Author Topic: A Lookat some of the PDI Guys  (Read 16627 times)

RHINO290

Re: A Lookat some of the PDI Guys
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2006, 09:19:50 AM »
As much of a doofus as Vince is, this post makes a lot of sense.  This is a tiny "sport" with a miniscule fan base.  The PDI is not going to grow the fan base, and there is not enough room for two federations.  Only one will survive...the one with the 1st tier pros...

I disagree, if that were the case, attendance would not be dropping in the IFBB/NPC.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2006, 09:26:06 AM »
I know who it is :)

Dude, doesn't that make these little arguments seem funny, when you know the BIG name? hehe...

RHINO290

« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2006, 10:55:08 AM »
We'll see....but the sport was growing like crazy in the 80s and early 90s.  I think PART OF the backward direction we have moved is because of unatainable physiques, excessive supplement use and rewarding ugly physiques.  Its too far removed from the sporting public...but the physiques weren't in the 80s and early 90s.  The judges allowed a new standard with Dorian and Ronnie and many tried to chase them and ruined their physiques.
  Some people will always think BBing is "disgusting" but I'll bet you guys like Richard Jones, Bob Paris, Phil Heath, Flex, etc will get a hell of a lot more positive looks from the SPORTING public than the mass monsters with big guts that look like fat powerlifters in the offseason.

And for all you guys that will argue everyone hates BBer physique, I can't tell you how many positive responces I get in the summer at 230-235 lean and cut.  Many people still respect us if we don't look like complete freaks of nature.

I personally think you are very pretty!(LOL) good post, great guy...

Dnizneer

• Getbig III
  • Meat
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2006, 11:17:53 AM »
Who cares what federation it is, a bodybuiding show is all the same.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2006, 11:24:24 AM »
Oh shit....rhino said I'm pretty....what kind of pre-contest diet you got yourself on?    :o     (...and how am I going to tell him that the only man for me is Mike Arvilla, that latin beast!)

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2006, 11:55:56 AM »
Oh shit....rhino said I'm pretty....what kind of pre-contest diet you got yourself on?    :o     (...and how am I going to tell him that the only man for me is Mike Arvilla, that latin beast!)
Ummm, he's not latin Shootfighter, but he is def a beast.   ;)
:D Weee

RHINO290

« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2006, 11:59:47 AM »

Man, rejected again......

where is my Nikki when I need her?

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2006, 12:21:48 PM »
There was a time when people looked at bodybuilders with respect...something to aspire to...the epitome of masculinity and health.  However, the ugly truth is out.  This "sport" is riddled with drug abuse, prostitution and there is nothing healthy about it.  Further, the "muscle-bound" stereotype seems to be true.  People once thought of bodybuilders as strong and powerful.  However, that's no longer the case.  Look at what MMA has done.  You have 180lb pencil necks destroying 250 monsters. 

BBing had its shot at mainstream, but the crossover appeal was just not there.  Even with the "pretty physiques".  This "sport" is a niche and always will be.  And as such, you have to give the niche consumer what it wants...the best of the best.  Unless PDI can lure more than 1-2 tier one pros, it will not succeed. 
w

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2006, 12:23:39 PM »
We'll see....but the sport was growing like crazy in the 80s and early 90s.  I think PART OF the backward direction we have moved is because of unatainable physiques, excessive supplement use and rewarding ugly physiques.  Its too far removed from the sporting public...but the physiques weren't in the 80s and early 90s.  The judges allowed a new standard with Dorian and Ronnie and many tried to chase them and ruined their physiques.
  Some people will always think BBing is "disgusting" but I'll bet you guys like Richard Jones, Bob Paris, Phil Heath, Flex, etc will get a hell of a lot more positive looks from the SPORTING public than the mass monsters with big guts that look like fat powerlifters in the offseason.

And for all you guys that will argue everyone hates BBer physique, I can't tell you how many positive responces I get in the summer at 230-235 lean and cut.  Many people still respect us if we don't look like complete freaks of nature.
235, you're a BEAST. ::)
Jaejonna rows 125!!

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2006, 12:24:29 PM »
He's not mexican??   Oh my dreams have been crushed.

you guys are cool cheri.

donrhummy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2006, 12:34:28 PM »
I think he is trying to say that if you look like shit, then who are you(or anyone) to judge others. I say, if someone is going to engage in opinions, then they should at least post pics of themselves, so that they can be rated, and it can be determined what the value of their opinion is. I mean if you are a fat slob, who the fucvk are you to comment on someone elses conditioning. This, I believe.

So you're telling me you've never watched a football (or baseball, etc) game and commented on how some guy was lacking in some skill? (Pick any sport you like where you never competed in that sport - and I'm not talking about pick up football)

There would be no sports industry if your statement were valid.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2006, 12:43:07 PM »
Mindspin, I agree on some points but definitely not all of us are involved in the shady side.  Jack and I are professionals and don't have to rely on BBing for an income so we do this mostly for the love of the game.  
So many of the guys that lifted in the 60s, 70s and 80s and would still follow the sport are somewhat turned off to it cause of the direction the IFBB rewarded after Haney.  I know its a sliding scale but there is a distinct difference in the physiques pre early 1990s and post early 1990s and I think that has something to do with the decrease in popularity.  Remember when american muscle, bodyshaping, flex magazine, and shows were broadcasted on ESPN?!?!  I'm not that old, but I loved that shit when I was young, totally inspired me and I'm sure it would to others if it were still on.

Sarcasm, I never said I was a beast but if someone is really 230-235 and lean...(not bloated up on tons of supps) thats pretty respectible.  I've gotten to 245 before but prefer to be around 235 and lean.  Sure, I could get to 250-260 if I wanted to but I stay lean and stay healthy.  What did Heath weigh when he wooped everyone at the Colorado and NY?  215!  Its not all about the weight, its about structure and appearance.

ANAL DISCHARGE

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2006, 12:44:15 PM »
Looks like they have some good guys.  Would love to see this federation surpass the IFBB.  The IFBB is a poor organisation and has got complacent.  Hope this new lot don't waste $ with any of this female/figure/slutfest crap.

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2006, 12:46:16 PM »
He's not mexican??   Oh my dreams have been crushed.

you guys are cool cheri.
lol, thanks Shootfighter.  Everyone always thinks he is but he is 50% native American Indian and 50% Portuguese and 100% hot.  :)

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2006, 12:46:28 PM »
Mindspin, I agree on some points but definitely not all of us are involved in the shady side.  Jack and I are professionals and don't have to rely on BBing for an income so we do this mostly for the love of the game.  
So many of the guys that lifted in the 60s, 70s and 80s and would still follow the sport are somewhat turned off to it cause of the direction the IFBB rewarded after Haney.  I know its a sliding scale but there is a distinct difference in the physiques pre early 1990s and post early 1990s and I think that has something to do with the decrease in popularity.  Remember when american muscle, bodyshaping, flex magazine, and shows were broadcasted on ESPN?!?!  I'm not that old, but I loved that shit when I was young, totally inspired me and I'm sure it would to others if it were still on.

Sarcasm, I never said I was a beast but if someone is really 230-235 and lean...(not bloated up on tons of supps) thats pretty respectible.  Sure, I could get to 250-260 if I wanted to but I stay lean and stay healthy.  What did Heath weigh when he wooped everyone at the Colorado and NY?  215!  Its not all about the weight, its about structure and appearance.

what we call "quality muscle"

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2006, 12:48:46 PM »
There was a time when people looked at bodybuilders with respect...something to aspire to...the epitome of masculinity and health.  However, the ugly truth is out.  This "sport" is riddled with drug abuse, prostitution and there is nothing healthy about it.  Further, the "muscle-bound" stereotype seems to be true.  People once thought of bodybuilders as strong and powerful.  However, that's no longer the case.  Look at what MMA has done.  You have 180lb pencil necks destroying 250 monsters. 

BBing had its shot at mainstream, but the crossover appeal was just not there.  Even with the "pretty physiques".  This "sport" is a niche and always will be.  And as such, you have to give the niche consumer what it wants...the best of the best.  Unless PDI can lure more than 1-2 tier one pros, it will not succeed. 

Yes the appeal was for the more pleasing physique.  The were more realistic to people.  You could look at Zane, Pearl, Reeves and even Arnold and dream of being like them if you got into the gym.  They were nice to look at yet didn't weigh over 200 or just over it.  They were REAL people.  Nowadays the guys are just so big and gross looking not only do people realize that they will never big that big and muscular, it just doesn't look good or healthy.

I remember the large and very loud crowds of the shows in the early 80's.  I have seen pics of hundreds of people huddle around BB's.  Wayne is bringing back this type of contest and body.  He wants to pack the venues with yelling and screaming fans again.  He wants the women to start coming to the shows again to see guys with perfect bodies.  Guys like Rhino will have their place too.  He is a huge guy and the appeal for that is still there.  The oooooh's and the aeeeeeeeeew's are going to happen when he steps on stage along with other mass monsters.  But the huge guts nearly every IFBB pro has and grotequesness just won't be around.  Every BB show is boring.  I don't think anyone will disute that.  That is why BB is so small.  You people thnk cause it is so small now it has to stay that way.  Supplement companies do not make their money on the BB fan.  They make there money off the more mainstream person who wants to lose weight, or gain a little muscle.  But these same people are not the ones who come to shows.  And their are millions of them out there.  The BB in the PDI will represent the body more people will want to look like and admire and have the possibility to look like.  Very pleasing lines and not overly buldging muscles.

To say there is not room for two BB federations is just wrong.  If that was the case then how dumb are the supplements companies now and the IFBB, the Weiders and everyone else assocaited with a show to continue to support.  The reason people are not packing the shows anymore is not because the interest is not there, it is because the shows themselves are boring, not worth the price of the ticket, and the competitors look cartoon like.

I do think there is room.  And sponsors WILL come aboard.  Because of the fact the target market will be larger.  And the image of the PDI will be much cleaner than the IFBB's. 

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2006, 12:50:30 PM »
You got it boss.  235 clean in the offseason.  Some guys only supplement safely in prep for shows.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
Re: A Look at some of the PDI Guys
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2006, 12:58:48 PM »
Pro Shows or IFBB Qualifiers like the USA's and Nationals

I am no marketing guru but just wondering if this will hurt or help the NOC, keeping people under wraps

A) Not knowing.....Will people show up wanting to see who defected???
B) Knowing...will this bring in more fans knowing who is in the show???

I actually agree with you on this.  But, I am trusting Wayne has everything ready and so far everything he has told me and said he is doing he has done.  He has a timeline and he is following it to a tee.  And different as it seems there is a reason to his madness.  If he release the big names the day before the show it will be very exciting and will bring in the crowds.  Allot more people are supporting Wayne that are against him.  And the ones who are don't count anyway.  They bring nothing to the table as it is.  Guys it is going to happen, the PDI is coming and in a big way.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2006, 01:04:43 PM »
So you're telling me you've never watched a football (or baseball, etc) game and commented on how some guy was lacking in some skill? (Pick any sport you like where you never competed in that sport - and I'm not talking about pick up football)

There would be no sports industry if your statement were valid.

The problem is that these are team sports.  Which means as a collective "team" they become champions, they are working together to be perfect.  If one guys lacks in something in real professional sports, there is another guy who makes up for it.  For indivdual sports like golf, tennis, boxing etc. if a person lacks something that doesn't make him great, then he doesn't do well and you never here of him or her ever.  BB is is not a sport.  It is an activity or pagent where you are being judged solely on the way you look and the way your body looks and the way you present it.  You don't have to have any fancy strategy up on stage, no real game plan, no defensive move in case one of the other competitors does something.  If you lack in something on stage that the others have or just one other person has then you are out.  The only problem is some judges obviously can't see straight in the IFBB

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2006, 01:06:46 PM »
lol, thanks Shootfighter.  Everyone always thinks he is but he is 50% native American Indian and 50% Portuguese and 100% hot.  :)

thanx baby!!

(your not so bad yourself!  :-*

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #95 on: May 25, 2006, 01:14:47 PM »
You got it boss.  235 clean in the offseason.  Some guys only supplement in prep for shows.

Don't let that gimp sarcasm get you all riled up, he's a soaking wet 170lbs. and that's with 20% bf ;)

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2006, 01:26:42 PM »
Bodybuilding shows are inherently boooring.  Even for many core fans like myself.  Unless you are watching a show with one of your friends in it, or a top-level show like the Olympia or Arnold, it's pretty much a yawn fest.  Once you've seen four or five guys pose, it gets monotonous.  This is why it will never cross over.  There is nothing you can do to make it more exciting.  If you start adding props, gimmicks, etc. it just perverts the "sport" for the true fans.  I do agree that getting rid of the gut-monsters will bring back some old fans, but stop kidding yourselves.  It will never be like the 80's again.  In fact, it will never be much more than what it is now.
w

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2006, 01:29:56 PM »
thanx baby!!

(your not so bad yourself!  :-*
why thank ya handsome.

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2006, 01:39:25 PM »
Bodybuilding shows are inherently boooring.  Even for many core fans like myself.  Unless you are watching a show with one of your friends in it, or a top-level show like the Olympia or Arnold, it's pretty much a yawn fest.  Once you've seen four or five guys pose, it gets monotonous.  This is why it will never cross over.  There is nothing you can do to make it more exciting.  If you start adding props, gimmicks, etc. it just perverts the "sport" for the true fans.  I do agree that getting rid of the gut-monsters will bring back some old fans, but stop kidding yourselves.  It will never be like the 80's again.  In fact, it will never be much more than what it is now.

i agree with everything written except.............
what makes it non-boring are the FREAKS!!
(lol---gut-monsters whatever you wanna call them )

some dude is like 250 lbs ripped to the bone
thats awesome!
the "pretty" smaller physiques for me are a yawn fest
some big 260 lb dude ripped posing to Godsmack or Disturbed  = wakes me up in a hurry
again it's all a matter of tastes..............

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #99 on: May 25, 2006, 03:30:37 PM »
Like I said before in another thread the most exciting and fun BB show I have ever been to in the Armed Forces show at Pearl Harbor.  From the first guy to the last guy no matter what they looked like the crowed was yelling at the top of their lungs.  It was a sellout at the theater which held about 500 people.  And people were standing all over.  It was great!  Whenver a Marine came out every Marine in the place was yelling and every other person was booing.  And it was like this the whole show for each military division.  You could at times not even hear the music.  It was awesome.  Why can't that come back.  Have a team competiton maybe between major sponsors.  The MuscleTech guys up against the MetRx guys or whatever. Make it a real competition. I think that would be fun as hell.  The winning team could split a purse between them.  Anything to boost excitement.