Author Topic: Holiday tipping?  (Read 2739 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
Re: Holiday tipping?
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2022, 09:39:38 AM »
I vote robcguns as the most generous Getbigger.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2022, 11:52:21 AM »
My dad used to tip everyone during the holidays.

He would give the trash crew a few 6 packs of quality beer too.

I generally tip people for services provided, and i tip well year-round.

Feels weird for me to give some sort of holiday bonus, but it makes sense to do so.

I don't see the mail person since we have a community cluster box.

Trash people in my area just operate a hydraulic arm that does all the work. Not sure what they need a tip for, and they get paid pretty well.

Back when the garbage men did it all with their hands i can see the point.

When i go to Mexico with my GF, i tip big because these people are actually getting paid substandard wages.

If you are working in food service within the USA for a substandard wage, that's your fault. Just my opinion.

Anyone can be successful in America.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2022, 12:26:01 PM »
Wow, kind of surprised at some of these responses. Now I know why I get superior service and friendliness from the people I gift.

I don't go out to eat if I don't want to spend the 20% on a tip. Always tipped decent - even when I was young and broke.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2022, 12:38:44 PM »
Wow, kind of surprised at some of these responses. Now I know why I get superior service and friendliness from the people I gift.

I don't go out to eat if I don't want to spend the 20% on a tip. Always tipped decent - even when I was young and broke.

Do you still tip for bad service?
X

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2022, 12:54:52 PM »

I've not done a zero tip at a sit down meal or at a bar in a long time. 10% would be minimum unless you shorted my order.

Usually a delay or food quality issue is the fault of the establishment. If the server screws up the order and fixes it I'm not going to get nuts about it.

Many times a bad first experience is last time I will go to a place. I prefer to be a regular at a couple nice places rather than try other places that are iffy.

Creatures of habit and all...

Zillotch

• Getbig V
  • the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2022, 02:38:47 PM »
tips r demeaning, and reduce the totality of a human to low grade groveling for peanuts (at least contextually)

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2022, 10:36:21 PM »

I've not done a zero tip at a sit down meal or at a bar in a long time. 10% would be minimum unless you shorted my order.

Usually a delay or food quality issue is the fault of the establishment. If the server screws up the order and fixes it I'm not going to get nuts about it.

Many times a bad first experience is last time I will go to a place. I prefer to be a regular at a couple nice places rather than try other places that are iffy.

Creatures of habit and all...

So what happens when you become a regular somewhere? Do you have to tip every single time or does the fact you are spending money frequently at an establishment mean you don’t have to tip?

What if you are a regular and don’t tip one time for whatever reason, does service get shifty with you next time you turn up?

I’m sure this is not confusing for Americans but for redards like myself I’d got batshit over tip etiquette and ultimately decide to tip nobody as that is the path of least resistance.

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2022, 09:28:51 AM »
This time of year I tip those who have provided good service to me throughout the year. For instance, girl who cuts my hair got $100.
T

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2022, 09:49:45 AM »
This time of year I tip those who have provided good service to me throughout the year. For instance, girl who cuts my hair got $100.

Wow.

Don't you also tip her when she cuts your hair?

Do you get a "happy ending" after the haircut?  For that $100 you should.

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2022, 11:23:54 AM »

I also got a haircut last week and tipped the girl 50.00 cause she is very cool.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2022, 11:31:30 AM »
I also got a haircut last week and tipped the girl 50.00 cause she is very cool and I would fuck her
fixed
hahaha they just shave your head
Cant you do that yourself?

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2022, 05:10:31 AM »
fixed
hahaha they just shave your head
Cant you do that yourself?

Hahah,I have hair now, I stopped shaving my head about 4 years ago, the sides and back shaved but the top is about 1” long.

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2022, 11:08:38 AM »
Wow.

Don't you also tip her when she cuts your hair?

Do you get a "happy ending" after the haircut?  For that $100 you should.
No happy ending. People in the service industry typically earn a low salary and depend on their customers for added income.
T

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2022, 10:57:51 PM »
So what happens when you become a regular somewhere? Do you have to tip every single time or does the fact you are spending money frequently at an establishment mean you don’t have to tip?

What if you are a regular and don’t tip one time for whatever reason, does service get shifty with you next time you turn up?

I’m sure this is not confusing for Americans but for redards like myself I’d got batshit over tip etiquette and ultimately decide to tip nobody as that is the path of least resistance.

I'm still tipping...it's for the waitstaff/bartender not the establishment. They usually pool their tips so they all know who tips well. My service is great, cocktails are stiff as a board and they comp me a drink or appetizer now and then. It's not that complicated, attractive women like $$$...makes them friendly.  8)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2022, 12:01:15 AM »
So I tip my mail guy,trash man,bus drivers for kids and some people think I’m weird for this.

I tip each one 50.00 for Xmas, they are all so friendly and helpful. If I put the trash out he take sit no matter what it is, if I forget he comes to door to get it. Bus drivers are so nice to my kids and the mailman is great as well.

Just curious if any of you do the same and if there is anyone else you may tip for the holidays. My parents did it so I guess I learned it there.

Commendable... I agree these folks do us a great service. Some of them like your garbage collector go out of their way for us.  Like you, I tip them at Christmas as a small token of my thanks for all they do. You are not weird; you are a thoughtful person who appreciates the work of others specially when it benefits you and your family.

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2022, 12:30:12 AM »
Commendable... I agree these folks do us a great service. Some of them like your garbage collector go out of their way for us.  Like you, I tip them at Christmas as a small token of my thanks for all they do. You are not weird; you are a thoughtful person who appreciates the work of others specially when it benefits you and your family.

Maybe others feel it's weird because now if they don't tip the garbage collector they'll receive worse service. Tipping the garbage collector is basically conditioning him to provide 2 different levels of service, one for those that tip and one for those that don't.

Eventually everyone ends up tipping $50 otherwise they risk having garbage left strewn over their yard and bins dumped haphazardly. Then some idiot starts tipping $200 and the problems starts all over again. This is how a racketeering starts.

If you want to show a small token of thanks, give them a gift, a case of beers or a bottle of champagne or something.

Dalnet

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2022, 01:04:22 AM »
Maybe others feel it's weird because now if they don't tip the garbage collector they'll receive worse service. Tipping the garbage collector is basically conditioning him to provide 2 different levels of service, one for those that tip and one for those that don't.

Eventually everyone ends up tipping $50 otherwise they risk having garbage left strewn over their yard and bins dumped haphazardly. Then some idiot starts tipping $200 and the problems starts all over again. This is how a racketeering starts.

If you want to show a small token of thanks, give them a gift, a case of beers or a bottle of champagne or something.

champagne for the bin men? Knowing the type of guys my bin men are; I think they'd assume I'm a fucking fairy if I came out with that dressed in my pyjamas. A crate of beers they'd probably be OK with. But srs: I don't do this because it's some agency workers that keep getting changed, anyway so not like I've established a long term relationship with them. Gone are the days where you knew your bin men, bobby on the beat etc. It'd be nice to move to a small village, eventually with that oldy worldy feel.

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2022, 01:37:23 AM »
champagne for the bin men? Knowing the type of guys my bin men are; I think they'd assume I'm a fucking fairy if I came out with that dressed in my pyjamas. A crate of beers they'd probably be OK with. But srs: I don't do this because it's some agency workers that keep getting changed, anyway so not like I've established a long term relationship with them. Gone are the days where you knew your bin men, bobby on the beat etc. It'd be nice to move to a small village, eventually with that oldy worldy feel.

The champagne would be for him to share or give to his wife. I'd rather buy a gift for a mans wife or kids than for him, even if I've never met them and just let him collect the brownie points for it. A man buying another man a gift is in more danger of being labelled a "fairy".

If you don't talk to your garbage collector and don't know his family situation then you really don't need to bother doing anything tip/gift wise.

Phantom Spunker

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • Ze/Zir
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2022, 01:55:33 AM »
My binman can get fucked. Left me with a full bin just because I had a tin of paint in there, the fat bastard. He'd be getting this treatment with the champagne:

And as for the hairdresser who gave me a Hankins Special and removed my hairline, my only tip for her is to quit her job and become a stripper instead.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2022, 10:38:39 AM »

I do in restaurants, but I'll knock it down 5 - 10% depending on whether it is a place I frequent. If the service or food is really bad I complain to management. Since almost all tips are pooled now, there is no other way for management to know when something is wrong so they can fix it.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2022, 10:51:36 AM »
I was always told Americans tip to make up for very low wages. Is that true?

Wages are particularly low in the food service and hotel industries. Other service employees like the US postal service, trash haulers and gardeners make decent wages. Giving them something at Christmas is not technically a tip. It is a gift.

I no longer get the Oregonian delivered, but when I did, I found it a bit odd that the newspaper carrier would leave a self-addressed envelope inside the paper as if to say she expected a tip. Also, U.S. postal service employees are not allowed to accept cash gifts. It is best to leave them an actual gift and it should be valued under $20 because that is the limit they are allowed to accept.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2022, 10:56:46 AM »
I think that's mostly waiters and waitresses.

Tipping culture is a nightmare. Thankfully it's not really a thing here.

The only people that get tipped for Xmas is a paper boy and maybe the cleaner.

Tipping culture varies from country to country. In Germany it is common to round up the bill at a restaurant. A 20% tip is nearly unheard of and can actually be considered an insult.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2022, 11:01:42 AM »
Yes, tipping culture is a nightmare.

Rory and I ordered Italian food from a restaurant for pickup. When I picked it up, they gave me the receipt to sign and there was a place to leave a tip (I know all receipts have a spot for this) but I did not leave a tip. I was just picking up my food. Who exactly should I tip?

I don’t tip any of those those workers. I’m over tipping and will only tip when I go out to eat if it’s good service. I stopped tipping for bad service.

It irks me when I pay for an order in the drive-thru, the machine they use to process my credit card has built in tip amounts. You have to select one of them to complete the process. I make it a point to hit the 0% tip button.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2022, 11:13:02 AM »
My dad used to tip everyone during the holidays.

He would give the trash crew a few 6 packs of quality beer too.

I generally tip people for services provided, and i tip well year-round.

Feels weird for me to give some sort of holiday bonus, but it makes sense to do so.

I don't see the mail person since we have a community cluster box.

Trash people in my area just operate a hydraulic arm that does all the work. Not sure what they need a tip for, and they get paid pretty well.

Back when the garbage men did it all with their hands i can see the point.

When i go to Mexico with my GF, i tip big because these people are actually getting paid substandard wages.

If you are working in food service within the USA for a substandard wage, that's your fault. Just my opinion.

Anyone can be successful in America.

During the holidays, my late wife would keep a stash of small candy canes in her purse which she would hand out everywhere she went, the gas station, grocery store and doctor's office. At restaurants we frequented, she'd give our server a handful to share with their co-workers. Candy canes cost pennies, but people seemed impressed and pleased to get them. Places where a tip was appropriate the candy cane was in addition to the tip. It was her way of spreading holiday cheer. She was an amazingly thoughtful person.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2022, 11:16:23 AM »
The champagne would be for him to share or give to his wife. I'd rather buy a gift for a mans wife or kids than for him, even if I've never met them and just let him collect the brownie points for it. A man buying another man a gift is in more danger of being labelled a "fairy".

If you don't talk to your garbage collector and don't know his family situation then you really don't need to bother doing anything tip/gift wise.

The last thing anyone would want is to be labeled a fairy for giving someone a token gift.  ::)