Author Topic: Bodybuilding Gym : Advice, Input, and Opnions  (Read 7296 times)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Re: Bodybuilding Gym : Advice, Input, and Opnions
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2006, 12:56:59 AM »
I suppose people should be able to make a living designing and outfitting gyms. Golf professionals make millions designing golf courses. Gym owners make nothing and most people expect free advice about training and set ups. I am giving advice here and not charging anything for it. Use what you like and remember the rest. There are many configurations that might work and the combinations of facilities and equipment is almost endless. It does make a difference what equipment you install if you want to attract bodybuilders and serious trainees. Of course, have good looking girls using your facility or behind the counter and that will bring more customers than the equipment will. There is a population of experienced trainees and they do know good equipment. We do have a dilemma in that bodybuilders are somewhat silly about free weights. In my opinion a good gym wouldn't have any at all. I prefer machines. However, you cannot go against decades of beliefs and most believe all sorts of rubbish such that free weights are better than machines. How would the muscles know what is putting tension on them? To tell the truth you virutally need the best machines possible to be able to build big muscles fast. Some exercises will get you only so far and then you need special machines that allow you to go even further. I don't want to argue about this here because there are way too many experts online. If someone wants to come to my gym I will be glad to give them a demonstration of what I am talking about.

Hammer has this reputation they do not quite deserve. Some of the machines are effective and others are just okay. The seated incline is a favourite and because it is effective many believe that Gary Jones knew how to design other machines for all the muscles using similar principles. Well, I don't care for most of them. It would be a good idea to get some of these machines but the ones with weight stacks and not free weights. Unless you love the sound of weights clanging and people throwing them on the floor then forget free weights. Like I said, have these machines in a separate room. Golds at Venice has an interesting layout and enough machines for enthusiasts. However, since most of that equipment was donated by equipment companies there are rooms with Nautilus or Hammer and so on. That is not the best way to lay out a gym. Function is ideal. Put all the arm machines together and all the chest and so on. That way you will have several machines for each bodypart.

Some names that have decent equipment are Nautilus, Medx, Cybex, Free Motion, Paramount. There is a proliferation of gym equipment and new machines are appearing all the time. The thing to do is take a few really experienced bodybuilders and go and try them out at various gyms or showrooms. Or attend those trade shows where the companies are demonstrating the equipment. I have seen some ingenious engineering solutions but I have seen some mistakes that shouldn't still be occurring in equipment. Biceps and triceps machines should not have pads directly under the elbows because friction on the joint can cause damage. Pivot points have to be right and you can usually try them and see if they are correct. Adjustments have to be easy to make and accommodate all individuals. Well, almost everyone. They don't make machines for 7 foot people or those who weigh over 350 pounds. So if someone is a midget they will not be able to use most machines. Most of the companies are copying each other as far as what they are offering. There haven't been many new machines released lately and that is to be expected because what is there left to make?

White is a good colour for gym equipment because you can then use a bright colour for upholstery that gives the gym a nice look about it. Other colours are fine, too. One gym had all the sections differently coloured. Chest might be yellow, while legs were green and arms red. It is something that can be ordered if you buy all of your equipment from one supplier. However, at the moment I doubt I could endorse any company as providing state of the art equipment across the line. Check out the various equipment that some companies make. Some cost more than others but might not be as good as the engineering and hype suggests. You really have to know equipment. What most gym owners do is buy the cheapest equipment they can get. They sure love to boast about bargains. If the equipment works, is quiet, strong, safe and stylish they you should be okay. Like I said, you should know what you are doing before thinking of opening a gym. If you have to ask people online about what to recommend you are in deep trouble. I am not saying this to be smart but merely point out the gym business is quite a complex one and you had better get things right or you are not going to survive.

I went to Golds Venice the day after Labor Day in September 2004. It was about noon and the place seemed to be packed. That was a surprise to me. So it is possible to make money from a hardcore gym if you set it up right and have heaps of great equipment and a reputation for being the best. That reputation might take years to establish.

Hey, if rhapsody ever opens this gym I hope I get to see it!