Author Topic: Ginsburg dead  (Read 10026 times)

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
Re: Ginsburg dead
« Reply #150 on: September 28, 2020, 05:46:26 PM »
Uhm, newsflash: the "Left" successfully passed Obamacare, a huge part of the left's "agenda". Who's trying to use the Courts to undo it after failing to repeal it?

I don't think he said or implied that because the Left will use the court to overturn or bypass legislation or the people's will  to push their agenda through means that the Left always uses the court to promote their agenda. Before Roe v Wade abortion was legal in 13 States. It was made legal through the legislative process and not by a handful of unelected judges.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #151 on: September 28, 2020, 06:14:17 PM »
I have no beef in the whole "gay wedding" thing; frankly, I don't care who you marry or how you get off provided that it only involves consenting adults; beyond that knock yourself out.

The issue, here, or at least how I see it, is that the State confers several "benefits" to married couples: rights of survivorship, the right to make decisions for your spouse if he or she is in the hospital and unable to make such decisions, the ability to file taxes jointly and more.

The government can't force me (an individual) to accept any marriage and nothing in the current law or jurisprudence changes that. And that's not at issue. At issue is whether the government can discriminate against people based on who they marry. I don't know if you're gay, but let's say you are. Why should the law, for example, allow your property to flow through to a spouse tax free after your death, but only if that spouse is female?

As for businesses, while I generally think they can't be compelled to do things, they typically require licensing by the State and I think it's reasonable for the State to impose some requirements on the business. I don't think that gives the State carte blanche to force businesses to do anything and everything but it does give the State the ability to set a baseline. For example, I would be fine with a regulation that says: "you want a license to be a contractor? Fine, but you can't refuse to build a home because of someone's sexual orientation" because sexual orientation is irrelevant to the task at hand.

I agree that the baker in Masterpiece is, broadly, free to turn away business, even if I personally thing that turning customers away is bad business. I don't think it's the government's place to force people to accept others. I think that social pressure and the nature of progress does that just fine.

First I just want to make clear that, at the risk of splitting hairs, the issue isn't about gay marriage per se but rather same sex marriage. This is not just playing with semantics. As Arnold said when running for govenor, "I support gay marriage as long as it's between a man or a woman." This was to clarify the point that the gay agenda were demanding new special rights, rights that have never existed in all of human history. Everybody had the legal right to marry a member of the opposite sex. No one, gay or otherwise, had the right to marry a member of the same sex.

Your argument is base on our society giving special privileges to married couples. We, as a society, believe that the traditional family unit is the best scenario in a relationship and because a father and a mother each have something unique, something inherent in their gender, as the best scenario in raising children. If you disagree with that then you should fight to end such special privledges.

The argument you present to legalize same sex marriage can easily be applied to other scenarios as well. Why not legalize marriage between a brother or a sister? Father of daughter? Why not have two, three, four wives or husband? There are some that want to marry their cat?

You say the government can't force you to accept any marriage and that is true but if you don't you will be breaking the law. And yes, that does include your right to discriminate against someone for any reason you want. If you take an organization such as the Boy Scouts, justs as I think it would be inappropriate to have a man leading and going camping with Girl Scouts, I think it would be inappropriate to have a gay man leading and going camping with teen boys. The Boy Scouts is a private organization and should be free to choose and discriminate as to what members they want. Though you may not personally accept these terms you are now forced to follow it.

Anybody, can leave their property to anybody they want to. And you can believe that sexual orientation is irrelevant to building someone a house or performing any service at all then why make it a law? If I don't want build a house for a gay person or because he screwed my wife when I was on a business trip or is a member of Antifa it should be my right. Licensing requirements should be based on your qualifications and training you have received to preform your job safely and competently and not your personal preferences as to whom you want to work for.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #152 on: September 28, 2020, 06:23:51 PM »

I agree that the baker in Masterpiece is, broadly, free to turn away business, even if I personally thing that turning customers away is bad business. I don't think it's the government's place to force people to accept others. I think that social pressure and the nature of progress does that just fine.

This is a good point. While I think government coercion should be used very sparingly I do believe in moral persuasion. Through public and social pressure whether it's boycotts or protests.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #153 on: September 28, 2020, 06:25:34 PM »
Again, if the courts outlaw the ACA that is good for individuals.  There is nothing in the Constitution that mandates us to buy insurance from the government.

That is my biggest objection. The idea that the government can force you buy something is anathema to the idea of a free society.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #154 on: September 28, 2020, 06:35:55 PM »
It's way past three days...Did the bitch get up yet?  Fuckin' cucks act like she's their Methsiah.   She's dead and there's no sequel. 

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #155 on: September 28, 2020, 10:55:47 PM »

Megalodon

• Getbig V
« Reply #156 on: September 28, 2020, 11:14:54 PM »
USA Today felt they had to "fact check" satire about Ginsburg's death being overturned. They feared that others who also have impaired abstract thinking will fall for satire that they themselves were "clever" enough to figure out. They have to sound the alarm because they're the only ones "smart" enough to get a joke that everyone else is already in on. Someone did that on the Netflix pedo thread re:Babylon Bee.     

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #157 on: September 29, 2020, 03:50:29 AM »
Ha, ha, ha.  They have no sense of humor.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #158 on: September 29, 2020, 08:57:50 PM »
I don't think he said or implied that because the Left will use the court to overturn or bypass legislation or the people's will  to push their agenda through means that the Left always uses the court to promote their agenda.

That's exactly what he said: "The Left use the courts to pass laws that they could never get passed by vote."

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #159 on: September 29, 2020, 10:15:21 PM »
First I just want to make clear that, at the risk of splitting hairs, the issue isn't about gay marriage per se but rather same sex marriage.

Good point, although this might drag this thread furher off-topic than it already has. It's also not a particularly interesting topic to me, but hey, nothing better to do so let's play ball!

This is not just playing with semantics. As Arnold said when running for govenor, "I support gay marriage as long as it's between a man or a woman." This was to clarify the point that the gay agenda were demanding new special rights, rights that have never existed in all of human history. Everybody had the legal right to marry a member of the opposite sex. No one, gay or otherwise, had the right to marry a member of the same sex.

Marriage itself a special privilege granted by the State and one which was, at the time, limited only to members of the opposite sex. Beyond that, if a State wished to allow same-sex couples to wed other States actively refused to accept that marriage as valid, in violation of Article IV, Section 1 of the Constitution.

Your argument is base on our society giving special privileges to married couples. We, as a society, believe that the traditional family unit is the best scenario in a relationship and because a father and a mother each have something unique, something inherent in their gender, as the best scenario in raising children. If you disagree with that then you should fight to end such special privledges.

I disagree that marriage is about procreation or the raising of children and if you believe that is the case, then you should not be opposed if women who've had had a hysterectomy, men who've had a vasectomy, and, in general, people who are sterile either naturally or have become sterile should not be able to marry. Right?

And what about married couples that don't have children, for whatever reason? Should they be allowed to remain married? For how long?

The argument you present to legalize same sex marriage can easily be applied to other scenarios as well.

Yes, let's look at your scenarios. I'm betting they'll get increasingly ridiculous.

Why not legalize marriage between a brother or a sister? Father of daughter? Why not have two, three, four wives or husband? There are some that want to marry their cat?

And there it is: man-and-cat marriage. ::) I'm happy to have a serious discussion but, unlike the Church at Corinth, I do not suffer fools gladly. I hadn't really pegged you as a fool and expected better from you, but if you really need the ELI5 explanation, here you go: a prerequisite to marriage is the ability to legally consent to get married and a cat is, by nature, incapable of legally consenting since it lacks the requisite rational faculty associated with that kind of agency.

You say the government can't force you to accept any marriage and that is true but if you don't you will be breaking the law.

That's not true. No law exists that forces me to accept any marriage in my personal capacity. This shouldn't be confused with cases where the law might impose requirements on me in my professional capacity. For example, if I was a Doctor and my married patient was incapable of consenting to a procedure, I couldn't just ignore their spouse because I'm personally opposed to or refuse to recognize their marriage.

And yes, that does include your right to discriminate against someone for any reason you want.

Yes, individuals can, in their personal capacity, broadly discriminate against anyone and for any reason. But even that isn't absolute. For example, under the Fair Housing Act, an individual, in their capacity as a landlord, can't refuse to rent to a woman on account of her gender, or a Muslim on account of his faith, or a twink on account of his faggotism sexual orientation.

If you take an organization such as the Boy Scouts, justs as I think it would be inappropriate to have a man leading and going camping with Girl Scouts, I think it would be inappropriate to have a gay man leading and going camping with teen boys.

I don't buy the premise that human beings are animals that are unable to control their sexual impulses, which is what your comment is predicated on. With that said, I don't think that your position is necessarily imprudent either.

Tell me, do you believe that classes should be segregated by sex? Or that homosexuals should not be teachers?

The Boy Scouts is a private organization and should be free to choose and discriminate as to what members they want. Though you may not personally accept these terms you are now forced to follow it.

So, you would be OK if the Boy Scouts were to officially adopt a "No N*ggers, No Ch*nks, No B*aners" policy, right? After all, they are, to quote you, "a private organization and should be free to choose and discriminate as to what members they want."

Anybody, can leave their property to anybody they want to.

Yes, but married couples receive different tax treatment on estate transfers: all property left to a surviving spouse is entirely exempt from federal estate tax, which can be important when the average estate tax rate exceeds 15% and can go higher than the highest income tax bracket we currently have.

And you can believe that sexual orientation is irrelevant to building someone a house or performing any service at all then why make it a law?

I draw a line between laws and regulations. I don't think there should be a law that says that makes it illegal for a baker to refuse to bake a cake for a gay wedding. But I have no problem with a regulation that requires licensed businesses to not discriminate based on private, consensual and non-illegal behavior.

If I don't want build a house for a gay person or because he screwed my wife when I was on a business trip or is a member of Antifa it should be my right. Licensing requirements should be based on your qualifications and training you have received to preform your job safely and competently and not your personal preferences as to whom you want to work for.

I agree that licensing requirements should be objective but I don't see an issue with the State imposing requirements on licensees. My dentist is required to take continuing education credits to keep her license. My lawyer, in addition to continuing education credits, is required to have a "positive moral character" to remain a member of my State Bar. There are dozens of other examples I could provide if you want.

But we've strayed a bit far, haven't we?

The question why about same-sex marriage and the suggestion that it's somehow a "new" right that hasn't existed before. That's not true. First of all, marriage isn't a right to begin with and, broadly, I believe that the State shouldn't be involved as little as possible and, to the extent that it is involved, the State should make that privilege available to all equally, barring reasonable restrictions, the same way that we have restrictions for who can get, say, a driver license.

My personal preference would be to have all marriages be civil marriages and have civil marriage available to all consenting adults. If you want to have a 'super-duper' religious marriage on top of that and can find a religious organization that approves of you and your partner, then have at it.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #160 on: September 30, 2020, 01:14:12 AM »
That's exactly what he said: "The Left use the courts to pass laws that they could never get passed by vote."

I don't think they ALWAYS use the court to pass agendas that have failed. They just keep chipping away incrementally getting their people in power and to pass their agenda. Roe v Wade has already been decided. Now it's been pushed to the point where you can kill a baby after they are born. And don't think it's going to stop with same-sex marriage. Soon State legislator will support polygamy and marriage with family members. When a precedent as been set it's going to be push further and further.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #161 on: September 30, 2020, 02:15:25 AM »
I don't think they ALWAYS use the court to pass agendas that have failed. They just keep chipping away incrementally getting their people in power and to pass their agenda. Roe v Wade has already been decided. Now it's been pushed to the point where you can kill a baby after they are born. And don't think it's going to stop with same-sex marriage. Soon State legislator will support polygamy and marriage with family members. When a precedent as been set it's going to be push further and further.

Why say something that’s blatantly false? Do you think it’ll help you win an argument?

As for polygamy, it’s ok if a State wants to allow that as long as the Federales stay out of it, no?

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #162 on: September 30, 2020, 03:25:51 AM »
Why say something that’s blatantly false? Do you think it’ll help you win an argument?

As for polygamy, it’s ok if a State wants to allow that as long as the Federales stay out of it, no?

I'll address your previous posts which requires much more time and consideration as you make some very powerful points. As for this one. And to be clear, as I don't want to post the whole 54 minute interview, that "discussion" while the infant is being made "comfortable" laying on a stainless steel table, is to determine whether to kill the newborn or not. There's no longer any aborting of the procedure as it has already been done. The infant is now born.

Governor Ralph Northam: "So in this particular example, if a mother is in labor, I can tell you exactly what would happen. The infant would be delivered, the infant would be kept comfortable, the infant would be resuscitated if that’s what the mother and the family desired, and then a discussion would ensue between the physicians and the mother."

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #163 on: September 30, 2020, 07:39:27 AM »
 :o

In 2020 President Trump finally gets to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg !

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #164 on: September 30, 2020, 10:09:25 AM »
I'll address your previous posts which requires much more time and consideration as you make some very powerful points. As for this one. And to be clear, as I don't want to post the whole 54 minute interview, that "discussion" while the infant is being made "comfortable" laying on a stainless steel table, is to determine whether to kill the newborn or not. There's no longer any aborting of the procedure as it has already been done. The infant is now born.

Governor Ralph Northam: "So in this particular example, if a mother is in labor, I can tell you exactly what would happen. The infant would be delivered, the infant would be kept comfortable, the infant would be resuscitated if that’s what the mother and the family desired, and then a discussion would ensue between the physicians and the mother."

Well, that ended that argument. :D

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #165 on: September 30, 2020, 10:26:56 AM »

Thanks for the additional context. I'll watch the video later (have a class to teach over Zoom in 5 minutes) and follow up, but if your quotes are accurate (and I have no reason to suspect they aren't), that's fucked up.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #166 on: September 30, 2020, 02:00:50 PM »
Thanks for the additional context. I'll watch the video later (have a class to teach over Zoom in 5 minutes) and follow up, but if your quotes are accurate (and I have no reason to suspect they aren't), that's fucked up.

The interview posted is just an excerpt taking about 22 seconds. What kind of class do you teach?

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #167 on: September 30, 2020, 02:13:46 PM »
The interview posted is just an excerpt taking about 22 seconds. What kin of class do you teach?

I am a Professor at a Mid-Western University. I'm teaching the intro-level algorithms and data structures course that the computer science department offers.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #168 on: September 30, 2020, 09:25:31 PM »

Marriage itself a special privilege granted by the State and one which was, at the time, limited only to members of the opposite sex. Beyond that, if a State wished to allow same-sex couples to wed other States actively refused to accept that marriage as valid, in violation of Article IV, Section 1 of the Constitution.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. Yes, society has determine that they want to encourage traditional marriage. That was what the fight was about. Should we now give gays new and special rights that have never existed before in human history?

I disagree that marriage is about procreation or the raising of children and if you believe that is the case, then you should not be opposed if women who've had had a hysterectomy, men who've had a vasectomy, and, in general, people who are sterile either naturally or have become sterile should not be able to marry. Right?

And what about married couples that don't have children, for whatever reason? Should they be allowed to remain married? For how long?

You read more to what I stated. I never said that having children is the only reason why society believes same-sex unions are the ideal. It's one of the reasons. Another is that women have a civilizing influence on men. At least, they use to have or were intended to have. A man's natural tendency is to be promiscuous, get together with their friends and be rowdy and fall for peer pressure irresponsibility... before the feminist movement which somehow convinced women that being like men was inherently better, (which only has resulted in them being more masculinize, crude, and promiscuous) woman would not commit (read: have sex with) until the man behaves more responsibly and monogamous. Men, generally speaking, become better men when they marry and have children (although this has been diminished a lot when the government took over the role as the father and provider so that now a man can more easily abandon their children). Women civilize men. There are other benefits as well.

Yes, let's look at your scenarios. I'm betting they'll get increasingly ridiculous.

And there it is: man-and-cat marriage. ::) I'm happy to have a serious discussion but, unlike the Church at Corinth, I do not suffer fools gladly. I hadn't really pegged you as a fool and expected better from you, but if you really need the ELI5 explanation, here you go: a prerequisite to marriage is the ability to legally consent to get married and a cat is, by nature, incapable of legally consenting since it lacks the requisite rational faculty associated with that kind of agency.

Although I thought it was obvious that I was being flippant, it was not entirely so. Once you redefine something, in this case marriage, you leave open many possibilities. If I had told you thirty years ago that one day a male can dress and act like female and be recognized and legally protected as a female and use female bathrooms, compete and set new world records in sports competing as women you would think I was crazy. Now that we are opening the door wider why should we bind ourselves that you have to get consent from both sides if one side is not able to consent? After all we are allowed to, and did, kill an innocent person if a husband gives consent even though their parents were against it and was willing to bear all the cost and responsibilities for her care as they did in the Terri Schiavo case.

So once we redefine marriage don't be so sure people won't be allowed to marry animals. Especially since it has already be done in other countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudanese_goat_marriage_incident
https://www.foxnews.com/story/man-in-india-marries-dog-to-atone-for-stoning-to-death-mating-canines
https://www.foxnews.com/story/british-woman-marries-dolphin

That's not true. No law exists that forces me to accept any marriage in my personal capacity. This shouldn't be confused with cases where the law might impose requirements on me in my professional capacity. For example, if I was a Doctor and my married patient was incapable of consenting to a procedure, I couldn't just ignore their spouse because I'm personally opposed to or refuse to recognize their marriage.

To say you can do anything you want is one thing. But there are consequences to not obeying the law. If I don't recognize, honor, and accept same-sex marriage and discriminate against them I am subject to penalties. If I have an adoption agency I have to treat and mother and a father just the same as I would a father and a father, or mother and a mother even though I don't believe they are the same and the mother/father union is far superior to the others.

Yes, individuals can, in their personal capacity, broadly discriminate against anyone and for any reason. But even that isn't absolute. For example, under the Fair Housing Act, an individual, in their capacity as a landlord, can't refuse to rent to a woman on account of her gender, or a Muslim on account of his faith, or a twink on account of his faggotism sexual orientation.

OK, this is what I consider a "backing me against the wall" kind of question and can I stay consistent. I claim that I believe in freedom. That when it comes to decisions made regarding a person's own life and body (to use drugs, join a cult, over eat, pierce themselves all over their body...) and their own private property -- who you allow and whom you can discriminate against. Since you brought up the issue of private property that's what I will focus on.

When it comes to personal private property, be it your house, you restaurant, your school; you can have or not have anyone you want. In Hawaii, to be able to go to Kamehameha High School you have to be able to prove you are part Hawaiian. They are a private school so I have no problem discriminating against race. Just like with my own home, I should also have the right to discriminate against anybody I want for any reason. I should have the right to require you to wear a shirt and footware (a common rule in Hawaii where going shirtless and barefoot is common in the beach community). I can accept only men if I want. (You can have all girl schools but now all men's schools are being attacked), smokers or non-smokers, and yes, to get at what you really are getting at, I believe I have the right to discriminate against Blacks or any other race I want just like I can in my own home. The argument that because I am providing a public service or product is irrelevant. If I have a garage sale at my home I don't have to accept anybody I don't want to. Whatever decision I make I want the free market to decide if this is the kind of establishment they want in their community.

Remember when we had Jim Crow laws? Well, what is the purpose of a law anyway? It is to prevent a behavior that a person would want to do and would do if it wasn't prohibited. They passed a law prohibiting serving Black people because if they didn't then they would, and were, willingly, being served. No matter how racist a person may be the desire for money and profits superceded their views of Blacks. So much so that they had to pass laws requiring restrictions against Blacks that wouldn't have existed to such an extent if it was left for the people to decide.

I don't buy the premise that human beings are animals that are unable to control their sexual impulses, which is what your comment is predicated on. With that said, I don't think that your position is necessarily imprudent either.

Tell me, do you believe that classes should be segregated by sex? Or that homosexuals should not be teachers?

Actually studies have shown that students do better when it is segregated by sex. I wouldn't make it a law requiring it but I wouldn't want it illegal.

As far as ones sexual orientation and the appropriateness it would depend on the situation. Because there is more intimate contact with the Scout leaders (I was a Cub Scount, Webelos, and Boy Scout) than with a teacher I wouldn't have any problem with the teachers sexual orientation. But it shouldn't be an issue because there is no reason why anyone should know what their sexual orientation is.

And I don't trust human nature. Not all humans act like animals and can't control themselves. In fact, I would say that the majority under normal circumstances (if joswift is reading this I'm sure he is nodding) are able to control their more base nature. But since I can't be sure I want to avoid testing them. As James Madison once said, "If men were angels we would have no need for government." I know for me personally, part of my strength is recognizing my weakenesses an, and not put myself in a position where I may be tempted. That includes not keeping chocolate around and not accepting a personal math tutoring assingment with a woman I was very much sexually attracted to but was married. Look what having gays has done to the Boy Scouts and the Catholic Church

So, you would be OK if the Boy Scouts were to officially adopt a "No N*ggers, No Ch*nks, No B*aners" policy, right? After all, they are, to quote you, "a private organization and should be free to choose and discriminate as to what members they want."

The Boy Scouts became a very popular and successful organization, something that took many years to achieve. The became so because parents agreed and approved with their Christian based value system and wanted it passed on to the boys. If the Boy Scouts start changing their values, valued I don't agree with, then I will not endourse or support them. Our family no longer allows any of the young girls in our family to join the Girl Scouts because they now support abortion. And I no longer buy their cookies as I have done for decades.

If someone wants to start an all Black organization, maybe call it the NAACP. Or an all White organization and call it the KKK they have the legal right to do so. I leave it to the people to decide whether or not they want to support such an organization. If the Boy Scouts want to change their value system and allow homosexuals, girls, discriminate against Blacks or Mexicans, it is their right but something I personally wouldn't approve and would no longer support them as I haven't in years and in our family we no longer allow our boys to join that organization.

Yes, but married couples receive different tax treatment on estate transfers: all property left to a surviving spouse is entirely exempt from federal estate tax, which can be important when the average estate tax rate exceeds 15% and can go higher than the highest income tax bracket we currently have.

Yes, because we as a society believe that the traditional family, which begins with the marriage of a man and a woman, benefits society as a whole and should be encouraged and incentified. In my personal opinion, I am against all these tax laws and want to go with a consumption tax or a straight flat tax. Our tax system is so complicated and convoluted that it just has to be overhauled.

I draw a line between laws and regulations. I don't think there should be a law that says that makes it illegal for a baker to refuse to bake a cake for a gay wedding. But I have no problem with a regulation that requires licensed businesses to not discriminate based on private, consensual and non-illegal behavior.

And there's the rub. I don't want the government telling me who I can and cannot work for, and who I can and cannot choose who works for me. I want to have the right to discriminate against a Communist, Santanist, Witch or Wiccan, a Klansman... all which is legal private behavior. I would have no problem with gays

I agree that licensing requirements should be objective but I don't see an issue with the State imposing requirements on licensees. My dentist is required to take continuing education credits to keep her license. My lawyer, in addition to continuing education credits, is required to have a "positive moral character" to remain a member of my State Bar. There are dozens of other examples I could provide if you want.

But we've strayed a bit far, haven't we?

The question why about same-sex marriage and the suggestion that it's somehow a "new" right that hasn't existed before. That's not true. First of all, marriage isn't a right to begin with and, broadly, I believe that the State shouldn't be involved as little as possible and, to the extent that it is involved, the State should make that privilege available to all equally, barring reasonable restrictions, the same way that we have restrictions for who can get, say, a driver license.

My personal preference would be to have all marriages be civil marriages and have civil marriage available to all consenting adults. If you want to have a 'super-duper' religious marriage on top of that and can find a religious organization that approves of you and your partner, then have at it.

It is well-established and crystal clear that the right to marry is a central aspect of the right to liberty, privacy, association, and identity. Fourteen times since 1888, the United States Supreme Court has stated that marriage is a fundamental right of all individuals.

Never in all of recorded human history has a society recognized the right that marrying a member of the same sex be recognized, accepted, and honored by whatever governing system existing at the time. Same sex marriage is a new and special right being granted.

Many people don't believed that government shouldn't play a role in personal relationships. That's an entirely different subject.

As an aside, getting a driver's license is not a right but a privilege. It matters for when someone requires that you, like with Obamacare, require your to get health insurance equating that with requiring you to get car insurance. You own your body. The government can deny you or take away your license if you don't abide by certain laws they have determined. [/b]