Author Topic: TESLA's Market Cap Surpasses All Other Auto Companies Combined  (Read 4769 times)

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
Re: TESLA's Market Cap Surpasses All Other Auto Companies Combined
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2021, 02:28:28 AM »
Tesla is an expensive stock in terms of its price earnings value. If you want growth, then buy QQQ.

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2021, 02:32:37 AM »
yeah, by selling carbon credits to other companies  ::)

I concede that their two recent quarters were profitable based on cars and energy storage, before you try to "gotcha" me.  Tesla makes lousy cars but like Steve Jobs, Elon Musk is a marketing whiz.  Sadly, their inclusion to the SP500 ensures that the government will bail them out when needed, all in the name of the Almighty Number
Thing is Tesla spends very little on marketing compared to other auto companies. I can't recall ever seeing a Tesla ad on TV. Tesla cars are selling because people want them.

Have you seen the performance of the Tesla Plaid? It is basically the fastest production car in history bar the $2.4 million Rimac Nevera which is not technically in production yet. If Tesla added a 4th electric motor they would close the gap with even the Nevera.

Tesla has basically upended the established auto industry. They are now playing catchup.

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2021, 02:33:36 AM »
Tesla is an expensive stock in terms of its price earnings value. If you want growth, then buy QQQ.
What's QQQ?

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2021, 03:23:26 AM »
I look forward to you doing better.  Show them how it should be done!

Lol at this copout.  Rather than address the points I made, you attack me personally.  I expected better from you Bay  :'(

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2021, 03:35:27 AM »
Thing is Tesla spends very little on marketing compared to other auto companies. I can't recall ever seeing a Tesla ad on TV. Tesla cars are selling because people want them.

Have you seen the performance of the Tesla Plaid? It is basically the fastest production car in history bar the $2.4 million Rimac Nevera which is not technically in production yet. If Tesla added a 4th electric motor they would close the gap with even the Nevera.

Tesla has basically upended the established auto industry. They are now playing catchup.

Elon Musk has an army of rabid fanboys that think he is a real life Tony Stark for some reason.  Good point about the lack of marketing budget, but the marketing comes from Elon's non-stop tweets and his general persona.  People will tolerate all sorts of predatory business practices to buy in to the Tesla image.

He's like Trump in that his brand has far surpassed his tangible achievements.  Trump has several bankruptcies and failed businesses yet is thought of as a business genius.  I like Trump, this isn't a criticism really, I'm just in awe of how he controls his image.  If not for Musk having been born in S. Africa, I'd say he's a shoe in for president at some point.

Don't get me wrong, Tesla's achievements are impressive but they are selling the sizzle--not the steak.  My point is that Tesla's stock price is a bubble and doesn't reflect actual or future performance

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2021, 06:47:13 AM »

Yes, Tesla as a money-losing R&D company is impressive. You can even go to space privately if you spend enough money....or go to the moon in the 60s...ahem.

I'm sure Musk knows there is first mover advantage but also that most people that invent something end up watching someone else perfect it or market it better.

Big automakers are playing catchup....but they are catching up. Example the Ford Mach E...43k base up to the GT for 59k, quietly already sold around fifty thousand cars this year.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2021, 08:16:46 AM »

Yes, Tesla as a money-losing R&D company is impressive. You can even go to space privately if you spend enough money....or go to the moon in the 60s...ahem.

I'm sure Musk knows there is first mover advantage but also that most people that invent something end up watching someone else perfect it or market it better.

Big automakers are playing catchup....but they are catching up. Example the Ford Mach E...43k base up to the GT for 59k, quietly already sold around fifty thousand cars this year.

There's a reason auto CEO's are racing to go fully electric.  Electric cars require significantly fewer people to design and build.  Tesla requires only ten man hours to build a Model Y in Germany, while VW requires 30 to build an ID4.  There are fewer parts in electric cars and their assembly is much easier to automate.  In addition, the simpler power train means significantly fewer engineers.  CEO's love this and can't wait to go fully electric because it means fewer of all types of employees.  Unions in Germany and USA are just starting to wake up to this fact.

The proliferation of electric car startups is proof that anyone can start an electric car company now.  The barriers for the automotive industry have fallen.  Just look at all the new competition from Tesla, Rivian, Lucid, Fisker, Nio, Xpang, Lordstown, and BYD.  Rivian's IPO is this week. 

The Chinese haven't even entered the US market, choosing first to concentrate on Europe, but they will.

Car dealerships and auto repair are not immune from the electric wave.  Cars will be sold online with showrooms in malls like Tesla.  Electric cars are can last a million miles if the batteries are replaced and battery technology is improving at a breakneck pace.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2021, 12:38:15 PM »
There's a reason auto CEO's are racing to go fully electric.  Electric cars require significantly fewer people to design and build.  Tesla requires only ten man hours to build a Model Y in Germany, while VW requires 30 to build an ID4.  There are fewer parts in electric cars and their assembly is much easier to automate.  In addition, the simpler power train means significantly fewer engineers.  CEO's love this and can't wait to go fully electric because it means fewer of all types of employees.  Unions in Germany and USA are just starting to wake up to this fact.

The proliferation of electric car startups is proof that anyone can start an electric car company now.  The barriers for the automotive industry have fallen.  Just look at all the new competition from Tesla, Rivian, Lucid, Fisker, Nio, Xpang, Lordstown, and BYD.  Rivian's IPO is this week. 

The Chinese haven't even entered the US market, choosing first to concentrate on Europe, but they will.

Car dealerships and auto repair are not immune from the electric wave.  Cars will be sold online with showrooms in malls like Tesla.  Electric cars are can last a million miles if the batteries are replaced and battery technology is improving at a breakneck pace.

Yes, they'll be having robots assemble in chunks like a giant VCR, which can be done anywhere just like any other product.

Take what we had to do to protect iPhones as an example, they had to basically ban Huawei from selling phones in the USA. Same concept except too much money is involved here...someday Amazon car carriers will drop off Chinese electric cars at your driveway...and they aren't going to cost 100K. If you have had your 102nd booster you'll be able to drive it.  :o

I take nothing away from Tesla as far as R&D, it's just that China doesn't have an issue copying IP and no politician here will stop it when the big money flows.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2021, 12:46:14 PM »

Yes, they'll be having robots assemble in chunks like a giant VCR, which can be done anywhere just like any other product.

Take what we had to do to protect iPhones as an example, they had to basically ban Huawei from selling phones in the USA. Same concept except too much money is involved here...someday Amazon car carriers will drop off Chinese electric cars at your driveway...and they aren't going to cost 100K. If you have had your 102nd booster you'll be able to drive it.  :o

I take nothing away from Tesla as far as R&D, it's just that China doesn't have an issue copying IP and no politician here will stop it when the big money flows.

You are correct about what's happening in China with electric cars.  Cars are just like laptops with a motor now.  Every car company produces cars in China and the Chinese are great about copying IP.  The writing is on the wall for what's going to happen in the industry.  People won't own cars they'll just use a service and the service they use may have an American brand on it, but the car will be designed and built in china with an Amazon logo. 

I really believe what happened with smart phones is going to happen with electric cars.  Most people would be shocked at how good Chinese electric cars like Nio are right now.  There starting to sell them in Germany if that tells you how competitive they are.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2021, 02:15:08 PM »
I rode in a Tesla last weekend for the first time and was surprised at how fast it was at acceleration. Once they get their shit together with the road tractor, I’ll be looking at buying.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2021, 02:20:04 PM »
Certainly you can have a differing opinion... but what are you doing with it--besides posting on a message board?  Put your money where your mouth is.  If you're not starting your starting your own car company what gains have you made in the market based on your opinions?  Those who bought TESLA stock are now sitting very pretty.  People on the sidelines offering opinions... not so much.

Reed Hastings thought Blockbuster had a misguided business model.  When he asked to partner with them for DVDs via mail they laughed at him and told him to get out.  Blockbuster is now out of business and Netflix is now part of FAANG.

Less opining and more doing.  Arguing with success says more about the speaker than the subject. ::)

LOL!

He was arguing if Tesla’s success was real or smoke and mirrors. GameStop stock price is still at a record high l, that doesn’t mean ia brick and mortar store selling video games is a good business model.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • “Always do what you are afraid to do.” - Emerson
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2021, 02:24:07 PM »
You have to roll with the changes.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2021, 07:49:23 PM »
LOL!

He was arguing if Tesla’s success was real or smoke and mirrors. GameStop stock price is still at a record high l, that doesn’t mean ia brick and mortar store selling video games is a good business model.

It's amazing what substitutes for religion for some people in the modern world.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2021, 10:21:35 PM »

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2021, 08:01:51 AM »
Looks like Musk sold 10% as he said he would.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2021, 10:29:13 AM »
there are hardly any tesla cars on the road compared to all the others.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • “Always do what you are afraid to do.” - Emerson
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2021, 12:10:52 PM »
there are hardly any tesla cars on the road compared to all the others.

Depends on where you are.  I see them in wealthier towns but yes, not a lot.

Virtue signalers also drive them to show their climate change wokeness.

I see many more Teslas than Corvettes.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2021, 07:59:22 AM »
TSLA down 20% as Elon torches Bernie Sanders on Twitter over tax plans .... "I keep forgetting you are still alive" .   ;D

Also, says he may sell more stock.

Michael "Big Short" Burry is calling Musk selling out of TSLA.

"Let's face it. @elonmusk borrowed against 88.3 million shares, sold all his mansions, moved to Texas, and is asking @BernieSanders whether he should sell more stock. He doesn't need cash. He just wants to sell $TSLA,"

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2021, 08:00:31 AM »
Musk sells soon if he is the true genius god some of you make him out to be.

8)  8)  8)

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2021, 01:05:37 PM »
Man made energy crisis it ain’t just the cost to charge it’s about reducing what we use to move us.

Electric scooter/motorbike requires 3kwh battery for 100km range

Tesla requires 82kmwh for 350km range, roughly 24kwh for 100km.

We have 1 person in a 2 tonne car 99% of the time. If climate change is really an issue, why are we still using cars that require 10x more resources to transport 1 person than a scooter/motorbike?

If the works govts are serious about the made made energy crisis and climate change, we should pretty much kill off cars and have personal transport the size of a person.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2021, 01:14:01 PM »

If the works govts are serious about the made made energy crisis and climate change, we should pretty much kill off cars and have personal transport the size of a person.

And for that to happen you have to kill off choice in markets AKA kill capitalism. The billionaires still have their Escalades, yachts and jets of course they are the new royalty and they don't want new members or underlings having the same access.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2021, 01:19:18 PM »
Tesla is worth a lot not because of its current production but if Musk can pull off autonomous Big rigs he can corner the entire global transportation market not related to water or rail.  Tesla would be the most expensive company in the world worth trillions and trillions.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2021, 01:38:00 PM »
Apple says their self driving EV launch will be 2025. Something that integrates fully with their other products is a strong selling point.

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2021, 02:36:04 PM »
LOL!

GameStop stock price is still at a record high l, that doesn’t mean ia brick and mortar store selling video games is a good business model.

I only saw it as brick and mortar and some kinda pump and dump, then I actually looked into it and things got interesting..

They've recruited several ex Amazon for their C-Suite and are transforming into an e-commerce retailer and are taking on Amazon head on. They are using their brick and mortar presence to allow for same day and even 2 hour delivery. Brick and mortar also allows for easy store pick ups and returns of e-commerce items. They offer customers flexibility that just isn't there with Amazon.

They are also moving into Web 3.0 and working on their own NFT market place, and could possibly have first mover advantage there. That's the same kinda world Facebook/Meta are looking to occupy if you're not sure of the potential there.

I've made some really nice money with gamestop and I'm confident I will continue to do so.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2021, 06:44:03 AM »
I only saw it as brick and mortar and some kinda pump and dump, then I actually looked into it and things got interesting..

They've recruited several ex Amazon for their C-Suite and are transforming into an e-commerce retailer and are taking on Amazon head on. They are using their brick and mortar presence to allow for same day and even 2 hour delivery. Brick and mortar also allows for easy store pick ups and returns of e-commerce items. They offer customers flexibility that just isn't there with Amazon.

They are also moving into Web 3.0 and working on their own NFT market place, and could possibly have first mover advantage there. That's the same kinda world Facebook/Meta are looking to occupy if you're not sure of the potential there.

I've made some really nice money with gamestop and I'm confident I will continue to do so.

Taking Amazon head on is better translated: Nerds jacked up on Monster can't wait a day for Amazon Prime to deliver a new game. Fickle group and shaky plan trying to make a decentralized anything your profit center. ;D

Walmart is posting great numbers for the same reason, they're still open to buy something. I figure Walmart and dollar stores will be all that's left of retail in 10 years if Amazon never pays taxes.

Places like Staples or Dick's - I have no idea how they are in business. I've never been in one where there were more customers than employees.