Author Topic: Incline bench or flat bench for home gym  (Read 2351 times)

Griffith

• Getbig V
Re: Incline bench or flat bench for home gym
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2020, 01:26:35 PM »
this

I would prefer a regular barbell as that gives the option of close-grip and wide-grip and also free-range of motion.

friedchickendinner

• Getbig IV
  • I've had it
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2020, 01:51:44 PM »
I kinda like that machine type bench for safety reasons and convinience but I would need to try it out first to make sure it fits me... doesnt strike me as a will fit all type of thing

JDG

• Getbig I
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2020, 02:16:07 PM »
If you can only pick a fixed incline or a fixed flat, I would pick the fixed flat and turn it into an incline by putting wood or bricks underneath it. You only need a low incline to hit the upper chest in my experience.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2020, 05:10:44 PM »
Do a bench and inclines for decades. Then at 45 -50 your shoulders and pec tie in will be toast and you will have shot shoulders that are good for nothing. Few escape this  so don't listen to the few that escaped this plague of bodybuilding.  Buy a decline bench.  If you look at how the fibers run in the chest this is the way to hit it. Also it takes the front delt out of the equation for guys that say just uses dips, it's the same thing.  Dorian Yates on youtube sings the praises of the decline press. With a barbell you need a spotter or face death. With dumbbells you can always dump them if you're stuck. I own this one for home training. It isn't the best but for the money it's good enough and a good value. https://www.amazon.com/Valor-Fitness-DF-2-Decline-Bench/dp/B001TJ7GL2

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2020, 05:44:46 PM »
Declines involve the anterior delts too.

Any kind of pressing does.

Where you lower the weight to determines the stress on the shoulder joint.

On declines with a barbell most people lower the weight to the lower chest which is less range of motion and less stress.

Typical bodybuilding bench press is done with elbows wide which is stressful to the shoulders so you should use lighter weights/higher reps.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2020, 05:57:37 PM »
I completely disagree. From a kinesiology physiology motion of the humerus bone it involves a lot less front delt use compared to flat or incline. You can feel the relief it gives to the  pec anterior delt tie in after a set. No comparison to the stress on the delt joint. It also involves a greater range of motion than a bench by far.  To prove my point take a tape measure and actually measure the range of motion.

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2020, 06:48:57 PM »
Buy a flat bench and put plates under one end for incline or decline or just buy a bench that goes decline to shoulder press.

I Sinoda I

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2020, 07:50:29 PM »
Hello my fellow bodybuilding Getbiggers

Since I do not see an end to this Chinavirus situation I am putting a home gym together (so I can say that Yes, I even lift!)

However, I need your advice - should I go for a flat bench or an incline bench? Will use with dumbbells.
Titan Fitness is the best deal for your money.  Essentially Rogue Clones with free shipping.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2020, 08:39:31 PM »
Titan is a crapshoot.

They have great customer service and will replace defective items quickly, but their welds are inconsistent.  I've had jhooks / bench / adjustable step all needing replacement due to crummy welds.

OP doesn't lift either, everyone who responded is a dink.
Y

friedchickendinner

• Getbig IV
  • I've had it
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2020, 01:40:46 AM »

That's why I'm getting a bench, duh.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2020, 02:53:18 AM »
Do a bench and inclines for decades. Then at 45 -50 your shoulders and pec tie in will be toast and you will have shot shoulders that are good for nothing. Few escape this  so don't listen to the few that escaped this plague of bodybuilding.  Buy a decline bench.  If you look at how the fibers run in the chest this is the way to hit it. Also it takes the front delt out of the equation for guys that say just uses dips, it's the same thing.  Dorian Yates on youtube sings the praises of the decline press. With a barbell you need a spotter or face death. With dumbbells you can always dump them if you're stuck. I own this one for home training. It isn't the best but for the money it's good enough and a good value. https://www.amazon.com/Valor-Fitness-DF-2-Decline-Bench/dp/B001TJ7GL2

I bench more with powerlifting form anyway, elbows in, relatively closer grip, find this much easier on the shoulders. Also use body-weight dips for the lower chest.

However, if I still had access to a decline bench would still be using it, originally started using to help recover from a shoulder muscle injury and it did take a lot of stress off the shoulders. But the angle of the bench mustn't be too steep. And close-grip declines were excellent for triceps.

nzgs

• Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2020, 02:56:13 AM »
Rippetoe is a clown. His recommended squat form is atrocious and the "diet" in his book - gallons of processed supermarket milk - is only going to lead to massive fat gain. There are plenty of strength coaches with more credibility.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2020, 03:09:17 AM »
Rippetoe is a clown. His recommended squat form is atrocious and the "diet" in his book - gallons of processed supermarket milk - is only going to lead to massive fat gain. There are plenty of strength coaches with more credibility.

What's wrong with his squat form? The back is never vertical in the squat anyway.

friedchickendinner

• Getbig IV
  • I've had it
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2020, 06:05:51 AM »
I have heard that decline can be a dangerous exercise !

vascsurgeon

• Getbig II
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2020, 06:43:31 AM »
Hello my fellow bodybuilding Getbiggers

Since I do not see an end to this Chinavirus situation I am putting a home gym together (so I can say that Yes, I even lift!)

However, I need your advice - should I go for a flat bench or an incline bench? Will use with dumbbells.

Build a platform out of wood, 2 x 4 or similar, 6 inches high or so, maybe 2 x 3 feet. You can place it under one end of the bench, now you have incline and decline bench to go along with flat bench. Many other exercise can be incorporated into your routine with those added angles, even simple calf raises.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2020, 06:52:14 AM »
I have heard that decline can be a dangerous exercise !

You need a spotter if you use a barbell just like the bench press.  However you can use a power rack for safety with the bench press but not with declines.

With dumbbells just drop them if you get stuck.

Alternative to a decline bench is to do chest dips.

https://exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/BWChestDip

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2020, 07:16:03 AM »
You need a spotter if you use a barbell just like the bench press.  However you can use a power rack for safety with the bench press but not with declines.

With dumbbells just drop them if you get stuck.

Alternative to a decline bench is to do chest dips.

https://exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/BWChestDip

Or don't put the collars on. At home I never put the collars on.

If a rep is failed then just tilt the bar to one side and the plates fall off and then the other.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2020, 07:27:41 AM »
Or don't put the collars on. At home I never put the collars on.

If a rep is failed then just tilt the bar to one side and the plates fall off and then the other.

Good point.

Not completely safe though but definitely a way to escape.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2020, 12:02:12 PM »
Cheapest way to do declines I'd say

I Sinoda I

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2020, 03:39:27 PM »
Titan is a crapshoot.

They have great customer service and will replace defective items quickly, but their welds are inconsistent.  I've had jhooks / bench / adjustable step all needing replacement due to crummy welds.

I have got the Titan X-3 Cage.  One of the best purchases ever and its identical to Rogue.  I do agree on some of their items...I had an adjustable bench, one of their early versions and it just was never 100 percent right.  They have since corrected it.  Their attachments and unique bars are really a good deal.  I have a Viking Press from Titan and its probably the best Shoulder implement I have ever used.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2020, 06:44:20 PM »
I have got the Titan X-3 Cage.  One of the best purchases ever and its identical to Rogue.  I do agree on some of their items...I had an adjustable bench, one of their early versions and it just was never 100 percent right.  They have since corrected it.  Their attachments and unique bars are really a good deal.  I have a Viking Press from Titan and its probably the best Shoulder implement I have ever used.

Yeah, I have a half rack from them, and a heavy foam plyo box....those are excellent, especially for the $ compared to Rogue.
Y