Author Topic: Workout/Routine advice from the GetBig community  (Read 24858 times)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Re: Workout/Routine advice from the GetBig community
« Reply #275 on: April 10, 2021, 07:50:24 PM »
Tie 2 loops in a strap. Throw it over a tree branch. Do pullups. When you fail, shove your arms through the loops so your weight is on your triceps at the elbow. Do more pullups to failure. Reposition the strap further up your triceps. Etc.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
I only have access to the Hammer pullover and can put the elbows on the pads while grabbing the handles since it's built differently.

As far as proper form, these biomechanics experts say Dorian did them somewhat wrong, but kind of opposite of what you say, since for maximal lat activation you generally don't want to arch the back and should never drive the elbows all the way back. I agree with you that there is a tendency to make it a crunch as you fatigue and it feels like you lose contact with your lats.

It's not exactly the opposite of what I said but there is a point that you start to lose maximum amount of lat activation once you elbow go pass your torso. Then other muscles come into play, such as the mid back muscles. To me this is a good thing because what makes the back, not just lats, my favorite muscle, is all the little muscles that completely cover the back. You can only activate those by driving your elbows as far back as you can and to get full contraction you have to lift up your chest.

I would not be surprise, and in fact with expect, the Hammer Pullover to be designed better than Nautilus. Once Jones' sold Nautilus and turned his attention to Medx the Nautilus equipment have become noticeable inferior. Dorian was using the old school version which had it's faults but were better than what Nautilus is putting out today.

One thing Hammer did that was a vast improvement was to virtually eliminate (on the plate loaded machines) friction which always was an obstacle for Jones in designing his machines which he also solve when he developed Medx.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #277 on: April 11, 2021, 09:23:35 AM »
The bent arm pullover is one of the prime mass builder for the upper body. The straight arm version works well but not to the extent that the bent arm version does because more weight and a better stretch can be achieved. Using DB's can reduce some undo stress on the wrist, elbows and shoulder girdle in most men rather than using a BB, though both styles work well.

Pullovers work the lat's, pec's & triceps very, very strongly but go easy on this exercise at first, if it's new to you. Even the abs, as a stablelizing group, are worked hard. Combining the bent arm pullover with the BP, as a single compound exercise (pullover & press), increases the capacity for muscle mass for the upper body. You can either do one rep of pullovers and than press the weight (either DB or BB) overhead right after, than do another pullover, press, pullover , etc.  Or do  reps of bent arm pullovers and immediately do overhead (bench press) after, with the same weight for one complete set. You can get a better stretch on the pullovers if the knee's are drawn up rather than have the legs out flat if your doing light pullovers after squats, etc. For heavier pullovers it's a pretty good idea to rap the legs around the bench or even have some one hold the legs down. You can, after a while, use large amounts of weight in this exercise. 100lb+ DB's or 250lb BB's are not out of the question

Rib Box: If young enought, the cartilage (elastic tissue around/between the rib's/breast bone) is still in a soften state and has not harden as it does when we mature, usually around 22 -24 years of age in most people. Pullovers will allow a expanding influence on the rib box to  reach a permanent size increase in the chest measurement. A lot of younger guy's have had a 2 or 3 inch gain on the chest. Of course if you include a serious set of pullovers after breathing squats than the gain is almost assured in most people. Even in older trainee's there can be a noticeable flexability not only in the rib box but also the muscle attachment/inserts around the chest area giving a fuller, higher feeling to the chest. Good Luck.
F

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #278 on: April 11, 2021, 09:28:50 AM »
The bent arm pullover is one of the prime mass builder for the upper body. The straight arm version works well but not to the extent that the bent arm version does because more weight and a better stretch can be achieved. Using DB's can reduce some undo stress on the wrist, elbows and shoulder girdle in most men rather than using a BB, though both styles work well.

Pullovers work the lat's, pec's & triceps very, very strongly but go easy on this exercise at first, if it's new to you. Even the abs, as a stablelizing group, are worked hard. Combining the bent arm pullover with the BP, as a single compound exercise (pullover & press), increases the capacity for muscle mass for the upper body. You can either do one rep of pullovers and than press the weight (either DB or BB) overhead right after, than do another pullover, press, pullover , etc.  Or do  reps of bent arm pullovers and immediately do overhead (bench press) after, with the same weight for one complete set. You can get a better stretch on the pullovers if the knee's are drawn up rather than have the legs out flat if your doing light pullovers after squats, etc. For heavier pullovers it's a pretty good idea to rap the legs around the bench or even have some one hold the legs down. You can, after a while, use large amounts of weight in this exercise. 100lb+ DB's or 250lb BB's are not out of the question

Rib Box: If young enought, the cartilage (elastic tissue around/between the rib's/breast bone) is still in a soften state and has not harden as it does when we mature, usually around 22 -24 years of age in most people. Pullovers will allow a expanding influence on the rib box to  reach a permanent size increase in the chest measurement. A lot of younger guy's have had a 2 or 3 inch gain on the chest. Of course if you include a serious set of pullovers after breathing squats than the gain is almost assured in most people. Even in older trainee's there can be a noticeable flexability not only in the rib box but also the muscle attachment/inserts around the chest area giving a fuller, higher feeling to the chest. Good Luck.

If Lee Priests mum had put all his clothes in the top drawer when he was a kid he may have ended up 5'10

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #279 on: April 11, 2021, 10:08:00 AM »
The Nautilus pullover machine is still superior to most type other machines  because of the three phase cams/gears. Which adjust from the weakest to strongest  positions of the pullover during the exercise and keeps that tension applied  throughout, from start to finish of the rep. A added benefit is that overhead pulldown bar that some style Nautilus machines have (more along the line of the original designed machines).  Many Nautilus type machines are used in rehab recovery medical centers. The Naval Hospital in San Diego has them, for example..

Also with the Nautilus , with the elbows on the pads, the weaker arms are taken out of involvement. You are leading with the elbows.  As with the Nautilus shoulder machine. Some BB/DB exercises are lead by the elbows, which some men may overlook. All about better leverage really.

Personal view: all their machines are over priced greatly. And some are over built for the purpose they were designed for.

Good Luck.

F

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • “Always do what you are afraid to do.” - Emerson
« Reply #280 on: April 11, 2021, 12:18:54 PM »
The Nautilus pullover machine is still superior to most type other machines  because of the three phase cams/gears. Which adjust from the weakest to strongest  positions of the pullover during the exercise and keeps that tension applied  throughout, from start to finish of the rep. A added benefit is that overhead pulldown bar that some style Nautilus machines have (more along the line of the original designed machines).  Many Nautilus type machines are used in rehab recovery medical centers. The Naval Hospital in San Diego has them, for example..

Also with the Nautilus , with the elbows on the pads, the weaker arms are taken out of involvement. You are leading with the elbows.  As with the Nautilus shoulder machine. Some BB/DB exercises are lead by the elbows, which some men may overlook. All about better leverage really.

Personal view: all their machines are over priced greatly. And some are over built for the purpose they were designed for.

Good Luck.

Which was to make Arthur Jones rich.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #281 on: April 11, 2021, 01:30:58 PM »
60 minutes w a 25 lbs weight vest

4 minutes - 50 calories on assault bike

3:30 - weight fast 1/4 mile fast walk. 

No rest at all.  Repeat for 60 min. 

720 calories in 60 min burned.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #282 on: April 11, 2021, 05:01:45 PM »
60 minutes w a 25 lbs weight vest

4 minutes - 50 calories on assault bike

3:30 - weight fast 1/4 mile fast walk. 

No rest at all.  Repeat for 60 min. 

720 calories in 60 min burned.

How many of those calories burned will you put back in a day?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #283 on: April 11, 2021, 05:18:24 PM »
How many of those calories burned will you put back in a day?

No clue.  I drink beers eat whatever I want in moderation and stay in great shape year round.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #284 on: April 11, 2021, 05:28:29 PM »
No clue.  I drink beers eat whatever I want in moderation and stay in great shape year round.

No doubt that you do. It is interesting though that you count the calories you expend but not the ones you take in. It's all good though as long as the results are what you want them to be.

I check the calories listed on labels of the foods I eat. It's not because I worry about getting too many but sometimes I am concerned that I could be not getting enough calories. Although I workout on a regular basis, my routine is baby-weight/weak compared to the ones you post. As a result, my appetite isn't what it once was when I was eating 6 meals a day.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #285 on: April 11, 2021, 05:47:59 PM »
No doubt that you do. It is interesting though that you count the calories you expend but not the ones you take in. It's all good though as long as the results are what you want them to be.

I check the calories listed on labels of the foods I eat. It's not because I worry about getting too many but sometimes I am concerned that I could be not getting enough calories. Although I workout on a regular basis, my routine is baby-weight/weak compared to the ones you post. As a result, my appetite isn't what it once was when I was eating 6 meals a day.

Was based off the assault bike and watch.   Didn’t account for the 25 lb vest so it’s probably close

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #286 on: April 12, 2021, 04:32:02 AM »
Here is what I did this am:

10 minutes overhead 25lb medicine

1 minute rest

5 Minutes - box step + 8 count BB

1 minute rest

5 minutes 120lb sand ball clean + overhead press + front toss

1 minute rest

5 minutes farmer carry w Gerry Cans

1 minute rest

5 minutes  - 10 push ups + 10 mountain climbers + 10 squats + 10 curl/press w 30lb DB

1 minute rest

5 minutes - chains later raises and front raises and torso twists

1 minute rest

5 minutes - walking lunges with 44lb kettlebell

1 minute rest

5 minutes - reverse overhead sandball (120lb) throw

1 minute rest

5 minutes - 8 count BB plus sandball (120lb) front throw

1 hour - 4 mile ruck w 35lb. 

Total time 2 hours.   

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • “Always do what you are afraid to do.” - Emerson
« Reply #287 on: April 12, 2021, 05:49:29 AM »
You da man, Soul Crusher.

Hardest trainer on Getbig.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #288 on: April 12, 2021, 06:06:02 AM »
I just ran a measly 5 miles😥

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #289 on: April 12, 2021, 06:29:35 AM »
I just ran a measly 5 miles😥

My later miles are always better as well.

I think it's a breathing thing, but not sure.
Y

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #290 on: April 12, 2021, 06:54:00 AM »
My later miles are always better as well.

I think it's a breathing thing, but not sure.

IMO, A lot of the running injuries occur because people don’t take the time to warm up properly. The 1st mile or two should be very slow the same way the first couple sets with weights should be very light, especially once you’re past your prime.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #291 on: April 12, 2021, 07:28:06 AM »
IMO, A lot of the running injuries occur because people don’t take the time to warm up properly. The 1st mile or two should be very slow the same way the first couple sets with weights should be very light, especially once you’re past your prime.

I am awful with that.

I go too fast first mile and feel like shit.
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #292 on: April 12, 2021, 07:31:11 AM »
I am awful with that.

Same w the ruck.  My calves get filled w lactic acid, sucks.   The first mile is terrible.   Usually takes me like 2-3 miles to start warming up. 

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #293 on: April 12, 2021, 07:37:23 AM »
Same w the ruck.  My calves get filled w lactic acid, sucks.   The first mile is terrible.   Usually takes me like 2-3 miles to start warming up.

Same.

First mile feels like I'm not going to do well.

After the first few miles, feels like I can do 50 without feeling it.
Y

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #294 on: April 12, 2021, 07:43:34 AM »
I am awful with that.

Think of the first mile as the first set on the bench when you use nothing but the bar.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #295 on: April 12, 2021, 07:47:06 AM »
Think of the first mile as the first set on the bench when you use nothing but the bar.

Totally get it, just hard to force to go that slow.

Plus, I like seeing the total time/miles (i.e. 5 miles sub 40) and that works against me.

I shouldn't care, but I do.
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #296 on: April 12, 2021, 08:36:21 AM »
And all this time later - FATZZZO has not posted a single workout done. 

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #297 on: April 12, 2021, 09:37:52 AM »
And all this time later - FATZZZO has not posted a single workout done.

You really expect him to? :D

Q

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #298 on: April 12, 2021, 11:24:25 AM »
Here is what I did this am:

10 minutes overhead 25lb medicine

1 minute rest

5 Minutes - box step + 8 count BB

1 minute rest

5 minutes 120lb sand ball clean + overhead press + front toss

1 minute rest

5 minutes farmer carry w Gerry Cans

1 minute rest

5 minutes  - 10 push ups + 10 mountain climbers + 10 squats + 10 curl/press w 30lb DB

1 minute rest

5 minutes - chains later raises and front raises and torso twists

1 minute rest

5 minutes - walking lunges with 44lb kettlebell

1 minute rest

5 minutes - reverse overhead sandball (120lb) throw

1 minute rest

5 minutes - 8 count BB plus sandball (120lb) front throw

1 hour - 4 mile ruck w 35lb. 

Total time 2 hours.   

Just reading about your routine this morning has exhausted me.;D  I cannot remember the last time I had a routine that took two hours to complete. How do you feel about jumping rope?  Is it beneficial or is all the jumping up and down hard on our bodies?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #299 on: April 12, 2021, 11:29:02 AM »
Same.

First mile feels like I'm not going to do well.

After the first few miles, feels like I can do 50 without feeling it.

Do you think that after a certain time period you start to get into a rhythm like when swimming laps. If I haven't done it in awhile, it takes a few laps before I get my breathing in sync.