Author Topic: Ed Corney...Now That's Posing!  (Read 3821 times)

Jeff Preston

• Getbig II
Ed Corney...Now That's Posing!
« on: May 23, 2006, 07:51:51 PM »
Like the Danny Padilla video clip, just too good not to share!

Enjoy!

Raw-Iron.com

ignorance

• Getbig III
  • https://www.facebook.com/ResearchBodybuilding
Re: Ed Corney...Now That's Posing!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 08:03:14 PM »
How old is he there what 50? Still looking Better then most.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 09:38:15 PM »
Thanks Jeff! Notice how bodybuilders then didn't hit the leg shots like they do today. Maybe it all started with Tom Platz?

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 09:41:34 PM »
I think like 60 or something.

I believe he was 46 when he did Pumping Iron and trained with Arnold in 75
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

Jeff Preston

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 10:07:38 PM »
Ed was 51 in that routine.  Joel Brandwein, Ed and Danny Padilla's webmaster, is putting together a short DVD compliation of three of Ed's posing routines.
I've seen the completed DVD of Padilla's training and posing in the gym (only about 20 minutes survived a fire where there had originally been over three hours of training video shot) and it's very, very well done.
If the one that Joel finishes with Ed is comparable we will have something to treasure, and learn from, the master poser holding court!
Raw-Iron.com

JDK

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 02:31:50 PM »
does anyone know the song in this clip, or where can i find this kind of music?

thanks

Jeff Preston

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 09:14:36 PM »
The music in the clip was Curtis Mayfield's "Pimp Chase" from the movie SuperFly.

ed didn't pose to that BTW.

From Joel Brandwein, Ed's webmaster:

"I feel like I should explain (defend?) myself a bit concerning this clip. 

I've been on an absolute quest to find Ed's posing routines on film.  So, with the help of Ed's old friend Bob Perata, I finally tracked down some VHS tapes of Ed guest posing in 1985 and 1987 (at age 51 and 53, respectively).  Unfortunately the footage was pretty degraded.  The actual VHS tape was a bit "time worn", the filming was a bit poor and shaky, the color was not too goo and the audio was unusable.  So, I had to convert the footage to black and white, make it slightly slow motion to reduce camera shake and remove short sections where the camera man suddenly jerked the camera away from Ed.  I also had to lay over some usable audio. 

The clip that I posted on iFilm is a very short "encore" section where Ed briefly reappears on stage after his real routine is finished and hits some very quick shots for the appreciative crowd.  The 12-minute long routing that precedes it, and will be on the DVD that we're releasing, is set to very dramatic music and is so beautiful and powerful that it makes the hair on your arms stand up.  Ed and I felt that after that first long section on the DVD, it would be fun to have this short encore piece set to something "lighter" (like the SuperFly soundtrack music we chose), lest people get the impression that Ed was taking himself a bit too seriously. 

So that's how we wound up with this short "teaser" clip which is neither a full routine by Ed nor is it set to music that he ever would have posed to.

P.S. – You should see the very brief footage from the 1987 exposition where a 53-year-old Ed gets on stage next to a 31-year-old Tom Platz and they briefly do a "pose down".  Ask yourself how many men that age could hold their own next to a great bodybuilder like Platz who is 22 years their junior? "

Raw-Iron.com

GreatFinn

• Getbig III
  • Havuja, perkele!?!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 04:54:28 AM »

Enjoy!

And this finn make him look small  ;D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szb8-6D58wU

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 06:39:41 AM »
Nothing special about his posing if you ask me...i think arnold and Shawn ray pose just as well...Ed Corney was def. overratted !!
L

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 07:19:26 AM »
Nothing special about his posing if you ask me...i think arnold and Shawn ray pose just as well...Ed Corney was def. overratted !!

What about his fluid transitions?

Rome

• Getbig IV
  • Pics or GTFO!
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 10:09:08 AM »

BLASPHEMY!  >:(

Corney was the master poser, I haven't seen anyone better

**Robot dances and bad moonwalkers don't count!

midknight

• Getbig IV
  • Soon, you will know the meaning of pain.
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 10:14:56 AM »
Ed was truely one of the best!
pain day

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 01:08:44 PM »
i dont get it, theres nothing wrong with his routine, but nothing that makes me think 'wow what a great poser!'
i think ironagers just used this as his 'gimmick' since he didnt really have anything else.
franco had his back, lou was huge, katz had his ribcage, arnold was arnold, and corney, hmmmmmm.......well,.... he was a great poser! ::)

joelbrandw

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 08:08:12 PM »
i don't get it, theres nothing wrong with his routine, but nothing that makes me think 'wow what a great poser!'
i think ironagers just used this as his 'gimmick' since he didn't really have anything else.
Franco had his back, Lou was huge, katz had his ribcage, Arnold was Arnold, and Corney, hmmmmmm.......well,.... he was a great poser! ::)

Well, everybody is entitled to their opinion.  But I have to say, As Jeff quoted me below, this clip is NOT a routine by Ed.  It's also not from a contest.  It's a short encore Ed did when the crowd called him back on stage after his long routine. He came back and hit a few shots for them.  Remember, he was in that condition at age 51 for a guest posing gig.  He didn't diet down for a competition.  He just walked on stage and did his "thing".  I would only ask the doubters to withold judgement until they've seen a longer clip of one of his full routines.  I also have to say that honing the skill to pose, like Ed did, by practicing 3 hours a day, 365 days a year (usually in the middle of the night) is not a "gimmick".  You do your work in the gym, build your body, diet down and then it's contest day.  What Ed did on the day of the show was not just simply say, "Here, this is my body, what do you think"?, He went on stage and turned in a true performance.  There were many times, like at his Mr. America win, where he came into the final posedown a few points behind the other guys and then beat them by outposing them . . . a game of skill, not just sheer size, proportion, condition or shape.  If that's not the kind of thing that attracts you to bodybuilding, and you'd rather just see guys awkwardly display their physical attributes, that's fine.  I'm not here to convince anybody what it is about the sport that should make them fans.  God knows we need all the support we can get.  No matter why people buy the tickets to the shows, it's just good that they're buying them.  - Joel

joelbrandw

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2006, 08:12:43 PM »
I believe he was 46 when he did Pumping Iron and trained with Arnold in 75

Ed turned 42 in November of 1975.  So those scenes where he's squatting and working out with Arnold are of a 28-year-old and a 41-year-old training together with that kind of intensity!

- Joel  :o

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2006, 04:16:57 AM »

Enjoy!

OK, That was GREAT but just remember NO images WHATSOEVER of the Un-named One .Got IT ?