Author Topic: What is better, hitting the gym, or buying a lil' fitness machine?  (Read 3000 times)

luv_grant_michaels

• Getbig I
I want to start working out. I want to know what would be better in results or financially. Going to the gym paying the 49.99 monthly fee, or buying a fitness machine for no more than $300. I would really appreciate any ones response. It is something I'll be starting now. I currently lift weights. Started four years ago, I am 21. So that is what I really enjoy most. You people are proffesionals, let me know somethin'.

Gabriela Elizalde

Odinn

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: What is better, hitting the gym, or buying a lil' fitness machine?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 05:01:50 PM »
If fitness machines at home were effective then commercial gyms wouldn't exist. It's virtually impossible to stay motivated to train at home.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 05:14:14 PM »
Untrue, it completely depends on the person and their motivation. Some are motivated from day 1 to workout at home; it's something each person has to determine by trying.

To spend only $300 you'd best either buy used; you'd have to do some work to decide amongst various options to find cost-effective equipment that could cover most based, on that budget, but it's doable.

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 06:07:24 PM »
hit the gym.

i do not know what kind of equipment you use but for me, if i wanted to have a good quality home gym, it would cost me years of membership....  and having a training partner is always motivational.

Odinn

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 08:59:03 PM »
Untrue, it completely depends on the person and their motivation. Some are motivated from day 1 to workout at home; it's something each person has to determine by trying.

To spend only $300 you'd best either buy used; you'd have to do some work to decide amongst various options to find cost-effective equipment that could cover most based, on that budget, but it's doable.

Notice I said "virtually" impossible, there are some people with awesome discipline and motivation, but those people are few and far between.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 03:00:44 AM »
How do you know, what research do you have that tells you the numbers? Just leave it up to the individual to try both.

luv_grant_michaels

• Getbig I
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 03:58:40 AM »
I am a motivated person. I don't pity doing anything, especially if it has to do with weights lifting. Maybe I could try the gym. Just to see how motivated I really am. When I was in weights class in high school, I just kept on going. I tried to learn all the machines and equipment and technique. "What's this and whats that. What does this do." Eager to learn.

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 09:54:07 AM »
You first have to determine your goals.  If you want to increase muscle mass greatly I would recommend free weights and a few machines.  But this would cost quite a bit and need decent amount of space at home $300 wouldnt cut it.  To get the best development you need free weights so that you can effectively work your stablizer muscles fully as well. also machines have limits.  If you want to just tone up then well machines can be somewhat adequate.  As far as working out at home?  If you are extremely motivated then yes but i say invest in a good set of free weights that go up to a couple hundred pounds in plates and in dumbells. Again its an investment but well worth it.  Working out in a gym will keep you much more motivated because everyone around you are doing the same thing, and you will see other muscular guys to keep your motivation going.  Helping you to keep shooting for your goal.

Some people want to work out at home simply because they feel embarrased at the gym surronded by other guys that have been doing it for a long timaae.  Remember we all started from somwhere.  None of us were highy muscled at our very first workouts.   If anyone critiques you or gives you advice when you work out take it and use it.  I had lots of advice and still seek advice....its the only way youll learn and grow.

Gym its well worth it guy!

pumpchaser

• Getbig I
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 12:00:58 PM »
For me going to the gym gives me an excuse to not go to the gym. It takes about 15 minutes to get there, sometimes have to wait to get the equipment I need, 15 minutes to get home.

At home I go downstairs and finish my workout in what I would have spent in travel time.
I can workout with the music pumped and have my shirt off.
Plus no waiting for equipment.

Pumpchaser

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 01:27:28 PM »
I go to the gym on the way home from work since it is on my way home.  There are some plus' for working out at home but lot of distractions too.  You have to be very focused.  Ive known guys that bought home equipment and never use it.  Usually with a gym membership you should want to use it since your paying monthly or yearly.  Again its all up to the individual.  They really have to determine how focused they are and get the best equipment to get their goals.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2006, 08:54:09 AM »
Going to a "good" gym will offer your a better selection of equipment. Most gym's will offer planned workouts for you needs. A women friend of mine goes to Curves and she loves it because it is for women only. This may or may not work for you. But if you want to get in and get out and train at a fast pace with good results than it might be a consideration. A lot of chain gym's/spa's are social gatherings rather than serious exercises places for a lot of people. Gym's are also overcrowded at certain times of the day, where a good part of your workout time is waiting for equipment. That $49.95 is a little steep for monthly rates unless your getting free towel service, personal locker,  parking area, etc free. Some of the chain gym's offer $19.95 for the first 3 month's which can allow you enought to see if you like their equipment and surroundings. I would doubt that the regular fee is any where near that $49.95.

Working out at home suits a lot of folks. Unless your spending mucho bucks and have the room, the equipment will be limited at best. Though no one really needs a lot of equipment for a outstanding workout either for  weight control and/or gaining muscle mass. That motivation factor can be a challenge weither you workout at home or at a commerical gym. Personal view is that getting in the mood is a little easier when training in a gym because of the surrounding atmosphere and of being around people of a like mind.

All in all, if you want to keep it simple than buy home fitness equipment. But if your goals are expanded a little more, than join a gym. Hint: never sign a long range contract longer than 3 month's. Also never sign on with a personal trainer unless their connected with a sport or medical therapy group. If their connected with the gym/spa your working out at, than be selective. If their independent than you might want to check their background/experience and their other clients comments. Good Luck.

RancherRanger

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006, 10:28:26 AM »
The gym I go to here in Tennessee is 33 bucks a month for both me and the wife.  We have both free and machine weights, treadmills, elipticals, and alot more.  I would go around to as many gyms as you can and find out prices.  Just make sure it's within a reasonable distance.  If your driving 1/2 hr each way it could get old.  The gym I'm working out at is 1 1/2 miles from my house so it's very convenient.

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2006, 10:47:30 AM »
It's hard for me to get motivated at the home, so my personality needs the atmosphere a gym provides....

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 06:54:48 AM »
I do a home gym but in order to keep things fresh, I periodically do "field trips" to different gyms (Golds Venice, Muscle Beach, etc) and pay the 1 day fee. 

Sir William Idol

• Getbig IV
  • you got a fight comin
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 05:08:45 PM »
I do a home gym but in order to keep things fresh, I periodically do "field trips" to different gyms (Golds Venice, Muscle Beach, etc) and pay the 1 day fee. 

get the membership

try and knock down the price to 40 if you can, no sign up fee.

if you know nothing about working out, the bigger guys in the gym can help you with pointers, spots

you will see exercises done that you might not have known about, adding to your repertoire....hopefully done in correct form

you will have more motivation based on seeing the size of others/weights being put up

keeping consistant is the most important thing, then after awhile you'll be hooked and on your way
its comin today

luv_grant_michaels

• Getbig I
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2006, 01:59:54 PM »
Thanks Sir William. I think that is just what I need. Except now I have to do the gym hunt. Yeah, I was looking at one of the best gyms to go to. Gold's Gym. Not the greatest idea if I'm mostly interested in weights and machines. I'm going to look into other places. Gold's tried to sell me a one year membership. They are so bad. I was 20 years old. How could I afford such a thing? And they still insisted that I should think about it. haha

What is the one day fee Midnite Rambo? Maybe I can try that while I'm searching.

Gabriela Elizalde

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2006, 08:30:08 AM »
The one day fee for most places is $20.

Sir William Idol

• Getbig IV
  • you got a fight comin
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2006, 09:27:54 AM »
sorry to hear about your golds experience....im a golds member and the reason i chose them is cause they're infinitely less pushy than the snakes at Bally or 24 hour, either of which ill never set foot in again.

after a year of month-to-month at golds i got my membership adjusted from 40 bucks a month (they wanted 59 originally) to 30 without resigning a contract, decent price for a gym that has pretty much everything you want.
its comin today

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2006, 09:28:55 AM »
the gym

it's an experience you just cant get at home man..  :D

Manthus_X

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2006, 06:01:01 PM »
I personally prefer home, im not a body builder though but I seem to get as good of a work out at home as I do when I go to a gym.. I go sometimes when someone I know goes and wants a partner.. but usually no one I know works out they just get drunk all the time so I stay home. As long as you have enough equiptment then home is good enough in my opinion. I agree with pump chaser, why go out when you can get as good at home. Mostly all I use is free weights cept for a few machine movements. I like home cause I got the music cranked and don't gotta wait for nothing, I can ddo what I want when I want.

All the home equiptment I have is  a "universal gym" cable machine with lots of work outs, I only use it for 2 or 3 areas. I have a bench press and lots of free weights, the only problem I have is no cardio machine which are expensive I plan on getting one now but can't decide which is best. If you don't mind going for a run for cardio then your set. Remeber you can always add stuff to a home gym when ever you get cash, and plates for free weights in my area are cheap as hell (15cents a pound for the cement in plastic circles, 43 for the iron cast circles, and 88cents for the rubber hex ones)

Again its all in prefrence, I prefer somg good beats it helps me stay modivated... alough a gym isn't bad.

X