Author Topic: help with hand recovery - old injury  (Read 4129 times)

marilia05

• Getbig I
help with hand recovery - old injury
« on: April 29, 2006, 08:12:22 AM »
Hi,
I've been more of a recreational bodybuilder and I'm presently applying a WBH protocol to myself in order to test it for a friend who will take part in a deadlift national competition. The fact is that I'm really enjoying it and I lift pretty well, so there's this idea about me taking part in comps as well... The problem is that I have a life-long hand injury that really spoils my grip. I've been a fencer and I developed this injury close to a national champioship, so, at the time, docs gave me local cortison shots. I guess that spoiled my hand forever. But I want to try to strengthen it, anyway. Any advice on what to do for that purpose?
Marilia Coutinho

themetalgod

• Getbig II
Re: help with hand recovery - old injury
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 08:33:26 AM »
i have a ton of answers for you as I've been training my grip serious for a few months now.one get yourself some Chinese medicine balls from ironmind.get your self some captains of crush and start light.they also have some other awesome grip tools.use the overhand hook grip that Olympic lifters use and popularized by brad gillingham

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 06:10:24 PM »
I'm interested in any one's suggestions on this problem too.  I have relatively short fingers that are really big around (my wedding ring is a size 16---the size of a quarter--and its tight).  I have also somehow over the last 15 years managed to break every finger I have except one and bones in my hand doing stupid stuff.  My grip is killing me with my deadlift.  Anything over 550 I really cannot hold onto the bar.  I slip to a "hook grip" then drop the weight. 

I've got captians of crush grippers and have been religiously using them the last couple of months.  Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

JK

themetalgod

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 11:44:58 AM »
you have a genetic problem big hands instend of long hands :)
people with thick hands have a harder timer holding on to the weight.get the kung fu medicine balls.you can also try ironminds grip master and titan telegraph.get john brookfields 2 books mastery of hand strength and the grip masters manuel,they don't call him mr hands for nothing.stick with the hook grip while you strengthen your hands.also get the extensor bands

marilia05

• Getbig I
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 04:13:55 AM »
i have a ton of answers for you as I've been training my grip serious for a few months now.one get yourself some Chinese medicine balls from ironmind.get your self some captains of crush and start light.they also have some other awesome grip tools.use the overhand hook grip that Olympic lifters use and popularized by brad gillingham

Will do it, for sure. What do you mean by "start light"?
You mentioned two books in the next post, I think I saw them adv at ironmind. So you think they are worth for planning grip training?
Thx for your input, really. I'd have a few other questions, such as "pinching training" (??) and the fact that I worked out my forearms for months, with absolutely no result as to grip strength. Which suggests the issue is only hand related. I've found a couple of nice sites, take a look:

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~keen0018/grip.htm
http://www.dolfzine.com/page632.htm
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dennis78.htm
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par15.htm http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/martinwhittredtraining.htm

thx again!
Marilia Coutinho

themetalgod

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 09:36:51 AM »
ironmind offers a lot of grippers from 60 pounds to 360 pounds the #4 get one of the lighter one's the grippers so you can build up.i have an answer for you as to training your foremarms i was just reading john's book again last night.if you want a stronger grip you train your hands not your forearms.his analogy was just because their close forearms and your hands there completely different a scottish man is not an english man even though their close to one another can give you some exercises from his first book.curling weight plates.sledge hammer lever lifts.bag snatching,finger tip push ups,rope climbing.using the titan telegraph key from ironmind and their other grip machine.plier lifting.using the captains of crush.pinch gripping weight plates turn them to the smooth sides together and hold for like a minute work up to 45's.buy a york dumbell 60 pounds or higher cut off the ends and use them to do clean and presses snatch's and just one of them to pinch grip.then when you get stronger work your way up to the sides of a 100 pound dumbell.i've given you most of the exercise in the first book i don;t have the second but it helps to see what john's talking about that's why i recommend  the book.