Author Topic: Pro Bodybuilding Weekly Play by Play  (Read 7320 times)

thisiskeith12

Re: Pro Bodybuilding Weekly Play by Play
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2006, 05:59:43 PM »
No disrespect dude, but that statement makes you sound really young and inexperienced.  There are a lot of dollars in play in the BBing industry.

Mainly in the media and supplement industry. Not in contests.

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2006, 06:00:04 PM »
No disrespect dude, but that statement makes you sound really young and inexperienced.  There are a lot of dollars in play in the BBing industry.

I'm talking about contest promotion. No offense to you, but you sound young and inexperienced when it comes to reading comprehension ;D

thisiskeith12

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2006, 06:01:58 PM »

I must admit 240, I like discussing things with you... I am lucky it 11am where I am at the moment or else I would be too tired to do this..

No disrespect to Lee with the list below.

1. Ronnie is more popular than Lee
2. Jay is more popular
3. Gunter is more popular than the above and better known in Australia than Lee is.
4. Markus is more popular
5. Chris Cormier is more popular

The fact is.. you cannot compare the PGA/Tiger to IFBB/Ronnie.. Whole different universe.

BTW, dont be disrespecting Mickey Mouse.. I bet Disney has earnt a fair bit of money over the years! ;D

Dex is also more popular

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2006, 06:03:24 PM »
Contest promotion is tied to mag and supp sales pretty closely.  To seperate the two is impossible.  

Throw in bodies like BBing.com, which do shows/sales/forums/etc, and they're all in the same boat, sink or swim.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2006, 06:09:32 PM »
Contest promotion is tied to mag and supp sales pretty closely.  To seperate the two is impossible. 

Throw in bodies like BBing.com, which do shows/sales/forums/etc, and they're all in the same boat, sink or swim.

Contests will get some money from advertisers such as media and supps, but outside of that, zilch. The supplement industry and media industry that covers the sport combine for hundred of millions, possibly billions? Whereas, contests generally don't break even or just slightly tip the scale.

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2006, 06:11:32 PM »

I must admit 240, I like discussing things with you... I am lucky it 11am where I am at the moment or else I would be too tired to do this..

No disrespect to Lee with the list below.

1. Ronnie is more popular than Lee
2. Jay is more popular
3. Gunter is more popular than the above and better known in Australia than Lee is.
4. Markus is more popular
5. Chris Cormier is more popular

The fact is.. you cannot compare the PGA/Tiger to IFBB/Ronnie.. Whole different universe.

BTW, dont be disrespecting Mickey Mouse.. I bet Disney has earnt a fair bit of money over the years! ;D

I agree. Comparing professional bodybuilding to mainstream sports is foolish.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2006, 06:19:06 PM »

If they cant swim.. Let the bastards drown for all I care.. Have you paid for supplements lately? Its freaking extortion. The markup is astronomical. Let alone all the supplements that are falsely advertised that dont work!!!.. The general public are being screwed by the supplement companies. 

Tis because the average nutritional uneducated American thinks that glutamine is going to help them gain 20 lbs and lean muscle.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2006, 06:19:16 PM »
There is the problem, then.  Low expectations. You're shooting for the dirt.  The sport was twice as big in the early 1990s, so there is the potential to refill that vacuum.

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2006, 06:25:53 PM »
There is the problem, then.  Low expectations. You're shooting for the dirt.  The sport was twice as big in the early 1990s, so there is the potential to refill that vacuum.

We don't have low expectations, we have reasonable expectations. Let's face it, bodybuilding shows are boring. Just because the sport was bigger doesn't before doesn't mean it's going to return to that size. I don't know many young people who really like bodybuilding. Do you?

thisiskeith12

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2006, 06:32:05 PM »
There is the problem, then.  Low expectations. You're shooting for the dirt.  The sport was twice as big in the early 1990s, so there is the potential to refill that vacuum.

Actually, I think bodybuilding needs another Arnold. Though the competition is much sharper than when Arnold was doing it. Bodybuilding needs the family man and positive influence. Ronnie = unmarried/reserve cop. Someone at the top of a pro sport should be out doing things for it, getting it and himself recognition. Instead of flopping around with swim gear on of all shows, Jay Leno. That's where I think Jay Cutler could do some things for it. He's your classic throwback east coastener from a hard working family. He's visiting high schools, hospitals, he gets more publicity than Ronnie, and the like and he's not even the No. 1 bodybuilder.

We don't have low expectations, we have reasonable expectations. Let's face it, bodybuilding shows are boring. Just because the sport was bigger doesn't before doesn't mean it's going to return to that size. I don't know many young people who really like bodybuilding. Do you?

I agree with that bodybuilding show are boring for the most part. But where I'm from, bodybuilding is quite popular. I know MANY of people who keep up with it, and I have friends that go to school with me that have gone to the Olympia for the past few years. I have a friend who owns a supplement company here and another friend that started a bodybuilding apparel company with his brother. I think it has it's hot spots. One would be the south/southeast region, another would be southern california area, and another would be New York area.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2006, 06:47:23 PM »
No, attendance was double back then.  Crowds would follow the BBers through European airports, and the Euro Pro shows were always sold out.  Then, last year's Eurp tour was cancelled, after it was dead the year before.  Mag sales are down too.  I'm sure someone here has the audience numbers from 80s, 90s, and today so that we can make a comparison.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2006, 06:48:16 PM »
Oh, not 87. I mean early 90s, when the champs were Dorian, Shawn, Vince Taylor, etc.  Sport was more mainstream then.  Bigger crowds, more tickets. 

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2006, 06:49:34 PM »
No, attendance was double back then.  Crowds would follow the BBers through European airports, and the Euro Pro shows were always sold out.  Then, last year's Eurp tour was cancelled, after it was dead the year before.  Mag sales are down too.  I'm sure someone here has the audience numbers from 80s, 90s, and today so that we can make a comparison.

Why do you think they cancelled a profitable Euro Tour? ::)

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2006, 06:50:04 PM »
brutal truth.

Brutal deletion coming soon on 240's post...... :-\
HAHA, RON.....

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2006, 06:50:25 PM »
  Why do you think they cancelled a profitable Euro Tour? ::)

It wasn't profitable in recent years.  but it was profitable in the early 90s.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2006, 06:56:17 PM »
240, 1987 was when I started training. By the early 90's I was obsessed. (my delussions were almost as grand as alexxx'  ;D) .. Lets agree to disagree, for the fact we're on different continents and because of this our perspective would have differed.

Are you saying the sport of BBing had a greater fanbase and greater attendance in

1) 1992, or
2) 2006 ?

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2006, 06:58:07 PM »
It wasn't profitable in recent years.  but it was profitable in the early 90s.

Exactly my point. ::)

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2006, 07:06:18 PM »

Isaac,

are you saying that Shawn Ray will lose his $500 bet that Kamali wont make top 5?
If King doesn't jack things up in the final 3 days, then yes Shawn will be out $500, in my opinion. It's a BIG IF, cause King's said he's bringing it like no other before, only to have something go wrong the final days. I hope he does pull it all together and comes in peeled.

Elevate Your Image.™

Wombat

• Getbig IV
  • Your name tattooed to my ass!
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2006, 07:41:27 PM »
Dan and Bob think Darrem Charles is the favorite for the Colorado Pro Show. I'm going to respectfully disagree boys - Phillip Heath has to be the favorite at this show.

Bob - you're a little off on King, he's been updating his website as I have been doing the updates. Low profile - yes, he has been keeping a low profile. You will be seeing a new KingKamali.com on May 20th.

Darrem and King for the top spot in New York? hahah Bob you are off your rocker tonight. I'll take Phil Heath and Dennis James for the top spots in the Big Apple.

Phil Heath winning???Come on...I can't think of one IFBB show where the winner was a guy with no back...Phil Heath certainly won't be the first...