Author Topic: Best unarmed self-defense for senior citizen and/or woman?  (Read 982 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
You are teaching a woman or a senior citizen.  Either is not physically powerful.

What techniques would be effective? :)

Unarmed self-defense against a single attacker on the street.

No running away either.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Best unarmed self-defense for senior citizen and/or woman?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2024, 05:21:54 AM »
You are teaching a woman or a senior citizen.  Either is not physically powerful.

What techniques would be effective? :)

No running away either.

Wing Tsun .. especially the Leung Ting system (WT)  but iīve met girls who were very good kick boxers or Tae Kwon do.
I worked in a Gym with a female trainer who was very powerful with her kicks in Tae Kwon do ..was a bit of a girl & loved a 3-some  ;D

I also think Krav maga deserves a mention as does FMA

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2024, 05:48:14 AM »
Avoid the situation.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2024, 05:57:51 AM »
Avoid the situation.
your answer is actually not so dumb...avoiding some known trouble spots is common sense such as not going into known bars.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2024, 06:16:08 AM »
your answer is actually not so dumb...avoiding some known trouble spots is common sense such as not going into known bars.

It wasn't meant to be dumb. What can a woman do to defend herself from being brutally rammed by a man?   

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2024, 07:26:12 AM »
It wasn't meant to be dumb. What can a woman do to defend herself from being brutally rammed by a man?
your question reminds me of an Argyll & sutherland Highlander Sgt who although he was not asking about self defence on a woman , asked me this question in a pub what would you do first. I said head butt him as i am fast with my head, he said no spit in his eyes. simple but effective.

also the most simple stuff is the best such as when i asked a similar question to a Wado ryu Sensei, he thrust one finger into my lower throat just above the collar bone and i choked. Itīs very dangerous.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2024, 06:09:42 AM »

That's the question:

What techniques would be effective?

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2024, 06:44:50 AM »
Neither of you have recommended bjj.

You don't think a weak woman or weak senior citizen who needs to quickly learn self-defense should roll around on the ground trying to submit an attacker?

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2024, 06:52:04 AM »
Krav Maga is good but from the videos I've seen it involves many complicated techniques that would require a lot of practice to master.  Striking of course.  Scripted counters to attacks.  A power based system like modern karate.
Not the best for a weak person.

Ving Tsun is an system designed by a woman (supposedly).  Strikes to vital points such as eyes, throat, groin, etc.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2024, 05:42:45 AM »
Wing tsun / Wing Chun / Ving tsun regardless how you spell it or which organisation ..it all came from Shaolin principles.
Itīs a Southern style with low kicks & strong close stances for stability & upper body boxing techniques.

I will say however, organisations such as Wing tsun ( Leung ting ) have changed certain footwork in their system.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2024, 02:09:13 PM »
https://www.ukwingchun.com/wing-chun-history/

Learning a self-defense system that does not rely on dominating physical strength and size makes perfect sense to me.

Such a system can be used for a lifetime.

Striking vital points (eyes, knees, groin, throat, solar plexus, etc.)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2024, 04:30:48 PM »
https://www.ukwingchun.com/wing-chun-history/

Learning a self-defense system that does not rely on dominating physical strength and size makes perfect sense to me.

Such a system can be used for a lifetime.

Striking vital points (eyes, knees, groin, throat, solar plexus, etc.)

What if your attacker wants to gouge your eyes, grab your balls, hit your throat and kick your knees? Truth is in a real fight it goes down to the floor most of the time if the fight goes on for more than 15 seconds. Jui jitsu is an art that the strongest guy doesn't have an advantage. In the UFC both guys are trained in jui jitsu and it hard to catch the other in a choke or a joint lock.  In the street most don't have a clue and the submission  happens very fast. Don't believe it? Please take two lessons at your local jui jitsu dojo.  It will change your attitude toward the art.

As a human with a brain we fight our best with weapons. Training with a knife gives a huge advantage. Carrying a gun works better. A guy that competed in the UFC said asked Filipino who is a blade expert to demonstrate his art. He used a prop knife that marks a person if it connects. They went after each other and the UFC submitted the blade guy.  When he got up the Filipino said look at yourself. He had marks on his neck, chest and across where tendons connected at the insertion all over his body.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2024, 04:40:09 PM »
What if your attacker wants to gouge your eyes, grab your balls, hit your throat and kick your knees? Truth is in a real fight it goes down to the floor most of the time if the fight goes on for more than 15 seconds. Jui jitsu is an art that the strongest guy doesn't have an advantage. In the UFC both guys are trained in jui jitsu and it hard to catch the other in a choke or a joint lock.  In the street most don't have a clue and the submission  happens very fast. Don't believe it? Please take two lessons at your local jui jitsu dojo.  It will change your attitude toward the art.

As a human with a brain we fight our best with weapons. Training with a knife gives a huge advantage. Carrying a gun works better. A guy that competed in the UFC said asked Filipino who is a blade expert to demonstrate his art. He used a prop knife that marks a person if it connects. They went after each other and the UFC submitted the blade guy.  When he got up the Filipino said look at yourself. He had marks on his neck, chest and across where tendons connected at the insertion all over his body.

"What if?"

What if the attacker has a gun or bazooka or a machine gun?

It took awhile but the "use bjj" response has arrived.

Joe Rogan has remarked how open a bjj practitioner is to having their eyeballs gouged out.

Go roll with your son-in-law, the 300 lb bjj artist. When he has you down or in a clinch, stick your thumbs or fingers in his eyes.  Report back on his reaction.

Uhm...please read the original post.  I'll give you a mulligan.  ;)

"You are teaching a woman or a senior citizen.  Either is not physically powerful.

No running away either."

I don't think having a weak woman or senior citizen rolling around on the pavement with the attacker would be a good idea, do you?

Sorry, no weapons in this scenario.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2024, 03:47:04 AM »
"What if?"

What if the attacker has a gun or bazooka or a machine gun?

It took awhile but the "use bjj" response has arrived.

Joe Rogan has remarked how open a bjj practitioner is to having their eyeballs gouged out.

Go roll with your son-in-law, the 300 lb bjj artist. When he has you down or in a clinch, stick your thumbs or fingers in his eyes.  Report back on his reaction.

Uhm...please read the original post.  I'll give you a mulligan.  ;)

"You are teaching a woman or a senior citizen.  Either is not physically powerful.

No running away either."

I don't think having a weak woman or senior citizen rolling around on the pavement with the attacker would be a good idea, do you?

Sorry, no weapons in this scenario.

Yes  BJJ is not for older people or anyone with joint injuries. not putting BJJ down as i have a Judo background & did enjoy groundwork but itīs not the be all & end all of fighting.
the best fighters in most cases outside are Boxers.
One guy i knew who was an army boxer & amateur boxer from Glasgow before he joined was fast as fuck & i saw him smash a few guys in bar brawls.
wasnīt a bully or anything but didnīt fuck around.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2024, 07:49:12 AM »
Yes  BJJ is not for older people or anyone with joint injuries. not putting BJJ down as i have a Judo background & did enjoy groundwork but itīs not the be all & end all of fighting.
the best fighters in most cases outside are Boxers.
One guy i knew who was an army boxer & amateur boxer from Glasgow before he joined was fast as fuck & i saw him smash a few guys in bar brawls.
wasnīt a bully or anything but didnīt fuck around.

The issue with boxing is messing up your hands when you hit a hard target.  I guess it's probably not the first thing to worry about in a street fight.

Tyson broke his hand in a street fight.  Boxers wrap hands and wear padded gloves.
Ali broke his hand even wearing wraps & gloves.

The bareknuckle fighters hands must be messed.up.

I broke one of my knuckles in a fight years ago and it is not a good thing. 

Open hand strike is better like a slap or palm heel.  Or punch only to soft targets like solar plexus.

Classic karate punch is to solar plexus for a reason.

You could condition your hands but then your hands might get messed up.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2024, 08:16:59 AM »
The issue with boxing is messing up your hands when you hit a hard target.  I guess it's probably not the first thing to worry about in a street fight.

Tyson broke his hand in a street fight.  Boxers wrap hands and wear padded gloves.
Ali broke his hand even wearing wraps & gloves.

The bareknuckle fighters hands must be messed.up.

I broke one of my knuckles in a fight years ago and it is not a good thing. 

Open hand strike is better like a slap or palm heel.  Or punch only to soft targets like solar plexus.

Classic karate punch is to solar plexus for a reason.

You could condition your hands but then your hands might get messed up.
you do have a point & the average person does not use a makiwara.
I liked Wado Ryu better than some so called harder styles for various reasons.

There are some karate schools which are very hard core in their conditioning such as Uechi Ryu, they also use strikes with the thumb.
This is not what most western people would use not in the context of breaking boards with your thumb joint.
Their toe strikes are also very brutal

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2024, 01:59:58 PM »
Thank you for the replies, Donny.

It's hard to stay on topic with this thread.  Replies tend to go off into "what is the best cage fighting system" or "what's the best martial art".

Self-defense is not cage fighting or sport.

Yes, bjj and MMA and boxing are good.  But is boxing good for a typical comparatively weak woman?  Did you ever see a typical woman throw a punch?  How about a 75 year old trying to learn bjj?

Donny, you have answered the initial question with your answer: Wing Chun.

Again the question...

What system (or techniques) to defend hand2hand against a single street attacker for a typical adult woman or senior citizen who is say 70-80 years old?  A mugger who attacks you.

Logic dictates such techniques should not be based on physical strength, size, physical conditioning, stamina, lengthy learning curve, etc.  The usual thing of mastering the art takes 10 years...

Question...

If whatever techniques are good for the above class of weaker individuals, why are they not good for younger, physically strong individuals?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2024, 02:47:03 AM »
Thank you for the replies, Donny.

It's hard to stay on topic with this thread.  Replies tend to go off into "what is the best cage fighting system" or "what's the best martial art".

Self-defense is not cage fighting or sport.

Yes, bjj and MMA and boxing are good.  But is boxing good for a typical comparatively weak woman?  Did you ever see a typical woman throw a punch?  How about a 75 year old trying to learn bjj?

Donny, you have answered the initial question with your answer: Wing Chun.

Again the question...

What system (or techniques) to defend hand2hand against a single street attacker for a typical adult woman or senior citizen who is say 70-80 years old?  A mugger who attacks you.

Logic dictates such techniques should not be based on physical strength, size, physical conditioning, stamina, lengthy learning curve, etc.  The usual thing of mastering the art takes 10 years...

Question...

If whatever techniques are good for the above class of weaker individuals, why are they not good for younger, physically strong individuals?

This is interesting too..thereīs systems which are quite old using a cane, walking stick
basically youīve a "legal" weapon

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2024, 02:49:33 AM »

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2024, 03:31:05 AM »
That's the question:

Knive to the throat/neck/face, but an elder or untrained person wouldn't be fast enough from being blocked. Pepper spray or handgun.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2024, 03:37:10 AM »
your question reminds me of an Argyll & sutherland Highlander Sgt who although he was not asking about self defence on a woman , asked me this question in a pub what would you do first. I said head butt him as i am fast with my head, he said no spit in his eyes. simple but effective.

also the most simple stuff is the best such as when i asked a similar question to a Wado ryu Sensei, he thrust one finger into my lower throat just above the collar bone and i choked. Itīs very dangerous.

Headbutts won't knockout anyone, just makes them go back. If the attacker has no balls he will stay at a distance figuring out what to do next. If he has them, the head butt will just escalate the situation and you better have a powerfull B plan, because it's going to get dirty.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2024, 03:52:44 AM »
Headbutts won't knockout anyone, just makes them go back. If the attacker has no balls he will stay at a distance figuring out what to do next. If he has them, the head butt will just escalate the situation and you better have a powerfull B plan, because it's going to get dirty.
I beg to differ & iīve seen a broken nose & a cheek bone fracture with two rapid head butts. In a crowded bar iīve used it. you donīt have space to jump around like a jumping jack.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2024, 04:26:47 AM »
Knive to the throat/neck/face, but an elder or untrained person wouldn't be fast enough from being blocked. Pepper spray or handgun.

Good ideas but no weapons in this scenario.

Unarmed only.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2024, 04:30:26 AM »
This is interesting too..thereīs systems which are quite old using a cane, walking stick
basically youīve a "legal" weapon

That guy has some good videos.

I train with a short staff (hanbo) which doubles as a walking stick as part of my self-defense stuff.

Good for warding off dog attacks too.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2024, 05:28:20 AM »
That guy has some good videos.

I train with a short staff (hanbo) which doubles as a walking stick as part of my self-defense stuff.

Good for warding off dog attacks too.
Can get canes with a blade which have also been around for a long time.
https://www.swordcane.com/Models-and-Prices.html