Author Topic: odds and ends [bodybuilding related.  (Read 80947 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: odds and ends [bodybuilding related.
« Reply #500 on: October 31, 2022, 09:15:51 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #501 on: October 31, 2022, 10:20:23 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #502 on: November 01, 2022, 04:03:53 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #503 on: November 02, 2022, 08:30:19 AM »
  BOYER COE  ...  THE RAGIN CAJUN
Boyer Coe holds the record for winning the most national and international bodybuilding contests, amateur and professional. His competitive career lasted from 1964 to 1995 and consisted of 91 physique contests. He won 31 first place trophies and appeared on 33 magazine covers. A sampling of Coe's physique titles include 1965 AAU "Mr. Texas," 1966 AAU "Mr. America," 1969 NABBA  "Amateur Mr. Universe," plus the coveted 1973 and 1975 NABBA "Professional Mr. Universe."
A superstar throughout the 1970s, Boyer had an exceptional year in 1981. At a height of five-feet, nine-inches and weighing approximately 215 pounds, he won four of nine professional physique contests. In 1994 he competed at his all-time heaviest bodyweight of 224 pounds and placed third at the IFBB "Masters MR. Olympia," contest. His final physique competition was the 1995 IFBB "Masters Mr. Olympia," where he finished in the top ten.
A short list of his titles:
1966 AAU Teen Mr. America
1968 AAU Junior Mr. USA
1969 AAU Junior Mr. America
1969 AAU Mr. America and Most Muscular
1969 NABBA Amateur Mr. Universe
1971 IFBB Mr. International
1971 WBBG Pro Mr. World
1972 WBBG Pro Mr. World
1973 NABBA Professional Mr. Universe
1974 WBBG Pro Mr. World
1975 NABBA Professional Mr. Universe
Asked what his greatest moment as a bodybuilder was, Boyer replied, "It wasn't winning a contest. I set a goal to bench press 400 pounds before I graduated from high school. I managed to accomplish that. The weight may not be a lot by current standards, but I only weighed around 180 pounds.
Boyer recalled in an interview:
"The first contest I entered was the AAU "Mr. Louisiana." I was 17 years old. I didn't own posing trunks, so I used a rolled-up swim suit. I was so excited about competing, I missed the line-up. When I realized I was the only one left in the warm-up room, I hurried out the wrong door and found myself in an alley. I ran around the block and came in through the audience and jumped on stage as the announcer called my name. I placed third, won "Most Muscular," and a couple of other bodyparts awards. On the way home, my dad said it was pretty clever how I got on stage. I didn't have the heart to tell him it was because I got locked out."
Boyer began weight-training at at the local gym in Lake Charles, Louisiana, at age 14. He remembers Lloyd "Red" Lerille, the 1960 "Mr. America" winner, coming to the Lake Charles YMCA for a posing exhibition. "He didn't do anything fancy, but he inspired everyone there. I knew from then on I wanted to become a competitive bodybuilder. Red and I became lifelong friends. He's remained a positive figure in my life."
Coe moved to Lafayette to attend the University of Southern Louisiana, where he trained at Red Lerill's Health and Racquet Club and then worked for Lerille for 14 years. Later he bought a health food store and opened a health club in New Orleans. He next worked for Arthur Jones, of Nautilus Gym  Equipment, and later became the sales representitive for Body Masters Gym Equipment.
Beginning in 1994, Coe, Shawn Ray, and Lenda Murray hosted the 'Flex Magazine Work Out' on ESPN for the following five years. He commented, That's the most enjoyable thing I've done in bodybuilding, although we didn't have a good time-slot. Fans got up at two o'clock in the morning to watch the show.
In the 2000's, the "Ragin Cajun," as Coe came to be known, lives in Huntington Beach, California, where he operates an insurance company specializing in exotic, classic, and high-preformance automobiles. At age 76, he continues to take his workouts seriously, training at 5:00 a.m. at a health club near his home. He stated, "I have the gym nearly to myself and I like it that way."
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #504 on: November 03, 2022, 06:34:39 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #505 on: November 04, 2022, 06:31:47 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #506 on: November 04, 2022, 09:51:29 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #507 on: November 04, 2022, 01:16:44 PM »
   CASEY "THE KID" VIATOR
Born in 1951, Casey grew up in the heart of Cajun country, in New Iberia, Louisiana, population 30,000. He began strength-training at age 13, in his parents' garage using a barbell inherited from an uncle.
In 1968, at age 17, Viator placed third at the AAU Mr. Louisiana contest. The following year, he placed sixth at the AAU Teen Mr. America, then in 1970, he won that contest and the AAU Mr. USA event. In 1971, he was named the AAU Mr. America, becoming the youngest to win the title. At age 19, standing five-feet, eight-inches tall, and weighing 218 pounds, won the 1971 AAU Mr. America crown.
At that time, Casey's daily diet consisted of two dozen eggs, two gallons of raw milk, and a pudding made from two pounds of peanut butter, one jar of grape jelly, and three or four bananas.
He recalls his father shedding few tears when he left home.
During the decade that followed, Viator continued to engage in hardcore conditioning, In 1980, he won the IFBB Louisiana Grand  Prix and the IFBB Pennsylvania Pro Grand Prix. In 1982, he finished third, ahead of Samir Bannout, Albert Beckles and Tom Platz, at the IFBB Mr. Olympia contest, won by Chris Dickerson.
Those retracing the bodybuilding scene of the 1970s remember Casey for his brief but ferocious workouts. Jan Dellinger, former staff writer of Strength & Health magazine, recalled:
Casey spent time hanging around the York gym following his AAU "Mr. America" win. A decade later, the hardcore lifters still remarked on seeing Viatore perform a bunch of reps with the intire stack on the Universal leg extension machine; with 45 pound plates on the weight leg in front of the roollers; followed immediately by full- squats with 500 pounds for reps.
Casey's phenomenal physique was in part a by-product of High-Intensity Training Principles, suggested by Arthur Jones  of Nautilus Gym Equipment, and from guidance given by former Mr. America winners, Boyer Coe and Lloyd "Red" Lerille.
In 1973, Jones put Viator through the Colorado Experiment, held at Department of Physical Education at Colorado State University, in Fort Collins. During the experiment, Casey packed on 45 pounds of muscle while losing approximently 18 pounds of body-fat within a four-week period, by taking only 14 high-intensity workouts averaging 34 minutes each.
A limited explanation for such improvement was that Casey, due to losing part of a finger in an industrial accident, had not weight-trained for approximently four months. Because his weight and strength had declined considerably during his layoff, Viator was expected to make noticeable gains, but not the kind of improvement he actually attained.
Viator retired from physique competition in 1995, when he placed out the top ten at the IFBB Masters Olympia contest.
In the early 2000s, Casey reported he was still capable of a 500 pound bench press and a 600 pound squat. His hardcore, ball-busting training had not changed and he usually performed a two-days-on, one-day off, two-days-on, weekends off routine. The workouts lasted no more than 45 minutes to an hour.   
Casey the "Kid" Viator died from a massive heart attack in 2013. He was 62 years old.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #508 on: November 06, 2022, 03:17:36 AM »
  HAROLD POOLE
Harold Damien Poole, born December 25, 1943, in Louisville, Kentucky.
Harold Poole was 13 years old when his family moved to Indianapolis, Indiana, where he attended Shortridge High School and blossomed into an outstanding all-around athlete. His track coach, Roy Aberson, anadvocate of strength-training introduced him to weights. As a result, following three years of training at Fred Hofmeister's Gym, in Indianapolis, Haroldgained 40 pounds of muscle.
In 1960, at age 16, Poole became the youngest AAU "Mr. America" contestant, finishing in 18th place. By age 18, at a height of five-feet, ten inches and weighing 200 pounds, Harold was the starting quarterback for his high school football team. He finished fourth in the state wrestling championships, ran 440 yards in 50 seconds, and putt the 12 pound shot 55 feet.
In 1962, Loren Comstock wrote in Strength & Health magazine:
Every few years, there appears on the bodybuilding scene a personality with exceptional development. These individuals posses not only large muscular size, but have amazing definition and shape. At the time of this writing I believe a new physique star of the aforementioned proportions stands on the brink of physical greatness. The individual of whom I speak so highly is Harold Poole, an 18-year old high-scool senior from Indianapolis, Indiana. Harold was winning physique contests at age of 16, when most neophyte bodybuilders are startin to take an interest in the covers of physical culture magazines.
From the ages of 17 to 19, Harold won 11 amateur physique events, including the 1961 AAU "Junior Mr. America" and "Most Muscular" titles. He was runner-up at the 1962 and 1963 AAU "Mr. America" competitions.
There is little doubt racial prejudice prevented Poole from winning the overall AAU "Mr. America" crown. The excuse AAU judges often gave was that Harold, who suffered from a speech problem and had taken a year off from school to attend the Bogue Institute for Stammerers, would not be an "appropriate representitive" for the AAU "Mr. America" title. It is easy to imagine how hurtful this argument would be to a young man who not only dreamed of becoming "Mr. America," but had the genetiv make-up and work ethic to cause it to happen.
At age 19, realizing he would probably not overcome the AAU prejudice, Harold changed affiliations to the IFBB and won the IFBB "Mr Universe" contest. The following year, he became the first African-American officially named "Mr. America." He then became the youngest to compete at the IFBB "Mr. Olympia" contest. He placed second in 1965,1966, and 1967, and won the WBBG "Professional Mr. America" titles in 1067 and 1968.
Known for popularizing the "Most Muscular" pose, Poole lists his strength records as a 550 pound squat, a 300 pound standing press and a bench press of 380 pounds. When asked regardin steroid use, he adamantly replied, In my youth I never took steroids. I never have! I never will!
As Poole's competitive bodybuilding career neared an end,, he spent time as a bodyguard for Twiggy Lawson, the English Model/Actress. He tried his hand at professional wrestling under the alias of "Prince Poole of Tahiti," and then moved ti the in-vogue, world-famous midtown Manhatten disco nightclub, the Cheetah", where he worked up to a managerial position.
In the late 1970s and early 1980s, Harold returned to competitive bodybuilding as Damien Poole. He retired from competition following the 1982 IFBB "Night of Champions" after finishing out of the top ten.
In late 2009, Poole lived in Titusville, Florida, where , along with regular weight -training, he com
ntinued to practice martial arts, with his primary focus on Tae Kwon Do. At age 64, weighing 273 pounds, he was considering a return to the stage for the 2008 IFBB "Masters Olympia" competition, but was prevented from making a comeback due to a serious liver ailment that put him in intensive care for six weeks.
Harold Damien Poole was inducted into the Joe Weider Hall of Fame in 2004 and the WBBG Hall of Fame in 2007.
Harold died, August 7th 2014, aged 70.
F

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #509 on: November 07, 2022, 01:34:25 AM »
Joe Weider Hall Of Fame  ???

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #510 on: November 07, 2022, 04:25:14 AM »
   JAN TODD  ...  A VERY STRONG LADY
Dr. Jan Todd, born May 22, 1952, in Lock #4, Pennsylvania, remembers being troubled by insecurities as a youngster. She was nine years old when her sister, age eleven, died suddenly of a convulsive illness. Jan recalled, "Each time I got sick, I was sure I was going to die, like Susie." This vulnarability did not improve when her father abandoned the family and left Jan, her mother and younger sister with a $40 bank account.
As a teenager, Jan's mental frailty shifted from her mortality to her body image. "I wasn't really fat," she said, "but I looked like a different breed of the same animal. Most of the fit girls resembled thoroughbreds or cow ponies, but I favored the Budweiser Clydesdale, even though I outran everyone in my gym classes and was good in swimming and other sports.
In her freshman year in college, Jan accidently discovered how she possessed more than natural hand strength. At age 18, her estranged father invited her to Chicago for the Christmas holidays. The first place they visited was the Chicago Museum of Natural History. While strolling through the  exhibits, they came across a device to test hand-grip strength. Jan's dad, a six-foot, 220-pound steel worker, squeezed the handle and registered a very high score. He asked Jan to try, and to the amazement of both, her score registered higher. Each tried again with the same results.
The secret of Jan's exceptional overall strength became apparent when she was a student at Georgia's Mercer University. During a picnic, a group of college male athletes attempted the "caber" toss and she accomplished what only two of the men could do, by hurling the heaviest log pole end-over-end. Dr.Terry Todd, the University's "Weightlifting Professor," was so impressed he began courting his future bride.
Terry and Jan married in 1973, and from that time forward their lives revolved around the Iron Game. Terry designed a weight-training program for Jan aimed at general conditioning, with no thought of pushing against her limits. However, in 1975, Jan entered her first powerlifting contest and deadlifted 394 1/2 pounds."
With one exception, for each competition Jan entered over the following ten years, she shattered at least one national or world record. With the hand strength to  bend bottle-caps with her fingers and pound large nails into blocks of wood with her bare hands, she reigned as the only powerlifter, male or female, to rule over five body-weight divisions. Her appearane in 1977 on "The Tonight Show," where she performed a deadlift with 415 pounds for eight repetitions was seen by an estimated audience of 20 million. Lifetime drug free, Jan was the first woman to set an IPF world record that was drug-tested. She also served as Chair-Person of the IPF Women's Committee for four years
From 1975 to 1986, Jan was listed in the "Guinness Book of World Records" for having lifted more weight than any female.  "Sports Illustrated" named her the "Strongest Woman in the World." In 1978, she became the first female to total 1,000 pounds; and, over the years,she was the first to total 1,100 and then 1,200 in the three powerlifts. She was also the first female to officially squat 500 pounds and later perform an official squat of 545 1/2 pounds. Terry remarked, "Jan was farther ahead of her peers in this lift than anyone except for Paul Anderson. I saw her squat five reps with 505 pounds , without a squat suit, while no other woman could perform one repetition, with a suit. For years, she was more than 100 pounds ahead of any female competitor in that lift." 
Jan  became the first woman to conquer the legendary 785 pound "Dinnie Stones," a feat no other female has yet accomplished. Each of the two stones features a heavy iron ring hand grip and weighs, respectively, 345 and 440 pounds. In1978, in front of the massive/powerful strength athlete Bill Kazmaier, Highland Games expert David Webster, husband Dr. Terry Todd and a "Sports Illustrated" photographer, Jan straddled the boulders and managed to raise them off the ground. While training for this exceptional feat, she executed, with the aid of wrist straps, a partial deadlift with 1,230 pounds.
In 1987, Jan retired from competitive powerlifting to begin work on her Ph.D. Her studies were cut short  when she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Unbelievable as it seems, during one phase of her recovery, she struggled to exercise with ten-pound dumbbells. "She never lost heart," Terry said, adding that in 1996, she exceeded the ADFPA world record with a deadlift of 460 pounds.
From 1983 to 1996, the Todds coached the University of Texas Longhorns to several national powerlifting championships.
Even though Jan was teaching full time, she nonetheless earned her doctoral degree in 1995, and wrote a dissertation published as a book entitled, "Physical Culture and the Body Beautiful: Purposive Exercise in the Lives of American Women". Likewise, she has written more than 100 articles for a variety of academic and popular journals, contributed several book chapters and co-authored "Lift Your Way to Youthful Fitness." .
Jan continues to act as a full professor at the University of Texas, and co-edits "Iron Game History," a quarterly journal. She also co-directs the H. J. Lutcher Stark Center for Physical Culture and Sports at the University, a combination library/museum, which houses tens of thousands of books, magazines, photographs, videos, training courses, posters and audiotapes.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #511 on: November 09, 2022, 10:28:56 AM »
   lOU FERRIGNO ... THE HULK
lou Ferrigno was the oldest of three siblings and at age two, he suffered a series of ear infections, causing him to lose 85 percent of his hearing. Lou Remarked:
When I reached the age to be aware of my affliction, I became reluctant to speak. My speech was beveled and it registered shock on the faces of those who initiated conversation with me. Kids called me 'deaf Louie' or 'tin ear.'  As a result, I opted to avoid embarrassment by keeping to myself.
Lou's formal education began at St. Athanasius Shool, where he was taught by nuns. He later attended classes at the New York League of the Hard of Hearing; and at age 16, he enrolled in Brooklyn Technical High School. "I would deliberatley seek a chair near the bach of the classrooms and turn my head so teachers wouldn't see my hearing aid," he said. "I reasoned it wouldn't call attention to my impediment and tip off my classmates. Unfortunately, this put me out of range for effective lip-reading. Consequently, my grades were poor, which merely served to underscore the notion I was dumb as well as deaf."
Lou inherited his natural athletic ability from his father, Matthew, a New York City Police Department Lieutenant; but when his overly-critical parent watched him participate in organized sports, Lou invariably had a terrible game. "I'd tense up, sweat, and be so nervous because I knew he was watching and waiting to criticize me for something."
At age 14, while attending summer camp, Ferrigno noticed a counselor working out with weights. The advisor demonstrated a few basic exercises and "Big Lou" was hooked! Using the crude weight equipment his father had trained on, Lou built a home-gym in their basement; however, he concentrated so heavily on bodybuilding it affected his school grades even more. As a result, his father chained and padlocked the equipment, causing Lou, in retaliation, to use a hacksaw on the padlock and continued his training. It was finally agreed that Lou could spend time in his basement gym if he spent equal time on his studies.
Frrrigno entered his first physique contest in 1970 at age 19, and finished last out of 22 contestants! Nevertheless, he went on to win the WBBG "Professional Junior Mr. America." By his early 20s, he tipped the scale at 275 pounds, with his chest measuring 59-inches; waist, 34-inches; upper arms, 22 1/2 inches; thighs, 29-inches; and neck, 19-inches. In 1973, he won the IFBB "Mr. America" title. In 1974, Lou finished third at the IFBB "Mr Olympia"contest; and his final physique competition occured in 1994, when he placed second to Robby Robinson at the IFBB Masters Olympia event, where he weighed over 300 pounds in peak contest condition.
In 1977, golden opportunities erupted for "Big Lou," beginning with his appearance as Arnold Schwarzenegger's foil in the film Pumping Iron. Then, an excellent finish on ABC's TV Superstars, won him $13,900 in prize money and an offer to try out for a professional football team. Next, he competed in the first "World's Strongest Man" contest, where  he finished fourth.
Ferrigno's largest early financial gains occurred when he landed the title role in The Incredible Hulk, the highly-rated television series that ran from 1978 to 1982. His massive physique was seen by millions as he transformed from a quiet, pleasing individual into a green-tinted 300 pound uncontrollable monster. "The Hulk" was such a success, it spawned several television movies, enabling Lou to remain busy in television and films. His filmography lists nearly 30 television and screen appearances.
 In 1980, Ferrigno married Carla Green, a psychotherapist. Along with his continued big-screen, television, and public appearances, he conducts fitness training in his private gym on their multi-acre Santa Monica estate. (this is excerpted from Bill's "Legends of the Iron Game" volume 3, so is not current)
In his book, My Incredible Life as the Hulk, released in 2003, Lou remarked:
Each and every one has his own "little hulk" inside him. If I had not lost my hearing, I would not be where I am. It forced me to maximize my potential. I had to be better than  average to succeed. That's why I chose bodybuilding. I knew if I was a world champion and won admiration from my peers, I could accomplish anything.
Featured on 39 magazine covers from 1972 to 1996, Lou was inducted into the Joe Weider Hall of Fame in 2003. On February 11, 2006 he was sworn in as Los Angeles County Reserve Deputy Sheriff. His duties include helping recruit new deputies and working with the sherriff's Youth Activities League and the Special Victims Bureau.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #512 on: November 09, 2022, 11:05:41 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #513 on: November 09, 2022, 12:22:54 PM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #516 on: November 10, 2022, 04:07:08 AM »
  GARY JONES  ...  GENIUS, ENTREPRENEUR, AND HECK OF A NICE GUY, IN SPITE OF HIS FATHER
Gary Jones, former owner/designer of Hammer Strength exercise equipment company, was born in 1952, in New Orleans, Louisiana. He spent his early childhood in Slidell, Louisiana, where his father, the eccentric visionary Arthur Jones, of Nautilus Sports/Medical Industries, Inc., at that time, operated a "Wild Animal Farm."
 Although Arthur was American, English was not Gary's primary language due to his mother's Hispanic heritage; consequently, he did not speak English until he entered grade school.
Gary experienced a more than an unusual childhood as the son of an obsessed self-seeker. Arthur, a third-world mercenary, packed a loaded pistol in his waist band and owned and operated an import/export enterprise that specialized in snakes, a variety of reptiles, and other exotic animals.
Gary recalled traveling to Latin America and Africa as a youngster, in a cargo airplane piloted by his father. On these trips, it was always, "Yes Sir...Mr.Jones," to anything Arthur demanded or required."
During the 1950's and 1960's, Arthur was also a well-known television personality. His syndicated series included: Wild Cargo, Capture, Professional Hunter, and Call of the Wild. His final television production, "Operation Elephant aired on CBS in 1970.
As a youngster, Gary did not realize how extraordinary it was to have been involved in the care and feeding of crocodiles, lions, tigers, snakes, and other creatures warehoused at his dad's Slidell, Louisiana, wild animal park. He claims he developed his people skills by showing customers and visitors around the compound and regarded bites from snakes or jaguars as common occurances.
In 1965, the Jones family moved to Africa, where Arrhur continued his extensive wildlife movie projects. Gary fortunately found the British school system to his liking as he pursued his interests in math, science and physics. 
In Rhodesia, Gary discovered a more moderate mentor than his father. The man was a retired engineer who was part of the South African chess team and who, at one time, had tied with world champion Bobby Fisher.
Gary recalled being taught to practice the game of chess without the aide of the Queen or Bishops, forcing Rooks and Knights to accomplish a check-mate. "This strategy of doing something the hard way was a terrific lesson that I employed years later in my manufacturing business," he said.
Recalling their final months in Rhodesia, where his family lived on the edge of a war zone and had to travel and socialize "armed to the teeth," Gary currently views rifle-toting children of war-torn third world countries with a feeling of unpleasant familiarity.
In 1968, Gary's father had reach a point of "no-cooperation" with Rhodesian government officials and made arrangements for his $1.5 million worth of cameras, sound equipment, a helicopter, and two airplanes to be shipped state side. Unfortunately, the Rhodesian government confiscated the lot, which Arthur never recovered.
Returning to Louisiana, approximetely $5 million in debt, Arthur borrowed $2,500 from his sister to begin the design of a prototype resistance exercise machine in the family's one-car garage. Working alongside Arthur, 16-year old Gary designed an off-centered cam, configured like a seashell, which they installed in the unit to cause the resistance of the exercise to vary as the users worked their muscles through their range of motion.
Gary's father's strategy for marketing the revolutionary exercise piece became the adopted, "one-set to failure" principle, which Arthut coined as "High Intensity Training."
Labeled the "Blue Monster," the prototype version of the multi-purpose Nautilus machine was previewed at the 1970 AAU Mr. America contest, held in Culver City, California. Arthur, accompanied by Gary, had transported the unit in a rented trailer, arriving with seven dollars in change and an expired credit card.
The following 14 years, Gary worked for Nautilus Sports/Medical Industries, Inc., in conjunction with two years at Stetson University and nine years with the Orlando Fire Department.
By 1984, approximately 4,700 Nautilus Fitness Centers existed in the United States, with complete lines of Nautilus equipment in physical rehabilitation centers, professional sports team training rooms, colleges, high schools, and private training facilities.
In 1986, Nautilus Sports/Medical Industries, Inc., was sold to Texas oilman, Travis Ward for $23 million. Gary stayed on as Vice President and Director of Manufacturing for six months, but grew disguntled with the new management and walked out without a goodby.
In 1988. Gary partnered with Peter Brown and Kim Wood to found the Hammer Strength Corporation, which went into direct competition against Nautilus.
Aligning himself with Brown and Wood caused a severe rift to develope between Gary and his dad, due to the partners having sued Nautilus Sports/Medical Industries, Inc., for the violation of their distributor's franchise agreement, following the sale of the corporaton.
Furthermore, when Gary abruptly abandoned Nautilus, with Travis Ward still owing his father millions of dollars, Arthur became so bitter regarding the trio's alliance that he alledgely said, "Gary's not my son! He's given up that right."
Gary responded, "It's true. I potentially cost Nautilus millions of dollars by walking away from the company. I was the son of the founder. I had a tremendous amount of information, and I was thought to be an enemy of the corporation.
Similar to the success of Nautilus exercise machines, Hammer Strength grew to be the number-one brand for plate-loading exercise equipment almost overnight, with sales in the millions of dollars per year.
Gary, responsible for the design and manufacturing of the Hammer Strength machines, used a highly sophisticated computer program he had written and later sold to  Hewlett-Packard Company. He remarked, "I was one of those kids who studied multi-dimensional calculus. I was doing flight problems for my dad before I was old enough to go to school.
In 1997, Hammer Strength sold to Life Fitness Inc., a division of Brunswick Corporation for an estimated $32 million. Gary then worked for Life Fitness as he mentored the younger engineers.
In 2019, Gary and his wife Brenda, divide their free time between homes in Florida and Colorado.
Regarding his late father, Gary commented, "I got nothing...zilch, zip, zero, from the sale of Nautilus. I had no ownership which was the way my dad wanted it. The only financial opportunity I felt I had was to start a new business competing in the field I knew. Arthur taught me a lot. I still read all his books and articles. But he believed in throwing you to the sharks. If you survived, he added more sharks. I didn't mind competing against the outside, but I didn't need that kind of competition from the inside. Understand, I'm not saying my dad was evil. It's just the way it was."
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #517 on: November 11, 2022, 03:58:19 AM »
  RICKEY DALE CRAIN...THE ENERGIZER BUNNY
Rickey Dale Crain, born in Phoenix, Arizona in 1953, was teethed on a dumbbell-shaped rattle and encouraged by his powerlifting father to follow in his footsteps.
Rickey began weight training at age two and was soon deadlifting triple his bodyweight. At age ten, he deadlifted 200 pounds, and at age 26, he became the first middleweight (165 pounds) to officially squat 700 pounds.
Crain graduated from Grand Rapids Central High School in 1971, and earned his college degree in 1978, at Black Hills State University. At BHSU, he was involved in college choir, coffee house programs, christian missionary work, and powerlifting. 
In  1975, Rickey captured the first AAU "Mr. South Dakota" physique title. However, powerlifting was his major focus.
During the course of his 35 years as a powerlifter, Crain was a Pan-American Games winner, ten-time National Champion and five-time World Champion.  He competed as a midleweight, (165 pounds) in which his top lifts included an 800-pound squat; 440-pound bench press, and a 716-pound deadlift.
Asked in an interview regarding one of the most important lessons his father taught him, Rickey replied, "To believe in yourself  and  work hard ... very hard!"
In 1978, Rickey established Crian's Muscle World, Ltd., a mail-order businesses catering to powerlifters. His involvement in the field had an unexpected pay-off when in 1981, he  married Kimberly Ann Vaughn, the Teenage National Women's Powerlifting Champion. The couple authored the books,  To Squat or Not to Squat; Extreme Squatting, and Extreme Deadlifting.
However, Rickey and Kimberly were not the only members of the Crian family to have excelled in powerlifting. Rickey's father, Donald, held national and world records. Rickey's brother, Randy Lee Crain, was a state and  regional champion; and their sister, Gayla Sue Crain, held all the women's IPF world records in the 114-123 and 132-pound classes. Together, Rickey and Sue comprised the only brother/sister IPF World Champions. Rickey and Kimberly's children, Samantha and Rickey Lee, also developed into national and world title holders.
Dr Fred Hatfield, former world powerlifting champion and former President of the International Sports Science Association remaked: "It's rare in sports to find an athlete who's wise enough and committed enough to compete at the highest level for over 35 years. The omnipresent of injury catches up with anyone who dares to remain in the trench that long. Not so with Rickey Dale Crain. Wisdom and commitment always mitigates and Crain has both. This comes through in all that he does."
The Crain's still live in Shawnee, Oklahoma, where they oversee Crain's Muscle World Ltd. Rickey maintains his status in powerlifting by contributing articles and coaching at his gym. In the early 2000's, he made the decision to climb a group of 54 mountain peaks in Colorado whose summits are in the 14,000 foot range. In 2007, seven weeks  after a total hip replacement, he rested on the top of the highest mountain in the state.
In addition to mountain climbing Crain has remained a resolute guitarist and has written hundreds of original songs, and recorded albums. He commented, "My whole family is into music. My dad was a trumpet player in the Oklahona University Marching Band. My sister and brother taught high school music. His group had a top-40 song in the 1970's. My daughter toured and released three CD's with Ramseur Records."
Rickey Dale Crain,"The Energizer Bunny," was inducted into the Powerlifting Hall of Fame in 2000. In 2010, when asked for a message to aspiring powerlifters, he responded, "If you wanna get strong ... downright strong ... you gotta do the Big One. You gotta do the SQUAT!"
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #518 on: November 14, 2022, 03:40:09 AM »
  BEV FRANCES ... AT AGE 66, SCORED 6 WORLD RECORDS
In 2021, Bev Francis returned to the powerlifting scene for her first meet in more than three decades.
Bev is a legend in the world of strength, owning  one of the most famous gyms. She returned to powerlifting and made a major splash in her comeback.
In 1985, was the last time that Francis made an appearance as a powerlifter, dealing with injuries that stopped her from being able to consistently compete. Since then, she has become known for her Powerhouse Gym, being dubbed the “East Coast Mecca” where multiple Mr. Olympia champions including Ronnie Coleman, Jay Cutler, as well an actor Dwayne Johnson and powerlifters, come to New York to train there.
Bev made her return to competition by competing at a drug tested meet for Powerlifting Australia. Here, she appeared in the 65-69 year old age group for the 64kg division, where at 66 years old, she was able to get a total of 6 new world records, breaking and then re-breaking the records in squat and total, as well as setting new records for her bench press and deadlift.
This only becomes more incredible when you consider the amount and type of the injuries that Bev has delt with over the years. According to Flex Magazine, she has had rotator cuff shoulder surgery, both wrists carpal tunnel surgeries, six arthroscopic knee surgeries and two full knee replacements.
 Like wise, Bev is known for more than just her powerlifting skills, as she was also an accomplished bodybuilder, competing for the Ms. Olympia title on six occasions, being the runner-up twice, and coming in third a further three times. Additionally, she won the IFBB Pro World Championships, before becoming an ambassador for the sport.
It is unclear if Bev will continue to compete, following in the steps of athletes like Rudy Kadlub and others, competing later in life.
F

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #520 on: November 14, 2022, 09:04:23 AM »
Looks like a zit factory.
279 LBS  :o CLOSE TO OR ALMOST 100 LBS MORE THAN HIS DAD.....

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #521 on: November 14, 2022, 11:03:02 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #522 on: November 14, 2022, 11:16:20 AM »

&t=1144s
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #523 on: November 14, 2022, 11:34:31 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #524 on: November 15, 2022, 12:32:12 PM »

F