Author Topic: Nutrition/weight loss question  (Read 1216 times)

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
Nutrition/weight loss question
« on: May 23, 2024, 09:39:24 PM »
My tdee is 3331. I currently only eat around 1290. Which puts me in a 2000 deficit. I'm clean so muscle will be lost. I train 4 -5 days per week. Cardio is 30 min walking.

I've been using keto for a while, I just think a low carb lifestyle suits me better. I'm just not getting enough calories though. Should I start carb cycling blasting carbs up to my tdee number once a week to reduce insulin sensitivity? Meaning that day eat about 2000 calories in clean carb sources.  The next several days I'll be filled with glycogen and my metabolism should receive a boost.

My question is, should I add another meal of protein and fat bringing calories to around 1600-1700 and then carb cycle? I'm not eating 3331 calories.  I thrive on less.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
Re: Nutrition/weight loss question
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2024, 11:29:58 PM »
A high carb day is more about a mental boost rather than a physical one. Metabolism isn't really boosted in one day, the hormones like leptin aren't affected much. That's at least how I remember it. However, one could have a high carb day while continuing to burn fat...

It's interesting you say "to reduce my insulin sensitivity," maybe you meant the opposite but read as is stated would be an interesting theory too  :D

For the fastest fat loss initially one could do Lyle's rapid fat loss diet without burning much muscle but that is REALLY low calorie, essentially just protein, with some fish oil IIRC.

Keto is high fat and low to moderate protein.

Gym Rat

• Getbig V
  • Libturdz Love The Caulk
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2024, 12:50:58 AM »
A high carb day is more about a mental boost rather than a physical one. Metabolism isn't really boosted in one day, the hormones like leptin aren't affected much. That's at least how I remember it. However, one could have a high carb day while continuing to burn fat...

It's interesting you say "to reduce my insulin sensitivity," maybe you meant the opposite but read as is stated would be an interesting theory too  :D

For the fastest fat loss initially one could do Lyle's rapid fat loss diet without burning much muscle but that is REALLY low calorie, essentially just protein, with some fish oil IIRC.

Love reading Van's posts, very knowledgable.

Wiggs, I cant help you, Ive been on an ice-cream and  'Good & Plenty' diet as of late...

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2024, 01:42:39 AM »
2k deficit seems overkill. Why the hurry?

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2024, 02:04:41 AM »
with his new bald head and this diet hes going to end up looking like a lollipop

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2024, 02:16:44 AM »
with his new bald head and this diet hes going to end up looking like a lollipop

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2024, 04:36:10 AM »
My tdee is 3331. I currently only eat around 1290. Which puts me in a 2000 deficit. I'm clean so muscle will be lost. I train 4 -5 days per week. Cardio is 30 min walking.

I've been using keto for a while, I just think a low carb lifestyle suits me better. I'm just not getting enough calories though. Should I start carb cycling blasting carbs up to my tdee number once a week to reduce insulin sensitivity? Meaning that day eat about 2000 calories in clean carb sources.  The next several days I'll be filled with glycogen and my metabolism should receive a boost.

My question is, should I add another meal of protein and fat bringing calories to around 1600-1700 and then carb cycle? I'm not eating 3331 calories.  I thrive on less.

You currently eat 1290 calories a day?

That's too low.

Are you really fat?

Describe your daily meals.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2024, 05:37:38 AM »
You currently eat 1290 calories a day?

That's too low.

Are you really fat?

Describe your daily meals.

1. 4 boiled eggs

2. 12oz bison, Brussel Sprouts,

3. Protein shake 2 scoops

4. Now I'll add an other meal of salmon or chicken and a salad. That'll bring me to around 1600-1700 calories

This is the general diet.

I'm about 17-20% bf now. Goal is 10. That means. Around 20lbs of pure fat loss will put me there.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2024, 06:42:56 AM »
1. 4 boiled eggs + bacon or sausage

2. 12oz bison, Brussel Sprouts, topped with butter

3. Protein shake 2 scoops mixed with half n half or heavy cream

4. Now I'll add an other meal of salmon or chicken (fatty thighs or leg quarters not breasts) and a salad That'll bring me to around 1600-1700 calories

This is the general diet.

I'm about 17-20% bf now. Goal is 10. That means. Around 20lbs of pure fat loss will put me there.

That's seems pretty low in fat so you could add fats.  Cook with bacon or meat fat.

Eat some various nuts if are not allergic.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2024, 06:45:34 AM »
That's seems pretty low in fat so you could add fats.

Almonds, avocados, etc...thanks

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2024, 07:09:06 AM »
It is incredibly easy to consume 2000-2200 cals and get 40 grams of protein at each meal.

Wiggs has the right basics and access to well sourced foods, but needs to stop being a wuss and just add some additional calories.
Y

1Patrick

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2024, 07:15:11 AM »
That's seems pretty low in fat so you could add fats.  Cook with bacon or meat fat.

I think Wiggs is straight.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2024, 07:25:29 AM »

I agree.

Wiggs, are you avoiding animal fats on purpose?  Bison is lean.  I eat fatty ribeye steak daily, in addition to sardines and bacon.  I occasionally eat air-fried chicken thighs with the skin on.  I've been doing this consistently for almost 5 years.  I've very slowly lost almost 40 pounds of body fat in that time, and all my biomarkers have significantly improved.  I consume between 1,800 to 2,000 calories daily.  I do very little cardio, just a 30 minute walk 4 times per week.

If I wanted to add calories, I would easily and happily just add butter, heavy whipping cream, more bacon and more ribeye steak.

MajorDomo

• Getbig III
  • I'm here to chew bubblegum
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2024, 09:39:36 AM »
No rapid weight loss plan works for very long. Lower the sugar and starches in your diet and you will gradually lose weight. You definitely don't need to go super low on carbs though.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2024, 09:42:58 AM »

BW X 9 or 10 (for weight loss) macro breakdown is generally 45-40-15. Don’t over think it, don’t over complicate it. Make it sustainable and a habit.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2024, 12:45:50 PM »

Thanks Van. Yes, not reduce insulin sensitivity. Opposite. I'm getting those trains of thought from guys that utilize carb cycling.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2024, 12:49:14 PM »

When I don't train, I'm a 1 or 2 meal a day guy. And I fast often so when I flip the switch to train and life the bodybuilder lifestyle. I have to force myself to eat because I'm not a big eater. As crazy as it sounds, I have plenty of energy on  lthose low calories if I'm not training. If I am, I get more hungry but not 5-6;meals and day hungry.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2024, 12:49:51 PM »
BW X 9 or 10 (for weight loss) macro breakdown is generally 45-40-15. Don’t over think it, don’t over complicate it. Make it sustainable and a habit.

Is this formula the traditional "lose 1-2lb a week" type program?

Seems very do-able.  Might try it, if I can mentally get around losing some reps.
Y

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2024, 12:50:42 PM »

Thanks. I'll do macro breakdown per meal and reappropriate

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2024, 12:52:06 PM »
It is incredibly easy to consume 2000-2200 cals and get 40 grams of protein at each meal.

Wiggs has the right basics and access to well sourced foods, but needs to stop being a wuss and just add some additional calories.

You're right but my appetite hasn't been there. I'll get it there via carbs and essential fats.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2024, 12:55:03 PM »
I agree.

Wiggs, are you avoiding animal fats on purpose?  Bison is lean.  I eat fatty ribeye steak daily, in addition to sardines and bacon.  I occasionally eat air-fried chicken thighs with the skin on.  I've been doing this consistently for almost 5 years.  I've very slowly lost almost 40 pounds of body fat in that time, and all my biomarkers have significantly improved.  I consume between 1,800 to 2,000 calories daily.  I do very little cardio, just a 30 minute walk 4 times per week.

If I wanted to add calories, I would easily and happily just add butter, heavy whipping cream, more bacon and more ribeye steak.

No, not avoiding animal fats. Just don't have the appetite to eat that much yet. But I do use butter and cream. And I eat the whole chicken not just white meat. I've just gotten used to eating 2 meals a day  The tide is turning. 

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2024, 01:03:46 PM »
You're right but my appetite hasn't been there. I'll get it there via carbs and essential fats.

Good luck sir.

It could literally be two sweet potatoes with some olive oil or grass fed butter.
Y

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2024, 02:07:45 PM »
Inflate your chest. Drink MET-Rx

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Royalty is a schmoe-cel.
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2024, 02:08:46 PM »

My opinion is : stick to keto. You are not taking in enough fat.

You can easily add another 1000 calories to your diets. A salad with 3 TBLSPn's EVOO and a little vineger is easily 400 cals. Add heavy cream to your coffee, or drink it straight a small cup, like a starbucks espresso cup, about 3/4 full of heavy cream  is easily another 300 cals or more.

Instead of cycling carbs PLAN on one cheat day a week or every other week. Unless you have incredible discipline cycling carbs is a gateway to blowing your keto diet altogether and in no time you will look and feel like shit

Biggest problem people have on keto is not trusting the chemistry and not taking in enough fat. Once you've been in ketosis for awhile and weight/fat is dropping it's easy to slow it down by adjusting your protein. Start taking in too much protein and you'll slow down the weight loss rapidly. But by adding carbs you're feeding cravings and it becomes difficult to maintain ketosis.

So: 1.add more fat
2. Adjust protein to speed up or slow down weight loss.
3. Get your carb fix on a pre-planned "cheat day" and don't be afraid to eat whatever the fuck you want on that day.
4. Then get right back on keto the very next day.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2024, 02:25:21 PM »
To gain weight drink a pint of canola oil each day.