Author Topic: Frank Zane's Diet  (Read 11991 times)

youandme

• Getbig V
Frank Zane's Diet
« on: May 22, 2006, 08:17:07 PM »
Any details on Zane? I think his training and outlook on things was pretty unique. Very interesting to look back at the golden era and see how so many bodybuilders followed such different routinesand beliefs, yet held the same "look" and todays bodybuilders bsically do everything the same and you can see how the approaches of more and more....takes effect.

Also....

Been trying to dig up Frank Zanes diet he used for the olympia and then one where he was lax when not training for the olympia, I remember he was a big fan of coffee and grapefruit I recall.
Anyone happen to come across it.

Thanks

Jeff Preston

• Getbig II
Re: Frank Zane's Diet
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 09:03:19 PM »
If can get your hands on "3 More Reps" Book 1 (1978) there is quite an intensive section on Zane. In a Q and A setting he talked about "getting around 300 grams of protein a day...a pound of meat,fish and some eggs along with three yeast drinks and  maybe three protein mixtures a day.  (protein mixture was two ounces of heavy cream, six ounces of water and a half a cup of protein powder...he didn't mention it but at the time it was probably Blairs.)
He kept his carbs low and before a contest he would go on zero carbs for up 5 days in a row eating a baked potato on the 6th. This would be repeated if necessary  for up to two weeks before the show.
He also ran 2 to three miles 3 times a week (the word "cardio" was not yet in vogue) at a good clip.

The "3 More Reps" Books , there were 3, are great sources of info from the champs themselves taken from seminars given at George Snyders Olympus Gym and compiled by Rick Waye.
They come up on Ebay fairly often, they don't go cheap.
Raw-Iron.com

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 10:29:03 PM »
Yeah I heard he would add the baked potato on days when he felt he would reallylag.
Damn that is alot,ok I will look into that, I just find it hard to believe that so many guys back then Zane included would use cottage cheese and heavy whipping cream and whole milk???
Any thoughts??

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 11:00:58 AM »
Yeah I heard he would add the baked potato on days when he felt he would reallylag.
Damn that is alot,ok I will look into that, I just find it hard to believe that so many guys back then Zane included would use cottage cheese and heavy whipping cream and whole milk???
Any thoughts??

Arnold said no to Milk

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 01:52:40 AM »
milk is for babies drink beeer

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 05:26:09 AM »
milk is for babies drink beeer

alcohol free beer is also nice for bulking.  ;)

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 06:43:13 AM »
Cause the yeast and wheat germ??

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 09:31:07 PM »
The basic foundation of testosterone is cholesterol from saturated fats.  I am doing heavy research at this time on the old ways of dieting.

Some people cant digest milk, they have advanced as grain eaters.  Im having great results with high fat high protien.   Getting leaner.

wgtnmuscle1

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 12:24:59 AM »
if you go to his website   frankzane.com
you can find his diet on there or even email frank
or get his newletters
or his new book
the zane body training manual

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 08:55:20 AM »
I recall reading a old Iron Man magazine years ago showing a pretty bulky Zane when he was teaching down in Florida. I believe Vince G. had much influence on him after he came out to SoCal, both in exercise & diet.

That heavy whipping/whole cream/half & half with Blair protein (they also sold high quality liver tabs and a B vitamin family supplement, among other things) and the steak & eggs diet, that Vince pushed, gave a high protein, low carb/high calore daily intake. The Blair method was known for gaining muscular weight and reducing the waist at the same time, which was probabily the result of those low carbs. They would also take liver tabs throughout the day, weither with the Blair or Vince's diet idea's.

Just my view, no way to back it up, but..........I wouldn't think that there was anything magical about just using the Blair protein. I would think that most anyone could follow that method today with these new engineered and balanced protein supplements out now. I think the trick was keeping the high quality calories up and the carbs down. Good Luck.

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 01:04:20 PM »
JMP is correct in a manner of speaking.

Blair's was different and had a great taste. Much of the product on the market back then tasted bad to say the least. If you factor the taste in along with the fact that all the Mr. Olympia's of the time ( Larry Scott, Sergio, Arnold and Frank ) were using it, why would we not have given it a try.

I'd still buy it if it was out there. It was and still is Beef approved.

The Beef.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 05:57:57 PM »
The basic foundation of testosterone is cholesterol from saturated fats.  I am doing heavy research at this time on the old ways of dieting.

Some people cant digest milk, they have advanced as grain eaters.  Im having great results with high fat high protien.   Getting leaner.

They lack the enzyme lactase to digest milk. Most people lose this after childhood, which makes sense as humans weren't meant to be nursed (or from cows for that matter). That doesn't make us grain eaters. Agriculture is a fairly new man made phenomena.

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 09:45:13 PM »
If can get your hands on "3 More Reps" Book 1 (1978) there is quite an intensive section on Zane. In a Q and A setting he talked about "getting around 300 grams of protein a day...a pound of meat,fish and some eggs along with three yeast drinks and  maybe three protein mixtures a day.  (protein mixture was two ounces of heavy cream, six ounces of water and a half a cup of protein powder...he didn't mention it but at the time it was probably Blairs.)
He kept his carbs low and before a contest he would go on zero carbs for up 5 days in a row eating a baked potato on the 6th. This would be repeated if necessary  for up to two weeks before the show.
He also ran 2 to three miles 3 times a week (the word "cardio" was not yet in vogue) at a good clip.

The "3 More Reps" Books , there were 3, are great sources of info from the champs themselves taken from seminars given at George Snyders Olympus Gym and compiled by Rick Waye.
They come up on Ebay fairly often, they don't go cheap.

You can "buy it now" for $250.00 :o

http://cgi.ebay.ca/3-More-Reps-Bodybuilding-Book-Rick-Wayne-Muscle-Men-Gay_W0QQitemZ4653589781QQcategoryZ378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Jeff Preston

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2006, 10:12:14 PM »
Whoa!
That would be a record price.  $50 is about the average going rate. The highest I've seen on Ebay is maybe $85.
Unless that auction comes with a turn down service with a mint on your pillow I 'd wait until the next one! ;)
Raw-Iron.com