read 234693 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Re: The Devotionals Thread
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2006, 06:32:03 AM »
LEAVE ROOM FOR GOD
by J.M. Farro

"Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, 'Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,' says the Lord."  Romans 12:19 NASB

Yesterday, I stepped out my front door to receive a delivery, and I couldn't help but notice that someone had thrown raw eggs at my house.  A shudder ran through me as I recalled the vicious attacks against our home and property that my family had endured in years past.  Things had been blissfully quiet for the most part in recent years, and I had almost forgotten about our former troubles with some of our neighbors.  As I fought back tears of hurt and frustration, I sensed the Lord telling me that I had two choices before me:  I could either seek revenge and retaliation against the guilty party, or I could prayerfully put the matter in God's hands, trusting Him to execute justice for me.  It didn't take long for me to make a firm decision to let the Lord fight this battle for me.  My husband, on the other hand, decided that he wanted revenge.

The Bible says: "When angry, do not sin; do not ever let your wrath (your exasperation, your fury or indignation) last until the sun goes down.  Leave no [such] room or foothold for the devil [give no opportunity to him]." (Ephesians 4:26-27 AMP)  There are times when we'll be attacked, and the Lord will give us some time to simmer down.  But He won't give us much time.  Scripture indicates that if we don't let go of our "wrath" quickly--at least by the end of the day--then we are "leaving room for the devil."  In other words, we are opening the door for Satan and his evil forces to come into our lives and "steal, kill, and destroy." (John 10:10)  It may sound like God is being unreasonable by asking us to "get over [our] anger quickly," as one translation says.  But the truth is, He doesn't want us to make ourselves vulnerable to satanic attack.  If my husband really thought about it, he would recall that whenever he stayed angry at our hostile neighbors in the past, our problems only multiplied.  As I look back, I have no doubt that we gave the devil an open invitation to wreak havoc in our lives by holding on to our wrath and indignation for too long.

Whenever someone hurts or attacks us, we have to decide if we are going to "leave room" for the devil's involvement--or for God's.  Scripture says:  "Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: 'It is mine to avenge; I will repay,' says the Lord." (Romans 12:19 NIV)  Our God is a God of justice (Isaiah 30:18), but He reserves the right to exact that justice in His way and timing.  By refusing to take our own revenge in a situation, and by prayerfully and purposefully putting the matter into God's hands, we open the door for Him to render the devil helpless, and to work the situation out for our good. (Romans 8:28)  It's important for us to remember that just because we let someone "off the hook" in obedience to the Lord, it doesn't mean that they are off God's hook.  As we fight our battles God's way, you can bet that He'll deal with those who wrong us, even if He doesn't allow us to see exactly how He does that. 

As I watched my husband laboring to clean the egg mess off our house, I sensed the Lord saying to me, "Find something to thank Me for in this situation."  I thought about His scriptural command which says:  "Thank [God] in everything [no matter what the circumstances may be; be thankful and give thanks], for this is the will of God for you [who are] in Christ Jesus." (1 Thessalonians 5:18 AMP)  So I began to thank the Lord that even though some of the eggs had hit our glass windows, none of them had been broken.  As I shared my gratitude with my husband, his anger began to subside.  Even he had to admit that it was a miracle that there wasn't more damage to our house, and that we had a lot to be thankful for.  We finally both agreed to trust God to handle the matter, and to "leave room" for Him to act on our behalf.   

Lord, when I'm hurt or attacked in some way, show me if there's some constructive action I can take, or if it's Your will for me to simply "be still." (Exodus 14:14)  Remind me that when I choose to react with unrestrained anger or revenge, I open the door to the destructive forces of darkness.  Thank You that as I leave room for You and Your justice, I will experience supernatural safety and deliverance!

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2006, 03:26:45 PM »
Ok, this is not so much a devotional as such, but it is something to ponder.

A colleague of mine in Texas sent me an eMail... you know those emails you get that are really more of a pain-in-the-derriere, clogging up your email, ...then requesting you send it on to someone else?  :-\

Ya well  I got one of those, ...but this one was so nice, I had to make it into a webpage and put it up on my site.

Please click here to view it.

Namaste,
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2006, 06:43:08 AM »
The Willingness to Wound
Pastor Bob Coy (The Active Word)

Open rebuke is better Than love carefully concealed. Faithful are the wounds of a friend, But the kisses of an enemy are deceitful. (Proverbs 27:5-6 NKJV)

What does a healthy friendship look like? It doesn't always resemble sunny skies and smooth sailing. But a truly healthy friendship, one based on God's love, will sometimes include a word of rebuke or a charge of correction. Solomon captures this concept in the expression the wounds of a friend. Initially, it sounds like a contradiction of terms--a friend and wounds just don't seem like they go together. Yet they do when we understand two important truths.

First, we need to recognize that none of us is perfect. As human beings, we are part of a ruined race. Sin has stormed in and become a part of our condition. It's on our hard drive, so to speak (Romans 5:12). And with this understanding, we see that all people, including our friends, have built-in flaws that cause them to fall short of God's will for their lives.

Second, we must understand something about the nature of love. There's a fierce side of love that we seldom talk about. It's displayed when someone is willing to rise up and fight on behalf of a loved one. I would question a husband's love for his wife if he simply stood by while another man came along and started hitting on her. Love protects, love acts, love fights for what it loves because it looks on and says, That's valuable to me.

When we put these two truths together, we start to see the importance of a friend's wounds. We all have built-in faults and flaws by virtue of our fallen human nature. But a true friend is willing to fight for another friend's spiritual condition. There's a willingness to wound the unspiritual flesh of the other, not out of hate, but out of a desire to see the spiritual health of the friend preserved. Wise friends not only will wound when necessary, but also will be grateful for the wounds they receive in the name of friendship.

DIG - Why are the wounds of a friend necessary?

DISCOVER - When was the last time you were wounded by a friend who had your best spiritual interests at heart? How did you react?

DISPLAY - Give someone whom you trust as a spiritual friend the right and responsibility to wound you when he or she sees a need for it.

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2006, 06:33:50 AM »
I apologize for my ignorance, but is a devotional more of a story with a moral theme rahter than a straight out prayer? 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2006, 08:41:25 AM »
I'm only speaking for myself hear, but I view devotionals as personal thoughts/reflections about what the scriptures say.  For me, I usually will write about something that's happened in my personal life that a verse or verses of scripture relates to. 

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2006, 03:12:17 PM »
ok, thanks

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2006, 10:18:45 PM »
Turning Lemons into Lemonade

"It is extremely unpleasant to be the object of malicious and unjust criticism, but since this cannot be avoided, try at least to gain something by learning to use it. When you are unfairly criticized, tell yourself that these are ideal conditions in which to fortify yourself. One day you will come out on top, and your attackers will be put to shame. While they were busy plotting against you, not only did they fail to improve themselves, they actually grew weaker, whereas you became stronger.

When people are secure and tranquil they make no effort, and this is not a desirable state. When you come to this degree of understanding, you will agree that, despite appearances, those who are unfairly criticized are in the better position. But only on one condition: that they refuse to simply endure these inequities and instead learn to make use of them."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2006, 04:07:04 PM »
Advantages of the Inner World

"It is easy to study the physical world: we can weigh, measure and draw the contours of every element, and we readily agree about numbers and forms. But the psychic world, the inner world, is another matter. How can we map the regions of the soul and spirit? How can we measure and weigh states of consciousness or draw the contours of thoughts and feelings?

But this is precisely the advantage of the inner world: because there is nothing material in it, it is safe from external attack. If, whatever the circumstances, you learn to give priority to the inner life, to the spiritual life, no one will have any hold over your thoughts, your feelings or your beliefs.

Even if they take away your work and everything that belongs to you and lock you in prison, they cannot prevent you from feeling free and from continuing to reflect, pray and experiment in your inner laboratories."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2006, 09:05:56 AM »
Human love isn't enough! 

www.rbc.org/odb/odb-12-11-02.shtml

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2006, 06:48:07 PM »
Awakening to Love

"Since sensual love is merely a satisfaction of selfish needs, it brings with it no light, no revelations. Spiritual love, however, awakens an entire body of knowledge that has lain dormant in man and comes to light again.

Try to observe how the different manifestations of your love affect you. In this domain, human beings ordinarily use strong sensations as their criteria. But the opposite is true: it is through the finest, most subtle manifestations of love that you will grow, that you will become wise, intelligent and powerful.

Understand that it is essential for you to go beyond this stage of mere sensation in order to penetrate the mysteries of the universe and intensify your inner light. Love can lead you there, but only if you cease to think of it simply as a momentary excitement. "

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2006, 04:53:44 PM »
On Belief in Jesus

"Jesus said: ‘The one who believes in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will do greater works than these’, because he considered every human being to be identical in nature, in essence, to himself. Why have Christians neglected this aspect of his teaching? Because, quite simply, they are lazy and don’t want to make the slightest effort to follow in Jesus’ footsteps. They say: ‘He was the Son of God, so of course he was perfect. It’s only natural that he would demonstrate exceptional knowledge, virtues and powers. While we, poor wretches, with our imperfect and sinful nature, we are weak, egotistical and wicked.’ No, this is no argument. All human beings are sons and daughters of God, just as Jesus was a son of God. The only difference is that Jesus was conscious of his divine nature and destiny. He had already worked in this respect during his previous incarnations, and he came to earth with immense potential and a very clear idea of his mission. But in order to fulfil this mission, he too had to accomplish a tremendous inner work."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2006, 04:56:27 PM »
interesting view points posted jag

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2006, 10:21:06 PM »
Aïvanov was an old Bulgarian monk whose teachings seem to ring a certain truth for me. I believe truth, is timeless and enduring, and will be relevant to our lives regardless of the era. If modern "religion" or the teachings thereof aren't relevant to our lives, then there is a problem with that "religion" and what it teaches.

Aïvanhov wrote volumes upon volumes on so many different subjects. You could lock yourself up for 5 yrs and still not finish everything, and I find his teachings to be as valid and as relevant to modern 21st century life, as they are to 18th century life, ...and by extension, even biblical times.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2006, 10:31:14 PM »
On Divine Revelation

"Surely you have had a truth revealed to you as an illumination. With lightning speed, something passed through you and overturned all your previous convictions and ways of perceiving the world. Yes, but to feel your entire being shaken by a revelation does not mean it has so penetrated your psychic matter that you are immediately able to live in accordance with it. You have been dazzled, you have penetrated a mystery, but this does not mean you can claim to have understood. All sorts of signs in your everyday behaviour demonstrate that this is not yet entirely the case. Only when you succeed in manifesting what you claim to have understood do you truly understand."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2006, 10:34:48 PM »
On the Desire for Recognition

"Because the entire world is not there to appreciate their ideas, their sentiments and their endeavours, many people feel abandoned and alone. They complain that no one understands them or takes any notice of them. But let them be consoled! If they really have so much good in them, they should know that the angels, the luminous spirits of nature and even the Lord himself understand them. Isn’t that enough for them? Why do they insist that people come in hordes to congratulate and admire them? If the poor unfortunates only knew how dangerous their desires were! It is as if they wanted to attract flies, and we know what they do: they leave their little signatures everywhere! It is as if they wanted to attract thieves, and they will soon be robbed! Ask celebrities if their fame doesn’t have its drawbacks! So don’t complain that you are unknown and misunderstood. Besides, with such an attitude, you prevent others from appreciating you. Be happy that heaven understands you, and try instead to understand others. If there really is so much good in you, sooner or later people will recognize it."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2006, 05:37:10 PM »
On the Creation of Heaven ...on Earth

"Even the most powerful entities of the divine world cannot act directly on earth. Why? Because they are not made of physical matter. In order for them to intervene, human beings themselves must give them the opportunity. As long as there is no traitor within to let the enemy pass, a fortress will remain impenetrable. A traitor is therefore essential! You will say, of course, that there is nothing admirable about this role, but in certain situations it is not bad, either. Since the earth is like a fortress whose occupants are opposed to admitting luminous spirits, traitors are necessary to open the gates.

On earth, human beings are as powerful as all the armies of heaven, and when they want to stand up to these armies, nothing can stop them. This is why heaven seeks traitors, or allies if you like, who agree to let them pass. Spiritualists are just that: allies, thanks to whom heaven can infiltrate this fortress called earth and transform everything."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2006, 10:28:06 AM »
Lamentations 3:22,23 (NIV)

22 Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed,
       for his compassions never fail.

23 They are new every morning;
       great is your faithfulness.

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases,
His mercies never come to an end,
They are new every morning,
New every morning
Great is Thy faithfulness, oh Lord
Great is Thy faithfulness

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2006, 03:29:03 AM »
On Human Knowledge & Discovery

"In descending to explore matter, humans forgot their divine origin, and they no longer remember the life they once lived in the heart of the Eternal, nor how luminous, beautiful and powerful they were. They are now preoccupied with the earth, which they increasingly exploit and ravage in an attempt to possess and dominate it. They have gone so far in this direction that they are going to be forced to turn back, and instead of endlessly fixing their attention on the outer world, they will once again take up the path of inner exploration. They will lose none of the knowledge they have acquired over the centuries – their descent into matter will remain an extraordinary accomplishment – but they will not stop there. They will go on to discover other regions even more essential and profound."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2006, 03:33:20 AM »
On The Sun as a Role Model

"Great, noble and pure beings have lived and still live on earth, but, whatever their qualities, no creature can compare with the sun in terms of light, love and generosity. For the earth, the sun is the sole expression of the greatness of God, and we must take it as our model.

People are so often weak, confused, sad and ill-tempered because they do not have something infinite for an ideal. Their ideal is to be like a certain member of their family, a politician, an actor or a millionaire. But what sort of models are these? Look at their weaknesses, their anxieties and their disorder! Whereas the sun… nothing can compare with it. If you take it as your model, your intellect will benefit from its light, your heart from its warmth and your spirit from its power. And above all, like the sun, you will become generous."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov

w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2006, 03:36:45 AM »
The Immensity of Man

"When a man undertakes to create something, he establishes a new heaven, as it were, and from it the work that he desires to create flows into him... For such is the immensity of man that he is greater than heaven and earth."

-- Philipus Aureolus Paracelsus
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2006, 07:53:26 AM »
The Immensity of Man

"When a man undertakes to create something, he establishes a new heaven, as it were, and from it the work that he desires to create flows into him... For such is the immensity of man that he is greater than heaven and earth."

-- Philipus Aureolus Paracelsus

huh?  ???

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2006, 08:29:37 AM »
Devotional for Friday Jul 14, 2006:
Admitting Failure

Greg Laurie
Senior Pastor
Harvest Christian Fellowship
Riverside, Ca

They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing.   
—John 21:3

It was a familiar scene. The disciples had been fishing all night, but caught nothing. Then they hear a voice from the shore call out, "Children, have you any food?" (John 21:5).

The word "children" used here could also be translated "boys." Both terms would normally be used by a parent or an authority figure. I wonder if Peter thought, Who is he calling boys? We are men. Why is he even talking to us? It's not his business.

But John, always the perceptive one, recognized that it was Jesus. But why did the Lord ask them this question? The point was to show them their own need. He wanted them to admit their failure: "We caught nothing." It isn't that this was the biggest failure you could ever have. After all, we have all had this happen when we have gone fishing. But Jesus was using their empty nets to illustrate a larger point.

God will do the same with us. Before we can find restoration, before we can find forgiveness, we have to admit our failure. That is really hard for some people. We don't like to admit we have failed. It seems like more people are willing to say, "I'm sick" than "I'm sorry," or "I have sinned." We have become a nation of dysfunctional victims with all kinds of imaginary diseases. It seems like no one wants to take responsibility for their actions any more.

So to the disciples, the Lord said, "Did you catch anything?"

Before we can find God's forgiveness, and indeed, His restoration, we must first admit our need. No excuses. No blaming others. Instead, just honest confession as we take responsibility for our own actions.

Copyright © 2006 by Harvest Ministries. All rights reserved.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2006, 05:21:05 PM »
huh?  ???

{lol} That's ok Colossus. When you're ready to understand it, ...you will.  :)
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2006, 11:45:14 PM »
{lol} That's ok Colossus. When you're ready to understand it, ...you will.  :)

In other words, it's meaningless!   :)  Sounds like gobbledygook to me.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2006, 11:58:39 AM »
In other words, it's meaningless!   :)  Sounds like gobbledygook to me.

{lol} That's OK BeachBum. When you're ready to understand it, ...you will  :-*
w